Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody ever consider that Maybe the Jets should have premoted Mangini to GM

Does anybody ever consider that Maybe the Jets should have premoted Mangini to GM

After Mangini left the Jets drafts are terrible this seems like more than a concidence that Maybe Mangini was running the whole draft and free agency and Bean counter was taking credit for doing nothing. Im really starting to wonder how much control Mangini had. Maybe Im wrong but is anybody thinking the same thing. Gholston was the only really bad draft pick to date.

Some of these threads make me want to punch myself in the balls for reading them.

Looking back it makes a lot more sense now. Mangini was pretty much in control of decisions during the time he was here. Tannenbaum did his number crunching and Mangini made personnel decisions.

Problem was, Mangini came off as a douche, was unnecessarily militant with team rules and wouldnt kiss Woody's ass. It was Mangini's way or the high way.

Not a bad coach, but he rubbed ppl the wrong way. Did the same thing in Cleveland.

Vernon Gholston.

I think that all the time. He is great at building teams and addressing there weakness.

Just not good at scheming or the passing game which is the key these days.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    Looking back it makes a lot more sense now. Mangini was pretty much in control of decisions during the time he was here. Tannenbaum did his number crunching and Mangini made personnel decisions.

Problem was, Mangini came off as a douche, was unnecessarily militant with team rules and wouldnt kiss Woody's ass. It was Mangini's way or the high way.

Not a bad coach, but he rubbed ppl the wrong way. Did the same thing in Cleveland.
    Really?

Want to tell us how you know this, other than to just say it because it fits the argument?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by cedk View Post
    I think that all the time. He is great at building teams and addressing there weakness.

Just not good at scheming or the passing game which is the key these days.
    And you can prove this how? I assume by listing all the teams he's built. Like in...ugh...and...ugh

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Vernon Gholston.
    I counter with Dbrickashaw, Mangold, Keller, Revis, Harris, Brad Smith, and Leon Washington as well as the emergence of Jericho Cotchery annd Kerry Rhodes. Mangini wasn't great but he had an eye for talent and has proven to be better at player development than Rex has been.

All League
    None of us know for sure who had the final decision or had the most say when it comes to that regime making draft picks, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mangini had a big part in the decision making.

I would think that in the end, whether it was Tannenbaum and Mangini or Rex, that both the HC and GM had a hand in each pick they made during their tenures together. I would lean towards the GM (Tannenbaum in this case) having the final say, with the HC having a big influence on the decisions. Obviously they have to work together though, because the GM doesn't want to be drafting a 4-3 DE for a 3-4 HC, or a big, mauler type lineman for a hurry up, up tempo, pass first offense.

Sent from my LG-P999

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Vernon Gholston.
    I've never seen definitive evidence that it was Mangini who wanted Ghost. But OK, we'll put that one on Mangini.

Leaving Gholston out of the equation, the drafts that Mangini participated in were far superior to the ones that occurred since he left.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Some of these threads make me want to punch myself in the balls for reading them.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by kdelgado View Post
    I counter with Dbrickashaw, Mangold, Keller, Revis, Harris, Brad Smith, and Leon Washington as well as the emergence of Jericho Cotchery annd Kerry Rhodes. Mangini wasn't great but he had an eye for talent and has proven to be better at player development than Rex has been.
    And if Rhodes and Cotchery were picked when Mangini was here you might have a point.

And a shred of proof that he picked any of these players for that matter.

Love the contention that Tanny had everything to do with the drafts we don't like and the ones we like were the result of letting the HC draft players.

You guys need to stop making sh1t up as you go along, the only player anyone has ever credited to Mangini is Gholsotn. And even thats shaky
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 10-03-2012 at 07:31 PM.

This is 100% truth.

If I'm Tanny, I'm lobbying Woody to hire Mangini now in some executive capacity in an effort to save my own job going forward. That would give Woody some hope that things would start heading in the right direction.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    And if Rhodes and Cotchery, Leon Washington, were picked when Mangini was here you might have a point.
    Read it again. I said their emergences happened during his tenure.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    I've never seen definitive evidence that it was Mangini who wanted Ghost. But OK, we'll put that one on Mangini.

Leaving Gholston out of the equation, the drafts that Mangini participated in were far superior to the ones that occurred since he left.
    Another one who wants to throw out Gholston and take credit for the good picks.

Good try though

Geez. Will you people learn about a front office and its structure, coaching staffs and their responsibilities and stop posting these crappy threads every other day.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Read it again. I said their emergences happened during his tenure.

And this has what to do with drafting and blaming the GM? And how does it fit the contention that he had an eye for talent.
    Or calling for him to be the GM? Stop spinning.

Or do you want Herm for GM.
    And if these players don't have the talent of those that Mangini coached what difference does it make who's the HC? Other that to fill some baseless agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    And you can prove this how? I assume by listing all the teams he's built. Like in...ugh...and...ugh
    Jets and Cleveland specially the offensive defense lines.
    Worked hard at getting experiencedd coaches when he can.

He only got a couple of years for a young first time coach but seemed better as a gm.

I remember when ChicaMiTipa (wheres he been?) and I constantly defended Mangini during his exit period with the jets about how bright Mangini is and how he'd be back and successful in the league.

This is why I thought so. I wanted him gone as HC, but I wanted to retain him in some sort of fashion simply because he clearly knew how to build a team. Rex brought in bart and leonard and took the team Mangini built to two straight AFC champ games and 2 straight top 3 defensive finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Geez. Will you people learn about a front office and its structure, coaching staffs and their responsibilities and stop posting these crappy threads every other day.
    The Jets dont run like other front offices this isnt the Pittsburgh Steelers. Rumors of Woody pushing to have Tebow start speaks volumes that this isnt a normal front office.