Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 years without a franchise QB

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

40 years without a franchise QB

While I think Sanchez is getting the shaft a bit in that he has no weapons on O - it is clear that he is not a "franchise QB" and is serviceable at best.

you would think in 40 years the Jets would get at least 1 franchise QB - instead: Richard Todd, Matt Robinson, Ken O'Brien, Pat Ryan, Browning Nagle, Boomer, Neil O'Donnel, Glen Foley, Vinny, Lucas, Chad, old Favre, Sanchez.....

blah....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowningNagle View Post
    While I think Sanchez is getting the shaft a bit in that he has no weapons on O - it is clear that he is not a "franchise QB" and is serviceable at best.

you would think in 40 years the Jets would get at least 1 franchise QB - instead: Richard Todd, Matt Robinson, Ken O'Brien, Pat Ryan, Browning Nagle, Boomer, Neil O'Donnel, Glen Foley, Vinny, Lucas, Chad, old Favre, Sanchez.....

blah....
    You can't throw the FA veteran QBs on that list. They were never intended to be the decade long starters for the franchise.

That said, you're right. I believe Kenny O'Brien is the only drafted QB to make an All-Pro team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chad probably showed the most promise, at least he did in 2002. He looked like he could be a legitimate top tier QB for many years. Then the injuries started. Sanchez has almost never looked like the guy outside of a couple playoff games (and he had almost nothing to do with qualifying for the playoffs). Ken O'Brien was pretty good, but just never quite top tier.

Vinny and Favre were already vets when they came here, as pointed out

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whats Browning Nagle doing these days?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    You can't throw the FA veteran QBs on that list. They were never intended to be the decade long starters for the franchise.

That said, you're right. I believe Kenny O'Brien is the only drafted QB to make an All-Pro team.
    Fair enough so figure 1 per decade at least:

70s - Richard Todd - not close to a franchise qb

80's: Kenny O - would have loved to see what he could do with a good OL but though decent not close to franchise

90's: Browning Nagle: complete flop

2000's so far

Chad - If he didnt blow out that already weak arm I think he could have had a real good career but not franchise QB

Sanchez - is what he is - a game mgr.

So 5 drafted shots at Franchise QBs - one each decade and each fell well short - I hate franchises like GB who go right from 15 yrs of Favre to another 15 of Rodgers....some of those fans have never lived through these QB debacles!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Whats Browning Nagle doing these days?
    I have a friend of a friend who says Nagleis in the business world and a good guy....I picked him as a user name not to mock him but more of a frustration as the symbol of Jet futility in that the Jets had Favre the top player on their board but couldnt find a way to move up 1 freaking spot to get him...settling for Browning 1 pick later. Rest is history....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We passed on Marino..... alot of teams did.... Payton Manning opted to stay in school when Jets had the overall no. 1....

Really enjoyed watching Testaverde play for Jets.... Pennington too....

really was hoping to see this kid Sanchez develop...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    We passed on Marino..... alot of teams did.... Payton Manning opted to stay in school when Jets had the overall no. 1....

You had me at Testaverde..lost me at Pennington.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez is not even a game manager. A game manager implies, conservative high % QB who does not turn the ball over. He is anything but a game manager.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    O'Brien on any other team would have been stellar.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post

This. Parcells could not guarantee Archie he would take Peyton numero uno. Parcells was in win now mode. He got them within one game, but this would have been huge.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chad was a franchise qb. But injuries derailed that.

If you give Chad the health that Sanchez has had through 4 years, it would have been a beautiful thing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chad was going to be a franchise QB but we were screwed from that.

Sanchez isn't it and it sucks... Hope the team is aggressive again and adds a guy high in the draft. It hurts having to do that, but Sanchez clearly isn't the guy.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to encourage Woody to change the administration. Send letters directly to his office expressing your outrage and threatening to dump your tickets. It's the only way that he will take action...hit him in the pocketbook.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough so figure 1 per decade at least:

70s - Richard Todd - not close to a franchise qb

80's: Kenny O - would have loved to see what he could do with a good OL but though decent not close to franchise

90's: Browning Nagle: complete flop

2000's so far

Chad - If he didnt blow out that already weak arm I think he could have had a real good career but not franchise QB

So 5 drafted shots at Franchise QBs - one each decade and each fell well short - I hate franchises like GB who go right from 15 yrs of Favre to another 15 of Rodgers....some of those fans have never lived through these QB debacles!
    If you throw in Nagle you should also list Kellen Clemens - another 2nd round draft pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    You had me at Testaverde..lost me at Pennington.

Amazing how different Vinny's career would've been if he was not legit color-blind.....and was a tad more accurate in his throws(and decision-making)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    O'Brien on any other team would have been stellar.
    O'Brien without a dunce like Walton as HC of those talented teams would have been incredible.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Sanchez is not even a game manager. A game manager implies, conservative high % QB who does not turn the ball over. He is anything but a game manager.
    Good point - I think thats what Rex wantshim to be so at his best he would be a game mgr...he was decent in that role 1st 2 yrs especially playoffs....since then awful

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    If you throw in Nagle you should also list Kellen Clemens - another 2nd round draft pick.
    Sure - add him to the list!

When looking at this list its not hard to see why the team has not been successful.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You think Chad is healthy enough to play?