Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That's why good coaches don't want to coach in NY

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why good coaches don't want to coach in NY

No more than 4 years ago Rex was the toast of NY. 2 AFCCG's, 1 mediocre season and 1 bad season due to the team decimated by injuries and the vultures swoop down to destroy him. Suddenly he is the worst coach to ever manage a team, I mean Kotite and Coslet bad. Unfortunately for him, it's over and he'll never get a chance to fix what's wrong. With the way the media and fans are, you really think Cowher, Gruden etc would want to coach the Jets? No way...good luck Rex, you were my favorite Jets coach in 28 years, you gave the team swagger and attitude and I will always be grateful for the 2 AFCCG'S.

~Ace~

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got a name to drop? What coaches are you referring to?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blaming the media is lame. If Rex goes 4-12 or 3-13, he and Tanny should be fired.

Unfortunately, our owner(s) tend to be clueless rich guys like Woody and Leon Hess who don't need their teams to make money because they made their fortunes elsewhere and no nothing about football.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is a bit of his own worst enemy the way he built up expectations.

I would not fire him at all, no way but next year would be a pivotal year. Rex's problems are not as much from the coaching side but from him getting too involved in player acquisition. There are VERY few coaches that should be afforded the ability to 'buy their own groceries'. Especially a guy like Rex who is loyal to certain types of players.

What this team needs the most is an experienced hard ass GM, at arms length from the coach that will build the team. Toss players who are not doing it, even if it is the coaches boys.

The Gm should work with the coach to see what type of team he has in mind but after that the GM and scouts should be deciding who the players are going to be.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by regen View Post
    Blaming the media is lame. If Rex goes 4-12 or 3-13, he and Tanny should be fired.

Unfortunately, our owner(s) tend to be clueless rich guys like Woody and Leon Hess who don't need their teams to make money because they made their fortunes elsewhere and no nothing about football.

When you lose your best player on offense, and the best defensive player in the league on defense, what would you expect the record to be?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AceBoy View Post
    No more than 4 years ago Rex was the toast of NY. 2 AFCCG's, 1 mediocre season and 1 bad season due to the team decimated by injuries and the vultures swoop down to destroy him. Suddenly he is the worst coach to ever manage a team, I mean Kotite and Coslet bad. Unfortunately for him, it's over and he'll never get a chance to fix what's wrong. With the way the media and fans are, you really think Cowher, Gruden etc would want to coach the Jets? No way...good luck Rex, you were my favorite Jets coach in 28 years, you gave the team swagger and attitude and I will always be grateful for the 2 AFCCG'S.

~Ace~
    That is a blatant misstatement/misconception.

He and Tanny made this team. They made their beds. And now they have to sleep in them. They finally realized the beds suck which is why they brought in sleep consultants.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Rex is a bit of his own worst enemy the way he built up expectations.

I would not fire him at all, no way but next year would be a pivotal year. Rex's problems are not as much from the coaching side but from him getting too involved in player acquisition. There are VERY few coaches that should be afforded the ability to 'buy their own groceries'. Especially a guy like Rex who is loyal to certain types of players.

What this team needs the most is an experienced hard ass GM, at arms length from the coach that will build the team. Toss players who are not doing it, even if it is the coaches boys.

The Gm should work with the coach to see what type of team he has in mind but after that the GM and scouts should be deciding who the players are going to be.
    And I agree with you. Rex is a very good coach (people seem to forget that). Surround him with smart, tough people and a GM who knows the game and can make solid 'football' decisions. Rex would've excelled in Baltimore had he got that job a few years ago.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I agree with you. Rex is a very good coach (people seem to forget that). Surround him with smart, tough people and a GM who knows the game and can make solid 'football' decisions. Rex would've excelled in Baltimore had he got that job a few years ago.
    You can't say. He could of ruined Flacco's development

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Rex is the Mark Sanchez of Head Coaches???

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

~Ace~
    You are delusional. Last season and this season aren't about injuries, they are about horrible draft choices, bad player evaluation, and a coach who lost control of his own team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    You are delusional. Last season and this season aren't about injuries, they are about horrible draft choices, bad player evaluation, and a coach who lost control of his own team.
    How could you argue this season is not about injuries? C'mon man...your best player is done for the year, your best WR is done for the year, TE, misses games, another starting WR misses games etc. at some point it will affect the team as a whole.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The team has gotten steadily worse, not better. The first wins were with players Rex inherited. The more the team became his, the worse it performed on the field.

That's why a guy gets fired.

And I would like to see Rex come back next year. But the guy has to start learning from his mistakes or he'll never become a good HC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    You can't say. He could of ruined Flacco's development
    Key is differnce is Ravens have an excellent GM!!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

~Ace~
    Unfortunately, Rex has himself to thank for all the negative press. He's racked up a pretty good track record of saying moronic things at inappropriate times, like all the time. He talks too much and says too little. Not only has he proven to be a very ineffective head coach, now he sucks at DC. Remember, this is the guy who called 'the timeout' for the Ravens, giving those cheat ass clown Patriots an undefeated regular season.

I hoped we weren't getting 'that' guy.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

REX'S TEAM NOT AS GOOD AS A FEW YEARS AGO

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    The team has gotten steadily worse, not better. The first wins were with players Rex inherited. The more the team became his, the worse it performed on the field.

That's why a guy gets fired.

And I would like to see Rex come back next year. But the guy has to start learning from his mistakes or he'll never become a good HC.
    ...Wow. I posted nearly the same sentiments a week ago. Great minds think alike. If ya think about it... our dominating days were with Kris Jenkins, Sean Ellis, Jonathan Vilma, Kerry Rhodes and others....... for whatever reason, they are all gone and the new guys just don't play as well , or mesh together well.
    It points to the coaching staff. " Losing the locker room", is no way to build any team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

~Ace~
    rex...you won by mortgaging our future. Your regular season record was barely 500 . You won with Mangini players and haven't drafted ONE, not ONE impact player in your stay here. Since mid 2011, the JETS have sucked under your regime and we see no reason for it to change.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

~Ace~
    He LOST two AFC Championship Games.

A better HC would have won at least one. His best team was in 2009, the one he didn't build. The rest have slid downhill.

He's lost the team. They don't respond to him. He's already gone.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

He's lost the team. They don't respond to him. He's already gone.

I'm curious how the team will play on Monday night. Let's revisit this on Tuesday. If they get their asses handed to them again and give up in the second half, then you may be right.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I'm curious how the team will play on Monday night. Let's revisit this on Tuesday. If they get their asses handed to them again and give up in the second half, then you may be right.
    This team has played 1/2 a good game since November of last year.

They don't "respond". They just no-show.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What u don't seem to realize is that the Rex that was introduced to NY Jet fans and the Rex u see at the podium are 2 different people. He allowed outside forces to dictate his behavior and mannerisms, making him look like a 2 faced baffoon.

When u believe something strong enough, nobody should be able to change your mind. The fans and the Media have change this HC mind.