Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tannenbaum's moves have doomed Sanchez

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Tannenbaum's moves have doomed Sanchez

The Jets are a flawed team from top to bottom, but the share of the blame falls solely on the moves of the General Manager. Rex Ryan is a decent head coach and is a good defensive coach. That said, the arrogance of the front office has finally caught up with them.

Mark Sanchez can make throws when given time, but let's take a look at the facts - The offensive line is not as good as originally thought, Shon Green gives you 2 - 3 yards per carry (the stubborness of the coaching staff makes you wonder what game they are watching.) and the receivers cannot get open. Holmes is NOT A #1 RECEIVER IN THIS LEAGUE!!!

(side note - If Joe McKnight is a dangerous kick off returner, which he is, WHY NOT LET HIM and POWELL RUN THE BALL AS YOUR RUNNING BACK??????????) SHON GREEN IS A GOOD CHANGE OF PACE BACK, BUT HE IS NOT A NUMBER ONE BACK!

1. Sanchez, when given the proper goods has proven to be a fairly decent quarterback. Four road playoff victories over two years is nothing to shake a stick at, but that is a long time ago. That said, it appears as if he does not take the field with the desire to be "GREAT" on every play in every series. He's almost gun shy and when he does throw it, it appears as if he is nervous and throws the ball before his receivers are ready for it. Great quarterbacks make their teammates better and there is no inspiration from ANYONE on the offensive side of the ball. The great ones inspire hope that something will get done. Even the less than great (Cutler, Romo, Stafford, Flacco) have that special quality the tells the world that it is THEIR team. Who is the leader of the offense? There is no "it" quality in Sanchez.

2. This Tebow experiment is a COMPLETE FAILURE AND THE FANS ARE OWED AN APOLOGY. We traded away two draft picks for this distraction. Tebow is not a legitimate quarterback (he cannot throw in many of the schemes) and is not an option for Rex. He looks a step slow when he runs (is not making people miss in what is a faster league) and disrupts the flow of the game. It is very difficult to get in a rhythm when you are coming out of the game. Would any of you ask your starting pitcher to sit down for an inning so your closer can get an inning in? It's ridiculous and a JOKE! Here's a typical series:

Bilal powell runs for 4.5 yards on First Down.
    Tebow in - loses a yard.
    OBVIOUS THIRD DOWN PASSING SITUATION WITH RECEIVERS WHO CANNOT GET OPEN DOWN FIELD.

Green runs for 3 yards on First Down.
    Tebow in - no gain.
    OBVIOUS THIRD DOWN PASSING SITUATION WITH RECEIVERS WHO CANNOT GET OPEN DOWN FIELD.

THIS IS A JOKE.

Rex said that McElroy was not an option because he "wasn't dressed". Let's not forget the fact that your "#2 Quarterback" is out there in roles where the probability of injury is increased! What happens if Tebow is hurt in a decoy role?

There's more that could be said but this is really redundant. The issues with this team run deep. From Rex riding with Pouha and Devito too long, to the frequent disapparance of Calvin Pace and the LB's to Wilson getting beat on every pass play, The decisions by Tannenbaum and crew has hurt this team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Sanchez ruined Mark Sanchez

Newsflash: The vast majority of QB's drafted in the 1st round don't pan out. And it appears you can add Sanchez's name to the list that includes Joey Harrington, David Carr, Byron Leftwich, etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uptowngreengang View Post
    The Jets are a flawed team from top to bottom, but the share of the blame falls solely on the moves of the General Manager. Rex Ryan is a decent head coach and is a good defensive coach. That said, the arrogance of the front office has finally caught up with them.

Mark Sanchez can make throws when given time, but let's take a look at the facts - The offensive line is not as good as originally thought, Shon Green gives you 2 - 3 yards per carry (the stubborness of the coaching staff makes you wonder what game they are watching.) and the receivers cannot get open. Holmes is NOT A #1 RECEIVER IN THIS LEAGUE!!!

(side note - If Joe McKnight is a dangerous kick off returner, which he is, WHY NOT LET HIM and POWELL RUN THE BALL AS YOUR RUNNING BACK??????????) SHON GREEN IS A GOOD CHANGE OF PACE BACK, BUT HE IS NOT A NUMBER ONE BACK!

