Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Is it time for the Jets to rebuild?

ESPN: Is it time for the Jets to rebuild?

Insider Article

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...k-jets-rebuild

After being shut out 34-0 by the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday, what's left to say about the New York Jets? They are cooked. It was simply a miserable performance, with or without Santonio Holmes' injury. While the Jets are 2-2, they look much more like a mediocre team than one contending for the playoffs. What they need to do the rest of this season is some big-picture thinking and figuring out how to get this team back to being a contender.

That's right: It's time for the Jets to think about rebuilding.

When the Jets were a highly competitive team early in Mark Sanchez's career, they really had everything else besides the difference-making quarterback. Not only has Sanchez possibly regressed, but his supporting cast has gotten worse, as well. The offensive line and running game are the most glaring example.

A power running game and a dynamic, reliable tight end would be great comforts for a struggling quarterback like Sanchez. But Shonn Greene and Dustin Keller haven't helped this offense one bit for differing reasons. In fact, I think Greene is one of the worst starting running backs in the NFL. He has little burst, no home run potential and doesn't make anyone miss or contribute as a receiver. Bilal Powell might not ever be a star, but he has to be the lead back going forward. Because New York has so many pressing needs, running back might have to wait, with Powell being the placeholder for 2013 much like Donald Brown currently is for the Colts. Keller hasn't done enough to warrant a big contract (and has been injured since Week 1), but he is a player the Jets must get a lot of opportunities going forward to see what exactly he is worth. Greene and Keller are both free agents after this season and I wouldn't give either player big money, particularly Greene.

As for the offensive line, the Jets still have three high-end linemen in D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Brandon Moore and Nick Mangold, but they aren't getting any younger. New York is subpar at the other guard spot, weak at right tackle and the line is very short on depth. This is no longer a dominant front five. An upgrade at right tackle is a must, preferably through the draft to infuse youth up front.

Although Holmes, who looked to possibly be seriously injured Sunday, isn't the easiest guy to defend, rarely have I seen an elite wide receiver more frustrated with the guy throwing him the football. Sanchez has left so many plays on the field when targeting Holmes. That has to eventually weigh on Holmes, as he must have no confidence in the ball being where it needs to be. That doesn't excuse Holmes' effort at times, though. Such actions only compound New York's problems and therefore it might be best if the Jets shipped Holmes out of town for draft picks -- even though he is clearly the best receiver on a receiver-starved team. Holmes also makes a lot of money for all the problems he causes. The Jets have to give Stephen Hill a ton of game experience going forward. He is very, very raw, but he is talented. They need to accelerate his development and live with the growing pains. Jeremy Kerley looks like a keeper, but he is a role player and best in the slot.

The Jets' biggest problem, however, lies at quarterback. Sanchez has very average tools, and if you have very average tools, you must excel in all other areas. Sanchez, who hasn't connected on 50 percent of his passes since Week 1, simply doesn't excel in the other areas including decision-making, anticipation, dealing with pass-rush pressure and, of course, accuracy. What has been particularly frustrating about Sanchez this year is that his accuracy in the short zones has been very poor, as it was again on Sunday. The Jets should thoroughly explore trading Sanchez. A change of scenery with lower expectations could help his career, and getting him off the books would be fantastic for the Jets' ability to sign free agents and improve their football team.

The draft is the path I would take to improve the Jets' QB, as rarely do franchise quarterbacks hit the free-agent market. If it takes New York using all of its offseason resources or draft picks (like the Washington Redskins did to get Robert Griffin III) to land a great quarterback prospect, the Jets have to do it. Even if they can't get into the top five of the draft, could you imagine how much better off the Jets would be with a prospect like Christian Ponder or Ryan Tannehill right now? Also adding a placeholder in the Jason Campbell or Shaun Hill mold could make sense with the plan of eventually making the veteran a strong No. 2 and mentor. I feel obligated to mention Tim Tebow, but the reality to me is that he is rather inconsequential in the big picture. He can't throw well enough to succeed as a pure QB in the NFL and I sure wouldn't be the one to spend the multitude of hours and snaps to develop him into even an average passer, if that is even possible. If keeping him around would be a distraction to the new rookie quarterback, the Jets should ship him out even if they get nothing in return.

