Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: How Bad have Tannenbaum's Drafts Been?

  1. #1

    How Bad have Tannenbaum's Drafts Been?

    Good article about how bad Mr. T's drafts have been. 09 and 10 were pointless drafts.

    http://www.nyjetsdraft.com/2012/10/n...s-doomed-jets/

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjallday View Post
    Good article about how bad Mr. T's drafts have been. 09 and 10 were pointless drafts.

    http://www.nyjetsdraft.com/2012/10/n...s-doomed-jets/
    does anyone know where to find the stats on [first round pick] v [starting roster] ratio?

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Tannenbaum has not done an adequate job building a good team.

    He seemed to be banking on Sanchez becoming an elite QB by year 3 to mask all the poor personnel decisions, but did a bad job managing Sanchez' development in the process.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjallday View Post
    Good article about how bad Mr. T's drafts have been. 09 and 10 were pointless drafts.

    http://www.nyjetsdraft.com/2012/10/n...s-doomed-jets/
    09 was Sanchez, Greene and Slauson. OK draft. B


    2010, 2011, 2012 were complete misses until one of these guys becomes a real player.

    Our front office is AWFUL including Rex.

  5. #5
    Tally up all the draft picks Tannenbaum has traded away over the last six years and you'll have your answer as to why the Jets have no depth.

  6. #6
    kyle wilson is not a starter bc of revis.

    wilson was drafted to the starting NB. which he is...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Tannenbaum has not done an adequate job building a good team.

    He seemed to be banking on Sanchez becoming an elite QB by year 3 to mask all the poor personnel decisions, but did a bad job managing Sanchez' development in the process.
    i think tanny's fatal flaw was that he relied too much on imput from the coaches, mangini and rex, rather than take bap based on the scouts. that's what happens when you put a non-football guy in charge, he is prone to trust people other than the scouts in making choices. specifically since rex came i think it all went downhill. they were basically seduced by sanchez's low key cali personality and ignored that he had all of 1 year of college experience. i'm sure the wilson pick was rex's. ducasse seems to be a sentimental blunder by tanny. it's like fantasy football here where you have a partner or two and decide on the fly what you're doing. every year the philosophy changes and it's not clear why.

    also, they've spent so much time and money chasing names, particularly on offense, from farve to holmes, edwards to TJ, i'm sure there's more. the annoying thing is that they definitely seem dedicated to building the defense organically, for the most part, but would rather bring in troubled talent on the offense. again i think this is rex's influence to an extent, that's how he would do it if he were the gm. he'd draft wilk, wilson and coples, demario davis and a few safeties, draft a raw tall wr and draft big slow rbs like greene, connor and gannaway to ground and pound. the past few drafts really seem like rex's imprint, sadly, the mark of a defensive-minded coach who neither understands the intricacies of offense nor appreciates the fact that while he spends so much time scheming for all these elaborate offenses around the nfl, opposing defensive coordinators don't have nearly the task with his own offense b/c he's in the gm's ear telling him 'defense, defense, defense'.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,286
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    09 was Sanchez, Greene and Slauson. OK draft. B


    2010, 2011, 2012 were complete misses until one of these guys becomes a real player.

    Our front office is AWFUL including Rex.
    How did you get a B draft grade out of Slauson, Greene, and Sanchez....?


    Three draft picks...

    a bust QB with a 49% completion percentage in his fourth season (54.8% career), 72.9 QB rating for his career (69.6 in his 4th year), and a career 60/55 TD INT ratio....

    A RB with 9 fumbles in 3 1/4 years, only one year of which he started and is averaged 2.8 yards per carry in his 4th year...

    and an average at best guard who is only starting because he has Vlad as his backup....

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    kyle wilson is not a starter bc of revis.

    wilson was drafted to the starting NB. which he is...
    Wilson isnt a starter because he cant locate the ball in the air... the guy still has the same problem he had in his rookie year: he doesnt turn his head.

    He was drafted to be a #2 CB, which rex said last week... He hasnt started because he is no good, which is why we had to sign cro to that contract.

    3 weeks tops until berry overtakes the starting CB position.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ListerFiend View Post
    How did you get a B draft grade out of Slauson, Greene, and Sanchez....?


    Three draft picks...

    a bust QB with a 49% completion percentage in his fourth season (54.8% career), 72.9 QB rating for his career (69.6 in his 4th year), and a career 60/55 TD INT ratio....

    A RB with 9 fumbles in 3 1/4 years, only one year of which he started and is averaged 2.8 yards per carry in his 4th year...

    and an average at best guard who is only starting because he has Vlad as his backup....
    2009 draft grade = D

    Slauson as a late round pick who became a JAG keeps it from being an F

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ListerFiend View Post
    How did you get a B draft grade out of Slauson, Greene, and Sanchez....?


