Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-2, From here on out Sanchez has to play like an MVP.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

2-2, From here on out Sanchez has to play like an MVP.

This is highly improbable but Eli last year lost his main receiver, Giants had a ton of injuries but Eli kept the ship running even thru a 4 game losing streak. All is bad here and I hate to make comparisons especially like this but this season is lost if Mark doesn't elevate his game to a whole different level. I know the receivers suck (mentioning this in the beg of the year), the running game is terrible, play calling hasn't been the best, and etc. All of that is negated if Mark can somehow find his way and play out of his mind. It may or may not start in Houston but at 2-2 not all is done. There's a lot of teams that are 2-2. This team will either fold and break after the San Fran game or take it as a learning experience and grow. For a while in that game yesterday we looked like we belonged, same thing happened with Pitt but if some how we can maintain it and even elevate our game who knows. We need to force TO's, limit our TO's ... Rex has to coach his a$$ off and out-scheme nearly every coach he's going against .... but if there's ANY shot for us to do ANYTHING this season then Sanchez has to turn into a top 5 QB. Is this likely? Doubt it ... but crazier things have happened and that's the last string of hope for this season.

One last thing to mention ... Falcons traded up to get Julio Jones last year and look how its payed off for them. Just his presence has elevated their offense and Matt Ryan's game. Drafting defense in round 1 ... 3 years in a row and not thinking of upgrading Sanchez's weapons is a huge issue. Management for whatever reason doesn't think of getting a MUCH better RB, better playmakers at receivers, no upgrade with speed and etc. Also the play calling with Tony seems way too predictable. Execution is an issue too but when I campaigned for Todd Haley last year ... watching Pitt is exactly why. Quick drop plays, max protection, shots down field, diff variety of runs, misdirections, etc ... I know Haley has MUCH better weapons to work with but he knows exactly how to work with personnel. The Pitt offense looks MUCH more potent this year than last year and he's keeping Ben protected with a lot more quick released plays. I still think with Haley's roots here in NYJ he was highly interested but Rex fell in love with Tony's "attitude" ... i love Tony's mindset and attitude too but schematically I don't think he's a top OC at all.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LVP is more like it for Mark.

What we saw is what we'll have from this day forward.

Sorry but Mark is GOD-AWFUL. He makes Browning Nagle look like Dan Marino in comparison.

I'm going to make it a point to record the Jets games(without watching) since the team is unwatchable at this point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    He looked so good week 1 and 1st quarter against Pittsburgh. Frustrating to see how he's fallen apart in a couple week span.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did people think we were going to win the SB this year?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    stopped reading when I saw Eli's name mentioned. The two guys have Met Life in common, nothing else.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He can't play at the High School level and you want this a$$clown to play like an MVP. DREAM ON!!! This entire team is full of over paid loosers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    This is highly improbable but Eli last year lost his main receiver, Giants had a ton of injuries but Eli kept the ship running even thru a 4 game losing streak. All is bad here and I hate to make comparisons especially like this but this season is lost if Mark doesn't elevate his game to a whole different level. I know the receivers suck (mentioning this in the beg of the year), the running game is terrible, play calling hasn't been the best, and etc. All of that is negated if Mark can somehow find his way and play out of his mind. It may or may not start in Houston but at 2-2 not all is done. There's a lot of teams that are 2-2. This team will either fold and break after the San Fran game or take it as a learning experience and grow. For a while in that game yesterday we looked like we belonged, same thing happened with Pitt but if some how we can maintain it and even elevate our game who knows. We need to force TO's, limit our TO's ... Rex has to coach his a$$ off and out-scheme nearly every coach he's going against .... but if there's ANY shot for us to do ANYTHING this season then Sanchez has to turn into a top 5 QB. Is this likely? Doubt it ... but crazier things have happened and that's the last string of hope for this season.

