Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moves I'd like to see the team make asap that could help turn things around...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Moves I'd like to see the team make asap that could help turn things around...

Without defending Sanchez' performance yesterday, I remain steadfast in my opinion that he is a QB playing with a handicap, the 3rd year in a row that he has had to endure complete changes at WR, where the players were not brought up through the system and were changed due to FA or the draft? Playing with youth and inexperience at WR, and more importantly, without Keller, without that security blanket, Sanchez has continued to be inconsistent. Despite an outstanding start against the Bills, he's been average to awful since, but I don't think he deserves all of the blame...

That said, I believe he deserves at least one game where he can have some of these players back healthy, and with Holmes, it looks like that could be a little while, at the worst, we'll get Keller back for the Houston game, and that will be key.

But to help change things for the better I'd like to see asap:

- McKnight to be a bigger part of the offense, at RB and at WR. McKnight can add a lot as a receiver, they can use him in many of the ways the Vikings use Harvin, ot of the backfield, in the slot, at WR, McKnight is one of the best athletes on the team, he needs to be on the field.

- Keller's return is paramount for Sanchez to get back on track, it's huge, and once he's back, I'd like to see a lot more double TE sets with Keller and Cumberland. We have seen flashes of this and the potential is there IMO, and any effectiveness can help the team two-fold, it will help free up the coverages on the WR's and it will help the running game. Right now, our running game and play action does nothing to the defense, there is no threat, defenses are able to stack the box and without repercussion in the seams down field and outside due to Keller's injury and the youth and inexperience at WR. Without Hill, there was no player that could stretch the field yesterday, this hurt the passing game and the running game, and this was a big part of the problems Sanchez and the offense had yesterday.

- Offense wasn't the only problem, and while the defense was actually ok, except for not being prepared for the wildcat, we need more speed on the field. We are ok up front on the DL. I thought Coples was solid, and looked much improved, we need more of Wilkerson, Coples, and Ellis on the field because of their athleticism. We also need more athleticism and speed at LB. Pace I thought had a good game, Thomas too, but with both of those players on the field together, we need more Davis on the inside. The combination of Pace, Thomas, and Scott gives us our slowest group of LB's. I would love to see the team elevate Sapp to the roster and integrate him into rotation. Maybin continues to be absent, and McIntyre was horrible yesterday, there were several plays where he was thrown around, and he just doesn't have the athleticism to play OLB against NFL offenses. Maybin is ok in situational play, but we need big athletic LB's on the outside, Sapp has all of that, the potential is there. I'd also like to see them bring up Marcus Dowtin up. In Sapp and Downtin, you have two of the more athletic and fastest LB's we have on the team, their infusion to the defense in situations will help the middle of the field and the pass rush, add Davis to the group, and the defense suddenly has much more potential to cover large areas of the field and get to the QB with speed.

McIntyre needs to be relegated to ST's if not cut, Sapp can be brought up to replace him. The Jets can IR Revis and bring up Dowtin. ST's gets a boost with atheticism, and if Sapp and Dowtin are healthy, they have at least been with the team since training camp and will know the defense, and can add the speed and athleticism the unit lacks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dump.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    None of this makes any sense. It's football, not badminton for crying out loud!

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Without defending Sanchez' performance yesterday, I remain steadfast in my opinion that he is a QB playing with a handicap, the 3rd year in a row that he has had to endure complete changes at WR, where the players were not brought up through the system and were changed due to FA or the draft? Playing with youth and inexperience at WR, and more importantly, without Keller, without that security blanket, Sanchez has continued to be inconsistent. Despite an outstanding start against the Bills, he's been average to awful since, but I don't think he deserves all of the blame...

That said, I believe he deserves at least one game where he can have some of these players back healthy, and with Holmes, it looks like that could be a little while, at the worst, we'll get Keller back for the Houston game, and that will be key.