It's easy to say that the upcoming offseason should be solely dedicated to the offensive side of the ball. And I wouldn't totally argue with it, especially if New York was to draft a quarterback high in the draft, like Indianapolis did this offseason. But the Jets aren't without issues on defense. The biggest problem is that Gang Green lacks a pass-rusher that frightens the opposition. Instead, Rex Ryan has to dial up blitzes to get pressure. That works fine with a stacked group of cover men, but the Jets desperately need a 3-4 outside linebacker who is a consistent double-digit sack guy. It might be wise for New York to field calls for any of its high-priced veteran defensive talent when the trade deadline rolls around. Maybe a contender bites on Antonio Cromartie, Bart Scott or David Harris. Of those three, Cromartie would be one New York should be most reluctant to part with.

The bottom line is that the Jets need a lot of help right now and are far from contending. Compounding matters, they need serious help at positions that are difficult to find or expensive to acquire. Even if done right, this will not happen overnight. But they could be worse off. A decent quarterback would make the lesser problems go away. That must be the Jets' priority and they must find that quarterback at all costs.

Jets Insider VIP
    In before the Kool Aid club tells us that ESPN is a bunch of knuckleheads.

Written by Williamson I assume. He's the only guy that would call Holmes elite.

If Jets can trade Sanchize with his current contract now - a statue of Tanny should build in front of Metlife stadium. Well, forget about it, he is the one who selected him in the first place.

Jets Insider VIP
    If its time to rebuild, it should be done by another GM.

Other than describing Holmes as elite, I think everything else is spot on.

All Pro
    Jets should have been rebuilding the last 2 years, rather than pretending to themselves they were elite despite the lack of passing game, consistent running game, or pass-rush. And now we can't stop the run either. Too many holes, no depth - a real indictment of the FO.

Good article but what about a defense that hasn't had a pass rush in a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Good article but what about a defense that hasn't had a pass rush in a long long time.
    Pretty sure he mentioned the lack of a pass rush.

The biggest problem is that Gang Green lacks a pass-rusher that frightens the opposition. Instead, Rex Ryan has to dial up blitzes to get pressure. That works fine with a stacked group of cover men, but the Jets desperately need a 3-4 outside linebacker who is a consistent double-digit sack guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Good Article and it is the same thing some of us were saying this offseason.

I said Sanchez couldn't succeed with this crew with him around him but I certainly didn't believe that he would perfom this poorly. Sanchez hasn't played well, Period!!! No excuses

But my point as it is in this article is the idea that the Jets FOis clueless. if the Jets wanted a "game manager" then why draft Sanchez? Sanchez was a gunslinger so why change him?

Why move up in the draft to get him? We could have kept our picks and players and gottten Freeman. The FO doesn't get to act like they were forced to get Sanchez and then that they properly developed him by getting him no quality WR to work CONSISTENTLY with over four years!!! Its a joke!!

What is sad when people called the Jets FO out on this and other things we were told that "Tanny gets Paid" to make these decisions and what the heck did we know. Well now we really see is what the heck does the FO know and unfortuanately the joke is now on us!!!

Can't argue with the substance of the article, but the conclusion is a head scratcher.

He lists a half dozen major problems, and then concludes we should trade everything we have for a high pick for a QB. Too many holes to do that, imo.

We need to rebuild OL depth, upgrade RB, and find long-term solutions at OLB and safety, and obviously find at least one more WR.

QB is a need, for sure, but we can't leave all those other holes unchecked to fill it.

Whoever wrote this article isn't that good. They spend the entire article on the offense, not acknowledging that the defense has been just as bad since the end of the 2009 season (and that's with a defensive coach!). It was the defense that collapsed in both AFC Championship games, especially the one in Pittsburgh. The Jets D couldn't even stop Jay Cutler and his lack of WRs in Chicago as the offense was putting up a ton of points against the Chicago D.

