Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop overreacting, Monday night is MEANINGLESS

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Stop overreacting, Monday night is MEANINGLESS

Really, it is. When the schedules were released, did you have this penciled in as a win?

Same for the Niners?

You best ground yourselves in reality people.

Week 6 is the swing. Even if they lose 34-0 again this week, it's meaningless.

If they lose to the Colts, then they should start making some big changes. But stop overreacting. This isn't an elite team. You should never have expected them to beat Houston or San Francisco. With that said, they can lose to the Pats twice and possibly Seattle and Arizona and still end up 10-6. Laughable, I know, but nobody else on their schedule is that good either.

Wake up and stop falling victim to the binary bipolar NY Media. If by some miracle they win this week, then that same media will be calling them OMGSUPERBOWLBOUND! OMGREXISCOACHOFYEAR!

Then they could lay a clunker against Indy the following week with Sanchez throwing two picks and OMG3-13!!!!

I mean its laughable. I'm not even an optimist. But falling victim to sensationalism is pathetic.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paulie Marsico coming in with the reality check. Nice to hear some differing opinions round these parts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Really, it is. When the schedules were released, did you have this penciled in as a win?

Same for the Niners?

If they lose to the Colts, then they should start making some big changes. But stop overreacting. This isn't an elite team. You should never have expected them to beat Houston or San Francisco. With that said, they can lose to the Pats twice and possibly Seattle and Arizona and still end up 10-6. Laughable, I know, but nobody else on their schedule is that good either.

Wake up and stop falling victim to the binary bipolar NY Media. If by some miracle they win this week, then that same media will be calling them OMGSUPERBOWLBOUND! OMGREXISCOACHOFYEAR!

Then they could lay a clunker against Indy the following week with Sanchez throwing two picks and OMG3-13!!!!

I mean its laughable. I'm not even an optimist. But falling victim to sensationalism is pathetic.
    While all of that may be beased in reality.... NO ONE anticipated being embarassed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Paulie Marsico coming in with the reality check. Nice to hear some differing opinions round these parts.
    That's my cousin lol.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not only the loss to the 49ers which has given everybody pause. It's how they lost, they looked completely and totally inept. Add to that the poor play vs miami and most of the pitt game, plus getting run all over on D, there is some serious bad MOJO going on.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed.

Everything the Jets do gets twisted and turned by the NY and National Media.

Romo throws 5 picks last night and all I heard this morning was how he has no online help, his receivers are dropping balls, his receivers are not recognizing hot routes etc. etc. etc.

But here...it's supposed to be Tebow time because ESPN has the Monday night game next week and that's exactly what they want to drive up their ratings.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    It's not only the loss to the 49ers which has given everybody pause. It's how they lost, they looked completely and totally inept. Add to that the poor play vs miami and most of the pitt game, plus getting run all over on D, there is some serious bad MOJO going on.
    I agree with all of this. To add to that I think the reason everyone around here has hit the panic button is, with all this going on Rex and the rest of the organization from top to bottom does not seem to have any answers or a way to fix the very wide variety of problems. Lets face it the whole thing is a very big mess. Add to that there is a very limited amount of talent on this roster. Things are not going to change. So yes we are 2-2, that was expected. However I in all honesty can see any way this team can finish North of 500% this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    While all of that may be beased in reality.... NO ONE anticipated being embarassed.
    I guess Sunday Ticket and Redzone spoils some of us.

I watched San Fran this year and last pretty closely because they remind me of the '09 and '10 Jets.

Strong D, good running game, crappy QB whose job is to not lose the game.

As soon as the schedules were released, the thing that stuck out was how crappy the Jets' schedule was. There were literally the two Pats games, the Niners game, and the Texans games that looked like guaranteed L's. That's still a playoff team and playoff games are a complete crap shoot, even blowing two more "should be wins," this is a presumable playoff team.