But to help change things for the better I'd like to see asap:

- McKnight to be a bigger part of the offense, at RB and at WR. McKnight can add a lot as a receiver, they can use him in many of the ways the Vikings use Harvin, ot of the backfield, in the slot, at WR, McKnight is one of the best athletes on the team, he needs to be on the field.

- Keller's return is paramount for Sanchez to get back on track, it's huge, and once he's back, I'd like to see a lot more double TE sets with Keller and Cumberland. We have seen flashes of this and the potential is there IMO, and any effectiveness can help the team two-fold, it will help free up the coverages on the WR's and it will help the running game. Right now, our running game and play action does nothing to the defense, there is no threat, defenses are able to stack the box and without repercussion in the seams down field and outside due to Keller's injury and the youth and inexperience at WR. Without Hill, there was no player that could stretch the field yesterday, this hurt the passing game and the running game, and this was a big part of the problems Sanchez and the offense had yesterday.

- Offense wasn't the only problem, and while the defense was actually ok, except for not being prepared for the wildcat, we need more speed on the field. We are ok up front on the DL. I thought Coples was solid, and looked much improved, we need more of Wilkerson, Coples, and Ellis on the field because of their athleticism. We also need more athleticism and speed at LB. Pace I thought had a good game, Thomas too, but with both of those players on the field together, we need more Davis on the inside. The combination of Pace, Thomas, and Scott gives us our slowest group of LB's. I would love to see the team elevate Sapp to the roster and integrate him into rotation. Maybin continues to be absent, and McIntyre was horrible yesterday, there were several plays where he was thrown around, and he just doesn't have the athleticism to play OLB against NFL offenses. Maybin is ok in situational play, but we need big athletic LB's on the outside, Sapp has all of that, the potential is there. I'd also like to see them bring up Marcus Dowtin up. In Sapp and Downtin, you have two of the more athletic and fastest LB's we have on the team, their infusion to the defense in situations will help the middle of the field and the pass rush, add Davis to the group, and the defense suddenly has much more potential to cover large areas of the field and get to the QB with speed.

McIntyre needs to be relegated to ST's if not cut, Sapp can be brought up to replace him. The Jets can IR Revis and bring up Dowtin. ST's gets a boost with atheticism, and if Sapp and Dowtin are healthy, they have at least been with the team since training camp and will know the defense, and can add the speed and athleticism the unit lacks.
    Offense was the only problem.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Play at Citi Field or at Hofstra! A team without it's own stadium is pretty pathetic! I think that pretty much sums everything up. SCREW YOU WOODY!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're on a downward spiral Ray. I admire you're still optimistic, but there's no way to stop the bleeding on this. It's pretty adamant after yesterday there are some major changes coming.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keys to fixing the offense:

start powell
    sign gaffney
    get keller healthy
    make hill catch the ball

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe.M should of been a big part of the offense Week 1. Instead he's been sent to the D where he is obviously not happy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not saying McKnight is CJ Spiller, but they're about the same size. Couldn't hurt sticking him in there and seeing if he can create something.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's NO helping Sanchez at this point. He is Kentucky Fried Chicken. The guy is done. Although Rex is still going with him in the Texans game, Rex is going to learn first hand that Sanchez will NEVER be the answer.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sit Mark's lousy ass and hope that maybe Tebow can provide a spark.

Even the most die hard Sanchez supporters are beginning to see things for what they are. The kid isn't the future of this team, period.

Stop treading water and end this charade.

Is Tebow the answer? Probably not.

But we know for a fact that Sanchez isn't and at least Tebow can make some plays with his legs. We know he won't wilt like a scared pu$$y under pressure either.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Keys to fixing the offense:

start powell
    sign gaffney
    get keller healthy
    make hill catch the ball
    I posted this earlier, note the title doesn't include the word 'Fix'

How to stop the bleeding... on the field

Offense

I do not know how the offense practices, but in most cases you play like you practice, and when the ball is snapped everyone on offense is moving at different speeds and what looks like their own agenda. There is zero accountability, a theme blazing through the entire organization.

