Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: Does anybody ever consider that Maybe the Jets should have premoted Mangini to GM

  1. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    a coach does have input on who is drafted Coples was a Rex pick the evidence indicates that.

  2. #22
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969 View Post
    After Mangini left the Jets drafts are terrible this seems like more than a concidence that Maybe Mangini was running the whole draft and free agency and Bean counter was taking credit for doing nothing. Im really starting to wonder how much control Mangini had. Maybe Im wrong but is anybody thinking the same thing. Gholston was the only really bad draft pick to date.
    I did a week ago and Braumeister called me an idiot.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    6,193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Imagine Mangini as GM and Rex as HC ? Would they coexist well together? I do think this team would be in a better state then what they are now. I don't think Mangini would go for keeping dead weight whether player or coach.

  4. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is just an idiotic notion. Mangini sucked for us and the Browns and can't get a coordinator position. Dump.

  5. #25
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I did a week ago and Braumeister called me an idiot.
    Well he can call me an idiot too because Im really believe Mangini had more say then people give him credit for. You look at drafts under Mangini and they were brillant David Harris in the 2nd was a steal. If you take Gholston out he had some quality drafts and free agent aquisitions Jenkins How about the Thomas Jones trade. Damian woody. Really do some research and see the current state and it resembles nothing like Tanabuam under Mangini. so what happen why so different now compared to under Mangini. even look at Rexs first year horrible 3 draft picks none are really any good Sanchez , Greene, and Slauson.

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,359
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis didn't become the best player in the league until Rex. See what I did there?

  7. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coach Breakdown 1: Eric Mangini

    Posted by Mike Harman on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 Under: Coach Breakdown

    Every so often I plan to have a Draftology special called "Coach Breakdown." In these articles I plan to take a coach in the NFL and look at their NFL Draft history to help breakdown what they like. Some coaches don't have a draft strategy and they draft based on value and direct need. But some coaches do have plans that they will do anything for, and that is what I want to expose.

    The first lesson ironically is based on Eric Mangini who was recently fired, but I have a feeling that he will be a coach again since he actually is a good talent evaluator (for the most part). There is no easy way to start so I think I'll do it simply with:

    FACT: Eric Mangini prioritizes a LT and a Center (via trade) in his first draft and a corner in his second draft.

    In 2006 in his first draft with the Jets, Mangini drafted D'Brickashaw Ferguson with his first pick. Ferguson has gone on to be one of the best tackles in the game at times and was worthy of the pick. The Jets also traded at the end of the round to get one of the best center prospects ever in Nick Mangold.

    In 2009 in his first season with the Browns Mangini traded back to get as much value as he could and drafted one of the best center prospects ever in Alex Mack. They didn't draft a LT because the team had recently taken a stud in Joe Thomas, but could have gotten either Andre Smith or Eugene Monroe there if he hadn't had Thomas.

    As you can see in Mangini's first year with a team he likes to command a team by solidifying the offensive line. He does this first by getting a great left tackle and then by solidifying the center of the line. This is a smart move in planing because having a great offensive line will help to make bad QB play work out a little better.

    In 2007 Mangini decided to take Darrelle Revis, cornerback from Pittsburgh. Revis had an injury for the combine and saw his stock fall some until he ran a good 40-time on his pro day. He is now arguably the 2nd best corner in the league (Nnamdi Asomugha is better and it isn't even close).

    In 2010 Mangini took Joe Haden in the early 1st round. Haden was a great prospect and was a consensus best corner until he was hurt in the combine. Haden ran a good time at his pro day and saw his stock improve. Haden had six interceptions and a sack and has even gotten rookie of the year mentions.

    This also makes sense from Mangini's standpoint. He drafts an under-the radar quality corner to take pressure off of the linebackers which also improves the run defense. If you look at the five first round players that Mangini took in his first two years of each team you would find three pro bowlers, and arguably some of the best five players in the game.

    I have no doubt in my mind that Mangini could find another head coaching gig and I think this is a basic prediction of what he could select.

    http://www.draftmaven.com/draft-scie...1-eric-mangini

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,359
    Post Thanks / Like
    From your article ``namndi is better than revis and it isn't even close"

  9. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Another one who wants to throw out Gholston and take credit for the good picks.

