Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YOU Be the GM: The "Fix the Jets Now, and Going Forward" Thread of Couch GM Funtalk

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

YOU Be the GM: The "Fix the Jets Now, and Going Forward" Thread of Couch GM Funtalk

Hope the title makes the point. Since we're all (generally) in utter disgust over SUnday, and less optimistic about 2012 as a whole, why not have a wee thread of "What would YOU do" to enjoy.

My own (NOW):

1. Demote Greene to #3 RB. Start #1 Powell, #2 McKnight. Greene gets a few carries late.

2. Bench Santonio Holmes for the remainder of the Season. Cut at seasons end.

3. Sign Chad Johnson at WR for Veteran Minimum (or he can sod off) for 1 year (this year). Cut him the first time he talks to the media, or drops a pass.

4. Tebow gets 10-20 plays a game, minimum. 60% run, 40% pass. Chips fall where they may, Sanchez can't cut it. Go "all in" on the Two-QB system, since the one QB system is utterly horribad.

5. Throw out alot of "Mega Bulk" packages. Two->Three TE Sets. TE's at the WR Spots. Lots of short, easily completable routes. QB is told to run instantly (like they mean it, not like a *****) if their first two reads are covered.

6. On D, return to the era of "Every play was a crazy, full out, reckless blitz from every direction". If you're going to suck, and give up 5,000 yards a year, at least do it with some balls and effort.

LONG TERM:

1. Cut ties with Holmes. Cut ties with Revis. Trade if possible (for maximum number of picks). Draft for depth instead of names.

2. If keeping Sanchez, find WR's with the best hands possible, the never-drops-it kinda guys.

3. Fix the O-Line.

4. Pass Rushing Blitzers anyone? Draft 10 of them it thats what it takes to find at least ONE who can do it consistently.

5. Cut Tebow. If you're not going to use him right (or at all), get him out of here. Cut Sanchez next if he finishes 2012 under 58% completion %.

6. 2013, the Year Rex Makes or Breaks. No excuses. Even if 98% of the Roster is killed in a freak silly-putty factory explosion, if Rex fails to win 10, he's gone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can I be the Armchair owner instead so I can fire the GM?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good analysis.

I'll quibble with a few:

Now #2: Holmes is the best we got right now. Play him out the season and then flush him if necessary.

Now #6: Agree 100%. Did you see how the Seattle D went bonkers every play. Played every down like it counted. The Bears D last night played balls on fire hell on wheels D as well. Excellent. Just do it.

Long Term #2: 100% agree. Did you see Brandon Marshall grab everything in sight? Dez Byrant was dropping but Brandon was like glue. We need that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we have to start over and the best way to win in today's NFL is to have a dominant offense. Easier said than done, but that should be the Jets strategy. Build an offense that can put up big points week after week.

The rules favor the offense and will only continue to be adapted for more offense.

Now ....

1) On defense play the young players and see what you have. A lot of Ellis, Coples, Wilk, Davis, Wilson ...anyone under 27 plays - anyone older should be relegated to second string

2) On offense play McKnight - he needs to get more carries, sure he hits the hole slow but he's the only back on the team that has big play capabilities. Let him learn to hit a hole - may take time but we have 12 games for him to learn

Long Term

1) Trade Revis, get the best you can for him
    2) Cut Holmes, Sanchez, Keller Greene, Slauson and Moore
    3) Trade down in the draft - get as many picks as possible and draft offense. Receivers, RB's, O-line etc...I don't care if you don't draft one defensive player next year.
    4) Don't draft a QB this year, but next. You owe Sanchez so much money and can't cut him next year so use next years draft to get yourself a QB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    3. Sign Chad Johnson at WR for Veteran Minimum (or he can sod off) for 1 year (this year).
    I stopped reading here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If i am the GM, we're already in trouble, LOL.

My 1st job is to relieve Rex of his Duties as HC.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Immediate
    1. Powell is the starter at RB Monday night
    2. Sanchez starts Monday night
    3. Coples starts Monday night
    4. Demario Davis plays at minimum 1/3 of the defensive snaps on Monday night
    5. Ricky Sapp is active (if healthy) even if it is over Maybin

Short Term – Remainder of Season
    1. Powell and Coples are starters for the remainder of the season
    2. If Davis holds his own at all, his snaps increase up until the bye when he becomes the starter
    3. Barring a Win vs the Texans, McElroy is the starter for Indy and going forward with Tebow getting 10 -15 snaps a game.
    4. Antonio Allen is activated and receives any snap that Eric Smith would receive