1. Sanchez, when given the proper goods has proven to be a fairly decent quarterback. Four road playoff victories over two years is nothing to shake a stick at, but that is a long time ago. That said, it appears as if he does not take the field with the desire to be "GREAT" on every play in every series. He's almost gun shy and when he does throw it, it appears as if he is nervous and throws the ball before his receivers are ready for it. Great quarterbacks make their teammates better and there is no inspiration from ANYONE on the offensive side of the ball. The great ones inspire hope that something will get done. Even the less than great (Cutler, Romo, Stafford, Flacco) have that special quality the tells the world that it is THEIR team. Who is the leader of the offense? There is no "it" quality in Sanchez.

2. This Tebow experiment is a COMPLETE FAILURE AND THE FANS ARE OWED AN APOLOGY. We traded away two draft picks for this distraction. Tebow is not a legitimate quarterback (he cannot throw in many of the schemes) and is not an option for Rex. He looks a step slow when he runs (is not making people miss in what is a faster league) and disrupts the flow of the game. It is very difficult to get in a rhythm when you are coming out of the game. Would any of you ask your starting pitcher to sit down for an inning so your closer can get an inning in? It's ridiculous and a JOKE! Here's a typical series:

Bilal powell runs for 4.5 yards on First Down.
    Tebow in - loses a yard.

Green runs for 3 yards on First Down.
    Tebow in - no gain.

THIS IS A JOKE.

Rex said that McElroy was not an option because he "wasn't dressed". Let's not forget the fact that your "#2 Quarterback" is out there in roles where the probability of injury is increased! What happens if Tebow is hurt in a decoy role?

There's more that could be said but this is really redundant. The issues with this team run deep. From Rex riding with Pouha and Devito too long, to the frequent disapparance of Calvin Pace and the LB's to Wilson getting beat on every pass play, The decisions by Tannenbaum and crew has hurt this team.
    You obviously missed Sanchez bouncing passes to wide open receivers then.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Newsflash: The vast majority of QB's drafted in the 1st round don't pan out. And it appears you can add Sanchez's name to the list that includes Joey Harrington, David Carr, Byron Leftwich, etc.
    the prevailing sentiment is that very few qbs could be inserted into the jets offense and be even moderately successful. i disagree, i think that if you give a good qb even average or decent targets he'll do fairly well, if not better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez has ruined Sanchez. He does EVERYTHING poorly now. Can't even throw on the move anymore.

Enough with the excuses. Sanchez needs to show he is able to handle the things that ONLY HE is in control of. Like his decisions and protecting the ball. We have been talking for YEARS about how he holds the ball too low and with one hand. THAT has nothing to do with his weapons. His inaccuracy has NOTHING to do with his weapons. His poor decision making has NOTHING to do with his weapons.

Why should the FO invest in what appears to be damaged goods?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not absolving any blame from Sanchez. There is no excuse for bouncing passes, overthrowing targets or fumbling. The main point is that the front office, through poor decision making, has doomed the QB position and the team. How many receivers on this team have run piss poor routes? What about the decision not to put Revis on the IR because you want him back for the Superbowl? a joke. Even Revis called out the front office earlier this year. The front office is getting high on its own supply. the decision making is hurting the team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The VAST majority? Do you have some kind of study you can cite because that makes no sense to me.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez missed his shot by towing the team's "party line" vis-a-vis Tebow's signing. Instead of calmly suckling the collective teats of Tanny/Rex/Woody, Mark should have thrown a s hit fit and refused to play if Tebow was on the team.

Why? It would have painted him a player with fire and balls, not a pantywaist. Shown everyone that he was the starting QB and team leader. Not someone who could accept a slap in face as Tebow's signing displayed. Guess he's either weak or content to just count his money and play out his contract, which was inexplicably extended after last season. (Another astute move, Mike.)

Mark, you choked, muchacho. Now, you must live with your "company man" behavior.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the title but not the thread.

Sanchez was put into a terrible position coming out of starting what, a total of 24 games from high school and college to the NFL?