    Good try though
    I guess you didn't read the part of my post where I said "let's put that one on Mangini."

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,969
    Post Thanks / Like
    mangini drafted gholston.

  11. #31
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,877
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Some of these threads make me want to punch myself in the balls for reading them.
    I know I real thought the Jets fan base was more advanced.

  12. #32
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    E'Ville
    Posts
    1,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Geez. Will you people learn about a front office and its structure, coaching staffs and their responsibilities and stop posting these crappy threads every other day.


    +1

  13. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Revis didn't become the best player in the league until Rex. See what I did there?
    Mangini was never a good coach just good at scouting talent this thread point is would the Jets have been better off promoting him to a Gm position and hire Rex Ryan as coach would the Jets be better off talentwise.

  14. #34
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NC in the Hizzy
    Posts
    928
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    From your article ``namndi is better than revis and it isn't even close"
    Lost all credibility right there

  15. #35
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969 View Post
    The Jets dont run like other front offices this isnt the Pittsburgh Steelers. Rumors of Woody pushing to have Tebow start speaks volumes that this isnt a normal front office.
    Well then what would Mangini have to do with anything then

    The draft is run by Tanny, Bradway, Clinkscales (when he was here) and obviously their staffs (scouts) with input from the HC. Woody is also is the room

    Along with the scouts reports, all the coaches write up reports on potential players per their position

    All these reports go into a database and a grade is produced (draft round)

    Westhoff has said many times he also writes reports for potential picks from a special teams perspective.

    As has been mentioned, reported and said by Tanny many times Tanny, Bradway, Clinkscales and the HC all discuss the pick and come to a consensus. if a consensus cant be reached then Tanny has the final say.

    Tanny has said they go into each round with 5-6 players they want and it goes from there

    An example of this was 2011 5th round when Tanny said their list was dwindling fast so they traded up for Kerley.

    Again. The draft is just the beginning of a NFL players career. All players coming into the NFL AREN"T finished products. EVERY player has "warts"

    It's a coaching staffs responsibility to develop the players and correct (or hide) the warts as much as possible.
    They are also supposed develop plays/schemes that put their players in a position to succeed.

    Obviously it's never a 100% success rate.

    One thing I would hope the Jets organization (scouts) does is get the feedback from the coaches as the type of players they want to fit their system.
    I would hope the scouts are looking for CBs who have real good man skills as opposed to zone since Rex wants his CBs to play man.

    And yes. I do believe the Tebow move was all Woodys doing, along with Favre. But I've never heard or read Woody interjecting on the draft process. He leaves the draft up to his football staff.

  16. #36
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTjetfan52 View Post
    This is just an idiotic notion. Mangini sucked for us and the Browns and can't get a coordinator position. Dump.
    suck as a coach yes but go and look at the drafts and the free agency pick ups under Mangini Vs under Ryan and there is a big difference in how the Jets drafted and what free agents . maybe he has been offered somthing but turn it down because he has a nice confy tv spot the pays the same as he was getting as head coach would you give that up?

  17. #37
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,597
    Post Thanks / Like
    PREMOTED????!?!?!?????

  18. #38
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Well then what would Mangini have to do with anything then

    The draft is run by Tanny, Bradway, Clinkscales (when he was here) and obviously their staffs (scouts) with input from the HC. Woody is also is the room

    Along with the scouts reports, all the coaches write up reports on potential players per their position

    All these reports go into a database and a grade is produced (draft round)

    Westhoff has said many times he also writes reports for potential picks from a special teams perspective.

    As has been mentioned, reported and said by Tanny many times Tanny, Bradway, Clinkscales and the HC all discuss the pick and come to a consensus. if a consensus cant be reached then Tanny has the final say.

    Tanny has said they go into each round with 5-6 players they want and it goes from there

    An example of this was 2011 5th round when Tanny said their list was dwindling fast so they traded up for Kerley.

    Again. The draft is just the beginning of a NFL players career. All players coming into the NFL AREN"T finished products. EVERY player has "warts"

    It's a coaching staffs responsibility to develop the players and correct (or hide) the warts as much as possible.
    They are also supposed develop plays/schemes that put their players in a position to succeed.

