Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dont Draft a QB, Trade for One?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont Draft a QB, Trade for One?

Everyone has been talking about drafting Geno Smith and the likes in the upcoming off season if Sanchez doesn't right this ship.

But, would we be better served to trade for one, al la Schuab?

One that immediatlely comes to mind is Colin Kapernick.

The guy looks real good in limited time so far, was a second round pick, and may be worth looking into.

What do you all think? What other QBs could we look into trading for, and would you be OK with trading for one rather than drafting one?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should have traded for one four years ago when the team was in a win now mode and had a strong oline, running game and defense.

Now to go along with awful QB play the rest of the team has taken huge steps backwards and it looks like rebuild time. The rest of the season may tell the tale but I now think we are not good enough whether we have a QB or not to win it all.

We may have to draft a new QB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ListerFiend View Post
    Everyone has been talking about drafting Geno Smith and the likes in the upcoming off season if Sanchez doesn't right this ship.

The guy looks real good in limited time so far, was a second round pick, and may be worth looking into.

What do you all think? What other QBs could we look into trading for, and would you be OK with trading for one rather than drafting one?
    49ers are not trading him....he will be the starter is 2 years tops.

Maybe we can try for Matt Flynn since the emergence of Wilson in Seattle. Honestly I rather wait and see how the season plays out...but I think Flynn could be had relatively cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    They should have traded for one four years ago when the team was in a win now mode and had a strong oline, running game and defense.

Now to go along with awful QB play the rest of the team has taken huge steps backwards and it looks like rebuild time. The rest of the season may tell the tale but I now think we are not good enough whether we have a QB or not to win it all.

We may have to draft a new QB.
    i think they definitely need to draft one. there's no shame in it. the real shame is in trotting out the same garbage every year and the windbag hc keeps saying he's not the same garbage as last year or the year before.

the jets are in danger of losing portions of the fan base, the newer portions. people like me are unfortunately in this for the long haul but who the heck wants to watch this crap? i'm not talking about going to the game - i actually am still happy i didn't buy a few tix on stubhub yesterday for me and the kids and saved hundreds of bucks - i'm talking about setting aside the time to watch this nonsense. there's no point in watching if your team can't score. there's no point in watching if they're handing it off to greene. the product is awful. the results are awful. there's virtually no entertainment value anymore. i certainly have better things to do than watch a sulking, inaccurate qb.

this team needs a new gm, hc and qb. they need an offensive minded system and a new qb prospect to retain swaths of the fanbase.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No sense in trading for a QB. Nobody is giving up a QB that will make the kind of impact that this team needs.

We have to draft and develop one.

Only scenario I could ever see a legit QB becoming available is if things blow up again in SD. But the price would be astronomical and not worth it considering all the needs we have.

We shot for the moon and missed. Mortgaged the future by spending picks on current players trying to enhance a team that had a brief window. Now we pay the price. A multi-year rebuild.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ListerFiend View Post

We used a 4th round pick on a Wildcat QB that made a couple decent plays on us, now we want to use another on the next Wildcat QWB that made a couple plays on us? The goal is the SuperBowl, and wildcat QB's aren't winning Superbowls. This team has so many needs that now is the time to draft a QB if they're going in a different direction than Sanchez. We have no RB, WR's, TE, and the OL is crap. Why bring in a veteran QB when we have no tools to give him?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade Sanchez for Flynn

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    DRAFT A QB!

There is a rookie cap now. So you can draft one high and if he's not the franchise guy you expected you can part ways without setting the team back years.

We need a franchise QB and those rarely come in trades.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Trade Sanchez for Flynn
    I have wanted to post this for so long, LOL. Glad someone did thou.

Flynn is what jet fans are hoping Sanchez could be. A serviceable QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade Sanchez for Flynn
    This actually would make sense considering the carroll connection, the west coast, change of scenery etc. However at this point, sanchez's contract is so atrocious that seattle would be nuts to make this move.

