Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Director of Football Operations

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,246
    Post Thanks / Like

    Director of Football Operations

    Looking at the entire organization, there is one thing that is absolutely staggering, and explains why we are currently in the predicament we are in. Who since Bill Parcells in 2000 is in charge of Football Operations?

    After resigning as coach, Parcells stayed on as the Director of Football Operations until he left, and Woody Johnson named Bradway the GM after being VP of Player Personnel with the Chiefs

    Bradway lasts until 2006 when Tannenbaum takes over as GM. Tannenbaum had originally been hired as Director of Player Contract Negotiations and briefly held the title Senior Vice President of Football Operations under Bradway.

    Now the key thing here is that since Parcells left, who has been the voice of reason in between Woody Johnson and whoever is in charge of drafting and FAs?????? The answer is NO ONE.

    Woody is not a football lifer, he did not grow up as an Owner’s son nor did he ever serve in any capacity in football whatsoever. He is also not listed as having ever been in charge of day to day operations of Johnson and Johnson….so where exactly did he learn how to run ANYTHING, let alone a football franchise.

    Tannenbaum never served as a scout or in a player personnel capacity. He ascended to his role by being smart but also because his boss simply doesn’t understand that there HAS to be someone else in organization that actually understands running a football organization.

    Rex Ryan was never a HC nor did he ever have any personnel responsibility in any capacity he ever served in.

    Forget individual draft picks or FA signings, how is it remotely possible that these are the 3 men in charge of guiding an ENTIRE ORGANIZATION, yet none of them has ever done it before? What is the identity of the NY Jets? Who is in charge of shaping that and what is their vision?

    Who can step in and say “whoa hold on Mr. Johnson, I think trading for Tim Tebow could take us in a direction we don’t want to go”.

    Why is it that Mike T, asked Rex if he wanted to acquire Santonio and Rex said “hell yes, that guy killed me once in baltimore”. Who was their sounding board, that said “wait, why is an organization selling Tone for $.40 on the dollar? Is he going to add to what we want to do as an organization?”

    If this above situation doesn’t change, I don’t see how its possible for the team to ever achieve any semblance of long term success, and that is a travesty.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Looking at the entire organization, there is one thing that is absolutely staggering, and explains why we are currently in the predicament we are in. Who since Bill Parcells in 2000 is in charge of Football Operations?

    After resigning as coach, Parcells stayed on as the Director of Football Operations until he left, and Woody Johnson named Bradway the GM after being VP of Player Personnel with the Chiefs

    Bradway lasts until 2006 when Tannenbaum takes over as GM. Tannenbaum had originally been hired as Director of Player Contract Negotiations and briefly held the title Senior Vice President of Football Operations under Bradway.

    Now the key thing here is that since Parcells left, who has been the voice of reason in between Woody Johnson and whoever is in charge of drafting and FAs?????? The answer is NO ONE.

    Woody is not a football lifer, he did not grow up as an Owner’s son nor did he ever serve in any capacity in football whatsoever. He is also not listed as having ever been in charge of day to day operations of Johnson and Johnson….so where exactly did he learn how to run ANYTHING, let alone a football franchise.

    Tannenbaum never served as a scout or in a player personnel capacity. He ascended to his role by being smart but also because his boss simply doesn’t understand that there HAS to be someone else in organization that actually understands running a football organization.

    Rex Ryan was never a HC nor did he ever have any personnel responsibility in any capacity he ever served in.

    Forget individual draft picks or FA signings, how is it remotely possible that these are the 3 men in charge of guiding an ENTIRE ORGANIZATION, yet none of them has ever done it before? What is the identity of the NY Jets? Who is in charge of shaping that and what is their vision?

    Who can step in and say “whoa hold on Mr. Johnson, I think trading for Tim Tebow could take us in a direction we don’t want to go”.

    Why is it that Mike T, asked Rex if he wanted to acquire Santonio and Rex said “hell yes, that guy killed me once in baltimore”. Who was their sounding board, that said “wait, why is an organization selling Tone for $.40 on the dollar? Is he going to add to what we want to do as an organization?”

    If this above situation doesn’t change, I don’t see how its possible for the team to ever achieve any semblance of long term success, and that is a travesty.
    Woody doesnt want a football mind. A REAL football mind wont work for Woody.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Woody doesnt want a football mind. A REAL football mind wont work for Woody.
    I think you are spot on. Who would work for him, unless he absolutely, positively, agreed to have ZERO input?

    I only did minor looking, but do we even know what Woodys role was for J&J? I think its possibly he has literally never done a thing in his life except be born into money.

