Thread: Turn On The Jets: “Offensive” Film Breakdown – Jets vs. 49ers

Turn On The Jets: “Offensive” Film Breakdown – Jets vs. 49ers

The New York Jets didn’t play much, if any at all, NFL offense this past Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers. However, that didn’t stop us from subjecting ourselves to the offensive game film. Make sure to check back later for when Chris Gross breaks down the defensive game film. Also check out our latest deal from Night Out at Tammany Hall Tavern. Make sure to take advantage for when you are watching the games this weekend -

Mark Sanchez - Without question, this was the worst game Mark Sanchez has played this season and maybe in his NFL career and he has had some bad ones. The problems started right on the first drive when the Jets had already passed the 50 by virtue of Jim Harbaugh not challenging a long completion to Chaz Schilens when Sanchez was across the line of scrimmage. Harbaugh probably knew he could afford to give up those yards with the offense he was facing all day. On a 3rd and 2, Tony Sparano makes a terrific play call that gets Santonio Holmes wide open over the middle of the field. Wide open. Open enough that if he catches it, he probably has the Jets down around the 20 yard line because of all the space behind him.

For some reason, Sanchez doesn’t even turn his head to look at Holmes, who is the primary option on the play. He holds the ball excessively long waiting for Jeff Cumberland out to the left to break open and then steps up in the pocket, still has time to get it to an open Holmes and then takes a sack. This play set the tone for the whole day for Sanchez who was skittish and not on the same page with his receivers.
    Later in the half, with the Jets again driving Sanchez faced another third down. This time, the play call and the routes were not great. San Francisco had every Jets every blanketed. Sanchez has enough time to recognize this and either throw the ball away or dive forward for a short gain to set up a field goal.

We all know what happens. He shows no ball security by not tucking it away and is hit from behind for a fumble. This is a rookie level mistake and completely inexcusable. Sanchez came out in the second half and actually made his best throw of the day, a 14 yard deep out route to Chaz Schilens. This was the only time he looked like a NFL quarterback on Sunday, executing a play-action and delivering a perfectly timed bullet to him.

Tony Sparano followed this play up with a well-timed screen pass to Shonn Greene. This play was wide open and set up perfectly. Even the NFL’s slowest back, Greene, could have picked up 20-25 yards here. However, with a pass rusher in his face Mark Sanchez fades away and doesn’t put enough air under the ball. In this situation, he needs to either slide away to get Greene the football or stand tall, take the hit and get more air under it.

Of course we know he didn’t and from this point on, Sanchez was completely checked out of the game. He could not buy a completion and wasn’t even really looking down the field at all.

Receivers - The only positive praise you will see in this article is for Chaz Schilens. I mentioned this last week and it showed again, Schilens runs sharp routes and plays with confidence. He looks like a NFL receiver out there, which is saying something on this Jets offense. He can be a productive number two or number three, although he unfortunately might be stretched too thin with Santonio Holmes now hurt.
    The Jets don’t ask Jeremy Kerley to do enough. He can bring more to the offense than running 4 yard option routes. He needs to be sent down the field more and worked into there Wildcat package as a runner. Patrick Turner, who is now cut, looked how you would expect him to look after not being on the roster the past few weeks.
    The tight end issues remain the same. Jeff Cumberland, to his credit, caught the ball well and broke a few tackles. However, remains utterly incompetent when it comes to blocking. His route running is also inconsistent and frequently throws off the timing and rhythm of the passing game.

Running Back - Different week. Same story. There was less room than ever for the Jets running backs this week but they continued to leave yards on the field. Shonn Greene might need 500 carries this season to crack 1,000 yards. This was a disappointing game for Bilal Powell who left more yards on the field than he has in previous weeks. The Jets have signed Lex Hilliard this week and he should be starting over John Conner by this Monday night.

Offensive Line - This was the poorest effort of the season from this unit. Nick Mangold had maybe his worst game as a pro. He was thrown around the field way more than we’ve ever seen. Matt Slauson and Vlad Ducasse are basically splitting reps at this point but both are way too inconsistent and give up pressure routinely. This was a decent game for both of the Jets tackles, considering the defense they went against, it is hard to get down on Austin Howard.

http://turnonthejets.com/2012/10/tur...jets-vs-49ers/

Veteran
    And this is why McElroy should be playing if Mark can't get himself straight over the next few games. Forget about Greene leaving yards on the field - Sanchez is leaving plays on the field and doing it with alarming frequency. No one can say that McElroy can't make all the throws that were there to be made in the SF game.

Excellent analysis, thank you Cmart great post. Will be interesting to see if coaching staff sees the same thing and how they react.

Thank you C Mart for that excellent analysis and helping me prove my point about Sanchez. While we all know he does not have any weapons to utilize, there is no excuse for a 4th year NFL QB to fumble the ball at the end of a half turning a potential 7-3 deficit into a 10-0 deficit, then, making probably the poorest throw I have ever seen a supposed NFL QB make on the screen pass first posession second half while in SF territory which again, turned a 10-0 deficit into a joke of a game altogether.

Absulotely ridiculous and inexcuseable. Time to draft a new franchise QB.

Just to clarify..Not my analysis..Just posted it. Credit goes to TOTJ

All Pro
    Makes you wonder about the hate Sparano is getting.

I see plays where the WR is wide open and Sanchez over throws him. I see plays where the WR is wide open and Sanchez never looks at him. I see a screen pass set up perfectly, and Sanchez blows it. I see running calls where the RB just leaves yards out there.

Sparano designs the plays. If the guy is open, it is well called and well designed. Sparano can not make the throw.

Thanks for the post.

Again, I agree there isn't a whole lot of explosiveness on this Jets offensive, but the idea that receivers are never open is ridiculous. Receivers are often very open, Sanchez either doesn't see them or hit them accurately.

For a 4th year QB not to scan the field before dumping the ball off is inexcusable.