    Obviously it's never a 100% success rate.

    One thing I would hope the Jets organization (scouts) does is get the feedback from the coaches as the type of players they want to fit their system.
    I would hope the scouts are looking for CBs who have real good man skills as opposed to zone since Rex wants his CBs to play man.

    And yes. I do believe the Tebow move was all Woodys doing, along with Favre. But I've never heard or read Woody interjecting on the draft process. He leaves the draft up to his football staff.
    so you are admitting that your one of the Jets higher ups disguised as a fan Im not kidding I know some are. if you are do me a favor fix this f####en mess because after 40 F#####en years my patience is wearing thin thank you

  19. #39
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969 View Post
    Coach Breakdown 1: Eric Mangini

    Posted by Mike Harman on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 Under: Coach Breakdown

    Every so often I plan to have a Draftology special called "Coach Breakdown." In these articles I plan to take a coach in the NFL and look at their NFL Draft history to help breakdown what they like. Some coaches don't have a draft strategy and they draft based on value and direct need. But some coaches do have plans that they will do anything for, and that is what I want to expose.

    The first lesson ironically is based on Eric Mangini who was recently fired, but I have a feeling that he will be a coach again since he actually is a good talent evaluator (for the most part). There is no easy way to start so I think I'll do it simply with:

    FACT: Eric Mangini prioritizes a LT and a Center (via trade) in his first draft and a corner in his second draft.

    In 2006 in his first draft with the Jets, Mangini drafted D'Brickashaw Ferguson with his first pick. Ferguson has gone on to be one of the best tackles in the game at times and was worthy of the pick. The Jets also traded at the end of the round to get one of the best center prospects ever in Nick Mangold.

    In 2009 in his first season with the Browns Mangini traded back to get as much value as he could and drafted one of the best center prospects ever in Alex Mack. They didn't draft a LT because the team had recently taken a stud in Joe Thomas, but could have gotten either Andre Smith or Eugene Monroe there if he hadn't had Thomas.

    As you can see in Mangini's first year with a team he likes to command a team by solidifying the offensive line. He does this first by getting a great left tackle and then by solidifying the center of the line. This is a smart move in planing because having a great offensive line will help to make bad QB play work out a little better.

    In 2007 Mangini decided to take Darrelle Revis, cornerback from Pittsburgh. Revis had an injury for the combine and saw his stock fall some until he ran a good 40-time on his pro day. He is now arguably the 2nd best corner in the league (Nnamdi Asomugha is better and it isn't even close).

    In 2010 Mangini took Joe Haden in the early 1st round. Haden was a great prospect and was a consensus best corner until he was hurt in the combine. Haden ran a good time at his pro day and saw his stock improve. Haden had six interceptions and a sack and has even gotten rookie of the year mentions.

    This also makes sense from Mangini's standpoint. He drafts an under-the radar quality corner to take pressure off of the linebackers which also improves the run defense. If you look at the five first round players that Mangini took in his first two years of each team you would find three pro bowlers, and arguably some of the best five players in the game.

    I have no doubt in my mind that Mangini could find another head coaching gig and I think this is a basic prediction of what he could select.

    http://www.draftmaven.com/draft-scie...1-eric-mangini
    Who is this writer? It's a BS article for the simple fact that Mike Holmgren took over the Browns Jan 2010. You know Mangini didn't pick anyone in that draft. It was all Holmgren and his staff.

    Joe Haden wasn't an under the radar CB. He was rated the 1st CB by most people in that draft. Some did actually rate KWilson #1 CB

  20. #40
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Who is this writer? It's a BS article for the simple fact that Mike Holmgren took over the Browns Jan 2010. You know Mangini didn't pick anyone in that draft. It was all Holmgren and his staff.

    Joe Haden wasn't an under the radar CB. He was rated the 1st CB by most people in that draft. Some did actually rate KWilson #1 CB
    2009 Holgren wasnt hired until 10 after mangini first season with the Browns. Mangini gave us Mark Sanchez that was before Holgren

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us