A veteran, not Kellen Clemens, should have been brought in for the first year to lead the 2009 Jets then Sanchez should have been starting the following year.

Alex Smith sucks and we just saw that Kaepernick looks pretty good, but Harbaugh is grooming Kaepernick. That's how it goes. I think the recipe of a Super Bowl team, as the 2009 Jets thrusting a West Coaster with limited starting experience into the scrutiny of this environment are what have him doubting everything he does on the field.

Teams are onto this and just pack the box and beat him stupid. Even with a good O-line, there's very little that can be done when your QB's confidence is absolutely shot and you lack talent at running back.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! Right on point.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    The VAST majority? Do you have some kind of study you can cite because that makes no sense to me.
    Off the top of my head, just over the past 10 years:

David Carr
    Joey Harrington
    Rex Grossman
    Jamarcus Russell
    Vince Young
    Matt Leinart
    Jason Campbell
    Byron Leftwich
    Kyle Boller
    Brady Quinn
    Mark Sanchez

I'm sure I'm missing some others as well.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    FO definitely flawed, but leaning towrad more blame on Sanchez than the FO. Since the 1st quarter of the Pitt game, Sanchez has been the worst QB in teh league. Against San Fran, then worst performance I have seen from a QB, probably ever.

Time to throw was not near as much of an issue as missed receivers, bad decisions, an unbelievable inability to create time in the pocket by shuffling, complete lack of disregard for care of the football, throwing before receivers make their cut and turn 5 times/game without being under pressure, etc...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    FO definitely flawed, but leaning towrad more blame on Sanchez than the FO. Since the 1st quarter of the Pitt game, Sanchez has been the worst QB in teh league. Against San Fran, then worst performance I have seen from a QB, probably ever.

Time to throw was not near as much of an issue as missed receivers, bad decisions, an unbelievable inability to create time in the pocket by shuffling, complete lack of disregard for care of the football, throwing before receivers make their cut and turn 5 times/game without being under pressure, etc...
    he does virtually nothing well. always looks confused, never exudes confidence. this is year 4.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Off the top of my head, just over the past 10 years:

David Carr
    Joey Harrington
    Rex Grossman
    Jamarcus Russell
    Vince Young
    Matt Leinart
    Jason Campbell
    Byron Leftwich
    Kyle Boller
    Brady Quinn
    Mark Sanchez

I'm sure I'm missing some others as well.
    Better yet, look at USC QB's:

Palmer (one good year, terrible since, Oakland made one of the worst trades ever for him, but Al was senile)
    Leinart
    Cassel
    Sanchez

Go back further:

Marinovich
    Rodney Peete
    Sean Salisbury
    Rob Johnson
    Pat Haden
    Bill Nelsen
    Pete Beathard
    Vince Evans
    Paul MacDonald
    John David Booty

Here's a challenge:

Find another school with so many bad QB's coming out of it.

If you really want some good trivia, the entire Pac 12 has some MAJOR busts. Including Ryan Leaf. Possibly more than any other conference.

Hence if the Jets do bomb out and by some miracle get the first pick, you better pray to God they don't draft Barclay.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    he does virtually nothing well. always looks confused, never exudes confidence. this is year 4.
    Victoria's Secret models?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uptowngreengang View Post

Rex Ryan is a terrible HC.

On what planet would the head coach of any team on any level choose someone like Santonio Holmes to be captain? Never discipline actions that are detrimental to the team progress? Cut or get rid of coach-able players but retain knuckle-heads? Allow teammates that play one position to shoot off their mouths in negative ways about other players, at other positions? Make no in game decisions? Make any progress with players year to year?

I think Tannenbaum is the least of the problems. Our OWNER is first, the HC second, and Tanny a close third
    Last edited by copernicus; 10-02-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been too shocked a nd depressed to chime in until now:

Been a fan for over 40 years and this is bad. No amount of Ray-Ray rah-rah is going to right this ship and here's my reasons why:

-Rex's HUBRIS:

Hubris ( /ˈhjuːbrɪs/), also hybris, from ancient Greek ὕβρις, means extreme pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power.

The adjectival form of hubris is "hubristic".

I like Rex but let's look at how he has steered the team: brought in some of "his" guys and got us close two years running albeit with some serious luck and overachieving.