    Three draft picks...

    a bust QB with a 49% completion percentage in his fourth season (54.8% career), 72.9 QB rating for his career (69.6 in his 4th year), and a career 60/55 TD INT ratio....

    A RB with 9 fumbles in 3 1/4 years, only one year of which he started and is averaged 2.8 yards per carry in his 4th year...

    and an average at best guard who is only starting because he has Vlad as his backup....
    Sanchez and Greene was pretty solid in 2009 and 2010.

    2 years out of 2 players...meh, BUT I see your point, I was being kind.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ListerFiend View Post
    Wilson isnt a starter because he cant locate the ball in the air... the guy still has the same problem he had in his rookie year: he doesnt turn his head.

    He was drafted to be a #2 CB, which rex said last week... He hasnt started because he is no good, which is why we had to sign cro to that contract.

    3 weeks tops until berry overtakes the starting CB position.
    I had hopes for Wilson that he could become an effective starter in the league. He had an apprenticeship with Revis - who better could a young CB learn from ? Yet he hasn't really developed at all since his rookie year. He's still making the same mistakes.

    I just don't have a lot of confidence in him right now. In the last game Wilson easily could have been burned for 3 TD if the opposing QB had been on target. I think Wilson's limit seems to be as a nickle CB, which is pretty poor for a 1st rounder.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,680
    HORRIBLE

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Sanchez and Greene was pretty solid in 2009 and 2010.

    2 years out of 2 players...meh, BUT I see your point, I was being kind.
    In 2009 the draft might have graded out as a B. But Sanchez and Greene look horrible today.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,302
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    09 was Sanchez, Greene and Slauson. OK draft. B


    2010, 2011, 2012 were complete misses until one of these guys becomes a real player.

    Our front office is AWFUL including Rex.
    06 and 07 he has 2 possible HOF players in Mangold and Revis..

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    06 and 07 he has 2 possible HOF players in Mangold and Revis..
    Well..I was in fact responding to the OP. He said drafts from 2009 forward sucked. I agree, but 2009 was NO WHERE as bad as 2010 to 2012.

    In fact , 2007 was an OK draft all in all. I have to assume Mangini was involved?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    09 was Sanchez, Greene and Slauson. OK draft. B


    2010, 2011, 2012 were complete misses until one of these guys becomes a real player.

    Our front office is AWFUL including Rex.
    2010 I can see, but 2011? Wilkerson, Ellis, Kerley, Powell isnt bad.

    2012, they didnt have many picks make the roster. Thats not good. But Coples and Hill should be big time players soon.

    Trading away picks has reduced the margin of error the past few years.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    2010 I can see, but 2011? Wilkerson, Ellis, Kerley, Powell isnt bad.

    2012, they didnt have many picks make the roster. Thats not good. But Coples and Hill should be big time players soon.

    Trading away picks has reduced the margin of error the past few years.
    Our 2011 draft has NO impact players. Our D Line looks old and slow.

    Kerley and Powell...we'll see.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think tanny's fatal flaw was that he relied too much on imput from the coaches, mangini and rex, rather than take bap based on the scouts. that's what happens when you put a non-football guy in charge, he is prone to trust people other than the scouts in making choices. specifically since rex came i think it all went downhill. they were basically seduced by sanchez's low key cali personality and ignored that he had all of 1 year of college experience. i'm sure the wilson pick was rex's. ducasse seems to be a sentimental blunder by tanny. it's like fantasy football here where you have a partner or two and decide on the fly what you're doing. every year the philosophy changes and it's not clear why.

    also, they've spent so much time and money chasing names, particularly on offense, from farve to holmes, edwards to TJ, i'm sure there's more. the annoying thing is that they definitely seem dedicated to building the defense organically, for the most part, but would rather bring in troubled talent on the offense. again i think this is rex's influence to an extent, that's how he would do it if he were the gm. he'd draft wilk, wilson and coples, demario davis and a few safeties, draft a raw tall wr and draft big slow rbs like greene, connor and gannaway to ground and pound. the past few drafts really seem like rex's imprint, sadly, the mark of a defensive-minded coach who neither understands the intricacies of offense nor appreciates the fact that while he spends so much time scheming for all these elaborate offenses around the nfl, opposing defensive coordinators don't have nearly the task with his own offense b/c he's in the gm's ear telling him 'defense, defense, defense'.
    Excellent post, so true.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    06 and 07 he has 2 possible HOF players in Mangold and Revis..
    Mangold is no where near HOF

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us