Here is basically what flynn makes:

Flynn received a signing bonus of $6 million and a guaranteed base salary of $2 million in 2012. While not peanuts, itís less than 50 percent of the top of the market.

Things get interesting in 2013, when Flynn has another fully guaranteed $2 million but a non-guaranteed total salary of $5.25 million.

Still, itís not an excessive amount to give to a backup, especially since the starter is, by rule, locked in to his rookie contract for at least three full seasons.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    No sense in trading for a QB. Nobody is giving up a QB that will make the kind of impact that this team needs.

We have to draft and develop one.

Only scenario I could ever see a legit QB becoming available is if things blow up again in SD. But the price would be astronomical and not worth it considering all the needs we have.

We shot for the moon and missed. Mortgaged the future by spending picks on current players trying to enhance a team that had a brief window. Now we pay the price. A multi-year rebuild.
    I agree with what you are saying, but I would almost bet money we don't go after QB this offseason and we get year 5 from Sanchez with Rex and Tanny still around. Is this organization ready to do something huge like trade multiple 1st rounders to move up to get a guy like Geno Smith? I can't see it. We won't be drafting any higher than like 7 or 8, so it would require a Redskins like move to do it. The team is just not ready to go there yet. Rex will see that we end up winning 6 or 7 games and convince himself he can strengthen the D and will use the Revis and Holmes injuries as excuse for some of the poor play. Things aren't changing anytime soon, we just have to accept it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    DRAFT A QB!

There is a rookie cap now. So you can draft one high and if he's not the franchise guy you expected you can part ways without setting the team back years.

We need a franchise QB and those rarely come in trades.
    Agreed:

We can get a candidate in the 2nd next yr by the Name of Sean Renfree.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just wait until the FO trades a 3rd round pick for Drew Stanton...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    isnt sanchez locked in 1 more yr for crazy $?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I have wanted to post this for so long, LOL. Glad someone did thou.

Flynn is what jet fans are hoping Sanchez could be. A serviceable QB.
    This could actually be a viable situation.

The seahawks have obviously decided to go with Wilson because of his huge potential upside. The Hawks signed Flynn to a very manageable deal which would allow for his being traded with relative ease.

He could be a very good game manager, with potential to have a high upside.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    trade however many 1st round picks it takes for a franchize signal caller...if you believe there is 1 in the draft. that being said, these idiots also thought Sanchez had IT...so who knows.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flynn is the best QB on the bench right now. If the Jets agreed to eat a big chunk of Mark's salary, the trade might go through.

I would have said Kolb but he's currently playing well for Arizona.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade Sanchez for Flynn
    I bet carroll would do it

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drafting another quarterback with this coaching staff would be like flushing money down the toilet. The Jets have nobody in the organization who is capable of grooming and developing an NFL quarterback. Nor do they appear to have the desire to surround said quarterback with any legitimate weapons. So, if that's the team's philosophy, so be it...invest all of your assets in the trenches and have JAGs at the skill positions. If you want to be ground and pound, then commit your resources to the trenches and to the RB position. That could be a winning formula if you commit to it. But, whatever you do, don't go out and draft another QB and then ruin his career like you did Sanchez's. That would be the absolute worst use of capital this team could pursue. Trading for one would be an equally foolish use of assets. At this point, you have to let Sanchez play out his inflated contract, then bring in a journeyman QB at $8 million a year or less. In the meantime, commit all your resources to the OL and the defensive front seven.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Flynn is the best QB on the bench right now. If the Jets agreed to eat a big chunk of Mark's salary, the trade might go through.

I would have said Kolb but he's currently playing well for Arizona.
    This isn't baseball, you can't just trade one guy for another with no salary cap implications.

Whether he plays here or not, Sanchez will count as $20 million this year and $17 million next year on the NYJets cap. That's nearly 15% of the total cap. He's not going anywhere.