Long Term
    1. If McElroy turns out to be effective enough to be the starter in 2013, then this season is salvaged. If he isn’t, we address the position through the draft.
    2. Revis gets resigned for $13 million per season
    3. Bart, Eric Smith, Pace, BT, Moore, all gone
    4. David Harris traded for a 3rd or 4th round pick, saving an additional $5-8million or so in cap space
    5. After QB, find a guard, OLB, and RB in the draft or FA
    6. Target Larry Grant (SF ILB) as a cheap replacement for harris

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now:

1. Place Holmes on IR. Promote Jordan White from PS
    2. Bench Green and Move Powell to #1 and McKnight #2.
    3. Trade any and all Vets that we can except for Revis and Mangold.- we need to stockpile picks
    4. Bench Bart Scott and Pouha and start Davis and Ellis in their place with Harrison rotating in.
    5. Cut McIntyre (we know what he is) and promote Dowtin so we see what he can do.
    6. Use Tebow strictly as RB/FB.
    7. Start lining up McKnight as a receiver.
    8. Cut Maybin (one trick pony) and promote Sapp. Lets see if he has anything

Long Term:

Fire the entire coaching staff. Look to rebuild with Draft. Stockpile picks and build with depth. Start with the O-Line, Linebackers and skilled offensive players.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Little to no realistic chance of happening, but oh well...

Trade Tebow now for draft pick (dp): Play Sanchez the rest of the season..See if there is any improvement..Per below about Keller and WRs I know it puts more pressure on Mark but oh well...

Trade Slauson for (dp) & Start Ducasse. Slauson is gone via FA. Get something from the Rams or Cowboys..See what Ducasse can do

Trade Keller (when healthy) for (dp): He's a FA and will want too much $$ to resign

Trade (sit) Greene. Maybe package Greene with a player above for a decent pick

Release Cumberland. He's makes way too many mental mistakes

Cut Eric Smith and promote AAllen and see what he can do

Play Maybin more..See it he can be developed as an DE/OLB.

Promote Sapp to 53 man and see what he can do..

Play DDavis more..Live with whatever mistakes he may make..

Cut Bellore or McIntrye and promote Marcus Dowtin to 53 man and see what he can do..He has speed..

Is Jason Smith ready to play RT? Can he be converted to OG?

Is Otah healthy? Find out and take a look.

Coples, Wilk and Ellis all need to play as much as possible..Live with the mistakes...

Dangle Kyle Wilson before the trade deadline...Any takers for worthwhile value back?

WR - (assuming Holmes is out awhile) Schilens, Hill, Kerley and Gates play as much as possible..Let them develop.

RB - Play Powell, McKnight and Grimes and see what they can do

TE - I know its shot now w/Keller and Cumberland gone..Play Reuland and find some TEs on other teams PS.

From now until the Dec 30th Buffalo game Woody talks to all his football insiders (he better have some) and determines just how much of his front office (GM, Personnel Dept, Scouting Dept) and Coaching staff gets shown the door and who replaces them..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Now:

1. Place Holmes on IR. Promote Jordan White from PS
    2. Bench Green and Move Powell to #1 and McKnight #2.
    3. Trade any and all Vets that we can except for Revis and Mangold.- we need to stockpile picks
    4. Bench Bart Scott and Pouha and start Davis and Ellis in their place with Harrison rotating in.
    5. Cut McIntyre (we know what he is) and promote Dowtin so we see what he can do.
    6. Use Tebow strictly as RB/FB.
    7. Start lining up McKnight as a receiver.
    8. Cut Maybin (one trick pony) and promote Sapp. Lets see if he has anything

Long Term:

Fire the entire coaching staff. Look to rebuild with Draft. Stockpile picks and build with depth. Start with the O-Line, Linebackers and skilled offensive players.
    J. White is on the street...He was cut for CB Darrin Walls signed to the PS last week

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    J. White is on the street...He was cut for CB Darrin Walls signed to the PS last week
    Too bad. Sign him anyway. Not like we have anyone better

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) Be honest/realistic about player evaluation. Constantly look for upgrades in every position and make it known that no player is safe.

If you think every move you make is genius and every player is the best, then you're never going to look for upgrades on your team. How many free agents or draft picks has Rex passed by because he felt his guys are all impact players?

Only insecure people need to brag about themselves. Know your limits and be honest about them. It all starts there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Too bad. Sign him anyway. Not like we have anyone better
    understand...just bringing you up to date

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene is Rex's favorite player. He is never, ever getting benched.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes. After evaluating things the past few days and really dwelling about the Jets future, we should just pack our sh!t in this year and next year and build for 2014. We just have too many holes at high needs positions to even be a serious competitor in 2013, and I don't think throwing a boatload of cash into free agency is a wise move...besides, next year's FA crop is pretty weak at the positions we need.

