Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The turning point of the Rex Ryan era

Question The turning point of the Rex Ryan era

4:15 PM
    December 18th, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

The Jets were 8-5, and had their playoff destiny in their own hands. Win against the mediocre Eagles, Giants, and Dolphins and they were IN. The game was over before the end of the first half.

Luckily, we got some help and were still in the playoffs if we could just beat the hapless Giants and Dolphins. We all know what happened in those last two games. I'll gloss over them for obvious reasons.

Since kickoff on 12/18/2011, the Jets have lost 9 of 11.

Sanchez's offense has pretty much always been weak, but what really changed about the team after the Philly game was the defense. It seems like the tenacious Rex Ryan defense disappeared in Philly that day.

Where did it go? Has anyone seen it since then? What happened?

-----

It's okay though, because there's another turning point coming this week.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd_Times_A_Charm View Post
    December 18th, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

The Jets were 8-5, and had their playoff destiny in their own hands. Win against the mediocre Eagles, Giants, and Dolphins and they were IN. The game was over before the end of the first half.

Luckily, we got some help and were still in the playoffs if we could just beat the hapless Giants and Dolphins. We all know what happened in those last two games. I'll gloss over them for obvious reasons.

Sanchez's offense has pretty much always been weak, but what really changed about the team after the Philly game was the defense. It seems like the tenacious Rex Ryan defense disappeared in Philly that day.

-----

I agree. Rexshould have been fired after the giants game. You can't spend three years saying your the best team in NYC, then loose to a crappy giants team. This was the end of Rex.

I think this week will be the real test for Rex's leadership skills. Can he somehow bring this team together after Sunday's debacle ? Or does the team tell him forget it and quit on him for the rest of the season ? The Jets performance in the Houston game will be telling.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'll say it even turned a bit earlier, in the Baltimore game. Already this yr we've been outclassed in 2 games. Those 4 games don't bode well for improvement.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Jets are still making the headlines, Woody is very happy.

I'm kind of thinking that that this is another step in the evolution of Rex. Think he is going to be much more demanding and will hold people accountable. Basically, moving away from a "players coach" to being more of a "hardliner".

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I think this week will be the real test for Rex's leadership skills. Can he somehow bring this team together after Sunday's debacle ? Or does the team tell him forget it and quit on him for the rest of the season ? The Jets performance in the Houston game will be telling.
    Jets have to come out fighting against the Texans. I don't expect them to pull out a win there. But the Jets have to show up and play them tough. Play smart...be physical and competitive. That's what undermanned and less talented teams do...when they have pride in themselves.

And if you play like that. Then you have a chance to win against those teams on the schedule considered "beatable." If the Jets are going to play like poop in Houston. Then their sh!t's gonna smell everywhere they play.

Then you have no real options but to just dump the odorous culprits...and move on. Which may include both Tanny-Rex...and not just players.

And every time...over these past 40+ years that the Jets have been doing their usual circle-jerk change of regimes...it has never ended well. Not a single Lombardi Trophy has been added since the days of Joe Willie.

So yea...this is going to be a telling game in Houston indeed. Either Jets play like a team that can maybe get 10 W's from their schedule, against the softer teams. Or they continue the downward spiral that leads them to once again do the circle-jerk dance we're all too familiar with.

All Pro
    You want a turning point for the current state of the NYJ - I personally look no further than the signing of Santonio Holmes.

He's a bad seed.

Sure there are lots or problems, SAnchez and the rest but I look forward to the day Santonio is shown the exit - after 2013 to be exact.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    I'm kind of thinking that that this is another step in the evolution of Rex. Think he is going to be much more demanding and will hold people accountable. Basically, moving away from a "players coach" to being more of a "hardliner".
    Evolution?

He's a joke and his players quit on him.

He's done.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Evolution?

He's a joke and his players quit on him.

He's done.

