View Poll Results: Do you still believe Rex Ryan is the right coach for the Jets?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he'll get the team through these difficult times

82 45.30%
  • No, he's lost the team and isn't the right coach anymore

99 54.70%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you still believe in Rex as the right coach for the Jets?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe810 View Post
    YES LETS REPLACE THE WINNIGEST COACH IN TEAM HISTORY WITH A BLOOD LINE TO THE TEAMS EARLY SUPER BOWL How about we have a losing season first then look at options 8 and 8 is not losing 1 and 15 is losing lets remember where we came from and where we are at now with expectations. i expect to make the playoffs this year and wont accept anything less that said fireing the front office every time there is a 7 and 9 season is why we havent won a super bowl in 40 years the team need stability in coaches and front office look to the steelers the eagles the giants as positive examples and look at the cowboys dolphins bills and other of constant turnover. everyone off the ledge put the razor blade down this season could go down the bowl fast but lets not go insane here. Lets go and cheer our team on lets get a home playoff game and win it all and if not have fun and enjoy the game and fresh air thanks
    Drugs are bad.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has to run the organization like a meritocracy.

Rex would be great on Obama's staff

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    So wait a minute....Since 2009 and including this year, Rex is 28-24 and Tom Coughlin is 29 - 23. Those are the facts.

Tom Coughlin also has a Pro Bowl QB to work with!
    Sanchez was HAND PICKED by Rex. Remember..Went to see him work out in Cali and said."This is my guy"..Coughlin has 2 Super Bowl rings..Don't compare..The Jets could easily go 5 and 11 which puts him under .500. Look, this is going the wrong way and the Jets organzation better figure it out fast..But lets wait till after the election..Woody has his priorities.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn212 View Post
    Sanchez was HAND PICKED by Rex. Remember..Went to see him work out in Cali and said."This is my guy"..Coughlin has 2 Super Bowl rings..Don't compare..The Jets could easily go 5 and 11 which puts him under .500. Look, this is going the wrong way and the Jets organzation better figure it out fast..But lets wait till after the election..Woody has his priorities.
    That's right Coughlin is in his 17th year as a HC and Rex his 4th..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    Right now I see the major problem of this team is conditioning! It is obvious too. Revis and Holmes both out with non contact injuries adds to my point. This team would have blown the Buffalo lead if there was another quarter left! They start well as they did in Pittsburgh and they could have been within a few points against the 49ers at the half too. Now Rex says they were tired. NO SH%#!! They are all out of shape period!!! Bad Coaching period!!!!!
    100% agreed...and all of these hamstring and muscle pulls...all these type of injuries come from a lack of conditioning, its on Rex

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn212 View Post
    I absolutely agree that it's going in the wrong direction...and it's not easy losing the best defensive player in the NFL and probably our best weapon on offense. Sure, the Jets could easily go 5-11. But don't tell us not to compare coaches when what you did was....compare! lol

You put some coaches up there and I just wanted to point out that, VERY similar to Rex Ryan, Tom Coughlin has had a slightly better than .500 regular season record and two major championship runs in the playoffs. The Jets took Sanchez at 5 (who knows, if Stafford was there he may have been the pick) and have had to ride that horse. But the Giants clearly have a better QB, as do many of the teams in the NFL who have won Super Bowls lately (Brady, Brees, Rodgers).

The biggest disappointment is that we likely won't get a good assessment of ANYBODY this year with some of these injuries (other than Tannenbaum who has severely mismanaged the roster). If the Jets lose Revis and Holmes and still find a way to go 8-8 that will be akin to what Parcells did in losing Vinny Testaverde in 1999 and having little or no backup plan.

Let's see what Rex can do with substandard personnel.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 10-04-2012 at 12:45 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No he has lost the team.
    I thought he lost them at the end of last season. Now I am certain of it. No doubts. Rex unfortunately must go.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Sorry to say, but no. It's become increasingly obvious that he's not suited to be a head coach.
    The same was said of Belichick after 5 seasons in Cleveland where he had a winning season once.

Not that Rex is the next Belichick or anything.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex still has my (tentative) support. Tannenbaum is the one who needs to go first.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    Rex still has my (tentative) support. Tannenbaum is the one who needs to go first.
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    100% agreed...and all of these hamstring and muscle pulls...all these type of injuries come from a lack of conditioning, its on Rex
    How about the CBA that limits the amount of conditioning the club can do??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I'm on the fence too. I saw so much of what this team needed in a Head Coach during the 2009 and 2010 seasons. Not just because they made it to two AFCCGs but more because we were strong on both sides of the ball, we attacked and we imposed our will on other teams. The Jets were PROACTIVE on offense (run it against opponents when they knew we were going to run it) and dictated things on defense (blitzing, attacking). Rex's teams were better at the end of the season than at the beginning. The win in New England was probably the 3rd best victory in the history of the Jets franchise. Rex outcoached Belichick and dismantled and befuddled Tom Brady that day.

So what happened? Well, we clearly don't have the bullets in the gun (personnel) at two key places - offensive skill positions.....(goodbye Thomas Jones, goodbye LT, goodbye Braylon, no Cotchery, no Keller so far this season, etc.) and linebackers (they were old and slow LAST YEAR. They are back again this year).

I'm not sure whether to blame Rex or not. He's clearly not doing a very good job but I can't imagine a guy falls off a cliff like that.

