Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: You're Problem Starts at Woody Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by batman10023 View Post
    and if he built a stadium in Queens you would think he's the best owner ever.
    No, but if he did his franchise would be worth a lot more money, and he would have saved a lot of money on media advertising selling tickets.

Listen, I'm not into re-arguing dead issues. The point is that Woody's first years of ownership he kept out of the football decisions and we were relatively successful - but I wouldn't exactly call one home playoff game in over 10 years of ownership a resounding success.

Once he entered into the stadium clusterfu*k he started meddling and the team has become the disaster it now is.

Do you honestly think there is no relationship between Woody needing to sell tickets and the state of the Jets on the field?
    Last edited by Queens Jet Fan; 10-01-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    When your owner is on the radio the day after one of the worst home loses in recent memory, talking about how much money is giving Mitt Romney, there is a problem. Before everyone says, oh Woody spends money! Yeah, he spent money from 2008-2010, when he had to. He needed publicity and people to buy PSL's to he told Tanny to get the best people on the market and bring in Favre, and etc. What did he do from 2000-2004? He let great players at the time like Coles, Thomas, and etc walk because they demanded more money and he didn't have to sell tickets. Now that he has his PSL's he could give a ****. He hasn't demanded Tanny put together a team. He demands headlines, like going out and signing a jail bitten Plaxico. He has become a penny saver the last two years when it comes to personnel. When we have a owner who cares about their team like the Rooneys, we will finally be okay.
    +1000

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by david1023 View Post
    Woody is a businessman, I'm pretty sure a man of his status has more on his plate than a sports franchise. The Jets are his hobby.
    Can we please put an end to this myth that Woody is a successful businessman?

Woody inherited everything he has. He has accomplished nothing of value.

This guy is a complete loser:

The Jets
    Mitt Romney
    the ref lockout (apparently he was leading the charge here)

all this guy does is take losing positions

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Unlike Leon Hess there is a corporate mentality under Woody Johnson that is just sickening. He could care less that there were as many 49er fans in the stands as Jets fans. Woody Johnson has treated the fans from day one with disrespect. It is crystal clear why Parcells and Bellicheck ran from him. As bad as Hess, just with a corporate ugliness to it. PSLs, $50 for parking, trade for Favre, "More Tebow" LMFAO
    A true corporate mentality is exactly what this franchise needs. Real, successful businesses understand that profits and value are a direct result of customer satisfaction.

Instead, we have the opposite - no business savvy, only gimmicks, not real quality focus on the product.

If Woody hired real football people and stepped aside, and this team won something for a change, he'd be rolling in even more and wouldn't have trouble selling out that stadium even if he doubled prices. This is New York after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    No, but if he did his franchise would be worth a lot more money, and he would have saved a lot of money on media advertising selling tickets.

Listen, I'm not into re-arguing dead issues. The point is that Woody's first years of ownership he kept out of the football decisions and we were relatively successful - but I wouldn't exactly call one home playoff game in over 10 years of ownership a resounding success.

Once he entered into the stadium clusterfu*k he started meddling and the team has become the disaster it now is.

Do you honestly think there is no relationship between Woody needing to sell tickets and the state of the Jets on the field?
    please share with us a better 12 year period in terms of wins and playoff appearances.

with respect to the stadium situation - i'd be a season ticket holder if they were playing games in queens, manhattan or NJ. so, i don't really care.

the JETS have doubled in value since he bought them.
    And the Jets have the highest debt service in the entire league so it's increase in value means little.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFan24 View Post
    This guy is a complete loser:

The Jets
    Mitt Romney
    the ref lockout (apparently he was leading the charge here)

all this guy does is take losing positions
    the complete loser owns a football team and you (and I) post on a message board for the team this complete loser owns.

Not true. We are $8 Mil under the cap this year and I believe we were under last year also - not to mention that he refuses to eat guaranteed money on contracts which keeps unmotivated losers on our team and in our coaches room.

They need the excess cap $ to roll over to next yrs cap like this past season

the complete loser owns a football team and you (and I) post on a message board for the team this complete loser owns.
    I hope you are smarter than to count that as an accomplishment. He inherited his money, and my support for the Jets has zero to do with this clown or your peasant mentality.