  4. #4
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Looking at the entire organization, there is one thing that is absolutely staggering, and explains why we are currently in the predicament we are in. Who since Bill Parcells in 2000 is in charge of Football Operations?

    After resigning as coach, Parcells stayed on as the Director of Football Operations until he left, and Woody Johnson named Bradway the GM after being VP of Player Personnel with the Chiefs

    Bradway lasts until 2006 when Tannenbaum takes over as GM. Tannenbaum had originally been hired as Director of Player Contract Negotiations and briefly held the title Senior Vice President of Football Operations under Bradway.

    Now the key thing here is that since Parcells left, who has been the voice of reason in between Woody Johnson and whoever is in charge of drafting and FAs?????? The answer is NO ONE.

    Woody is not a football lifer, he did not grow up as an Owner’s son nor did he ever serve in any capacity in football whatsoever. He is also not listed as having ever been in charge of day to day operations of Johnson and Johnson….so where exactly did he learn how to run ANYTHING, let alone a football franchise.

    Tannenbaum never served as a scout or in a player personnel capacity. He ascended to his role by being smart but also because his boss simply doesn’t understand that there HAS to be someone else in organization that actually understands running a football organization.

    Rex Ryan was never a HC nor did he ever have any personnel responsibility in any capacity he ever served in.

    Forget individual draft picks or FA signings, how is it remotely possible that these are the 3 men in charge of guiding an ENTIRE ORGANIZATION, yet none of them has ever done it before? What is the identity of the NY Jets? Who is in charge of shaping that and what is their vision?

    Who can step in and say “whoa hold on Mr. Johnson, I think trading for Tim Tebow could take us in a direction we don’t want to go”.

    Why is it that Mike T, asked Rex if he wanted to acquire Santonio and Rex said “hell yes, that guy killed me once in baltimore”. Who was their sounding board, that said “wait, why is an organization selling Tone for $.40 on the dollar? Is he going to add to what we want to do as an organization?”

    If this above situation doesn’t change, I don’t see how its possible for the team to ever achieve any semblance of long term success, and that is a travesty.
    You are right on. This is not a real NFL franchise the way it is set up. We have an owner who I hoped would not be a Leon Hess type but he is worse in some areas. He should either sell the team or bring in a partner who really cares about the football operation and will hire the best football man to run it.
    This franchise is a circus from the owner to the product on the field. Send in the clowns.

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    879
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only way this changes is if the jets completely crash and burn and Woody loses season ticket holders revenue.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Woody doesnt want a football mind. A REAL football mind wont work for Woody.
    /Thread

    Parcels was on the NY radio Monday and when Woody name came up regarding Tebow he hinted the same exact thing quoted above.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    The only way this changes is if the jets completely crash and burn and Woody loses season ticket holders revenue.
    Thats exactly it...he really cant lose that much because the PSL owners are tied in to buying. He would have to face big defaults and people walking away before he made a change.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best post I've read in forever. According to woodson's Wikipedia page, after being born into money he started a private investment firm in 1978 but became "involved full time" in charities in the 80s. Awww sweet, a philanthropist at heart?

    Perhaps not quite. He stayed on as chairman in the investment firm, apparently not in any working capacity since recall he became "full time" involved in charities. But still collecting paychecks no doubt. His investment firm meanwhile had to settle with the IRS for tax evasion in ought' 6.

    It's pretty clear someone at his firm realized immediately in the late 70s that he has no acumen whatsoever for running an organization, but he has a lot of liquid capital that could be very useful, and gently nudged him out the door while letting him keep a kushy chairman title.

    If only the Jets would do the same.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Best post I've read in forever. According to woodson's Wikipedia page, after being born into money he started a private investment firm in 1978 but became "involved full time" in charities in the 80s. Awww sweet, a philanthropist at heart?

    Perhaps not quite. He stayed on as chairman in the investment firm, apparently not in any working capacity since recall he became "full time" involved in charities. But still collecting paychecks no doubt. His investment firm meanwhile had to settle with the IRS for tax evasion in ought' 6.

    It's pretty clear someone at his firm realized immediately in the late 70s that he has no acumen whatsoever for running an organization, but he has a lot of liquid capital that could be very useful, and gently nudged him out the door while letting him keep a kushy chairman title.

    If only the Jets would do the same.
    And now we see 2 articles mentioning that Woody will push for the team to play tebow.

    What an absolute disaster of an organization.

    At the end of the day, we are nothing but the knicks....a series of new coaches, new philophies, and stopgap, veteran solutions all designed to sell tickets and never develop a winning culture. All driven by a COMPLETE MORON with no business acumen, who has never accomplished a thing other then being born to a rich family.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us