The screen that was intercepted is a whole microcosm whole of the situation IMO. It was the perfect play call in that situation. First problem, we are throwing it to Greene who would have needed to set up his blockers and use actual vision. Why the hell would Powell or McKnight be catching that pass? Sanchez has to get that ball over the defender, and get more depth in that drop. There are no excuses, it's a four yard pass. Here was a situation they moved the chains twice already, had a big play called and it ends up in the other teams hands.

Sanchez has missed a ton of throws, and has saddened me to the point I've almost given up, but I think that topic will and has drawn it's own attention in separate threads.

Powell, needs to play and there should be no excuse. Even over McKnight, he is heady, picks up blocks and be reliable. Some have said this, also why not go sign someone like Jabar Gaffney. With Holmes out, he is someone who can run good routes, get open and is not over the hill. Instead they have someone like Clyde Gates in the huddle who provides nothing, no development, no future. He's suppose to "know the offense" but can't even be discipline enough to run a crisp route. Give me a break.

Greene, Keller, Holmes.... thanks, but no thanks you've all done it to yourselves.

Defense

The d-line has been a mess. They can not stop the run. Pouha has come back from injury and looked nothing like he has in the past. Ellis has shown flashes and is still developing but is still inconsistant in stopping the run. However, both are getting blown off the ball especially yesterday against a team that you know is going to run it. Coples has finally started to get some playing time. There is no other option but to play this kid. Moose Johnson said it yesterday, when Coples makes a nice play and then comes out, that he didn't understand why that would be the case, and I agree.

The tackling in general are all arm tackles. The D-line can not shed a block forcing linebackers to fill and tackle and hang for their lives against RB's. Aaron Maybin is nowhere to be found and the lacking defense against the run is probably the reason. Something needs to change, because as well as terrible tackling against the run, game there is no pass rush. I can't remember the last time they have sent a DB on a blitz to generate something.

The pass defense statistically has been ok, but Kyle Wilson's finger-waving self, is going to get burned sooner or later. Rex's answer; sign another DB. How about adding a another TE or WR, you incompetent baffoon!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ray, I never seen you place so much thought into a post.

I am with you on McKnight, and would go with a 2 TE -1RB set, This should increase the pass protection and give help to the oline when running the ball.
    having Kerley running 3s and short posts and the other WO running outs and stop and gos will free up the middle as those routes will have the OLBs spreading out wide. allowing dump offs to the TE and RB.

On D, go to a more aggressive 4-2-5 with Harris and Davis in there on the strong side, and with Landry in the box almost as a 3rd backer.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bad thread Ray, but mostly amounts to hoping that guys that are somewhat known quantities all of a sudden playing way over their heads. You can't coach lack of talent unfortunately. The mistakes made by Tannenbaum now pervade the entire team. Before the D got by even when he made bad moves, now it has been exposed as well. The offense? Almost not even worth mentioning, the "big" move for Tebow this offseason really says it all about Mike T's command on building on that side of the ball.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    You incompetent baffoon!
    If Shonn Greene trots out as the starter on Monday night, then it's clear ( to me at least) that this expression applies to Rex.

Rex's career is not all that different from Herm's. Both started hot, with Rex bringing to defense what Herm supposedly brought in terms of motivation. Players supposedly would run through walls for either coach.

Both later fired an offensive coordinator. Jets Nation celebrated. But then there was literally no improvement from the subsequent coordinator.

Sadly, I think the Rex Ryan era may end in a similar fashion. Tossed aside after showing so much initial potential, and lampooned by Jets fans for his ill-timed and false bravado.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    There's NO helping Sanchez at this point. He is Kentucky Fried Chicken. The guy is done. Although Rex is still going with him in the Texans game, Rex is going to learn first hand that Sanchez will NEVER be the answer.
    + 1 million

Sanchez did not throw that lazy ass int where Shonn Greene was wide open because of the lack of weapons around him; Ray, I respect you, but stop please. Or that stupid sack fumble again deep inside SF territory that instead of at least 7-3 at the half made it 10-0 and lights out.

