Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: "It's about as bad as it gets boys..."

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

"It's about as bad as it gets boys..."

Watching Sunday Soundtracks on ESPN during halftime and I heard Rex say that into his mic. I cringed. It's just embarrassing. I know you can't win them all, and sometimes you get beat down, but I just hate to see this. I'm hoping we see an epic turnaround, but with our recent history, I'm skeptical.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex deserves this. He has built a team on smoke and mirrors. His an Tannys inability to judge and coach talent has this team in this position. This guy doesn't have a clue and most homer jerkoff fans just don't see it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, it could get much worse. Consider the aftermath of the Marino Fake Spike game in 1994:

"A staggering defeat," moaned Pete Carroll. "We should have put this game away so many times." Boomer Esiason was more bullish, predicting "this team will not collapse." But collapse they did and spectacularly at that. They ended up losing all of their remaining games that season, sliding to a 6-10 record and finishing bottom of the division. Carroll got the boot, and his replacement? None other than Rich Kotite. The Jets would end up with a record of 4-33 from that game until the arrival of Bill Parcells.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Oh, it could get much worse. Consider the aftermath of the Marino Fake Spike game in 1994:

"A staggering defeat," moaned Pete Carroll. "We should have put this game away so many times." Boomer Esiason was more bullish, predicting "this team will not collapse." But collapse they did and spectacularly at that. They ended up losing all of their remaining games that season, sliding to a 6-10 record and finishing bottom of the division. Carroll got the boot, and his replacement? None other than Rich Kotite. The Jets would end up with a record of 4-33 from that game until the arrival of Bill Parcells.
    its already a bad week, why do this?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

To think how far Carroll has come. I'm loving the Seahawks Defense and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't INSANELY jealous of their drafting. I know you can't give Carroll full credit, but I like what I see out of the Seahawks. I'm 21, so I havent been up to date on the many decades of Jets football. I was CRUSHED when I found out we had Carroll in this organization and we gave him the boot. Of course, he's matured and wizened since his stint nearly 20 years ago, but still.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I've brought this up in a couple of threads. When you decide to clean house...it can go from bad to epic Kotite proportions.

So when Woody decides to end the Tanny-Rex Era...and do the circle-jerk regime change again. I hope he does it slow and carefully. Consult knowledgeable football people to help develop a plan for moving forward. Have something in place before making drastic moves. Then hope for the best...cause the worst can happen.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasJetsFan View Post
    To think how far Carroll has come. I'm loving the Seahawks Defense and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't INSANELY jealous of their drafting. I know you can't give Carroll full credit, but I like what I see out of the Seahawks. I'm 21, so I havent been up to date on the many decades of Jets football. I was CRUSHED when I found out we had Carroll in this organization and we gave him the boot. Of course, he's matured and wizened since his stint nearly 20 years ago, but still.
    Carroll also failed in New England before going to USC

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Carroll also failed in New England before going to USC
    Always thought they bailed to quick on Carroll...especially replacing him with clueless Kotite!

Carroll was perfect for the college game when he went there - looks like he has finally developed into a good NFL coach as well.....although it was sleazy the way he snuck out of USC just as sanctions were to hit!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowningNagle View Post
    Always thought they bailed to quick on Carroll...especially replacing him with clueless Kotite!

Carroll was perfect for the college game when he went there - looks like he has finally developed into a good NFL coach as well.....although it was sleazy the way he snuck out of USC just as sanctions were to hit!
    I thought they did too, but then again I was only 9 years old at the time.

I'm still going to reserve my judgment on him in Seattle. I think Schneider has done some really good drafting and made some savvy acquisitions. If he can get his team to the playoffs again, I'll probably change my tune.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just checked out the cap page for 2013 - am I correct in seeing Sanchez and Holmes are locked in at $20M next season and if they are cut there is literally no savings so they are on the books for $25M no matter what? Please tell me Im reading this wrong...

