Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Is Actually Wrong With Our Run D?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

What Is Actually Wrong With Our Run D?

I don't get it. Same players, supposedly healthy. Guys who have made careers to date on stopping the run.

David Harris, Sione Pouha, Mike Devito and now the addition of LaRon Landry.

Rex definitely has his shortcomings, but scheming defensively around the D-line isn't one of them. His comments in the presser after the 49ers loss were unlike any that I've heard before.

Why can't we stop the run? Has anyone read anything insightful about what might be wrong personnel-wise or scheme-wise?

I get a sense that Rex is reluctant to play Coples and Davis until he figures out what's wrong with the base-D. And we haven't yet been able to do that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    it appears to be fundamentals to me, the front isn't shedding blocks, as a result they seem to be just sticking out an arm to stop a back. Bad tackling more often than not the players seem to be in the right place and they just don't seem to stick them and wrap up. I don't know how many times they appeared to have position to make a play at or behind the line of scrimmage and with a small push the running back turns it into 5-7 yards.

I thought a D-line coach that would help but so far not so much.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The complete failure at rushing defense (30th in the NFL) comes as quite a shock. That has traditionally been a strength for the Jets. Pouha and DeVito are well known for their ability to stop the run. Same with Bryan Thomas and David Harris. I just don't get it. I know Pouha came back from injury but to my understanding he's at 100% now.

I also wonder how we got so bad so fast at this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    I don't get it. Same players, supposedly healthy. Guys who have made careers to date on stopping the run.

David Harris, Sione Pouha, Mike Devito and now the addition of LaRon Landry.

Rex definitely has his shortcomings, but scheming defensively around the D-line isn't one of them. His comments in the presser after the 49ers loss were unlike any that I've heard before.

Why can't we stop the run? Has anyone read anything insightful about what might be wrong personnel-wise or scheme-wise?

I get a sense that Rex is reluctant to play Coples and Davis until he figures out what's wrong with the base-D. And we haven't yet been able to do that.
    here's the answer and many won't like it:

the jets have guys on the defense who are overrated - overrated by rex, and by people here in the forum. devito and pouha are not much more than jags. and the lbs are slow. that's most of the reason. they rarely get penetration in the backfield b/c the dline is overrated and the lbs are slow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I can see, poor effort and abysmal tackling are the main problems.

They're also pretty slow in the front 7... but that's always been the case with this group and they didn't have these problems last year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's pretty frightening that everyone in the front 7 seems to have simultaneously regressed (save Wilkerson)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkerson is at best an average DL against the run. He is another product of the Jet hype machine.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post

the jets have guys on the defense who are overrated - overrated by rex, and by people here in the forum. devito and pouha are not much more than jags. and the lbs are slow. that's most of the reason. they rarely get penetration in the backfield b/c the dline is overrated and the lbs are slow.
    So true. People here blow up these guy's skirts like they are perennial Pro Bowlers.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great question I was wondering the same. All I can fathom is that the two anchors are man-children; and Pouha has back issues.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post

That doesn't quite answer the question because they used to be very effective at stopping the run.

From what I see two things have happened...

1) Pouha is getting pushed off the line - he used to be able to take on two blockers and clog the middle.

2) David Harris is a step slower - Last year, he would be able to step into a hole and make a tackle this year he a little later and has to resort to an arm tackle attempt.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    new d-line coach, maybe he's made them worse

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Wilkerson is at best an average DL against the run. He is another product of the Jet hype machine.
    Definitely wrong. I went back and watched the last two games. Wilkerson is the stoutest guy on the line, never really gets pushed back and is one of the few able to get off blocks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slow LBs are the main culprit IMO... and our best LB (Harris) is not having a good year. It's bad enough if you don't have good pass rushers from the OLB spot like the Jets, but it's way worse when they're struggling with their strength which is stopping the run. Thomas and Pace are toast.

Po'uha is also showing signs of decline.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    So true. People here blow up these guy's skirts like they are perennial Pro Bowlers.
    their saving grace was that, for the past few years, they had been very, very good at stopping the run.

but if Pouha and Devito are not stopping the run, then they become quite useless because they don't do anything else well.

it's time for a switch, get Ellis and Coples in there as starters. if the vets are not doing their jobs, might as well go with the youngsters and accelerate their learning curve. if there's gonna be failures in execution, i'd prefer it to be with guys who are young and developing.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Yet you didn't know that DeVito has been charted as one of the best run-stoppers in the NFL, along with Bryan THomas. Pouha is stout as well. Too specialized for ALL PRO, but it's funny to hear the complaints.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    their saving grace was that, for the past few years, they had been very, very good at stopping the run.

but if Pouha and Devito are not stopping the run, then they become quite useless because they don't do anything else well.

it's time for a switch, get Ellis and Coples in there as starters. if the vets are not doing their jobs, might as well go with the youngsters and accelerate their learning curve. if there's gonna be failures in execution, i'd prefer it to be with guys who are young and developing.
    At this point, what do we have to lose? We're friggin' 30th in the NFL with our vets. Rex, shake it up for crissakes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The telling quote from Rex after the game was "how can we keep doing the same thing and expect different results?"

I really hope that means he's going to go with coples, kenrick ellis, demario davis, and aaron berry on defense... with some actual CARRIES for powell (instead of just telegraphing a pass play by having powell in there to block)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    That doesn't quite answer the question because they used to be very effective at stopping the run.

From what I see two things have happened...

1) Pouha is getting pushed off the line - he used to be able to take on two blockers and clog the middle.

2) David Harris is a step slower - Last year, he would be able to step into a hole and make a tackle this year he a little later and has to resort to an arm tackle attempt.
    so you're saying devito isn't that good and the lbs are slow? isn't that exactly what i wrote?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Yet you didn't know that DeVito has been charted as one of the best run-stoppers in the NFL, along with Bryan THomas. Pouha is stout as well. Too specialized for ALL PRO, but it's funny to hear the complaints.
    the only 2 guys who seem stout vs. the run are wilk and ellis. and even when the entire d-line does their jobs the lbs are too slow to make the tackle right away. and they're also getting juked way too often, so that when they do make the tackle, it's from behind after a nice gain. opponents' rbs are faster and more elusive than the jets lbs and that's a key battle the jets d is losing every play. even if the o-lines and d-lines cancel each other out. the lbs can't catch spiller, gore or bush. and that's why they can't cover tes either.

i know i know, rex is a defensive genius and knows more than me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pouha got his payday, what's his motivation now?

Devito should be playing his ass off because he will be replaced by Coples.