Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Reminds me of the '99 Season

  1. #1

    Reminds me of the '99 Season

    For those who recall......coming off of the AFCCG in'98 and Vinny T. popped his achilles in week 1 against the Pats and Parcells, who I love, was ill-prepared at back-up QB. Tom Tupa played out the game and then Rick Mirer came on and we were 2-6 and he was terrible. Parcells was roasted in the media for trading away Glen Foley who was a popular Jet. All hope looked lost when Parcells turned to Ray Lucas of Rutgers fame but who had never started a game at QB-he was primarily a ST player. The Jets then won the next two, lost two but beat three playoff teams down the stretch. I recall that while it was a real bummer early in the season, once expectations were adjusted, the games were really exciting to watch.

    Adjust your expectations and hopefully we can watch some of the younger guys, the future core of the team, begin to emerge.

    Change is a 'comin, boys. Guaranteed. We just aren't going to the tournament this year and if Rex had half a brain he'd get those younger guys ready to play.

  2. #2
    Others have said this. I could not disagree more. nThe 98 team was coming off a 12-4 season in which Vinny was 12-1. Had they started with Vinny they might have won a few more. Homefield would have been at least possible. That team had more talent BY FAR. Twice as much Heart. And had a CS of Parcells, Belicheat Wiess, Romeo, ETC. This team is not suited to hold the jocks of the 99 team. Not even close. I never thought this team had a chance. In 99 I thought it was our turn. It was not to be.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by CTjetfan52 View Post
    For those who recall......coming off of the AFCCG in'98 and Vinny T. popped his achilles in week 1 against the Pats and Parcells, who I love, was ill-prepared at back-up QB. Tom Tupa played out the game and then Rick Mirer came on and we were 2-6 and he was terrible. Parcells was roasted in the media for trading away Glen Foley who was a popular Jet. All hope looked lost when Parcells turned to Ray Lucas of Rutgers fame but who had never started a game at QB-he was primarily a ST player. The Jets then won the next two, lost two but beat three playoff teams down the stretch. I recall that while it was a real bummer early in the season, once expectations were adjusted, the games were really exciting to watch.

    Adjust your expectations and hopefully we can watch some of the younger guys, the future core of the team, begin to emerge.

    Change is a 'comin, boys. Guaranteed. We just aren't going to the tournament this year and if Rex had half a brain he'd get those younger guys ready to play.
    I agree but Rex is going to try and protect his job not play guys for the future.

    I'm all for dumping Rex, let Westoff be the HC for rest of the year.

    You know he won't take Sh-- from anyone.

  4. #4
    this reminds me of the kotite years. the wheels are about to fall off the bus and the team is lacking talent.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,289
    If this happened in 2010 then it would remind me of 1999.

    In 1999 we got blindsided and it was bad luck.

    This year, we (fans) saw this coming. The FO and HC made their own luck this year by putting together a garbage offense and overrated defense.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Forked River, NJ
    Posts
    4,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Others have said this. I could not disagree more. nThe 98 team was coming off a 12-4 season in which Vinny was 12-1. Had they started with Vinny they might have won a few more. Homefield would have been at least possible. That team had more talent BY FAR. Twice as much Heart. And had a CS of Parcells, Belicheat Wiess, Romeo, ETC. This team is not suited to hold the jocks of the 99 team. Not even close. I never thought this team had a chance. In 99 I thought it was our turn. It was not to be.
    I agree. This is NOTHING like that season.

    In the 99 season a scrappy Jets team went 8-8 with Ray Lucus as the QB. No one expected anything but a losing season, yet the team surpassed all expectations. That season was argueably the best coaching job ever by Bill Parcells.

    I just don't see that as even a remote possibilty this time.

  7. #7
    so far this season is getting off to a better start than last season. 2-2 this year and 2-0 in AFC East games and have lost to 2 teams they were supposed to lose to. Last season, Jets were also 2-2 after 4 games, but lost to the Ravens (supposed to) and the Raiders (not supposed to). the ship is not sunk yet folks. let em get a few more games played

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Others have said this. I could not disagree more. nThe 98 team was coming off a 12-4 season in which Vinny was 12-1. Had they started with Vinny they might have won a few more. Homefield would have been at least possible. That team had more talent BY FAR. Twice as much Heart. And had a CS of Parcells, Belicheat Wiess, Romeo, ETC. This team is not suited to hold the jocks of the 99 team. Not even close. I never thought this team had a chance. In 99 I thought it was our turn. It was not to be.

    Thank you. Not even close to a comparable situation.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,664
    Quote Originally Posted by CTjetfan52 View Post
    For those who recall......coming off of the AFCCG in'98 and Vinny T. popped his achilles in week 1 against the Pats and Parcells, who I love, was ill-prepared at back-up QB. Tom Tupa played out the game and then Rick Mirer came on and we were 2-6 and he was terrible. Parcells was roasted in the media for trading away Glen Foley who was a popular Jet. All hope looked lost when Parcells turned to Ray Lucas of Rutgers fame but who had never started a game at QB-he was primarily a ST player. The Jets then won the next two, lost two but beat three playoff teams down the stretch. I recall that while it was a real bummer early in the season, once expectations were adjusted, the games were really exciting to watch.