SAR I
    Who do you want to coach the Jets?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Rex is done in my books... that cheapo woody will stick by him though

maybe the jets just don't have as much talent as they have been hyped to have? both lines should be much better than they have been thus far and it all starts with line play. for all of greene's inability to gain yards let's see what happenes when the oline actually does blow a hole open and greene hits it clean. if he goes down after being it by a corner then greene is a problem. same thing with the dline. they had some guys coming clean against the steelers. where are they now?

sanchez? he's looking pretty tentative of late. maybe sitting him a game or two won't be so bad. if things keep up he'll only get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd_Times_A_Charm View Post
    December 18th, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

-----

Wait... what?

Are you really counting preseason?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Who do you want to coach the Jets?
    I don't care.

Not Rex Ryan. Not a rookie.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I agree. Rexshould have been fired after the giants game. You can't spend three years saying your the best team in NYC, then loose to a crappy giants team. This was the end of Rex.
    Anyone other than an elite HC (Cowher, Gruden etc...) that comes in here will fail. Ownership and GM are the problem. When you have a non football type owner like Woody you need to make up for it with a GM who know football. Tannenbaum needs to go. He has dismantled this team. No big talent and no depth. Just average at best accross the board.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I don't care.

Not Rex Ryan. Not a rookie.

SAR I
    Chucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Wait... what?

Are you really counting preseason?
    Don't you understand the importance of preseason ??

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    I'll say it even turned a bit earlier, in the Baltimore game. Already this yr we've been outclassed in 2 games. Those 4 games don't bode well for improvement.
    I saw it too. For no apparent reason you could see the wind come out of the sails during that game. It would be interesting to know what happened.

Rex will stay for another year, It is not fair to a new coach to start a team with so many FA. What is needed is a new player personnel guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieT View Post
    Anyone other than an elite HC (Cowher, Gruden etc...) that comes in here will fail. Ownership and GM are the problem. When you have a non football type owner like Woody you need to make up for it with a GM who know football. Tannenbaum needs to go. He has dismantled this team. No big talent and no depth. Just average at best accross the board.
    You are 100% correct.

Woody has no clue about what type of team he is looking to build nor does his GM hence we see the wild swings in the direction, movement and philosophy of running the team from year to year.

Think about it, first it, was continuity for Herm following Parcells (note that wasn't what Herm wanted) (anti-Pats); then be like the Pats (enter Mangini), then don't be like the Pats again but go in an entirely different direction, "Ali lite", enter Rex Ryan.

Rex be the Bad talking, sassy, take no prisioners appraoch and get your butt kicked at the crucial moment, that is why I call it Ali lite. See Ali won at the crucial moment while these Jetslost. They key here is to note the wild swings between what the Jets molded themselves to be!!

The key is Mr. Johnson has to ask and which poorly run corporations fail to ask is: What are our "core values" around which everyone in the organization must be held accountable to? What do we stand for?

Since the owner nor the GM has no a clue as to the anwsers to these questions you see the result that you see on the field, a team lacking in talent and direction at crucial moments. It all starts at the top from the teams purpose and the fact that Woody hasn't run anything.

See our owner is making the same mistake that people in general make when they start a business. They just think they have some dough that is enough and it is not.

You ask them what is their purpose and they say "to make money" or in the Jets case "to win a championship" well that is all well and good but that is confusing outcome with purpose or means. Everyone wants to make money or win a championship. No one starts a busineess to lose money or not win a championship. So that answer shows you are clueless at a level. The Jets have to know that your outcome is what you want to achieve but your purpose or values determine the road you need to get there.

For example, people might think that Bellichick is a lucky, cheating demon but one thing is clear, he has a definite corporate purpose that the owner has permitted to become the organizational purpose. They dub it the "Patriots way." Are they the only ones? No, think of the "Raiders Way" etc. Slogans like "to play like a Jet" have to be a fabric in the culture for them to reveal core values.

In the end and until we get this right we will NOT WIN!!!! Organizations win championships.

It is simple as that.