One last thing to mention ... Falcons traded up to get Julio Jones last year and look how its payed off for them. Just his presence has elevated their offense and Matt Ryan's game. Drafting defense in round 1 ... 3 years in a row and not thinking of upgrading Sanchez's weapons is a huge issue. Management for whatever reason doesn't think of getting a MUCH better RB, better playmakers at receivers, no upgrade with speed and etc. Also the play calling with Tony seems way too predictable. Execution is an issue too but when I campaigned for Todd Haley last year ... watching Pitt is exactly why. Quick drop plays, max protection, shots down field, diff variety of runs, misdirections, etc ... I know Haley has MUCH better weapons to work with but he knows exactly how to work with personnel. The Pitt offense looks MUCH more potent this year than last year and he's keeping Ben protected with a lot more quick released plays. I still think with Haley's roots here in NYJ he was highly interested but Rex fell in love with Tony's "attitude" ... i love Tony's mindset and attitude too but schematically I don't think he's a top OC at all.
    Play like an MVP? Are you out of your ****ing mind?????????????????????? This is year 4, and he's getting worse. The team around him is getting worse, but if he was a rookie, these kind of performances would be understandable. When he was a rookie, the team around him was loaded, he struggled as expected, but overall they won games obviously. As a second year player, the team talent more or less stayed the same, he stepped up his game as would be expected of a player who had a full year under his belt, the team won more games, he put up some 300 yard passing performances, he led the team on some comebacks, his progression was what it should be as a second year player. His 3rd year, the team took steps backwards, and he probably did also, as the offense struggled mightily at times. Now he's in year number 4. He's not supposed to take steps backwards from here. Yes, the team has gotten worse, but because they've gotten worse, does that mean he has to throw god awfully inaccurate passes? Does that mean he has to throw into triple coverage? Does that mean he has to rifle passes on 2 yard checkdowns to make it so his sub par receivers might not catch the ball? Does that mean he has to throw an interception on a screen pass, when the play was set up to be a touchdown, just as long as he can loft the ball to his running back? Does that mean that, despite being under some pressure for some of the game, when he does actually have a clean pocket that he automatically has to miss his receiver by 10 yards because he's so skittish and so messed up that he's assuming pressure even when there is none?

Right now Sanchez looks like a guy who's ruined, maybe through almost no fault of his own, but that's what it is. He looks like a guy that could be surrounded by all pro talent, and he's so messed up mentally that he can't get out of his own way. Ever notice how every single game, the offense gets totally bogged down? As the game wears on, and they haven't made a singe play, you just know that they're either getting shut out, or for all intents and purposes shut down, ala Ravens game 2010, Packers 2010, Patriots 2010, Giants 2011, Dolphins 2011, etc etc etc. Good teams might struggle throughout the course of a game, but that doesn't exclude them from being able to do something about it and pull the game out. When the Jets and Sanchez struggle early in a game, you know they're going to do nothing the entire game. To think that Sanchez is going to play at some kind of MVP level is just beyond idiocy, and the fact is hes not going to get any support from anybody else on the offense. If Sanchez can get his season completion percentage above 50, THAT would be playing like an MVP the way things are going.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Did people think we were going to win the SB this year?
    Only on Madden

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    2-2, From here on out Sanchez has to play like an MVP.
    Sorry but Highly unlikely.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take an Average Value Player from here on out.

But with the talent and coaching around even mediocre QB play will likely get the Jets no more than 5 or 6 wins this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    MVPs play consistently well week in and week out. Sanchez has started nearly 60 games, he has never shown such consistency, why would he start now coming off the worst 3 game stretch of his career? More likely he mixes a couple good games in the rest of the season surrounded by a bunch of mediocre to bad ones. Maybe he torches the Colts and Bills. But the bad games will outweigh the good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    MVPs play consistently well week in and week out. Sanchez has started nearly 60 games, he has never shown such consistency, why would he start now coming off the worst 3 game stretch of his career? More likely he mixes a couple good games in the rest of the season surrounded by a bunch of mediocre to bad ones. Maybe he torches the Colts and Bills. But the bad games will outweigh the good.
    the Bills and The Colts are absolutely looking forward to playing the JETS.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    the Bills and The Colts are absolutely looking forward to playing the JETS.
    Colts might be, I bet their fans are circling that as a winnable game

