The mayhem that Aaron Maybin created a year ago has been MIA for a reeling defense searching for answers. A year after the outside linebacker revived his career with a team-high six sacks in 13 games, the former Bills first-round pick has struggled this season.

Maybin has only one quarterback hurry, no sacks and no quarterback hits.

“Truthfully it’s hard for me to (gauge), because of the fact that that’s what my role is here,” Maybin told the Daily News. “If I don’t make any game-changing plays, I don’t feel like I had a good game. So in my mind, I haven’t played a good game yet.”

Maybin summed up his play through the first four games as “average.”

“Which, in my opinion, just isn’t good enough,” he admitted.

Maybin hasn’t had as many opportunities to be the same disruptive force he was a year ago when he had 16 quarterback hurries, two quarterback hits and four forced fumbles.

According to Pro Football Focus, Maybin has played in just 17.5% of the defensive snaps this season, a drop-off from the 30% he played last season.

Maybin was in for a season-low two snaps in the Jets’ 34-0 loss to the run-heavy 49ers last Sunday, but remains optimistic that his snaps will increase.

“I do, but at the same time, I don’t have a crystal ball,” said Maybin, who is in a contract year. “I can’t tell you exactly how many plays it’s going to be this week or that week. It all depends on the game plan. So I guess my head coach would (have) a better gauge on that.”

Only the Raiders and Jaguars have fewer than the Jets’ five sacks through four games. It won’t be any easier for the pass rushers Monday night against the Texans, who have allowed a league-low three sacks.

“There’s a lot of packages that I’m in this year that I wasn’t in last year, but it doesn’t mean that we’re running them,” Maybin said. “I can only do what I can with the opportunities that I got. So, whenever they call my name, I’m ready. And whatever that job is, I’m ready to do.”

Maybin, who shed the bust label after a forgettable start to his career in Buffalo, is hopeful that he’ll get back on track.

“I’ve been through a lot worse,” Maybin said. “All you can do is just keep working.”

LINE DANCE
Tony Sparano doesn’t believe that his rotation at left guard will adversely affect the line’s continuity.

Former second-round pick Vlad Ducasse has gotten more snaps each week. After not getting any snaps in the opener, Ducasse has played in 10, 16 and 20 snaps in the past three games. Starter Matt Slauson played a season-low 64% of the snaps on Sunday.

“When you feel like you have a guy that has the ability that Vlad has - and he’s been with this group (for three years)... it doesn’t disrupt it as bad,” Sparano said. “At the end of this whole thing, you don’t want to (be) looking at a young player in February and not know any more about him than you knew at the start of the season.”

Sparano said the playing-time split isn’t set in stone. Sparano said he has spoken with Slauson, who isn’t thrilled with the reduced reps.

“You don’t expect everybody to be happy with it,” Sparano said. “These guys are all competitive people. They’re also really good pros. At the end of it all, they understand that (it’s about) whatever’s best at this point for the team.”

FULLBACK HILLIARD IN
The Jets signed fullback Lex Hilliard, a good indication that John Conner (hamstring) won’t play against the Texans. WR Patrick Turner was waived.

DB Donnie Fletcher was cut to make room for WR Jordan White on the practice squad.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1173355