Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The turning point of the Rex Ryan era

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Who do you want to coach the Jets?
    I have defended Ryan for a long time here and still think he will be back in 2013 because our owner HATES spending money and rex and tanny are under contract in 2013.

That being said, Rex has to be wearing on the patience of even his biggest supporters. He simply does not change quick enough....we are still playing shonne greene after he has proven ineffective (and that is just one example).

If he has to go, the coach that we would want here is Gary Patterson. He is arguably the best defensive coach vs the spread offense in the NCAA, is one of the architects of the 4-2-5 which is where the NFL is going, and has run an overachieving program for years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember the EXACT same 'every man needs to take a break ..look at himself in the mirror ... And ask himself "how can I improve" ?' speech after the dolphins debacle at the end of last year ... And he uses it 5 games later after last week's blowout ?

Fact is ... Guy don't follow losers ... Did Rommel kindly follow Hitler ? No ... He tried to have him removed from command.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    I'm kind of thinking that that this is another step in the evolution of Rex. Think he is going to be much more demanding and will hold people accountable. Basically, moving away from a "players coach" to being more of a "hardliner".
    You can not transition from a players coach to a "hardliner". It is management 101, you can go from disciplinarian to more employee friendly (like Tom Coughlin), but transitioning the other way does doesnt work.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two points. First, the turning point was the end of last season when Rex admitted that he lost the "pulse" of the team. That should have led to his exit right there. Second, as far as who might coach this team down the road, it will be tough to get one of the Gruden, Cowher type of guys to come into this situation. The team is in salary cap hell, has no QB, and an owner who seems to care more about publicity than winning. You may need to go to one of the "retread" type of guys who really want back into the league, a Fassel or Billick type, if you want prior head coaching experience. Other than that, it's a "hot" NFL coordinator, or a college guy. Think all this coaching change stuff is premature, but a couple of more performances like the last one and it might not be.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    The Jets are still making money, Woody is very happy.
    FTFY

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd_Times_A_Charm View Post
    4:15 PM
    December 18th, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

The Jets were 8-5, and had their playoff destiny in their own hands. Win against the mediocre Eagles, Giants, and Dolphins and they were IN. The game was over before the end of the first half.

Luckily, we got some help and were still in the playoffs if we could just beat the hapless Giants and Dolphins. We all know what happened in those last two games. I'll gloss over them for obvious reasons.

Since kickoff on 12/18/2011, the Jets have lost 9 of 11.

Sanchez's offense has pretty much always been weak, but what really changed about the team after the Philly game was the defense. It seems like the tenacious Rex Ryan defense disappeared in Philly that day.

Where did it go? Has anyone seen it since then? What happened?

-----

It's okay though, because there's another turning point coming this week.
    It's a combo of a few things.

First and foremost is the players completely lost faith in Rex and the entire staff.
    The NFL has figured out his style of D. Stats don't mean crap. All the homers around here kept talking about how the Jets D was a top 5 d. That means nothing. This d has not looked like a top D since the loss to the Steelers.

It's painfully obvious that Tanny and Rex are really bad at evaluating talent and ability.

Rex and his staff are just not very good at coaching. Week in and week out, the players continue to fail and we are the only team that can't make actual game time adjustments.

Rex is so convinced that he's a great coach and he's not. In the real world, you need to surround yourself with people that are at your level or better. I can't name one coach on his staff that would be considered for any spot anywhere in this league.(Westoff is good, but he's retiring)

But everyone loves Rex and his wonderful banter, the smoke and mirror show is over. He actually has to coach, but he can't.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    While that Philly game was atrocious, I think the beginning of the end of the Rex Ryan era was that Victor Cruz 99 yard TD. Just my opinion...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post

Rex and his staff are just not very good at coaching. Week in and week out, the players continue to fail and we are the only team that can't make actual game time adjustments.

Rex is so convinced that he's a great coach and he's not.

I've gotta say this is true. As CMart has pointed out, virtually no players have improved during Rex's tenure while many have stagnated or gotten worse. That's a sign of poor / nonexistent coaching.

Rex can run his mouth all he wants but the proof is the play on the field. And his staff has not done a good job either developing players or game planning.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This game will tell you what you need to know. If we come out and get bullied on the field, they quit on Rex. And it's ****ing early October..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexamillion5592 View Post
    While that Philly game was atrocious, I think the beginning of the end of the Rex Ryan era was that Victor Cruz 99 yard TD. Just my opinion...
    Agreed. The D was playing lights out that day and that was the icing on the cake. They went into halftime defeated and you saw it in the 2nd half.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The turning point is week 6.

Not this week. He gets another pass this week because they are playing the best team in the NFL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexamillion5592 View Post
    I agree, the Jets make the playoffs if that play is stopped.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The turning point was the first half of the AFCG in Pittsburgh.

The Rex Ryan Era jumped the shark when Bart Scott told Sal Paolantonio "Can't Wait!"

Turns out he could and we, unfortunately, will have to keep waiting as well.