Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tannenbaum's moves have doomed Sanchez

All Pro
    Make all the excuses you want but it doesnt matter. Mark Sanchez is a beaten down crappy qb who will never succeed here. Cut your loses after the season and move on.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    It may be optimistic to think they would go after QB at all.......They may give Tebow 2 years............if they bench Sanchez at all.

This entire process is effed imo.
    Completely agree. Which is why even though I like Rex, I would support a regime change b.c it would likely mean a change at QB as well.

Unless I see a major turnaround in the performance of the team then there is no hope for Rex.

But I agree with you and I think Woody is the reason. Woody can hold the franchise hostage by not making a necessary move.

I am hoping things turn around for Rex and Sanchez but if they continue on their current trajectory then I want them out.

To a large degree, Rex is responsible for Sanchez's laclk of improvement. Rex has always pushed to draft defensive player, and practically ignored the offense and building it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Bottom line, Sanchez hasn't shown enough to be given a 5th straight year as the unquestioned starter.

We're stuck with him through next season, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a true competition between Sanchez and whoever we draft. And you can bet your ass we're drafting a QB within the first two rounds next year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Bottom line, Sanchez hasn't shown enough to be given a 5th straight year as the unquestioned starter.

We're stuck with him through next season, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a true competition between Sanchez and whoever we draft. And you can bet your ass we're drafting a QB within the first two rounds next year.
    How did it go so wrong so fast ? Why did nobody see what I saw when i scouted this kid ? This is all so sad. The funny thing i think Sanchez could have been salvaged,but only if he was allowed to fail.

Does anybody think that Mark is throwing way to early is because the pocket is starting to collapse and he just needs to get it out there and have a chance. Sometimes though when there is a clean pocket (rarely compared to Brady's or even Smith's in the last game) there is no trust that it is actually gonna hold and throws it early anyway. I think he is starting to hear footsteps ala David Carr. Shame..

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    How did it go so wrong so fast ? Why did nobody see what I saw when i scouted this kid ? This is all so sad. The funny thing i think Sanchez could have been salvaged,but only if he was allowed to fail.
    it didn't get wrong fast. it's been bad since sanchez started. his best statistical year by far was last year, and that's really b/c he had plax in the red zone. his completion % and turnovers have been among the last in the nfl each year, and his lack of pocket awareness hasn't improved at all.

the difference is that in prior seasons, sanchez had tj, lt, keller, cotch, bray, holmes and plax to help him out. this year he has nobody to help him out and we're seeing what happens when he has to be the playmaker. when you look at it this way, tanny really has brought in enough guys to help out sanchez. the hope we all had, was that sanchez would evolve into a qb who could make players around him better, rather than the other way around. the very good qbs do that. sanchez can't. he's purely a product of the talent around him, and even when he had a great o-line and better wrs/rbs he still wasn't good.

if you put rodgers on the jets they'd score. defenses would play him differently b/c they know he can beat them. no defenders are afraid of sanchez and it affects how they play the wrs. wrs can't get open, in part, b/c sanchez is the qb. watching the saints/gb game they had lots of underneath guys open b/c defenders didn't want to give up the big play.

2 years ago Sanchez had 2 receivers that both almost had 1000 yards and multiple TD's. His talent has shown. With that being said I think he's shot now. Towards the end of the game he was just throwing the ball to get rid of it and didn't care where it ended up. It's not going to get much better this year given Holmes is out and we will never have a running game with the guys we have. He'll be shot and some of it will be his fault, some of it will be Tanny's.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    it didn't get wrong fast. it's been bad since sanchez started. his best statistical year by far was last year, and that's really b/c he had plax in the red zone. his completion % and turnovers have been among the last in the nfl each year, and his lack of pocket awareness hasn't improved at all.

the difference is that in prior seasons, sanchez had tj, lt, keller, cotch, bray, holmes and plax to help him out. this year he has nobody to help him out and we're seeing what happens when he has to be the playmaker. when you look at it this way, tanny really has brought in enough guys to help out sanchez. the hope we all had, was that sanchez would evolve into a qb who could make players around him better, rather than the other way around. the very good qbs do that. sanchez can't. he's purely a product of the talent around him, and even when he had a great o-line and better wrs/rbs he still wasn't good.

if you put rodgers on the jets they'd score. defenses would play him differently b/c they know he can beat them. no defenders are afraid of sanchez and it affects how they play the wrs. wrs can't get open, in part, b/c sanchez is the qb. watching the saints/gb game they had lots of underneath guys open b/c defenders didn't want to give up the big play.
    Ummm Somebody knows football,and understands the subtlties of the game.

