Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can any coach manage this situation ?

Can any coach manage this situation ?

Like fellow posters I was a bit taken back by Rex's press conference. He seemed like someone who just lost his best friend, dog and house. But let's be real here: he has to know in his heart that this Jets team is not as talented as he thought and has a very low probability to make the playoffs. So then how do you convince players who may have eyes on joining new teams next year that they need to give 100% ? Sure some may do well in hopes of trying to make themselves look good for new teams but right now I see a lot of dead weight that is probably going to be shown the door after the season.

This would be a challenge for any coach to handle. In addition it looks like you have a medling owner who make decision based on what's best for the back page of the papers rather than the team. It's a tough situation at best

He's a major part of the problem. The reason it got this way was because of his arrogance and lack of leadership. It might be too hard for anyone to fix now, but it's his fault in the first place.

Everyone knew when his tenure fell apart it was going to be a loud, violent crash.

Belichek, a young Parcells, Coughlin, Cowher would all handle the situation much better than Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    He's a major part of the problem. The reason it got this way was because of his arrogance and lack of leadership. It might be too hard for anyone to fix now, but it's his fault in the first place.

Everyone knew when his tenure fell apart it was going to be a loud, violent crash.
    You raise a very good point. It's too easy to be humbled in this league nobody should ever be that arrogant unless they cheat like that Patsies did

Great leaders thrive in ****ty situations. It's the ultimate test of your ability and charisma.

We'll soon see if Rex really has it or is just a big blowhard.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    You raise a very good point. It's too easy to be humbled in this league nobody should ever be that arrogant unless they cheat like that Patsies did
    Agreed. While from the opposite spectrum I think it was Mangini's downfall too, he tried to be just like Billicheat without the resume to back it up.
    Last edited by fidelioion; 10-03-2012 at 04:43 PM.

"This is the best team I have had in my 5 years here"

What a stupid thing to say. Did anyone believe that was true? Did Rex? I doubt it

Itís 1999 all over again. Poor personnel decisions coupled with key injuries means crappy team.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Every damn day this guy starts these mindless threads

Quote Originally Posted by LotteryPick6 View Post
    "This is the best team I have had in my 5 years here"

What a stupid thing to say. Did anyone believe that was true? Did Rex? I doubt it
    I have to be honest.

I really liked the talent on this team going into the pre-season

Defense had youth and speed upfront with Coples, Ellis, Maybin and Wilk. I expected them all to be playing a lot.

Offense fixed the RT spot added speed on the outside with Hill and I honestly thought Sanchez would take a big leap...

I was clearly very wrong and so was our HC.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Belichek, a young Parcells, Coughlin, Cowher would all handle the situation much better than Rex.
    I just cant help but think that Rex is too much of a players coach when he needs to really kick some ass. Frankly I would have like to have seen a starter cut this week to send a message that changes are imminent because after the season some of these starters are going to be shown the door anyway. And for God's sake can anyone explain why the hell they gave Sanchez a contract extension and $8 million signing bonus during the off season ???

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I have to be honest.

I really liked the talent on this team going into the pre-season

Defense had youth and speed upfront with Coples, Ellis, Maybin and Wilk. I expected them all to be playing a lot.

Offense fixed the RT spot added speed on the outside with Hill and I honestly thought Sanchez would take a big leap...

I was clearly very wrong and so was our HC.
    The problem is this team, for the most part, keeps drafting gifted athletic players. Fast, strong, big...but they are fairly poor football players (Bad route runners, bad tacklers, poor coverage skills). Add to that some fairly low character guys who have a reputation for not playing hard the full 60.

Not a recipe for building a winning franchise. The personnel has been getting worse and worse each year, and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    The problem is this team, for the most part, keeps drafting gifted athletic players. Fast, strong, big...but they are fairly poor football players (Bad route runners, bad tacklers, poor coverage skills). Add to that some fairly low character guys who have a reputation for not playing hard the full 60.

Not a recipe for building a winning franchise. The personnel has been getting worse and worse each year, and it shows.
    That's the problem. On paper there is a lot of potential talent on this team but that is not translating to execution and performance on the field

The biggest disappointment for me is how lousy some of our 'good' players have played, the ones that should be coming right into their prime. David Harris, a fav of mine when we drafted him looks like shi*. DBrick is mediocre, even Mangold looked bad last week. Pouha who was lights out last year looks bad.

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post

They keep drafting projects with skills but not football players with production. I think that could Be Bradway's influence. When he was GM he picked Bryan Thomas and Dwayne Robertson, guys with good combine numbers but limited production and/or from non-traditional football schools. He continues that tradition as scouting director with picks like ducassse, Wilson, hill, coples, etc.
    Last edited by barkus; 10-03-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    That's the problem. On paper there is a lot of potential talent on this team but that is not translating to execution and performance on the field
    I gotta put that on the coaching staff

Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    They keep drafting projects with skills but not football players with production.
    They are also letting guys go year after year; guys who weren't all-pro but were competent football players, and solid locker room people. Inexplicably to me.

Example:is Jerricho Cotchery a game changer? No, but would he be a solid option for SanchezísÖabsolutly...much better than the options they have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The biggest disappointment for me is how lousy some of our 'good' players have played, the ones that should be coming right into their prime. David Harris, a fav of mine when we drafted him looks like shi*. DBrick is mediocre, even Mangold looked bad last week. Pouha who was lights out last year looks bad.
    This is the biggest difference between last year and this year. The guys who have carried us in the past are having bad years.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Bingo

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Jimmy Johnson would too!