Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reminds me of the '99 Season

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTjetfan52 View Post
    For those who recall......coming off of the AFCCG in'98 and Vinny T. popped his achilles in week 1 against the Pats and Parcells, who I love, was ill-prepared at back-up QB. Tom Tupa played out the game and then Rick Mirer came on and we were 2-6 and he was terrible. Parcells was roasted in the media for trading away Glen Foley who was a popular Jet. All hope looked lost when Parcells turned to Ray Lucas of Rutgers fame but who had never started a game at QB-he was primarily a ST player. The Jets then won the next two, lost two but beat three playoff teams down the stretch. I recall that while it was a real bummer early in the season, once expectations were adjusted, the games were really exciting to watch.

Adjust your expectations and hopefully we can watch some of the younger guys, the future core of the team, begin to emerge.

Change is a 'comin, boys. Guaranteed. We just aren't going to the tournament this year and if Rex had half a brain he'd get those younger guys ready to play.

Still angry BP called a HB pass by Leon Johnson (?) that got picked in the endzone by Detroit. I believe it ultimately knocked us out of playoff contention.

But no, this team is not like that team. This season reminds me of the Kotite years unfortunately.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rlucas4137 View Post
    Still angry BP called a HB pass by Leon Johnson (?) that got picked in the endzone by Detroit. I believe it ultimately knocked us out of playoff contention.

But no, this team is not like that team. This season reminds me of the Kotite years unfortunately.
    That was 97. He had no faith in Neil ODonnell. Nor should he had.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTjetfan52 View Post
    For those who recall......coming off of the AFCCG in'98 and Vinny T. popped his achilles in week 1 against the Pats and Parcells, who I love, was ill-prepared at back-up QB. Tom Tupa played out the game and then Rick Mirer came on and we were 2-6 and he was terrible. Parcells was roasted in the media for trading away Glen Foley who was a popular Jet. All hope looked lost when Parcells turned to Ray Lucas of Rutgers fame but who had never started a game at QB-he was primarily a ST player. The Jets then won the next two, lost two but beat three playoff teams down the stretch. I recall that while it was a real bummer early in the season, once expectations were adjusted, the games were really exciting to watch.

Adjust your expectations and hopefully we can watch some of the younger guys, the future core of the team, begin to emerge.

Change is a 'comin, boys. Guaranteed. We just aren't going to the tournament this year and if Rex had half a brain he'd get those younger guys ready to play.
    This must be a delusional post. 1998 we were one half away from advancing to the SB and probably winning it all against the Falcons. In 1999 we were stacked from top to bottom and were derailed because of injuries. Many experts predicted we would win it all. This year we are coming off an 8-8 season with an implosion at the end of it and were projected to be a bad team to begin with. The similarities start and end with the injuries, thats it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know adjusting expectations should have been done after last season (this season was already looking worst before we lost our two playmakers on both sides of the ball). My issue is the CS & FO have shown no interest in building the Offense and they all seem clueless as to how to address the issues that we have. We left off last season with a bad RT, no premier RB, and no deep threat to speak of.

So how do we address the problems on the Offense in the offseason??? We come back the next year with the same damn problems! It's hard to have faith in a staff that cannot figure out the weaknesses that everyone else on the globe seem to readily know off the top of their heads.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    This must be a delusional post. 1998 we were one half away from advancing to the SB and probably winning it all against the Falcons. In 1999 we were stacked from top to bottom and were derailed because of injuries. Many experts predicted we would win it all. This year we are coming off an 8-8 season with an implosion at the end of it and were projected to be a bad team to begin with. The similarities start and end with the injuries, thats it.
    That team was not quite as stacked as you seem to recall-hence my comparison. Vinny was 36 and Rick Mirer was the back-up. The D was pretty stacked. My comparison was angled more towards losing a key player (we've lost 2 thus far) and having no, none, zero adequate replacement. Hence signing Aaron Berry and Jason Hill.