Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up PSL's?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    .....and if in 10 years we are a consistent 13 win team with 2 Super Bowls under our belt they'll be worth 2x what we paid.

It's a 30 year gig, we're in Year 3. Judging the ROI is very silly now, not even 10% of the way into the overall timespan. If for small-business tax purposes the term 'investment' comes into play that's fine, but no fan views his PSL's that way.

SAR I
    Seriously? This team has accomplished nothing in four decades and is staring at a full rebuild. Those must be some real good pain killers you are on.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Then why did you term the PSLs "Investment Gold". Shouldnt it have been "Entertainment Gold"

Your 10 year argument is simply incorrect. Forget the past 3 days as a fan. Woody has had a BRAND NEW stadium with a team coming off an AFC championship game appearance and has still NEVER once sold every seat. This is not Green Bay or Pittsburgh....NY has more fickle fans all of whom have a million differnt things available to them on a sunday.

There is simply not a single shred of evidence to support that PSL prices will increase here.
    In my particular case, my seats are investment gold; not all seats are. I played the system to my advantage, got a location that is a great value on a given Sunday or if ever I sell the rights.

Regarding unsold seats, they simply aren't good locations or good values or they would have sold. 10,000 fans per game are buying seats a-la carte on StubHub. The stadium is full on Sunday's, few thousand upper deck seats empty, not much else.

All other NFL teams with PSL's have seen their fans pleased with the increase in value over time. New York is no different. The product needs to improve. We all know this.

Woody Johnson failed to put PSL's on the 27,500 upper deck seats. That's the problem. Those fans didn't commit to the team, they didn't feel pressure to get out of the UD into PSL seats, and they only attend games they want to via the aftermarket. That works for me as my seats are the ones they want.

There is no problem here. Fans who quit still buy tickets and go when they want. Fans who waited decades for a good view got what they wished for. TV fans are not experiencing blackouts. PSL owners spent money they had and are getting what they expected. All is good.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. They are the same thing.

You can't find a single fan that bought PSL's as an investment. They got them because they didn't have a choice if they wanted a good view and guaranteed seats in the same spot for all games.

The only people who bring up the 'investment' angle are fans who bailed on the team over a few bucks and bruised feelings. To the rest of us it was a price increase, nothing more.

SAR I
    The investment fans sold their seats last week, hence the 20k 49ers fans in the stadium... The real fans went and watched Kotite era football. Now some want to get out after one game... Got to wonder what Monday night will look like????

Interesting stat I heard on the radio the other day... NYC gets 30% of all foreign travellers that come to the US. Provides a good market place for those who sell....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sick in bed recovering from hernia surgery on some really good narcotics and I've got nothing else to do.

SAR I
    Get better... Did you sell to 49ers fans???

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkrotraz View Post
    8% is a huge interest payment. Remember we got an interest free loan for first year. When first payment was due we could pay off balance without interest. If we made an installment payment they charged us for interest for prior year at 8%, then at my next payment 12 months forward another 8%.

I and a lot of people paid if off at that moment. A PSL is like a timeshare in Disney, motor home, boat or jet skis in terms of investments. You are buying it cause you want it and it does have value and you can sell it, but at a big loss.

BTW PSLs will have value in 30 years. If they use seat location and seniority in assigning seats in new stadium my grand kids can have front row seats for next 35 years or I can buy them for someone else and charge a fee. Anyone who had seats pre-psls in old stadium, bought a PSL in a great location and held seats whole life of stadium. will do great. He also will have to be immortal but that is another issue
    Good post... totally agree, todays price of going to a game and making a day out of it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Seriously? This team has accomplished nothing in four decades and is staring at a full rebuild. Those must be some real good pain killers you are on.
    I said "if" the Jets become an elite team the PSL values will go up.

Everyone wants to talk about the downside; there's an upside too.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    .....and if in 10 years we are a consistent 13 win team with 2 Super Bowls under our belt they'll be worth 2x what we paid.

It's a 30 year gig, we're in Year 3. Judging the ROI is very silly now, not even 10% of the way into the overall timespan. If for small-business tax purposes the term 'investment' comes into play that's fine, but no fan views his PSL's that way.

SAR I
    How much did you make last week? Prob paid off close to a full installment on the PSL if you went that route.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    How much did you make last week? Prob paid off close to a full installment on the PSL if you went that route.
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    This is the part that a lot of people do not get. The PSL was a cost to do business, it is part of the overall price of the tickets. They are a necessary means to an end. NO ONE bought a PSL as an investment in the traditional sense. If you wanted good seats on a seasonal basis then you factored them in as part of the tickets costs. Now if you felt they were a rip off or didnt want to pay for them fine, you are still left with options to attend EVERY Jet game that you want to.

