Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does Belacheat do it?

How does Belacheat do it?

The one bright spot on Sunday was looking up at the board and seeing the Pats down 21-7. And then it was 53 or 58 points on the Pats side.

The Giants last year as well. We were actually doing pretty well with all the passing in the first half, and when the second started they shut it right down.

It's like other coaches have a team of people analyzing every step of the 1st half with the goal of coming up with a completely modified game plan for the second.

I don't think we ever see that with Rex. I'm really starting to buy into the idea that it's the coaches more than the players

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    The one bright spot on Sunday was looking up at the board and seeing the Pats down 21-7. And then it was 53 or 58 points on the Pats side.

The Giants last year as well. We were actually doing pretty well with all the passing in the first half, and when the second started they shut it right down.

It's like other coaches have a team of people analyzing every step of the 1st half with the goal of coming up with a completely modified game plan for the second.

I don't think we ever see that with Rex. I'm really starting to buy into the idea that it's the coaches more than the players
    In this case, the Pats were playing sloppy ball in the first half and handed the Bills 14 points which also crushed their own drives (via turnovers). In the second half, they held on to the ball and with the exception of a garbage time TD by the Bills, worked them over the coals. Moral of the story: Eliminate the dumb things and good things will happen to your team.

They have an all world QB....

The reality is the offense does affect the defense. Sure he makes half-time adjustments but it's mostly about being able to continually having long sustained drives down and the field for TD's.

Keeping your D off the field...

He's wicket smaht.

All League
    Two things - a OL that gives your QB 6+ seconds to pass the ball and probably the best QB we have seen in the last 20 years. That is why each year he can afford to tinker with the lineup b/c Brady makes his players better.

Belichick looks at the other team and looks for a weakness he can exploit. He also has several different plans in place and at half time of a game he will easily change gears and adjust.

The jets think, run the ball and play defense. At half time if they are getting munched they think....run the ball and play defense.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    They have an all world QB....

The reality is the offense does affect the defense. Sure he makes half-time adjustments but it's mostly about being able to continually having long sustained drives down and the field for TD's.

Keeping your D off the field...
    Correct...

They have a once in a lifetime QB. It's that simple.

Belichick is a good coach, but imo no different than someone like Andy Reid, Fisher, or Tomlin. Just a good coach who got a great QB.

The truly impressive coach right now worth mentioning is Jim Harbaugh. that is not a very good QB in Frisco but they play fantastic football regardless.

I saw the game on Direct Tv. If the Bills had an actual NFL Secondary they would have won that game and the Cheats would be 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Belichick looks at the other team and looks for a weakness he can exploit. He also has several different plans in place and at half time of a game he will easily change gears and adjust.

The jets think, run the ball and play defense. At half time if they are getting munched they think....run the ball and play defense.
    Everyone thinks Belichick is doing this amazing coaching job he's not. He has a legendary QB and terrific players at the skill positions (Gronk, Welker when he's not dropping balls in the playoffs).

Pats' D is very mediocre right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Tom. Brady.

It begins and ends there. When you win the NFL version of Powerball in drafting a 1st ballot HOF QB in the 6th round, that skews all analyses.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Everyone thinks Belichick is doing this amazing coaching job he's not. He has a legendary QB and terrific players at the skill positions (Gronk, Welker when he's not dropping balls in the playoffs).

Which is light years better than what they were last year.

Did you watch any Jets games from 2009-2011?

They pretty much all went like this:

First Half: RB runs with 3 yard gains. Sanchez stinks place up. Defense keeps us in game.

Second Half: Big offensive adjustments, running game develops, Sanchez gets it together for 1-2 scoring drives in 4th quarter to win game.

Rex has many shortcomings, but his ability to make adjustments at the half is pretty decent--at least compared to Mangini. With Mangini you could tell if we were going to win or lose a game in the first quarter.

I saw the game on Direct Tv. If the Bills had an actual NFL Secondary they would have won that game and the Cheats would be 1-3.
    I thought the bill's secondary played pretty good. But what killed them is that they dared the pats to beat them on the ground and the pats shoved it down their throats.

No you are wrong, he does do a great job. The fact that team wins with the crap they have on defense is a testament to his great coaching. They are getting beat on in the 1st half in buffalo, 2nd half they kick the bills all over the park on offense and defense.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Tom. Brady.

It begins and ends there. When you win the NFL version of Powerball in drafting a 1st ballot HOF QB in the 6th round, that skews all analyses.
    Pretty much. Any coach can look like a genius when his QB plays like an all-pro

i.e. Jim Caldwell going 14-2 and Norv Turner being 13-3 in 2009.

Bellichick for being a defensive genius hasn't even managed to put together an average defense or have a merely mediocre running game from 2009 to 2011.

If he had done either, then the Pats likely would have won multiple Super Bowls.

During the Pats Super Bowl years a great coach made a good QB look better than he was, now the roles have flipped and a great QB makes a good coach look better than he is.

Belichick is a great coach. Name one nfl coach that said he was not. There are 32 nfl coaches, only 5 or 6 are said to be great and he is one of them.

He went 11-5 with a qb that did not play since high school for crying out loud.

Brady is great and wins some games very year on his own. But he is not the only reason the pats have dominated the division. Give BB a middle of the road QB like Schaub/Hasselbeck the pats still would have won the division more than any other team over the last 12 years.

Belicheck I thought was a great coach in the early to mid 2000s when he milked 3 SB titles out of teams with only slightly above average talent and while Brady was still developing as a QB.

Funny, now that Brady is elite, I think Belicheck's game management, operation of the D, and strategic decisions leave a lot to be desired. Overall, he still wins a lot of games, and you can't argue with that.

All Pro

I think its comes down to experience and most of the successful teams have coaches that learned under some good to great football minds. Even though the game changed ,the coaching philosophy hasn't .

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Tom. Brady.

If that's the case, then I guess Brady is the greatest of all time because Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben, etc... have all played in the same league and can't match his sustained success. No one has won more games, been to more Super Bowls, or sustained Brady's success in the same time period.

It's not just the qb. It's the coach and the qb.