Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: How Bad have Tannenbaum's Drafts Been?

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,267
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    Mangold is no where near HOF
    I hope this is a joke

    he may have played bad last week, but come on now

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    I hope this is a joke

    he may have played bad last week, but come on now
    If anyone was close to HOF on the Jets oline it was Damien Woody.

    Mangold gets a lot of credit for being a center...its more because of how bad the Jets offenses have been. Mangold isnt even the best Jets center in history. And even then, the impact a center has isnt near what a tackle has. How many centers are even in the HOF? There arent many....Mangold sure isnt at that level.

    Mawae was a pain in the ass as a person but he was the better player.

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    If anyone was close to HOF on the Jets oline it was Damien Woody.

    Mangold gets a lot of credit for being a center...its more because of how bad the Jets offenses have been. Mangold isnt even the best Jets center in history. And even then, the impact a center has isnt near what a tackle has. How many centers are even in the HOF? There arent many....Mangold sure isnt at that level.

    Mawae was a pain in the ass as a person but he was the better player.
    People forget Woodys last season with the Jets people couldn't wait to get rid of him. He looked old and out of shape.

    He's nowhere near a HOF player

  4. #24
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few problems with the Tanny drafts:

    Lack of Depth: Trading so many picks to move up in the draft or for players from other teams has made the Jets a bit of a shallow talent pool. I don't know if there are any teams that have come close to the amount of draft pick trades that the Jets have done under Tanny.

    Drafting Projects: many players have been guys who need some serious coaching. Talented and impressive at the combine but not so much in game situations. Example: I believe Sanchez can be a serviceable NFL QB that you can win with, but when you draft a guy with only 1 year of college experience as a starter you have to know he is going to need to be coached much more than a traditional top 10 draft pick. Like many of the players Tanny has drafted, they seem to lack Football IQ.

    Over Confidence: Tanny seems to be too confident in his coaching staffs ability to turn athletic players into top level NFL producers. Example: Hill. A promising raw talented WR is elevated to #2 in his rookie season. Did he learn the nuances of proper route running in a few months?

    I don't think anything I wrote here is a revelation to Jet fans.

  5. #25
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,552
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Tannenbaum has not done an adequate job building a good team.

    He seemed to be banking on Sanchez becoming an elite QB by year 3 to mask all the poor personnel decisions, but did a bad job managing Sanchez' development in the process.
    agree mostly.

    Tanny's not bad at putting a team together but he's TERRIBLE at addressing needs. I mean he handled WR upgrades in the past but he just stopped doing it after Santonio. Plax was such a fail even from the start i mean a guy fresh out of prison? Really .... Also he should have bullied Rex into moving up for a speed rusher instead of getting these big DE's. Our DE's aren't pass rushers and sometimes u need those guys inside to help u with the pass rush. Our inside D linemen are great aganist the run but Pouha, Ellis, Devito and etc are below average pass rushers. Those guys inside may not get the sacks but they create enough havoc to dictate protection to keep a QB in the pocket and then the outside guys have a lot more space to work their moves.

    Biggest mistake Tanny has done was letting Rex go CB, DE, DE, in round 1 of the draft. CB wasn't a need 3 years ago and to be frank the D Line rotation with veterans wasn't the worse thing for us. We were managing ... where we lacked big time was with the LB's and giving Sanchez some REAL deadly weapons. Look at one Julio Jones alone has done for Matt Ryan. Add that with White, Gonzalez, O line and a consistent running game ... Had we done what ATL did which is keep adding for our QB we'd be good. We actually took away more weapons, stood still, or just downgraded. Not a recipe for success.

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,482
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    If anyone was close to HOF on the Jets oline it was Damien Woody.

    Mangold gets a lot of credit for being a center...its more because of how bad the Jets offenses have been. Mangold isnt even the best Jets center in history. And even then, the impact a center has isnt near what a tackle has. How many centers are even in the HOF? There arent many....Mangold sure isnt at that level.

    Mawae was a pain in the ass as a person but he was the better player.
    This is a bad joke, unless Thor magically plays every game as poorly as the last one. The whole nation recognizes him as the best center in the game and have for the last few years. They don't have a bias to the jets being bad either.

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    agree mostly.