If not it is clear as day that Tanny must go....hope Im wrong though

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Pete should have NEVER been fired. he wasnt that bad and deserved a 2nd year. That said..I still cringe of the memory of Leon Hess introducing Kotite saying..."I want a SB before I die". Doctors were standing by.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasJetsFan View Post
    21? Living in texas? Run as fast as you can from the JETS before the cement dries around your ankles. That said...we'll see about Pete. I like him but he's no Parcells.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Why?
    In the words of the late Leon Hess, Kotite was "a builder" a "dese and dose" guy.

We have a similar owner today who cant see that Tanny and Rex are the same kind of clueless, inept football guys as Kotite (but funnier and give a hell of a press conference)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just checked out the cap page for 2013 - am I correct in seeing Sanchez and Holmes are locked in at $20M next season and if they are cut there is literally no savings so they are on the books for $25M no matter what? Please tell me Im reading this wrong...

If not it is clear as day that Tanny must go....hope Im wrong though
    You are not reading it wrong.

Well, actually, you are. It's $28 million, not $25 million - $17 mil for Sanchez, and $11 for Holmes. And, yes, that's whether they are on the team or not in 2013.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Noose View Post

Well, actually, you are. It's $28 million, not $25 million - $17 mil for Sanchez, and $11 for Holmes. And, yes, that's whether they are on the team or not in 2013.
    tanny figured that by then, sanchez's development or lack of it would be complete. if he improved, all is ok. if he didn't, tanny figured that he's canned anyway. he set up the team for a short-term run, and figured that if the team imploded, he's gone anyway so what's the difference?

the team will suck this year, and next year will be the first transition year. after next season the team will really look different, b/c sanchez, tebow and revis wont' be there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an offense worth firing all by itself. Forget adding Gholston or Favre or Tebow. Tannenbaum putting a team in salary cap hell for mediocre (or non-existent) talents is utter negligence.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

....thats awful - that tell me Rex has to stand by Sanchez...cant have a $17M backup...would look like idiots. They'll go down with the ship...

Some good news - finally shedding some bums like Smith, Scott and Pace - I have $30M under the cap even with Sanchez and Holmes...add in draft picks and bonuses cancelled out by some renegotiation tweaks and they should be able to add a good player or 2 - but 2014 is the year where they lose those 2 anchors and open up another $30M....hopefully a new GM will come in and use it wisely.

Bottom line though - get used to seeing Holmes and Sanchez - both are not going anywhere -

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    tanny figured that by then, sanchez's development or lack of it would be complete. if he improved, all is ok. if he didn't, tanny figured that he's canned anyway. he set up the team for a short-term run, and figured that if the team imploded, he's gone anyway so what's the difference?

the team will suck this year, and next year will be the first transition year. after next season the team will really look different, b/c sanchez, tebow and revis wont' be there.
    The cap troubles are this year and next year. After next year the cap opens up and will allow them to truly rebuild.

But it has to start now by NOT making any big signings and accept that next year is a down year too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    The cap troubles are this year and next year. After next year the cap opens up and will allow them to truly rebuild.

But it has to start now by NOT making any big signings and accept that next year is a down year too.
    right. tanny's vision ended next season. so next year, the team won't sign any big FAs b/c the team won't be in contention. but after next year a lot of guys will be gone and hopefully they'll have a new qb to build around.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Pete should have NEVER been fired. he wasnt that bad and deserved a 2nd year. That said..I still cringe of the memory of Leon Hess introducing Kotite saying..."I want a SB before I die". Doctors were standing by.

21? Living in texas? Run as fast as you can from the JETS before the cement dries around your ankles. That said...we'll see about Pete. I like him but he's no Parcells.
    I moved to NY about 10 years ago, I'd say the cement is fairly solid around my ankles haha. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a little part of me that wishes my 11 year old self had not written off the Texans completely after watching them get crushed when they first started. Now would be a good time to be a Texans fan. Alas, I've picked my sides for better or worse

As for how long it's going to take the Jets to fix this mess, I had written a long essay on what moves could be made this offseason, but when you put the cap numbers into perspective, it looks bleak, at least for another year.