Post Thanks / Like
    Thread is full of memes.

Still needs more memes.

The OP is incredible.

Please post theories on 9/11, the moon landing and the JFK assassination

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
    People here were incredulous last night when I suggested that Holmes might yet be faking his injury, and unfortunately I had to go to bed so I couldn't explain, but I wanted to set the record straight. First I should say, I work in the health insurance industry doing fraud investigations. You wouldn't believe some of the things people will do to fake an injury for disability payments, etc. Sometimes doctors are in on it so they can bill for nonexistent procedures, but often they're unaware.

An MRI is a useful diagnostic tool, but it can be fooled in a number of ways.

One, from an imaging point of view. The most common way to do this is to bring a fake limb into the MRI machine with you. For example, as Holmes is climbing in, he might fold his leg underneath him so it's not within the area being imaged. Then, he could place a cadaver leg (you can get these from medical supply companies) that has the desired injury into the MRI's field. Lizfranc injury you want? Lizfranc injury you have.

Two, MRI machines are controlled by computers (amazingly, often running the Windows OS). They are also networked to make sharing of images easier. Hackers can and do remotely break into an MRI machine and replace images with others, showing whatever injury they want. We had one case where a member of a hospital's IT staff was getting kickbacks to let attackers through the firewall, but that's far from the only way in. This guy's weird sense of humor got him caught when he replaced one of the images with a picture of a clown.

Three, an MRI needs to be heavily interpreted sometimes. It's not obvious like an x-ray. A sympathetic doctor could very well misdiagnose a patient while looking at an MRI, especially if the patient is complaining of symptoms consistent with a particular injury.

You really wouldn't believe what lengths people will go through. We had one guy on an AbioCor (a completely implantable artificial heart). Now, you may not be aware, but artificial hearts aren't usually sold to the patient to be implanted, they're leased, and the cost depends on how many beats per minute the patient wants. That way, those with a sedentary lifestyle don't need to spend as much as those who want to be active. Well, this one guy was an electronics wizard, and he was able to reprogram the heart (they can be wirelessly programmed from close range) to give him more beats per minute than he was entitled to. They guy literally could have been doing jumping jacks while only spending enough money to sit on a couch. And, to add insult to injury, it took almost a year to get a court order to get the heart back.

So the moral of the story is that I don't have proof that Tone is faking it, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Anyone else thinking EternalChampion works in the Jets FO or on the CS?
    If the OP is employed by the Jets FO, then the organization has much bigger problems to worry about than what happened on Sunday.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    "um...Acme Supply?"

"Yes, can I help you?"

"um..you got a black leg about 28 years old with a blowed up foot? A dude"

"Please Hold"

"OK"

-
    LMAO

Dude this is serious. can you stop fvcking around with this.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    "um...Acme Supply?"

"Yes, can I help you?"

"um..you got a black leg about 28 years old with a blowed up foot? A dude"

"Please Hold"

"OK"

-
    "Umm, it's me again"

"Yes?"

"On that black leg, the foot has to have a Lisfranc injury. That's what they're saying on JetsInsid-- uh, nevermind that, but has to be a Lisfranc"

"So you want a black leg, and a leg from someone named Liz, and a leg from someone named Frank? 3 legs total? If I can find a black leg from someone named Frank, I can save you some money on shipping."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best thread ever!!!!!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't imagine Al Gore envisioned his invention ever being used to promote this level of asinine stupidity. My computer monitor just grew a unibrow and hunched its shoulders due to the radioactive levels of moronity it's being forced to express here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just released from the Jets, Holmes actual (totally not photoshopped) MRI.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    I can't imagine Al Gore envisioned his invention ever being used to promote this level of asinine stupidity. My computer monitor just grew a unibrow and hunched its shoulders due to the radioactive levels of moronity it's being forced to express here.
    Sounds like your computer got hacked by the same guys who hacked Santonio's MRI machine.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Just released from the Jets, Holmes actual (totally not photoshopped) MRI.