    Adjust your expectations and hopefully we can watch some of the younger guys, the future core of the team, begin to emerge.

    Change is a 'comin, boys. Guaranteed. We just aren't going to the tournament this year and if Rex had half a brain he'd get those younger guys ready to play.


    NOTHING LIKE IT.

    Expectations were NOT HIGH this year, we were always looking at a 7-9 or 8-8 season, now we are looking at 5 or 6 wins.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Others have said this. I could not disagree more. nThe 98 team was coming off a 12-4 season in which Vinny was 12-1. Had they started with Vinny they might have won a few more. Homefield would have been at least possible. That team had more talent BY FAR. Twice as much Heart. And had a CS of Parcells, Belicheat Wiess, Romeo, ETC. This team is not suited to hold the jocks of the 99 team. Not even close. I never thought this team had a chance. In 99 I thought it was our turn. It was not to be.
    dead on. This team is crap compared to the 99 team.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Minkaveli View Post
    dead on. This team is crap compared to the 99 team.
    Right. To take it a step further. That team had leaders like. Kevin Mawae, Keith Byers, Brian Cox. Where are the leaders with this current band of idiots??? That team also had depth/ role players like Ray Mikins, Chad Cascadden, Dave Megget.

    The last sad but true fact is it also represented the only brief period in time in which we were better than the pats in the post Kotite era.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,608
    Quote Originally Posted by CTjetfan52 View Post
    For those who recall......coming off of the AFCCG in'98 and Vinny T. popped his achilles in week 1 against the Pats and Parcells, who I love, was ill-prepared at back-up QB. Tom Tupa played out the game and then Rick Mirer came on and we were 2-6 and he was terrible. Parcells was roasted in the media for trading away Glen Foley who was a popular Jet. All hope looked lost when Parcells turned to Ray Lucas of Rutgers fame but who had never started a game at QB-he was primarily a ST player. The Jets then won the next two, lost two but beat three playoff teams down the stretch. I recall that while it was a real bummer early in the season, once expectations were adjusted, the games were really exciting to watch.

    Adjust your expectations and hopefully we can watch some of the younger guys, the future core of the team, begin to emerge.

    Change is a 'comin, boys. Guaranteed. We just aren't going to the tournament this year and if Rex had half a brain he'd get those younger guys ready to play.
    Disagree..this is more like the late 80's. In 99, we had a BIG draft in front of us, talent on the team etc.

    We are a shell of the 99 team in terms of talent. This looks more like the 91 JETS.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Disagree..this is more like the late 80's. In 99, we had a BIG draft in front of us, talent on the team etc.

    We are a shell of the 99 team in terms of talent. This looks more like the 91 JETS.
    I don't even think they are as good as the 91 Jets. That defense pitched three shutouts that year. They also at least had Rob moore and Terrance Mathis to throw the ball to.

  14. #14
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,478
    This is nothing like the 1999 NY Jets season. Nothing.

    I expected 5-11 with a healthy Revis.

  15. #15
    I wasn't really thinking about all the nuances of the difference between '98 and 2011 but I felt we could have been a 9 or 10 win team. I was really just refering to losing a star player and having to seriously regroup and actually watching the team respond and win some games. Certainly losing Jenkins and Leon was a tough blow but never felt they were of the Revis/Holmes level of skill and importance to the team...

  16. #16
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,857
    I was thinking Aaron Beasley and your 2003 NYJ.

  17. #17
    Or the Pennington broken-wrist in pre-season or Pennington torn shoulder or...the list goes on and on

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,584
    I'm all for starting some of the younger guys or expanding their roles. Get them in there! Develop them during a season which we all know isn't going to end in a playoff berth. We need to know who we have on the roster that can truly contribute.

    For younger guys there will never be a better opportunity than the one they're about to get. Low expectations, injured starters, etc. Step up! Carpe Diem!

    With that said, we all knew the Jets were a borderline playoff team coming into the season. Even before the loss of Revis and Holmes the Jets were looking like an 8 or 9 win team tops. This isn't as heartbreaking as the '99 loss of Testaverde to me. The Jets came out of the gates hot against the Patriots in Week 1, I believe they scored a TD early, stopped the Pats and then were driving again about to go up 14-0 when VT got hurt. That season the Jets were clearly positioned to be one of the Top 2 or 3 teams in the NFL. Very different story this year.

  19. #19
    Big difference: Parcells is a HC...Rex Ryan isn't

  20. #20
    Nothing like 1999.
    This team is bad, i mean real bad. I just looked at the roster from 1996 (Kotite's last year when he went 1-15) and that team had a hell of alot more talent than this one.

    In 96 we had, Adrian Murrell coming off of a 1250 yd season, Wayne Chrebet, Keyshawn Johnson, Victor Green, Marvin Jones, Mo Lewis, Hugh Douglas, Aaron Glenn, Ray Mickens, Marcus Coleman, Bobby Hamilton, Chad Cascadden, Kyle Brady, Jumbo Elliot... who do we have now that compares?

    Revis, Mangold, and Wilkerson.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us