Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: What Is Actually Wrong With Our Run D?

  1. #21
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    so you're saying devito isn't that good and the lbs are slow? isn't that exactly what i wrote?
    You're saying they're overrated and I'm saying they're aging.

    I know what you're saying...not much of a difference, but the question was why can't we stop the run ANYMORE...

    they used to be good, so overrated isn't necessarily the answer - they got old fast is more to the point.

  2. #22
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sloooooooooooow A$$ linebackers...

  3. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Apalachin
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Definitely wrong. I went back and watched the last two games. Wilkerson is the stoutest guy on the line, never really gets pushed back and is one of the few able to get off blocks.
    Yeah most people don't understand that a lineman can be good at stopping the run unless they see him make 4 tackles behind the line.

  4. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,291
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Definitely wrong. I went back and watched the last two games. Wilkerson is the stoutest guy on the line, never really gets pushed back and is one of the few able to get off blocks.
    Wilkerson is very strong and talented, but he repetedly chooses the wrong lane or cheats to make the tackle instead of maintaining his gap. Watch the games again on runs towards him, also watch the LB behind him as the play develops. You'll clearly see before the RB chooses the hole that Wilk and the LB (usually Scott) are each in their assigned gaps properly. Let the play run and you'll often see Wilk jump to the gap assigned to the LB trying to get the tackle himself, only to allow his assigned gap open for the RB to get through, and the LB is already committed to his originally assigned gap. Wilk does this often and it's an issue. He can't control himself from wanting to make the tackle himself instead of staying home.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    we lack speed.

  6. #26
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the only 2 guys who seem stout vs. the run are wilk and ellis. and even when the entire d-line does their jobs the lbs are too slow to make the tackle right away. and they're also getting juked way too often, so that when they do make the tackle, it's from behind after a nice gain. opponents' rbs are faster and more elusive than the jets lbs and that's a key battle the jets d is losing every play. even if the o-lines and d-lines cancel each other out. the lbs can't catch spiller, gore or bush. and that's why they can't cover tes either.

    i know i know, rex is a defensive genius and knows more than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Wilkerson is very strong and talented, but he repetedly chooses the wrong lane or cheats to make the tackle instead of maintaining his gap. Watch the games again on runs towards him, also watch the LB behind him as the play develops. You'll clearly see before the RB chooses the hole that Wilk and the LB (usually Scott) are each in their assigned gaps properly. Let the play run and you'll often see Wilk jump to the gap assigned to the LB trying to get the tackle himself, only to allow his assigned gap open for the RB to get through, and the LB is already committed to his originally assigned gap. Wilk does this often and it's an issue. He can't control himself from wanting to make the tackle himself instead of staying home.
    I think the OP made a good thread; this is the conversation I was listening for.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,896
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have the slowest back 7 in the league. You do not need to look any further then that.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Wilkerson is very strong and talented, but he repetedly chooses the wrong lane or cheats to make the tackle instead of maintaining his gap. Watch the games again on runs towards him, also watch the LB behind him as the play develops. You'll clearly see before the RB chooses the hole that Wilk and the LB (usually Scott) are each in their assigned gaps properly. Let the play run and you'll often see Wilk jump to the gap assigned to the LB trying to get the tackle himself, only to allow his assigned gap open for the RB to get through, and the LB is already committed to his originally assigned gap. Wilk does this often and it's an issue. He can't control himself from wanting to make the tackle himself instead of staying home.
    I truly hope this is the case, should we relatively easy to fix.

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I think the OP made a good thread; this is the conversation I was listening for.
    and rex is loyal to his players to a fault and also stubborn to a fault. so he keeps playing thomas, pace, scott, devito and pouha even though they're not getting it done. there's rarely a plan b for rex b/c he's such a cockeyed optimist he thinks his schemes will always work. there's no contingency plan except to try harder. he's been spoiled on the ravens and for a while on the jets to have enough good defensive players that he never had to go to a plan b when his guys simply couldn't get it done.