Is that a foot? It looks like Stokes flexing his guns.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You really wouldn't believe what lengths people will go through. We had one guy on an AbioCor (a completely implantable artificial heart). Now, you may not be aware, but artificial hearts aren't usually sold to the patient to be implanted, they're leased, and the cost depends on how many beats per minute the patient wants. That way, those with a sedentary lifestyle don't need to spend as much as those who want to be active. Well, this one guy was an electronics wizard, and he was able to reprogram the heart (they can be wirelessly programmed from close range) to give him more beats per minute than he was entitled to. They guy literally could have been doing jumping jacks while only spending enough money to sit on a couch. And, to add insult to injury, it took almost a year to get a court order to get the heart back.
    WTF, is any of this true? That's some crazy stuff right there. We're not talking about a piece of artwork here.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 10-03-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about the rest of you guys but I am encouraged an interested to learn more about the "Abiocor" as it seems to me that we have a number of players for whom a fully implantable heart might be of great benefit

People here were incredulous last night when I suggested that Holmes might yet be faking his injury, and unfortunately I had to go to bed so I couldn't explain, but I wanted to set the record straight. First I should say, I work in the health insurance industry doing fraud investigations. You wouldn't believe some of the things people will do to fake an injury for disability payments, etc. Sometimes doctors are in on it so they can bill for nonexistent procedures, but often they're unaware.

An MRI is a useful diagnostic tool, but it can be fooled in a number of ways.

One, from an imaging point of view. The most common way to do this is to bring a fake limb into the MRI machine with you. For example, as Holmes is climbing in, he might fold his leg underneath him so it's not within the area being imaged. Then, he could place a cadaver leg (you can get these from medical supply companies) that has the desired injury into the MRI's field. Lizfranc injury you want? Lizfranc injury you have.

Two, MRI machines are controlled by computers (amazingly, often running the Windows OS). They are also networked to make sharing of images easier. Hackers can and do remotely break into an MRI machine and replace images with others, showing whatever injury they want. We had one case where a member of a hospital's IT staff was getting kickbacks to let attackers through the firewall, but that's far from the only way in. This guy's weird sense of humor got him caught when he replaced one of the images with a picture of a clown.

Three, an MRI needs to be heavily interpreted sometimes. It's not obvious like an x-ray. A sympathetic doctor could very well misdiagnose a patient while looking at an MRI, especially if the patient is complaining of symptoms consistent with a particular injury.

So the moral of the story is that I don't have proof that Tone is faking it, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Link? Surely a feat of this magnitude was publicized? I mean, someone had the technical skill to seamlessly replace an image file on a one console, after it was generated but before it was loaded onto the diagnostics console? Or did he just decompile the source code of propriety medical software, and "hack" it? By the way, why did this technical phenom need to work with hospital IT? Surely bypassing the network security would be no problem for this guy.... Or did you just make that up?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Is that a foot? It looks like Stokes flexing his guns.
    Or possibly "someone" after Gata is induced to slap someone as a result of getting that good dick.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Link? Surely a feat of this magnitude was publicized? I mean, someone had the technical skill to seamlessly replace an image file on a one console, after it was generated but before it was loaded onto the diagnostics console? Or did he just decompile the source code of propriety medical software, and "hack" it? By the way, why did this technical phenom need to work with hospital IT? Surely bypassing the network security would be no problem for this guy.... Or did you just make that up?
    This happens more often than you think, I have no idea how the media becomes aware of some stories but not others. You'd have to ask them.

An MRI machine is really two machines in one, the medical section is controlled by firmware. The images are then saved to a separate, attached computer, one that often (but not always) runs Windows. The hacker manipulated the image once it was saved here, I don't know that he would be able to manipulate the actual MRI part of it (I'm not even sure that it's networked in a way that would allow that, but this really isn't the area of my expertise).

As to why he needed an IT person on the inside: social engineering is still the easiest way to break into a system.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    WTF, is any of this true? That's some crazy stuff right there. We're not talking about a piece of artwork here.
    The principles are exactly the same. When you lease something you don't hold a title to it, be it art, a hearing aid, or an artificial heart. If you violate the terms of the lease, the owner may come after their property. Since they can't just repo the heart while the guy's sleeping, they need a court order. For the record, they didn't just let the guy die, he was on a transplant list and they delayed the procedure to remove the artificial heart until one became available. I have no idea what happened to him after that.
    Last edited by EternalChampion; 10-03-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see the MRI Of the OP's brain.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The principles are exactly the same. When you lease something you don't hold a title to it, be it art, a hearing aid, or an artificial heart. If you violate the terms of the lease, the owner may come after their property. Since they can't just repo the heart while the guy's sleeping, they need a court order. For the record, they didn't just let the guy die, he was on a transplant list and they delayed the procedure to remove the artificial heart until one became available. I have no idea what happened to him after that.
    I have heard the same thing said of Beer. You never really buy it, you only rent it

The OP get it

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I get it, it's still crazy and sounds like some serious legal paperwork was involved in that. True story, many years ago when I was in high school, I interned doing random office work for Abiomed when they were developing this artificial heart, so I am very familiar with it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What time is the game on?