Like I stated earlier this season, I sold my PSLs because I was only going to a couple games a year anymore. I used that money to join a new country club, which had a bond that I had to put up to join, very similar to a PSL. If I wanted to join that club, I would have to pay the money. It was part of the cost involved with that particular endeavor.
    Which club??? If Mendham CC, we play them in Paddle.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get better... Did you sell to 49ers fans???
    Not sure who bought them, might have been Jets fans, I'll find out on Monday night.

All I know is that I wrote a check to the Jets for the 2012 season for $5,000 and I got $1,000 for just that one game. If I do the same for the Patriots contest, I'll be able to attend 8 home games at a 50% discount.

It's not my intent to skip games to subsidize the rest, but if we're going to be mediocre for a few seasons its nice to have that financial option. Next season we've got Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and (likely) Oakland which is nice to know.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    dude. that's not Coaches Club. You dont even understand where your seats are. LOL.
    the names been changed many times. right now its the suckers club for the money i paid and the results on the field. 15k psl fee each seat and 295 a game. and my craigslist buyer turned out to be a scammer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which club??? If Mendham CC, we play them in Paddle.
    Roxiticus. They have a nice paddle facility. I have only played a couple times, but have over 110 rounds of golf in this year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    the names been changed many times. right now its the suckers club for the money i paid and the results on the field. 15k psl fee each seat and 295 a game. and my craigslist buyer turned out to be a scammer.
    Did you not think through the fact that in the span of 30 years the average NFL team will suck for 10 of them?

Before putting down my PSL paperwork I took a breath and asked myself "In a 3-13 season, what's the most amount of money you're willing to blow until the Jets get good again?". And that number was not $295 per seat.

Why did you buy such expensive seats?

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    its going to be really hard pressed to send the jets renewal money for next season if this season winds up in the tank. i didnt expect the super bowl but i also didnt expect a beat down each and every game.

id rather just walk away and file it as a loss.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you not think through the fact that in the span of 30 years the average NFL team will suck for 10 of them?

Before putting down my PSL paperwork I took a breath and asked myself "In a 3-13 season, what's the most amount of money you're willing to blow until the Jets get good again?". And that number was not $295 per seat.

Why did you buy such expensive seats?

SAR I
    i made this money on a big job that included many bonuses. i had certain locations where i wanted to sit. i was ripe for the picking when i did the tour and all it wasnt my money it was someone elses i keep telling myself. but now that ive been paying the tix renewal reality has set in. it just isnt worth the money.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    its going to be really hard pressed to send the jets renewal money for next season if this season winds up in the tank. i didnt expect the super bowl but i also didnt expect a beat down each and every game.

id rather just walk away and file it as a loss.
    The mistake was made when you bought season tickets based on their CURRENT performance. Like SAR said, if you are not willing to make it through some bad seasons, then you would be better off being an "unofficial" season ticket older and just buy tickets on a weekly basis off of Stub Hub.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The mistake was made when you bought season tickets based on their CURRENT performance. Like SAR said, if you are not willing to make it through some bad seasons, then you would be better off being an "unofficial" season ticket older and just buy tickets on a weekly basis off of Stub Hub.
    i know i screwed up and it seems like a bad investment on my part at this point.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since the new stadium opened I've found several categories of fans:

1. PSL/Club seat holders that are legit fans: They wanted a good view, knew that there could be some bad seasons and games that may not be able to be sold, and bought them for a good view.

2. PSL holders who bought PSLs as an investment figuring maybe they would attend 1-2 games a year and sell the rest and make a huge profit: They will be screwed this year.

3. Upper deck seat holders who are legit fans: They didn't want to pay a PSL for many different reasons but renew their tickets every year and didn't see things as an investment but want their same seats every week.

4. Upper deck seat holders who piss and moan: Read the description

5. People who sit on the couch and are content with it and don't really post in these threads

6. People who sit on their couch and feel the urge to insult anyone with tickets to the games.

7. People who still buy tickets but buy on stubhub and are content

8. People who buy tickets on stubhub and feel the urge to discourage people from having season tickets because they could get a Houston Texans MNF ticket for below face and will sit home because 49ers tickets are way above face.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure who bought them, might have been Jets fans, I'll find out on Monday night.

All I know is that I wrote a check to the Jets for the 2012 season for $5,000 and I got $1,000 for just that one game. If I do the same for the Patriots contest, I'll be able to attend 8 home games at a 50% discount.

It's not my intent to skip games to subsidize the rest, but if we're going to be mediocre for a few seasons its nice to have that financial option. Next season we've got Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and (likely) Oakland which is nice to know.

SAR I

SAR you might have got green in your seats, but lots of red on your side.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know i screwed up and it seems like a bad investment on my part at this point.
    jets would rather have you switch seats than downgrade. Why dont you see if they have any 15K PSLs open on the Jets side lower level with the 145 face.

Those seats you wont lose money selling give they are 25 yard line lower level with a 145 face.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Roxiticus. They have a nice paddle facility. I have only played a couple times, but have over 110 rounds of golf in this year.
    cool, good way to spend $$$. Try paddle, you will be hooked quickly...