Jets Insider VIP
    Nothing will change as long as Woody owns this team. Prepare yourselves - the next 2 decades are going to be a lot like the previous 4.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Whoever wrote this article isn't that good. They spend the entire article on the offense, not acknowledging that the defense has been just as bad since the end of the 2009 season (and that's with a defensive coach!). It was the defense that collapsed in both AFC Championship games, especially the one in Pittsburgh. The Jets D couldn't even stop Jay Cutler and his lack of WRs in Chicago as the offense was putting up a ton of points against the Chicago D.
    See the key was Rex then was able to deflect the blame on the offense in those games and people sort of just agreed with him despite the objective evidence. Now he can't do that because the defense is simply AWFULL and everyone sees it despite the nonsense he is continuing to spout.....

Giving the team two days off after that performance tells you all you need to know about Rex Ryan!!!

Maybe we should bury another ball!!!

Good Grief!!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 10-01-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Nothing will change as long as Woody owns this team. Prepare yourselves - the next 2 decades are going to be a lot like the previous 4.
    I believe Woody will react only when season ticket holders leave.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan789 View Post
    Insider Article

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...k-jets-rebuild

The Jets' biggest problem, however, lies at quarterback. Sanchez has very average tools, and if you have very average tools, you must excel in all other areas. Sanchez, who hasn't connected on 50 percent of his passes since Week 1, simply doesn't excel in the other areas including decision-making, anticipation, dealing with pass-rush pressure and, of course, accuracy. What has been particularly frustrating about Sanchez this year is that his accuracy in the short zones has been very poor, as it was again on Sunday. The Jets should thoroughly explore trading Sanchez. A change of scenery with lower expectations could help his career, and getting him off the books would be fantastic for the Jets' ability to sign free agents and improve their football team.

The draft is the path I would take to improve the Jets' QB, as rarely do franchise quarterbacks hit the free-agent market. If it takes New York using all of its offseason resources or draft picks (like the Washington Redskins did to get Robert Griffin III) to land a great quarterback prospect, the Jets have to do it. Even if they can't get into the top five of the draft, could you imagine how much better off the Jets would be with a prospect like Christian Ponder or Ryan Tannehill right now? Also adding a placeholder in the Jason Campbell or Shaun Hill mold could make sense with the plan of eventually making the veteran a strong No. 2 and mentor. I feel obligated to mention Tim Tebow, but the reality to me is that he is rather inconsequential in the big picture. He can't throw well enough to succeed as a pure QB in the NFL and I sure wouldn't be the one to spend the multitude of hours and snaps to develop him into even an average passer, if that is even possible. If keeping him around would be a distraction to the new rookie quarterback, the Jets should ship him out even if they get nothing in return.

As for QB, let's see what McIlroy has. I think it is way too early to throw int he towel this year and, let's face it, there is not much you can do right now, but Tebow is not an NFL QB so if Sanchez sits it must be McIlroy who gets the opportunity.

People forget that, for the most part, Tebow's success last year was one or 2 drives during the course of a game where he would be able to win a low scoring game. The real success behind Tebow last year was their defense who played out of their minds to keep the games low scoring and also spent alot of time on the field. Do you really think our defense, especially without Revis, can do that? No way. So Tebow should not even be considered the next guy in.

True, McIlroy has only seen action against teams #2 and #3 defenses, but he has been a winner wherever he went and I think has shown the smarts and instincts to be a player. Even what he did in the offseason with the state of the team has shown he isn't afraid to open his mouth. Sanchez is terrible on all of those things.

I think a McIlroy has the potential to come in and give this team a shot in the arm the way Chad Pennington did his first year. Very similar players and if you are like me, I am so tired of the confused and beaten look on Sanchez' face after every series.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    and wasted pick after pick on a pass rush. Tanny and REX are a JOKE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    If its time to rebuild, it should be done by another GM.
    The problem here is the current regime thinks the current player roster is good enough and should constantly be competing for a division title when in fact, it is devoid of talent and is in no way a playoff contending roster, which is why I agree, a new GM needs to be brought in here at the end of the season, if not sooner. Tannenbaum cooked his own goose by not doing anything of consequence allowing this product to hit the field for this season.

This roster is an absolute disgrace considering the amount they charge for the tickets, PSL's, parking etc..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    and wasted pick after pick on a pass rush. Tanny and REX are a JOKE!!!!
    Coples and Wilk aren't pass rushers. They are tweeners. They both need to bulk up and move inside to DT. Neither one of them is quick enough to rush from the outside.