    Tanny's not bad at putting a team together but he's TERRIBLE at addressing needs. I mean he handled WR upgrades in the past but he just stopped doing it after Santonio. Plax was such a fail even from the start i mean a guy fresh out of prison? Really .... Also he should have bullied Rex into moving up for a speed rusher instead of getting these big DE's. Our DE's aren't pass rushers and sometimes u need those guys inside to help u with the pass rush. Our inside D linemen are great aganist the run but Pouha, Ellis, Devito and etc are below average pass rushers. Those guys inside may not get the sacks but they create enough havoc to dictate protection to keep a QB in the pocket and then the outside guys have a lot more space to work their moves.

    Biggest mistake Tanny has done was letting Rex go CB, DE, DE, in round 1 of the draft. CB wasn't a need 3 years ago and to be frank the D Line rotation with veterans wasn't the worse thing for us. We were managing ... where we lacked big time was with the LB's and giving Sanchez some REAL deadly weapons. Look at one Julio Jones alone has done for Matt Ryan. Add that with White, Gonzalez, O line and a consistent running game ... Had we done what ATL did which is keep adding for our QB we'd be good. We actually took away more weapons, stood still, or just downgraded. Not a recipe for success.
    You need more than 2 CBs in today's NFL. Actually you need more than 3.

    Wilk, Ellis and Coples are all young and need time.

    Neglecting the OLB position is killing this D. Too old and slow

    Hill is supposed to develop into that big play WR

    Why they drafted 3 slot WRs (Kerley, McKnight and White) the past 2 drafts is mind boggling

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    People forget Woodys last season with the Jets people couldn't wait to get rid of him. He looked old and out of shape.
    That never happened.

    He's nowhere near a HOF player
    Agreed, but neither is Mangold

  9. #29
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    Mangold is no where near HOF
    His play is off so far this season.

  10. #30
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    That never happened.
    Yes it did.

  11. #31
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    kyle wilson is not a starter bc of revis.

    wilson was drafted to the starting NB. which he is...
    Then thats a really bad pick you dont wasted a first round pick on a nickle back when you have other needs.

  12. #32
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    Tally up all the draft picks Tannenbaum has traded away over the last six years and you'll have your answer as to why the Jets have no depth.
    False. The Jets main problem is their starters, not depth. We have been a disaster b/c over the last few years since every single one of our 1st-3rd round picks has been a bust. You trade away entire drafts to net players like Harris and Revis in the same year. You dont spend 1st round picks on busts Gholston, Wilson, and Wilkerson.

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,717
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft-wise Tanny has been in a slump from 2010 on. How anyone can argue to the contrary is mind-boggling.

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,717
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969 View Post
    Then thats a really bad pick you dont wasted a first round pick on a nickle back when you have other needs.
    Wilson was supposed to eventually be our #2 CB and make Cro expendable. Same thing with Ducasse and the RT position. Both of them suck. What's a shame is that we whiffed on getting a cheap, young run stuffing NT like Cody.

  15. #35
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think tanny's fatal flaw was that he relied too much on imput from the coaches, mangini and rex, rather than take bap based on the scouts. that's what happens when you put a non-football guy in charge, he is prone to trust people other than the scouts in making choices. specifically since rex came i think it all went downhill. they were basically seduced by sanchez's low key cali personality and ignored that he had all of 1 year of college experience. i'm sure the wilson pick was rex's. ducasse seems to be a sentimental blunder by tanny. it's like fantasy football here where you have a partner or two and decide on the fly what you're doing. every year the philosophy changes and it's not clear why.

    also, they've spent so much time and money chasing names, particularly on offense, from farve to holmes, edwards to TJ, i'm sure there's more. the annoying thing is that they definitely seem dedicated to building the defense organically, for the most part, but would rather bring in troubled talent on the offense. again i think this is rex's influence to an extent, that's how he would do it if he were the gm. he'd draft wilk, wilson and coples, demario davis and a few safeties, draft a raw tall wr and draft big slow rbs like greene, connor and gannaway to ground and pound. the past few drafts really seem like rex's imprint, sadly, the mark of a defensive-minded coach who neither understands the intricacies of offense nor appreciates the fact that while he spends so much time scheming for all these elaborate offenses around the nfl, opposing defensive coordinators don't have nearly the task with his own offense b/c he's in the gm's ear telling him 'defense, defense, defense'.
    While im not saying youre wrong, I feel like Terry Bradway being our head of scouting (at least i think thats still the case) is often overlooked. he was a horrible gm and i would imagine he has a great deal of influence on tannenbaums decisions because of his position

    Note:if Bradway no longer holds this position or works for the jets disregard this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us