Here is what I would do for the rest of this season:

Put in the young guys and see what we've got

- I don't give a flying you know what about starters we have that will be FAs next year or will be cut.

- Regarding the backfield, Shonn Greene should be seeing no more than 30% of the carries. Make Powell the permanent starter and sprinkle in McKnight every once in a while. Speaking of McKnight, we should use him in the slot or split out wide some. We experimented with it last year and he got open each time. As for Greene, the only time he should get more than 6-8 carries is in the rare chance we are winning in the 4th quarter.

- Once Stephen Hill is healthy, he needs to be seeing the most snaps while Holmes is out. I don't give a crap how "raw" he is now...let him take his warts now and grow from this experience. It will pay dividends in the future. The man has the skills to be a #1 WR in this league. Playing Patrick Turner or Chaz Schilens over him does nothing for this team when our window opens again in two years.

- Permanently replace Matt Slauson with Vlad Ducasse. Slauson is a free agent at the end of the year, so I don't really give a crap about him anymore. We need to see if Ducasse can be a guard in this league. If not, then we cut our losses on both after the season. The offensive line needs a facelift anyway.

- On the defensive line, give more playing time to Coples and Ellis. They might have already begun the process with Coples since he played >50% of the snaps on Sunday. I love Big Bo on the field and in the locker room, but he will not be on this team in 2014 and maybe not even in 2013. Same goes for DeVito. It's time to see if the team really has a solid foundation with Wilkerson/Ellis/Coples.

- We are seriously fudged at linebacker. Demario Davis needs to be in on every subpackage, not Josh Mauga nor Bart Scott. Once the season slips away (likely by Week 8-9), permanently replace Scott with Davis. There really isn't a solution at outside linebacker. I have lost faith in Maybin this year. Maybe we can pull a rabbit out of our ass and try Ricky Sapp if he ever gets healthy. McIntyre doesn't do anything for me since he's already 28.

Trim the fat this offseason and keep only a serious core

- On offense, here are the only guys I would keep going forward: Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Austin Howard (re-sign hopefully as swing tackle), Santonio Holmes (cap wise we are stuck with him for a minimum of one more year and nobody will trade for him), Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, Bilal Powell.

- Either let Dustin Keller walk in free agency or franchise him -- do not sign him long-term. Why? Because who the hell knows what our offensive staff will be beyond 2013. Don't want to be tied down to someone who will be 30 already in 2014.

- We are stuck with Sanchez in 2013, but either draft a QB with our top pick or saddle him with a bridge QB like Jason Campbell/Tarvaris Jackson and have a legitimate open camp competition. If we can't get a top ranked QB in 2013, it must be targeted in 2014.

- Going on previous statement, draft a potential franchise QB if possible; if not, get the top rated pass rusher. After QB, pass rusher is the most glaring need on this team with RB closely behind.

- On defense, these are the only guys I would absolutely keep going forward: Muhammad Wilkerson, Kenrick Ellis, Quinton Coples, Demario Davis, Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Josh Bush. Everyone else should be cut or traded after this season or at the latest after 2013.

- Trade David Harris, even if it the return isn't ideal. With his salary and dwindling speed, his contract will be an albatross by the time we compete again. I'd take a 4th rounder for him after this year.

- Cut Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Eric Smith

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Immediate
    1. Powell is the starter at RB Monday night
    2. Sanchez starts Monday night
    3. Coples starts Monday night
    4. Demario Davis plays at minimum 1/3 of the defensive snaps on Monday night
    5. Ricky Sapp is active (if healthy) even if it is over Maybin

Short Term – Remainder of Season
    1. Powell and Coples are starters for the remainder of the season
    2. If Davis holds his own at all, his snaps increase up until the bye when he becomes the starter
    3. Barring a Win vs the Texans, McElroy is the starter for Indy and going forward with Tebow getting 10 -15 snaps a game.
    4. Antonio Allen is activated and receives any snap that Eric Smith would receive

Long Term
    1. If McElroy turns out to be effective enough to be the starter in 2013, then this season is salvaged. If he isn’t, we address the position through the draft.
    2. Revis gets resigned for $13 million per season
    3. Bart, Eric Smith, Pace, BT, Moore, all gone
    4. David Harris traded for a 3rd or 4th round pick, saving an additional $5-8million or so in cap space
    5. After QB, find a guard, OLB, and RB in the draft or FA
    6. Target Larry Grant (SF ILB) as a cheap replacement for harris
    I like it

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) Unless I get lucky, I think that I am stuck with Sanchez as the “best” option for 2013. If there is a really good QB prospect in the 1st or 2nd round, I would take him. BUT – I would not force the issue and draft someone just to draft someone. If I don’t draft someone early (and thus plan to take someone in 2014 draft), I bring in a veteran to challenge Sanchez for time. Example – Kyle Orton. Replace Teblow with a Drew Stanton type QB.