Ummm Somebody knows football,and understands the subtlties of the game.
    there's a lot of folks here including myself who complain that the jets wrs can't get open. i watch other games and wonder why so many other guys can get open. the jets have some fast wrs. why can't they get open? part of this is that sanchez is the qb. cbs and safeties adjust their coverage based on who the qb is. the bills were the only team not to play press coverage and make the jets beat them deep. but now every team will do it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    there's a lot of folks here including myself who complain that the jets wrs can't get open. i watch other games and wonder why so many other guys can get open. the jets have some fast wrs. why can't they get open? part of this is that sanchez is the qb. cbs and safeties adjust their coverage based on who the qb is. the bills were the only team not to play press coverage and make the jets beat them deep. but now every team will do it.
    Alot of Fans try to compare Sanchez to Eli. What they fail to realize is that with Eli, he will throw 3ints, but still have the guts to throw a receiver open. It's called anticipation and it's something Sanchez doesn't have. In the NFL,CBs are just as athletic as WR, so u have to pick the single covered guy and throw the ball to him at a spot where he might beat the CB. When u wait until the WR comes open,u get sacked or sometimes they never do.

Alot of Fans try to compare Sanchez to Eli. What they fail to realize is that with Eli, he will throw 3ints, but still have the guts to throw a receiver open. It's called anticipation and it's something Sanchez doesn't have. In the NFL,CBs are just as athletic as WR, so u have to pick the single covered guy and throw the ball to him at a spot where he might beat the CB. When u wait until the WR comes open,u get sacked or sometimes they never do.
    defenses know that eli will keep attacking them and as important, that he can get hot and hit his wrs and score quickly. defenses don't have the same concerns with sanchez so they play everyone tight and dare sanchez to beat them deep, which he doesn't. so then what we see is wrs covered. some of this is his own doing. qbs who prove they can beat you deep open up the underneath stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    The VAST majority? Do you have some kind of study you can cite because that makes no sense to me.
    I was curious about this so I looked at the last 10 years of 1st round QB's. Twenty nine QB were selected from 2002 to 2011. Here they are:

2002 David Carr
    2002 Joey Harrington
    2002 Patrick Ramsey
    2003 Carson Palmer
    2003 Byron Leftwich
    2003 Kyle Boller
    2003 Rex Grossman
    2004 Eli Manning
    2004 Philip Rivers
    2004 Ben Roethlisberger
    2004 J. P. Losman
    2005 Alex Smith
    2005 Aaron Rodgers
    2006 Vince Young
    2006 Matt Leinart
    2006 Jay Cutler
    2007 JaMarcus Russell
    2007 Brady Quinn
    2008 Matt Ryan
    2008 Joe Flacco
    2009 Matthew Stafford
    2009 Mark Sanchez
    2009 Josh Freeman
    2010 Sam Bradford
    2010 Tim Tebow
    2011 Cam Newton
    2011 Jake Locker
    2011 Blaine Gabbert
    2011 Christian Ponder

I divided them into three categories based on what I thought of their talent. Then I looked at their QB ratings and they correlated almost perfectly.

David Carr bad
    Joey Harrington bad
    Patrick Ramsey bad
    Carson Palmer good
    Byron Leftwich OK
    Kyle Boller bad
    Rex Grossman bad
    Eli Manning good
    Philip Rivers good
    Ben Roethlisberger good
    J. P. Losman bad
    Alex Smith OK
    Aaron Rodgers good
    Vince Young bad
    Matt Leinart bad
    Jay Cutler good
    JaMarcus Russell bad
    Brady Quinn bad
    Matt Ryan good
    Joe Flacco good
    Matthew Stafford good
    Mark Sanchez bad
    Josh Freeman OK
    Sam Bradford OK
    Tim Tebow bad
    Cam Newton good
    Jake Locker OK
    Blaine Gabbert bad
    Christian Ponder OK

So here are my results.

good 10

OK 6

bad 11

Your rankings may differ a bit but I doubt I'm way off. Feel free to analyze the data according to your own rankings.

The numbers surprised me in that I tend to remember the recent good QB (Matt Ryan, Stafford) and forget about all the clunkers like JP Losman.