I think his bombastic style has caused the entire organization-GM, all the position coaches etc etc -to be drinking his kool-aid. Rex says that Wayne Hunter will be great this year then, ok, if Rex says so then it must be.....NOT. Hunter sucked last year. What makes you think he'll be better this year? Karl Dunbar picking up on the hubris and telling a reporter that Hunter will be the starting RT until they cart his dead body out of the complex. Rex blathering on about DeMario Davis being like Ray Lewis....maybe someday but here in week 4 he's had no impact. Von Miller came in as a rookie for the Broncos and made great plays from minute one. Same thing for Coples-little or no impact thus far though I can see how Coples might evolve. Wilkerson..solid st times..little BIG PLAY capability. It goes on and on. Rex telling the media this is "the best team I've coached." I realize he does this to boost heir confidence but go back to the definition of Hubris-"A LOSS OF CONTACT WITH REALITY AND AN OVERESTIMATION OF ONE'S OWN CAPABILITIES (OR YOUR TEAM'S).

Look at the revolving door at WR in the past 3 years? How is your QB supposed to develop any chemistry in a passing league with the cast of also-rans that the Jets trot out? How? Blame Sanchez to a point but look at the absolute garbage in the skill positions...LT on his last legs, Braylon was kind of great (got to get rid of him then...) Derrick Mason??? Plax??? No other viable TE's??? Stone hands Hill??? Locker room douche Holmes???

"WE'RE GOING TO BE GROUND AND POUND."

I swear when I heard this this past Spring I realized Rex had lost touch with reality. His idea is that "while it may be a passing league, I'm going to buck the system-just like my Dad-and we're going back to winning games the old-fashioned way..." Guess what Rex? Not with this personnel you're not. Our O-line is mediocre. Our RB's just flat-out suck. Our D is horrible right now. No real impact play-makers on either side of the ball. None.

How about a receiver in the Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson/ Dez Bryant/ Larry Fitz/Gronkowski mold? Huh? We've got 'tone and Stephen Hill? Oh, Ok then. we're all set.

How about a real RB?

It goes on and on. And in my estimation if I were Woody Johnson, I'd be gearing up for the big change. I'm sorry to say it but it needs to happen. Bring in a serious GM and a tough, no more player's coach, hard-ass in the Parcells mold. Clean house. It's time. We have no playmakers on our roster anywhere.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Better yet, look at USC QB's:

Palmer (one good year, terrible since, Oakland made one of the worst trades ever for him, but Al was senile)
    Leinart
    Cassel
    Sanchez

Go back further:

Marinovich
    Rodney Peete
    Sean Salisbury
    Rob Johnson
    Pat Haden
    Bill Nelsen
    Pete Beathard
    Vince Evans
    Paul MacDonald
    John David Booty

Here's a challenge:

Find another school with so many bad QB's coming out of it.

If you really want some good trivia, the entire Pac 12 has some MAJOR busts. Including Ryan Leaf. Possibly more than any other conference.

Hence if the Jets do bomb out and by some miracle get the first pick, you better pray to God they don't draft Barclay.

I want nothing to do with Barkley.

I'm squarely in the Tyler Wilson/Sean Renfree corner.

This team has to draft a QB early in the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want nothing to do with Barkley.

I'm squarely in the Tyler Wilson/Sean Renfree corner.

This team has to draft a QB early in the draft.
    Throw EJ Manuel in there too.

I want our next QB to be a big QB. 6'4" or 6'5". Someone who can stand tall in the pocket, and exploit the middle of the field but is also athletic enough to slide around and move when he needs to.

No more USC QBs. No more laid back Cali-cool personalities. I want a guy who is a football junkie. Calm with the media but a fierce competitor on the field.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 10-02-2012 at 11:36 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Throw EJ Manuel in there too.

I want our next QB to be a big QB. 6'4" or 6'5". Someone who can stand tall in the pocket, and exploit the middle of the field but is also athletic enough to slide around and move when he needs to.

It may be optimistic to think they would go after QB at all.......They may give Tebow 2 years............if they bench Sanchez at all.

This entire process is effed imo.