Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FFToday on Greg McElroy

FFToday on Greg McElroy

"For the Jets, is Greg McElroy the best passer on this team? I hate to be so terrible to Mark Sanchez, who just got paid and has a great record, but I’ve liked McElroy since college. I’ve spoken at length on how a quarterback’s brain is more important than his arm or legs in modern-age football, and this is why Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are able to play at the level they do. Not to mention his Rhodes scholarship finalist status, McElroy scored a 48 out of 50 on the Wonderlic test (twice the average score of quarterbacks) and was sadly underwritten.

Why do I bring this up? In my opinion, the Jets are sitting on a goldmine in McElroy and will someday be rewarded if the Sanchez–Tebow combination ever gets run out of town. I don’t know what will happen if this team continues to flounder, but if they give McElroy a real starter’s chance, I believe he will change the concept and the skill level of the Jets offense on the field."

Quote Originally Posted by NowLet'sGoEatAF'NSnack View Post
    "For the Jets, is Greg McElroy the best passer on this team? I hate to be so terrible to Mark Sanchez, who just got paid and has a great record, but I’ve liked McElroy since college. I’ve spoken at length on how a quarterback’s brain is more important than his arm or legs in modern-age football, and this is why Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are able to play at the level they do. Not to mention his Rhodes scholarship finalist status, McElroy scored a 48 out of 50 on the Wonderlic test (twice the average score of quarterbacks) and was sadly underwritten.

Why do I bring this up? In my opinion, the Jets are sitting on a goldmine in McElroy and will someday be rewarded if the Sanchez–Tebow combination ever gets run out of town. I don’t know what will happen if this team continues to flounder, but if they give McElroy a real starter’s chance, I believe he will change the concept and the skill level of the Jets offense on the field."
    meh..I am tired of looking to the guy holding the clipboard as being the answer.

Foley, Lucas, Clemens, Bollinger...the list goes on and on

"I’ve spoken at length on how a quarterback’s brain is more important than his arm or legs in modern-age football. Not to mention his Rhodes scholarship finalist status, McElroy scored a 48 out of 50 on the Wonderlic test (twice the average score of quarterbacks) and was sadly underwritten."
    So he's a less talented, less well regarded, less physically gifted Chad Pennington?

We really should keep a running thread to count all the Jaggy-JAG #3 QB's that Jets Fans have proclaimed "could be a real star, if only they get their chance". The list could blot out the sun.....

It's just one man's opinion, and I think it's laughable to mention Manning and Brees in comparison to what we've seen arm-strength wise from McElroy, but that doesn't change the fact that we're not talking about a Tory Woodbury or Brooks Bollinger who didn't even really do enough in college to warrant a place in the NFL.

McElroy was a legit winner at Alabama who put up similar numbers to Tebow in one less season. I wouldn't want to see him before the Jets were at least 3 games below .500, but players with lesser pedigrees have become legitimate NFL starters.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    So he's a less talented, less well regarded, less physically gifted Chad Pennington?

We really should keep a running thread to count all the Jaggy-JAG #3 QB's that Jets Fans have proclaimed "could be a real star, if only they get their chance". The list could blot out the sun.....
    While that is true, it appears as if we have future 'Jaggy-JAG #3 QB's" as a starter and backup.

go for it. Sanchez and Tebow are both garbage so its worth a shot.

All League
    If he had an arm, he could be a solid nfl QB. The problem is, his arm strength is worse than penny's was. Now if we keep on this skid, give him a shot, what would we have to lose?

Ah, the Jets fans most consistently popular player - the backup quarterback.

Nobody is going to be good with what we have. NOBODY.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    Ah, the Jets fans most consistently popular player - the backup quarterback.

Nobody is going to be good with what we have. NOBODY.
    Except he's not even the backup. This is Ratliff Syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Except he's not even the backup. This is Ratliff Syndrome.
    It's a fair point. You can't successfully argue against some form of irrationality when trying to pump up a 3rd-stringer like McElroy. But I have a hard time putting him in the Ratliff bucket when he was as successful as he was in college.

Not all, but most of the people supporting a move to McElroy just want to see if he has the potential to be a backup in this league. Those same people have given up on Sanchez, and don't want to see Tebow. Why not see what he has?

leads the league in unapplied wonderlic

Everyone loves the back up QB. That is until he plays. For every tom brady there is about 173 Matt Cassel's

The guy won a national championship and was coached by saban. I don't think he's a scrub. I would not be surprised if he can read defenses better than Sanchez and almost certainly is more accurate. You can be damn sure he can throw a friggin screen pass and I'm pretty sure he can complete a 5-10yd pass, which is more than we can can say for sanchez. If the team continues to lose McElroy should get a fair shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    If he had an arm, he could be a solid nfl QB. The problem is, his arm strength is worse than penny's was. Now if we keep on this skid, give him a shot, what would we have to lose?
    We don't throw down the field much or even across the field
    Release would seem to be more important than arm strength

Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    They guy won a national championship and was coached by saban. I don't think he's a scrub. I would not be surprised if he can read defenses better than Sanchez and almost certainly is more accurate. You can be damn sure he can throw a friggin screen pass and I'm pretty sure he can complete a 5-10yd pass, which is more than we can can say for sanchez. If the team continues to lose McElroy should get a fair shot.
    Replace McElroy with Lucas, Ratliff, Foley, Bollinger, Clemens, and about 10 other names, and you have the last 20 years of Jet Fan Dementia.

But if dreams of McElroy are what gets you all through the day, so be it.

Replace McElroy with Lucas, Ratliff, Foley, Bollinger, Clemens, and about 10 other names, and you have the last 20 years of Jet Fan Dementia.

I get what your saying but how many national championships did those guys win? Alabama is basically a farm team for the nfl with a former nfl coach running an advanced program. Those guys were scrubs from nowhere schools mostly.

Sometimes it is luck of the draw
    We're the patriots fans saying the same thing about Brady ( no comparisons being made here). If that high draft choice qb doesn't get hurt
    6 th round choice doesn't play
    We are do to have some luck sometime.
    If this keeps up give it a shot
    Nothing to lose but everything to gain

All Pro

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a Harvard scholar.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    It's just one man's opinion, and I think it's laughable to mention Manning and Brees in comparison to what we've seen arm-strength wise from McElroy, but that doesn't change the fact that we're not talking about a Tory Woodbury or Brooks Bollinger who didn't even really do enough in college to warrant a place in the NFL.

McElroy was a legit winner at Alabama who put up similar numbers to Tebow in one less season. I wouldn't want to see him before the Jets were at least 3 games below .500, but players with lesser pedigrees have become legitimate NFL starters.
    Can one of you noodle-arm experts put up some video of McElroy's crappy passes. I know the physics of air is different in college games but what I see on youtube looks good to me.

More important, I thought he looked great live in last year's preseason. Especially getting the crap kicked out of him and always getting back up and never complaining. I know you said he's worth a shot and I agree. I'm just tired of this hearsay noodle arm stuff without some backup.

If the Jets are sitting at 2-10 and Sanchez is playing as bad as he is now, what exactly do you recommend they should do? Continue to trot Sanchez out there to play awfully? Tebow blows, so there's no reason to even consider bothering with him, so if that is the case, why not let McElroy finish the season and see what he's got? There's literally NOTHING to lose if the season gets to that point. Hopefully it won't happen, but sitting here right now there's really no reason to think that there is any hope of salvaging the year, so for the price of nothing we would get to see whether McElroy can play in the league or not.