But there were very few QB outside of this list that are still playing. So the bottom line is that if a team wants a franchise QB, they have to draft him in the first round. But that's no guarantee that first rounder will be a good player for you. The hit rate is about a third. Maybe 1/2 if you add the guys who are OK (and several of these players are young QB who will likely get better).
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 10-02-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    2 years ago Sanchez had 2 receivers that both almost had 1000 yards and multiple TD's. His talent has shown. With that being said I think he's shot now. Towards the end of the game he was just throwing the ball to get rid of it and didn't care where it ended up. It's not going to get much better this year given Holmes is out and we will never have a running game with the guys we have. He'll be shot and some of it will be his fault, some of it will be Tanny's.
    Thank you. When he had a couple of DECENT (not great) receivers he did fine.
    Again, I'm not saying that Sanchez is a top 5, but if you gave him the weapons and coaching he needed, he would be as good as Alex Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    So here are my results.

good 10

OK 6

bad 11

Your rankings may differ a bit but I doubt I'm way off. Feel free to analyze the data according to your own rankings.

The numbers surprised me in that I tend to remember the recent good QB (Matt Ryan, Stafford) and forget about all the clunkers like JP Losman.

But there were very few QB outside of this list that are still playing. So the bottom line is that if a team wants a franchise QB, they have to draft him in the first round. But that's no guarantee that first rounder will be a good player for you. The hit rate is about a third. Maybe 1/2 if you add the guys who are OK (and several of these players are young QB who will likely get better).
    Yes--hardly the VAST majority mentioned by the poster.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks for the work, Lag. So it breaks down as

Good -- [10]

Carson Palmer good
    Eli Manning good
    Philip Rivers good
    Ben Roethlisberger good
    Aaron Rodgers good
    Jay Cutler good
    Matt Ryan good
    Joe Flacco good
    Matthew Stafford good
    Cam Newton good

OK -- [6]

Byron Leftwich OK
    Alex Smith OK
    Josh Freeman OK
    Sam Bradford OK
    Jake Locker OK
    Christian Ponder OK

Bad -- [13]

David Carr bad
    Joey Harrington bad
    Patrick Ramsey bad
    Kyle Boller bad
    Rex Grossman bad
    J. P. Losman bad
    Vince Young bad
    Matt Leinart bad
    JaMarcus Russell bad
    Brady Quinn bad
    Mark Sanchez bad
    Tim Tebow bad
    Blaine Gabbert bad

As to the OP, I think Sanchez was a good prospect who if coached better would have been a good QB. Schitty and Cavanaugh can't develop QBs and putting a rookie on a veteran laden team and telling him "Don't screw up" is not a way to develop a QB. He shouldve of sat behind a veteran under this situation.

Also, the plan was for Sanchez to grow into a better QB to make others better, but that was undermined last year by Tannenbaum, Hunter, and Psycho receivers (Holmes & Plax).

Sanchez looks shot, but he's still only 25 (turns 26 next month). He has time to improve, for him under the tutelage of a good QB and real offensive coaches (somewhere like the Packers or Saints as a backup, or even replace Carr with Giants). But with the Jets it won't likely happen because the FO and coaching staff don't know what the hell they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

We have way too many holes on both offense and defense to draft what would essentially be a backup QB in rounds 1 or 2. Sanchez probably played his worst game ever but he played pretty well 2 out of the 3 weeks before that. I want to see what happens after week 7 when our schedule finally calms down and we're not facing top 5 defenses every week.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    As to the OP, I think Sanchez was a good prospect who if coached better would have been a good QB. Schitty and Cavanaugh can't develop QBs and putting a rookie on a veteran laden team and telling him "Don't screw up" is not a way to develop a QB. He shouldve of sat behind a veteran under this situation.

Also, the plan was for Sanchez to grow into a better QB to make others better, but that was undermined last year by Tannenbaum, Hunter, and Psycho receivers (Holmes & Plax).

Sanchez looks shot, but he's still only 25 (turns 26 next month). He has time to improve, for him under the tutelage of a good QB and real offensive coaches (somewhere like the Packers or Saints as a backup, or even replace Carr with Giants). But with the Jets it won't likely happen because the FO and coaching staff don't know what the hell they are doing.
    i think sanchez is shot, mentally. you don't get 10 years to improve.