Question - If we didn't have the Wayne Hunter problem and the downgrade at WR to Plaxico, would the Jets have been a 10 win team instead of an 8 win team last year?

Would Rex be 3 for 3 as a HC going to the playoffs? I'm not sure but I think it's possible.

The Jets were looking GREAT up until about halftime in Week 2 this year. The Jets had totally dominated Buffalo and then were winning in Pitt until Sanchez got hit in the head. The Jets have been trying to tread water ever since. Take Revis and Holmes away and I'm not sure that anyone will be able to be fairly assessed except for Tannenbaum's mismanagement.

I'm not off the Rex bandwagon yet....athough I'm surrounded by a lot of empty seats. I reluctantly voted yes.
    +1

Tony Pauline in the draft forum was mentioning that Rex needs to make tweaks to his HC style, but that the Jets would be making a mistake to give up on him. Apparently in league circles Tanny is viewed as the dunce and the big issue that is seen with Rex is that he is too buddy buddy with his players. To be frank I think Rex needs some guidance and structure, neither of which the Jets had upon his arrival. The FO structure here is not conducive to the growth of a rookie HC or QB. Clear out Tanny and get Polian in to mentor Rex. That would be my plan, and if Rex issues continue into the next year can him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as conditioning and our decline, Jason astutely pointed out nyjetscap.com that it might have something to do with the inability to have padded practices. Now obviously Rex needs to adapt to the new rules, but he asserted that in the past Rex could hold some hard practices to improve tackling and the run game. With the new rules he can't coach up the D in this way and makes game reps all the more important. Future drafts might benefit from players who already have the fundamentals completely down, b/c development has been hurt by the new CBA.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    As far as conditioning and our decline, Jason astutely pointed out nyjetscap.com that it might have something to do with the inability to have padded practices. Now obviously Rex needs to adapt to the new rules, but he asserted that in the past Rex could hold some hard practices to improve tackling and the run game. With the new rules he can't coach up the D in this way and makes game reps all the more important. Future drafts might benefit from players who already have the fundamentals completely down, b/c development has been hurt by the new CBA.
    So how the hell are the other teams getting in good shape and playing aggressive football for 60 minutes not 20-30 like the jets?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    So how the hell are the other teams getting in good shape and playing aggressive football for 60 minutes not 20-30 like the jets?
    I meant more on the missed tackles, but I think differences in talent level are more apparent now. In past years maybe Rex can coax pretty good play out of some scrubs. I think the players with talent on our team have been playing well on D. The young DL has been playing well sans the hiccup v. 49ers but that's what you get with younger players. Also it might mean giving more reps to the starters during practices in the preseason etc. because there is no time allotted for that during the season. That lack of talent falls squarely on Tanny who has mismanaged this roster completely.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    Which possible GM replacement is going to want to work with Rex?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't take long for fans to turn on the HC.

The same posters that call for Cowher are the same fans who would have called for his head in Pittsburgh before he had a chance to win the Super Bowl.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    It doesn't take long for fans to turn on the HC.

The same posters that call for Cowher are the same fans who would have called for his head in Pittsburgh before he had a chance to win the Super Bowl.
    Jet fans are truly the worst

The guy comes in here with no HC experience and immediately takes us a good half from the SB...2 years in a row, last season we were on the same path and had a terrible end to the reg season and miss the playoffs by a game or 2.

Move ahead to this offseason, instead of retooling with stars as in years past we sit back and do nothing. A few injuries and even at 2-2 we are considerred by TFAGs (typical football analyst guy for people who didnt listen to Max Kellerman) and bandwagon fans the worst team in the league.

FIRE HIM!

My problem with Rex is that he doesn't seem to be that good at evaluating collegiate talent. Tannenbaum seems to be asleep at the wheel though. The problem seems to be more of a personnel issue than schematics.

Also I think we win Monday!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street Superstar View Post
    Jet fans are truly the worst

The guy comes in here with no HC experience and immediately takes us a good half from the SB...2 years in a row, last season we were on the same path and had a terrible end to the reg season and miss the playoffs by a game or 2.

Move ahead to this offseason, instead of retooling with stars as in years past we sit back and do nothing. A few injuries and even at 2-2 we are considerred by TFAGs (typical football analyst guy for people who didnt listen to Max Kellerman) and bandwagon fans the worst team in the league.

FIRE HIM!

My problem with Rex is that he doesn't seem to be that good at evaluating collegiate talent. Tannenbaum seems to be asleep at the wheel though. The problem seems to be more of a personnel issue than schematics.

Also I think we win Monday!
    Excellent Post

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    10 years ago I think Rex would have been a great coach. One of the best. The problem is the game has passed his philosophy by. Defense does not win championships anymore. You need offense. A damn good offense. You need to be able to score 30 points on a regular basis and have a decent, not great defense. The money and draft need to be focused more on the offense and especially the QB. Look at San Fran, outstanding defense. Ridiculously good defense. But they are always going to be hamstrung by Alex Smith. Come playoff time the defense will need to be stellar enough to shut down the elite QB's to win games 23-17, 20-10, scores like that. We had to face Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger all in a row and we damn near did it, but the team wore down finally.

When you look at Bill Belicheck today you realize how he morphed himself to fit the game. Remember he was the defensive genius in the league. Now he's much more offense oriented and the Pats are constantly trying to improve their offense first. It just is what it is, offense wins these days.