Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Report: Jets owner Woody Johnson could 'push' football people to start Tim Tebow

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    It has nothing to do with the QB. I'm sure Rex knows Sanchez sucks. It's about creating an exit strategy from this dead-end job. Especially one that makes him look good - being loyal to his guys and sticking it to management. Joe Sixpack would love that.

If Rex was coaching Peyton Manning, and he was loyal to him, he would come out looking good.

Standing by Mark, just because "he is our starting quarterback", is only going to make him look like a coach who doesn't know how to make changes and adjustments.

And finally, he will have to get hired by other management at some point, so "sticking it to management" isn't the smartest strategy in the book.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW speaking of resumes doesn't McElroy have a pretty good college resume?
    Wasn't he the starter on a national championship Alabama team?

Ok he didn't win the Heisman Trophy but his college career was quite a remarkable one. Do you know who else had a pretty remarkable college career as a qb? Brad Smith. He set rushing and passing records at Missouri.

Brad Smith is a better NFL qb then Tebow and most definitely a better special teams player. I think it is very underestimated how much our team misses him. In running the wildcat you need a qb with speed and quickness to make quick dartlike moves and smart decisions on whether to keep the ball or not.

Tebow has not shown the ability to do that. IMO Kerley would be a better wildcat qb then Tebow. Wasn't our longest pass play last year a pass from Kerley?

Tebow is a gimmick and a publicity stunt. Nothing more if you're talking about playing him at qb.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    If Sanchez embarrasses the Jets on Monday Night Football (in front of the entire country), he'll be benched the following week. Book it.

Rex won't have a choice, it will be a Jerry Jones-esque executive decision.
    Not for nothing but does Sanchez play these game alone? Sanchez has been horrible this season for sure but its not all on him.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    Tebow is garbage.
    No, he's not. He's a remarkable athlete that could probably be a very good FB/HBack/TE/part-time wildcat QB or something some day. But if Sanchez goes to the bench, and Tebow comes in, even if he goes .500 or close to it, it just doesn't help us long term. I'd increase his snaps at wildcat QB, and let McElroy play 'regular' QB until he shows me he can't.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Woody is a buffoon and the organization reflects it.
    A buffoon is 10 steps ahead of the fanbase though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

When you drop that crazy knowledge, you lose us simple minded folk.

Woody GOOD, bad talk about him, BAD?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    And why is that? This is a fanbase that has gone through over 40 years of no championships. 40 years of dashed hopes and dreams. 40 years of never having our own stadium. You name it our fansbase has been through it.

And now because we are angry at our owner because our high hopes have once again been turned into muck we are the bigger buffoons?

You couldn't be more wrong.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    No, he's not. He's a remarkable athlete that could probably be a very good FB/HBack/TE/part-time wildcat QB or something some day. But if Sanchez goes to the bench, and Tebow comes in, even if he goes .500 or close to it, it just doesn't help us long term. I'd increase his snaps at wildcat QB, and let McElroy play 'regular' QB until he shows me he can't.
    Let me rephrase

Tebow is a remarkable athlete. Tebow is a garbage QB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow is useless to this team. He breaks up the momentum of our drives anytime he comes and Sanchez has to go to the sideline and watch or line up at WR. Most of the plays Tebow has been in have been broken running plays that resulted in negative or little yardage.I agree with Boomer that Tebow should have been cut before the season.

What ever happened to just regular running and passing plays and getting talented skill position players who could get open or break a tackle. You know, the boring stuff that teams like the Giants and Patriots do?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    you mean fundamental football?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't realize you were such a Tebow fan.
    I'm not. Can take him or leave him tbqh.

I'm a fan of accountabillity of starters, and benching them when/if they fail consistently.

If Tebow failed, I'd be all in with you on starting McEljag.

I think what is "silly" is thinking Tebow can run a 'traditional' offense - even sillier than someone who dislikes him purely based on his faith.
    Perhaps. But we know, thus far, that Sanchez can't do it.

So unless you want McElBollinger, our options are limited.

I do think Tebow is better, substantially, than McElroy can be.

Maybe Tebow is smarter than Vick, eh? He's more well-spoken, huh?
    He doesn't murder animals in sport, so he's certainly gets a leg up from a pet-lover like me, aye.

I have no doubt that someone, somewhere in time will have a successful offense with one of these guys, but it's going to take an OC and org that's willing to change the way they build/scheme.
    Agreed, and a good argument. But Sparano ran the Wildcat more than most in Miami, with QB's whose talents were not much more (passing) than Tebow.

I guess it comes down to us really disagreeing about Tebow's potential as a QB.
    Perhaps. I think we disagree on who should get "first dibs" on the spot should/when Sanchez is pulled for incompetence.

I mean, if I just walked in and heard you use the phrase "Maybe to a homerfied optimist in a daydream, with frilly pink ponies as his Wideouts, and Rainbow Brite his #1 RB...." I'd be sure you were arguing with someone who wanted to dump Sanchez for Tebow.
    You knopw how much I enjoy a colorful turn of phrase Isi.

It's not so much that I think McElroy is great, I'm still not convinced either of them gives us a better chance of winning than Sanchez, but I would want to know if McElroy is on my roster next year or not.
    I refuse to buy the Foley/Lucas/Bollinger/Ramsey/Clemens/Ratliff thing anymore. And McElroy is more them, than he is an NFL #1.

I'll tell you one more thing - I was much more excited about Tebow's abilities before the season than I am now. He's seemed slow and sluggish thus far, far from the weapon we saw last season. Granted, he's only running options, and starting from a standstill, but he broke some plays on those last year, several per game at times IIRC.
    He seems to have gained weight I hear. But I blame use (Coaches) mor ethan him thus far. He hasn't exactly been used right IMO.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    McElroy probably is a scrub too, but hey at least there is the element of not being 100% positive he's a scrub..

Keep Tebow and his microscopic comp pct, inability to lead offenses to touchdowns, ridiculous throwing motion, lack of football IQ and general lack of productivity as QB. He is what he is. Garbage

But he "just wins" and is a nice guy with intangibles..that's all that matters
    If mcelroy is garbage like you say then it is a direct indictment on the general manager and the scouting department. Tebow is living, breathing, billboard for merch and psl's.
    its a slap in the face to many level minded jet fans.....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neevsmazda07 View Post
    If mcelroy is garbage like you say then it is a direct indictment on the general manager and the scouting department. Tebow is living, breathing, billboard for merch and psl's.
    its a slap in the face to many level minded jet fans.....
    A lot of the so called "level minded jet fans" are nothing more but mini Stephen A Smiths when it comes to Tebow regurgitating the same crap you hear from him.

And if you provide any evidence to the contrary of some of the more idiotic and fluffy statements they make, the only rebuttal is with some sort of cliche, overused and uninspired homosexual, high school level line.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good I am done even pretending to have faith in Sanchez at this point. Tebow may not be very good but he at least has heart. Miles and miles of heart. I'd rather see him fail trying then Sanchez quitting when things get rough.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 10-03-2012 at 10:56 PM.