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santonio View Post
    stopped reading when I saw Eli's name mentioned. The two guys have Met Life in common, nothing else.
    Did you see Eli's pick in the end zone in the second half, and also the almost pick right before the half in the end zone. Mark may not be the answer (Im leaning that way) but Eli has more experience but still threw a bad pass that got pick off at a crucial moment.
    I always thought that throughout Eli's career he has had a very good skill position players around him. Plaxico (in his prime) Toomer, Shockey and Barber (led the league at one time), now Cruz, Nicks, Hixon (looked better than any jet receiver), and Manningham last year. I always get ridiculed by relatives of how bad the skill position is for Mark this year , and especially last year, but Mark was still the most efficient red zone QB last year.
    That said I would pick Eli over Mark in a heartbeat. But all things are not equal when judging the QB's
    Last edited by FMJets; 10-01-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Colts might be, I bet their fans are circling that as a winnable game
    I bet EVERY team's fans are circling the Jets as a winnable game. And they wouldn't be wrong in thinking it as an automatic win either.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like the team as a whole has inherited Marks demeanor as an NFL athlete, lack of leadership. I don't see Sanchez inspiring anyone to play better, quite the opposite in fact. And I'm a huge Sanchez supporter, but if this continues, he's gotta go!

What happened to that 2009 defense? We actually improved on personnel but dropped in performance. Has so much really changed in 3 years?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like I'm eating crazy pills:

Have you guys been watching the rest of the league at all?

Sanchez doesn't have to a MVP. He simply has to be average. The league is a mess right now. Some of the best teams in the league are 2-2 and Arizona is 4-0.

Let me ask you this:

Who would you pick in a playoff game a 9-7 Giants or a 13-3 Cardinals?

How about a 9-7 Packers or a 13-3 Cardinals? 9-7 Patriots or 12-4 Bengals?

Get over a bad loss and understand that the record is what matters. There's no style points here. This isn't the subjective BS of the NCAA.

We can lose against Houston 120-0 and it won't matter if we beat Indy 3-0. This team wins ugly. That's all there is to it.

If you can't deal with that, then you don't fully grasp what being a Jets fan entails. The Jets offense hasn't been dominant since Vinny Testaverde, and that window shut when his Achilles' snapped.

This team can make the playoffs due to a ridiculously mushy schedule simply by being BELOW AVERAGE.

And I'm not even an optimist. The parity of the league isn't that there's many good teams. There's very few (Houston, San Fran) and then a bunch average to below average teams with heavy flaws.

I mean FFS New England's D just let up 4 TD's to Ryan Fitzpatrick and I'd take both Tebow and Sanchez over him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem isn't that it's just a bad loss, it's a growing concern that this team is nothing like they were even at the end of last year. There is a serious problem with this team. There is good talent on both sides of the football. The problem is the coaching.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by david1023 View Post
    The problem isn't that it's just a bad loss, it's a growing concern that this team is nothing like they were even at the end of last year. There is a serious problem with this team. There is good talent on both sides of the football. The problem is the coaching.
    No it's really a bad loss. Last season was last season. This season is new.

And I disagree. As I said, I'm not an optimist. I hated this roster before the season started. I will stand by that. I don't like the talent and I don't like not giving somebody like Coples regular playing time. You can't substantiate giving somebody like Sanchez a huge long leash and not even play a guy in a position under much less of a microscope.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is highly improbable but Eli last year lost his main receiver, Giants had a ton of injuries but Eli kept the ship running even thru a 4 game losing streak. All is bad here and I hate to make comparisons especially like this but this season is lost if Mark doesn't elevate his game to a whole different level.l.
    Please. For all thats holy and righteous, lets NEVER compare these two again. Im already on the precipice, man.

I dont hate him, i feel sorry for him. Mark Sanchez, you poor, poor fella. I dont think he could right this ship. An NFL team? On HIS back?

Start tonight in the tub Mark. Keep this baby running and afloat.
    Caillou needs you Mark. Hope you got your lifejacket lil fella!