The reality is this:

1) This team's roster was bad opening night. Offense has basically been ignored which is a reflection of a coach who refuses to learn or institute any sort of authority over it other than blustering that he wants to "Ground and Pound," without any realization or seeming understanding that everybody was just going to blitz the hell out of them and stack 8 to 9 in the box on every single play due to 0 threats downfield and an easily rattled QB.

2) The addition of the Church of Tebow did nothing to bolster the confidence of a shaky and downtrodden QB. If there's one thing you can count on Sanchez being it's tough. He get HAMMERED and he's not a big guy. This undermined that severely.

3) Now the roster is worse.

4) The offensive playcalling has been much worse than expected.

5) The utter lack of faith in Coples. This is disturbing. No playing time for a guy who was largely considered the best DE prospect prior to the combine and going into the draft. 6'4", 285 lbs. and he sits behind DeVito despite horrendous run defense and no real pass rush. If he's that bad, then that's a Gholston-level pick.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Same for the Niners?

I agree with the overall premise, but its not necessarily meaningless. Most people viewed the Miami game as a must win as it was very likely that the Jets would lose the next two. Its not so much that they lost the 9ers game, its how they lost. Its not so much that they lose on Monday night - its how they lose. If the team comes out and shows some spirit, shows some creativity in game planning (or at least a solid plan), I'm fine with them losing. If Sanchez can move the ball against a formidable defense, even in a loss, I still have some hope.

But, its the arm tackling, the laughable overthrows, the turnovers that get everyone in a rage.

So, while the outcome on Monday is not determinative of anything, the Jets performance matters a lot. Either way, I'm giving him through the Colts game to show me something before I give up whatever little hope I have. He deserves at least that much. And, more importantly, we don't have any other options.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    A loss is a loss. This team was not going to win any games prettily, and they actually did in week 1.

Everybody is forgetting that Sparano put on the brakes after the first half because that game was so lopsided. I was at the game. I saw it. The play calling went into a shell.

That game was an absolute domination. But the team let up because the coaches let up and were smiling and **** on the sidelines after the first half. That's a poor job by them. They allowed the run defense to look terrible after that by playing a ton of zone and effectively letting up.

Let me say this straight up:

There are no style points in the NFL. You win or lose. That's it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I agree with the overall premise, but its not necessarily meaningless. Most people viewed the Miami game as a must win as it was very likely that the Jets would lose the next two. Its not so much that they lost the 9ers game, its how they lost. Its not so much that they lose on Monday night - its how they lose. If the team comes out and shows some spirit, shows some creativity in game planning (or at least a solid plan), I'm fine with them losing. If Sanchez can move the ball against a formidable defense, even in a loss, I still have some hope.

But, its the arm tackling, the laughable overthrows, the turnovers that get everyone in a rage.

So, while the outcome on Monday is not determinative of anything, the Jets performance matters a lot. Either way, I'm giving him through the Colts game to show me something before I give up whatever little hope I have. He deserves at least that much. And, more importantly, we don't have any other options.
    +1 - well said.

Monday is meaningless...IF you think the Jets are or will grow into a playoff-caliber team. Nothing we've seen since Week 1 supports that line of thinking.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Same for the Niners?

Well why not? We're 5-0 lifetime against the Texans.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    +1 - well said.

Monday is meaningless...IF you think the Jets are or will grow into a playoff-caliber team. Nothing we've seen since Week 1 supports that line of thinking.
    I've seen exactly what I expected from them. The Niners loss was a bit worse that I thought it would be, more in line with what I thought the Texans would do.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Same for the Niners?

It's not the outcome. It's how the Jets played or should I say didn't play.

They were outplayed, out-executed, weren't as physical as SF, and out-coached.

January 22, 2009
    "We want to be known as the most physical football team in the NFL," Ryan said. "The players will have each other's backs, and if you take a swipe at one of ours, we'll take a swipe at two of yours."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3848743

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    It's not the outcome. It's how the Jets played or should I say didn't play.

They were outplayed, out-executed, weren't as physical as SF, and out-coached.