  10. #30
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hadn't noticed that but it makes sense re: Wilkerson.

    There also seems to be something strangely "wrong" with David Harris this year. He needs to get his head into the game.

    Didn't get a chance to re-watch the 49ers game, but has anyone noticed us keeping safeties back in coverage more often now that Revis is out instead of putting them in the box? Could also hurt.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    I hadn't noticed that but it makes sense re: Wilkerson.

    There also seems to be something strangely "wrong" with David Harris this year. He needs to get his head into the game.

    Didn't get a chance to re-watch the 49ers game, but has anyone noticed us keeping safeties back in coverage more often now that Revis is out instead of putting them in the box? Could also hurt.
    harris looks slow and his instincts look worse. truth all the lbs look the same except for the numbers.

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Linebackers are slow and Pouha is playing like his Mangina days.

  13. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    harris looks slow and his instincts look worse. truth all the lbs look the same except for the numbers.
    Agree, except why? When a player has 5 productive seasons under his belt and then all of a sudden looks lost despite the same surrounding cast something weird is going on.

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Agree, except why? When a player has 5 productive seasons under his belt and then all of a sudden looks lost despite the same surrounding cast something weird is going on.
    my theory is that the cumulative effect of all the hype, media scrunity and controversy has fried too many players on this team. from rex's mouth, to hard knocks, to sanchez, tebow, braylon, holmes, cromartie, etc, i think this 'regime' has run its course. the mentality of this team reminds me of how we felt in college after taking that last final exam. you're fried and you can't think straight.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Agree, except why? When a player has 5 productive seasons under his belt and then all of a sudden looks lost despite the same surrounding cast something weird is going on.
    Harris is probably hurt. Scott, Pace and Thomas are old and slow. it's 2003 all over again when we were stuck watching Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis get toasted all season long.

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Definitely wrong. I went back and watched the last two games. Wilkerson is the stoutest guy on the line, never really gets pushed back and is one of the few able to get off blocks.
    Stoutest guy on the line? Thats not saying much on this line.

  17. #37
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    my theory is that the cumulative effect of all the hype, media scrunity and controversy has fried too many players on this team. from rex's mouth, to hard knocks, to sanchez, tebow, braylon, holmes, cromartie, etc, i think this 'regime' has run its course. the mentality of this team reminds me of how we felt in college after taking that last final exam. you're fried and you can't think straight.
    Another great point---This was a two year deal at best---and it was pretty obvious that a lot of luck was involved.

  18. #38
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Pouha got his payday, what's his motivation now?

    Devito should be playing his ass off because he will be replaced by Coples.
    +$44 million

    That's the combined money in extensions for Harris and Pouha. Both guys have been low-impact players since they got their money.

    David Harris hasn't made an impact play since picking off Brady in the divisional game. He looks like Kyle Clifton out there.

  19. #39
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    +$44 million

    That's the combined money in extensions for Harris and Pouha. Both guys have been low-impact players since they got their money.

    David Harris hasn't made an impact play since picking off Brady in the divisional game. He looks like Kyle Clifton out there.
    Here's to hoping Harris and Pouha are injured.

    I don't see getting paid being a primary reason for both of those guys to stop playing, given that they've been lifelong Jets...but a combination of getting paid, and being completely fed up with the offense and Rex's media circus could potentially be a reason for their crappiness.

    If that's the case, than maybe this really is Rex's last year as an HC.

  20. #40
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    The complete failure at rushing defense (30th in the NFL) comes as quite a shock. That has traditionally been a strength for the Jets. Pouha and DeVito are well known for their ability to stop the run. Same with Bryan Thomas and David Harris. I just don't get it. I know Pouha came back from injury but to my understanding he's at 100% now.

    I also wonder how we got so bad so fast at this.
    How much playing time this off season did they get as a unit?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us