2) My number one priority is to rebuild the OL: I take 1-2 OL in the first 4 rounds of the draft. In addition, I probably sign a good, veteran guard or tackle to challenge for a starting job. Slauson is gone. Mangold is probably 1-2 years from gone.

3) I draft a running back in the 2 or 3rd round of the draft. If I think Powell is serviceable in a platoon, I favor getting a bruising RB. I probably bring in a guy or 2 off the scrapheap to see if they have anything left.

4) I build my WR corps around Hill and Kerley. Given my draft priorities above, I will need to bring in 1-2 guys to replace Holmes (he is gone) and Turner. I want size and speed.

5) I figure that I will need to sign Keller cheap or another TE to replace him. Long term solution will have to wait for year 2.

6) Draft fast LB’s when I can. Cut the old, slow LB’s and move on.

7) Revis is gone unless I can resign him cheap or am 100% sure his knee is fine. By 2014, I will need to replace Revis, Cro, Wilson and Landry with younger, cheaper guys. #1 pick in 2014 will probably be a CB.

Short Term: Doesn't matter. Other than Hill, Kerley, and maybe Powell and maybe Chaz, I expect all the skill players to be gone by 2014. Most of them will be gone next year.
    Last edited by Digetydog; 10-02-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Digetydog] Unless I get lucky, I think that I am stuck with Sanchez as the “best” option for 2013. If there is a really good QB prospect in the 1st or 2nd round, I would take him. BUT – I would not force the issue and draft someone just to draft someone. If I don’t draft someone early (and thus plan to take someone in 2014 draft), I bring in a veteran to challenge Sanchez for time. Example – Kyle Orton. Replace Teblow with a Drew Stanton type QB.

You do know that Tebow replaced Kyle Orton at Denver because he was ineffective? Don't understand why you'd ever bring him in. So far Kyle has bounced from Denver to KC to Dallas now...
    Last edited by Dreaming Daddy; 10-02-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    how about woody and tanne demand rex puts a better product on the field. rex can play or sit whoever he wants. if rex fails i would fire him immediately and name mike westhoff the head coach for the remainder of the season. i dont expect us to beat teams like the 49ers at least not with the current roster but i do expect them to show up.

we lack decent starters in many positions and lack decent depth in many others. i would also immediately fire the scouts and hire new ones as we have been drafting terrible.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dreaming Daddy;4627251]
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog
    Unless I get lucky, I think that I am stuck with Sanchez as the “best” option for 2013. If there is a really good QB prospect in the 1st or 2nd round, I would take him. BUT – I would not force the issue and draft someone just to draft someone. If I don’t draft someone early (and thus plan to take someone in 2014 draft), I bring in a veteran to challenge Sanchez for time. Example – Kyle Orton. Replace Teblow with a Drew Stanton type QB.

You do know that Tebow replaced Kyle Orton at Denver because he was ineffective? Don't understand why you'd ever bring him in. So far Kyle has bounced from Denver to KC to Dallas now...
    Yes.

First, I was not actually suggesting that Orton was the "guy" that I would sign. After the season, there are always guys "like" Orton, Campbell, etc who had "some" success in the NFL available in the FA market. They aren't great QB's, but they aren't Caleb Hanie.

Since I am not sure who will be available after this season (except Cassell), I just used Orton's name as an example.

Second, Tebow's win streak in Denver was one of the luckiest things that I have ever seen. Even if Tebow could succeed "somewhere," it won't be with the Jets given our RB, OL, and WR situation.

Third, my main point was that the Jets will likely be unable to "solve" their QB situation in the offseason. That means Sanchize will probably be around another season. But, unlike this year, he needs to have someone who could plausibly replace him. Tebow can't pass. McElroy can't throw.

Since I am a UT fan, I expect Colt McCoy would be available in the offseason cheap. Is he a better passer than Tebow? Yes. Does he have a better arm than McElroy? Yes. Is he a long term solution? No.

The long term solution to the Jets QB problem is probably playing in the Big 12 right now.