January 22, 2009
    "We want to be known as the most physical football team in the NFL," Ryan said. "The players will have each other's backs, and if you take a swipe at one of ours, we'll take a swipe at two of yours."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3848743
    DING DING DING

Winner. That is exactly the point.

It is not one game. It is the fact that this team does not have above average talent in any phase of the game. Not one.

/endthread

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    DING DING DING

Winner. That is exactly the point.

It is not one game. It is the fact that this team does not have above average talent in any phase of the game. Not one.

/endthread
    I'm not even talking about talent. I'm mainly talking about the coaching or lack thereof..And the B.S. talk Rex gave at his intro presser...His team isn't anywhere near "the most physical team in the NFL".

His team also doesn't have the attitude of, "The players will have each other's backs, and if you take a swipe at one of ours, we'll take a swipe at two of yours."

Team attitude is set by the HC...Rex's words and his actions aren't in alignment.

And I don't want to hear about "he has no talent"..B.S. a good HC and good coaching staff develop their players...They also put together gameplans based on their teams strengths and attack another teams weaknesses...

Yes, Sanchez F'd up the screen pass...Did they try to call some plays to get Sanchez in a rhythm, some easy passes--WR screens, short passes to a RB...Just get him in a rhythm...

Why? Why can't they run the ball up the middle? Is it Sparanos new blocking scheme? Are their Guards that bad? Does the Jets OL personnel match up to Sparano's criteria? Does Greene's experience not match the new blocking scheme? Iowa runs a zone blocking scheme..The Jets under Callahan mainly ran a zone blocking scheme

Jets looking to return to ground-and-pound roots under Tony Sparano
    Sunday, August 05, 2012

After being a primarily zone-running team with Brian Schottenheimer and Bill Callahan, Sparano is putting a greater emphasis on gap-scheme plays. He wants the Jets to thrive as a power running team, with the offensive linemen knocking defenders off the ball and the running backs plowing straight ahead at a designated gap.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...n_to_grou.html
    Last edited by C Mart; 10-02-2012 at 11:13 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen exactly what I expected from them. The Niners loss was a bit worse that I thought it would be, more in line with what I thought the Texans would do.
    And is "what you expected" good enough to be a playoff team this year? If so, then I'm curious to hear which facet of the game you think the Jets are performing well enough in to be a feared team down the stretch.

If not, what's the point of saying Monday is meaningless? Yeah, many people had the Jets at 2-3 after next week, but that 2-3 projection included convincing wins over the Bills & Dolphins along with an actual appearance in the other three games. So far they're 0-2 on the latter...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beat the Colts? Luck is going to have a field day against us.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    And is "what you expected" good enough to be a playoff team this year? If so, then I'm curious to hear which facet of the game you think the Jets are performing well enough in to be a feared team down the stretch.

If not, what's the point of saying Monday is meaningless? Yeah, many people had the Jets at 2-3 after next week, but that 2-3 projection included convincing wins over the Bills & Dolphins along with an actual appearance in the other three games. So far they're 0-2 on the latter...
    It has nothing to do with being feared or excelling at any particular facet. It has to do with the fact that if you think Jacksonville, Miami, Buffalo, Indy, Seattle, St. Louis, Tennessee, San Diego (Norv Turner), and even Arizona are as good as San Francisco and expect them all to slaughter the Jets then you don't know much about football.

It's that simple. Despite the media hype, every single one of those teams is flawed. You can say their rosters are better or they are less flawed than the Jets, but that doesn't change the fact that they are flawed and can lose to ANYBODY.

It's less about the Jets and more a statement on how the league has parity, but in a bad way, it's not that every team is good, it's that there's very few good teams and a lot of teams that have major flaws that balance out in actual games.

It just so happens that San Francisco and Houston are two of the teams that don't have many flaws at all. You could argue that Houston is the one flawless team in the NFL right now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    Beat the Colts? Luck is going to have a field day against us.
    I'm sure he's has a ton of exposure to the schemes of the Ryans..........