Ray-Ray
    "Come on Man"

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    start mcelroy (interim)
    apply glue to hills hands
    put a cheeseburger sticker on the ball and play ellis
    cut teblow
    sign TO and chad johnson(our locker room can't get worse)
    play maybin
    sign ratliff/clowney
    trade sanchez for t. richardson
    win superbowl
    /thread

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray you need help!!! That's the biggest change I'd like to see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Offense was the only problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    I posted this earlier, note the title doesn't include the word 'Fix'

How to stop the bleeding... on the field

Offense

I do not know how the offense practices, but in most cases you play like you practice, and when the ball is snapped everyone on offense is moving at different speeds and what looks like their own agenda. There is zero accountability, a theme blazing through the entire organization.

The screen that was intercepted is a whole microcosm whole of the situation IMO. It was the perfect play call in that situation. First problem, we are throwing it to Greene who would have needed to set up his blockers and use actual vision. Why the hell would Powell or McKnight be catching that pass? Sanchez has to get that ball over the defender, and get more depth in that drop. There are no excuses, it's a four yard pass. Here was a situation they moved the chains twice already, had a big play called and it ends up in the other teams hands.

Sanchez has missed a ton of throws, and has saddened me to the point I've almost given up, but I think that topic will and has drawn it's own attention in separate threads.

Powell, needs to play and there should be no excuse. Even over McKnight, he is heady, picks up blocks and be reliable. Some have said this, also why not go sign someone like Jabar Gaffney. With Holmes out, he is someone who can run good routes, get open and is not over the hill. Instead they have someone like Clyde Gates in the huddle who provides nothing, no development, no future. He's suppose to "know the offense" but can't even be discipline enough to run a crisp route. Give me a break.

Greene, Keller, Holmes.... thanks, but no thanks you've all done it to yourselves.

Defense

The d-line has been a mess. They can not stop the run. Pouha has come back from injury and looked nothing like he has in the past. Ellis has shown flashes and is still developing but is still inconsistant in stopping the run. However, both are getting blown off the ball especially yesterday against a team that you know is going to run it. Coples has finally started to get some playing time. There is no other option but to play this kid. Moose Johnson said it yesterday, when Coples makes a nice play and then comes out, that he didn't understand why that would be the case, and I agree.

The tackling in general are all arm tackles. The D-line can not shed a block forcing linebackers to fill and tackle and hang for their lives against RB's. Aaron Maybin is nowhere to be found and the lacking defense against the run is probably the reason. Something needs to change, because as well as terrible tackling against the run, game there is no pass rush. I can't remember the last time they have sent a DB on a blitz to generate something.

The pass defense statistically has been ok, but Kyle Wilson's finger-waving self, is going to get burned sooner or later. Rex's answer; sign another DB. How about adding a another TE or WR, you incompetent baffoon!

Always enjoy reading your posts. Nicely stated.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    If Shonn Greene trots out as the starter on Monday night, then it's clear ( to me at least) that this expression applies to Rex.

Rex's career is not all that different from Herm's. Both started hot, with Rex bringing to defense what Herm supposedly brought in terms of motivation. Players supposedly would run through walls for either coach.

Both later fired an offensive coordinator. Jets Nation celebrated. But then there was literally no improvement from the subsequent coordinator.

Sadly, I think the Rex Ryan era may end in a similar fashion. Tossed aside after showing so much initial potential, and lampooned by Jets fans for his ill-timed and false bravado.
    Rex Drafted a Franchise QB or so he told us.Herm did what he did with a Kid who had a decent arm which got worse over time.Herm was a leader something this boob is not.

If Herman Edwards got half the support Mangini and Ryan did,the jets would never need either of those Jokers.