Oh. Before anyone says anything, forgive me for making your, "you're". Mental error lol.

Waterboy
    Seriously, after the Tebow trade went down I started checking out how old Woody is. When is he gonna kick? How soon can we get a new owner in here?

The good news: he's already 65. The bad news: in a very broad sense, wealthier people tend to live longer. We're probably on the hook for another two decades.

Everyone forgets what a clown Woody was (Jay Cross!) when he first took over; after firing Bradway and Herm, he shut up, took a back seat and started writing checks for a couple years. Seems like that's over with now that the stadium's been built and the team's in debt up to its eyeballs. What a disaster...

All League
    After living through The Hess years I'm happy with Woody as the owner. Maybe this is a generational difference of opinion. It also seems like its becoming a political issue to some of you because woody has been an outspoken Romney supporter (just to be clear I'm not crazy about either candidate and this isn't the forum to be discussing politics anyway)

To me he's an owner who has put money onto the field. Has made changes to coaches when he feels it's necessary. Maybe he's given too much reign to Mike T, but what can you do. As much as some of you want to forget we were in 2 AFC Championship games the last 3 years with this GM and coaching staff it's not going to change the fact we were. If he made a change before this season because we went 8-8 last year he'd be nuts. What more do you want from an owner? He stays out of the spotlight for the most part and signed some of top core players the last 2 years to long term contracts. He's also trying to get a little continuity going, because you know, that's what successful teams do.

I usually post in the Hampur and I'll go right back to there after this post. Flame away all you want, but some of you are just being opportunistic, Monday morning arm chair no it alls after a bad loss. Suck it up. We're 2-2 and only 1/4 through the season.

please share with us a better 12 year period in terms of wins and playoff appearances.
    If you are happy with 1 home playoff game and 0 championships in 12 years then good for you. Enjoy the ride.

Jets Insider VIP
    poor zippy

still Don Quixote-ing at those windmills in the Junkyards of Corona, Queens

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    They need the excess cap $ to roll over to next yrs cap like this past season
    That's what I heard last year when we were below the cap and that's probably what we will hear next year when again we will below it. The fact is during these last few years Woody has been pinching pennies and if that's not a direct result of the stadium being a clusterfu*k I don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFan24 View Post
    I hope you are smarter than to count that as an accomplishment. He inherited his money, and my support for the Jets has zero to do with this clown or your peasant mentality.
    i like Woody. Sure this year isn't looking good but the past 12 years has been much better than the previous 12 years.

the seasons we don't make the playoffs, we are still competitive.

we got a new stadium and i have seats that are comfy and it's enjoyable (generally) to go to the games versus my crappy seats before. so that's another positive.

i don't know how much of his wealth he inherited versus built for himself. i just look at the way the team has been during his time of ownership versus prior.

If you are happy with 1 home playoff game and 0 championships in 12 years then good for you. Enjoy the ride.
    you are not too old to switch your team. it's never too late for a fresh start. With the SatTV options you can now root for any team and watch all the games no matter where you live.

oh and by the way, you still didn't answer my question on what 12 year stretch was better. Maybe something starting in the late 60s?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    100% correct. Woody has absolutely zero football acumen and therefore does not understand how to build an organization.
    The guy has never worked a day in his life and hasn't run anything since his electric choo-choo train as a kid (and then there was probably a maid or butler to fix it for him if it went off the track)...why do you think he would understand anything about building an organization?

the JETS have doubled in value since he bought them.
    Funny Money.

Most of the increase is the addition of the Stadium asset, for which he is leveraged up the ying yang (as are the Giants, BTW). The Jets have $750 million of debt against a total value of $1.1 billion, giving a net value of around $300 million. The Patriots, by way of comparison, are valued at $1.4 billion with debt of around $275 million for a net "value" of around $1.1 billion. The Patriots also generate more revenue in a much smaller market.

I think it's the difference between a guy who bought a team with his daddy's money and a guy who had earned every dime he paid for his team.