Thread: would the Jets have beat Denver in the 1986 AFCG?

would the Jets have beat Denver in the 1986 AFCG?

I don't think so. Even though we beat them earlier that year, we weren't the same team come playoff time. Too many injuries and a QB who's confidence was shot at that point. Would have been nice to see though.

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    The 1986 NY Jets, when healthy, could have beaten anybody! They were a shell of themselves in the playoffs and were a Gastineau roughing penalty away from going the AFC Title game.

In the state they were in, it would have been difficult to defeat the Broncos.

I don't think so either. The team was depleted at that time, especially on defense. Elway would have picked them apart.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post

In a way its good that we didn't, because those Giants would have smacked the piss out of us, we'd never have lived it down. F*ck that Gastineau either way.

SAR I

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

In a way its good that we didn't, because those Giants would have smacked the piss out of us, we'd never have lived it down. F*ck that Gastineau either way.

SAR I
    Totally agree. We'd be seeing highlights of LT crushing Pat Ryan and Kenny O for another 50 years. That team was not in the same league as the Giants, not after the injuries and the QB meltdown.

Practice Squad
    Nope. The team still had a few injuries. Klecko, for one, was still out. Ken O'Brien's head was all over the place, as well. It was not the team that went 10-1...having said that it was not the team that lost the last five games of the regular season either. The Giants got hot towards the end of the regular season, and were devastating in the playoffs. If the Jets had somehow overcome the Browns and the Broncos, the Giants would have beaten them.

It was a crazy season, though!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dublinjetsfan View Post
    Nope. The team still had a few injuries. Klecko, for one, was still out. Ken O'Brien's head was all over the place, as well. It was not the team that went 10-1...having said that it was not the team that lost the last five games of the regular season either. The Giants got hot towards the end of the regular season, and were devastating in the playoffs. If the Jets had somehow overcome the Browns and the Broncos, the Giants would have beaten them.

It was a crazy season, though!!!!
    I will never forget that season. Paul McGuire saying we would not win another game after we started 10-1!! He was right outside of the playoffs to be exact.

Damm I was 11 years old and I remember that crap like it was yesterday. I also remember McGuires dumb look on his face during his sports telecast.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceMehl View Post
    I will never forget that season. Paul McGuire saying we would not win another game after we started 10-1!! He was right outside of the playoffs to be exact.
    O'Brien was never the same after that slump! He had a few ok-ish seasons, but was never as good as he was before. For a few years he had been up there with the best!

We were lucky to face KC and then Cleveland, neither of which had a dominant QB. Our D was still good enough to stop the run but probably wouldn't have had an answer for Elway.

In retrospect, all 4 of the 1980s playoff losses were just gut-wrenchingly painful.

All Pro
    I'm a younger fan here so would anyone mind telling me the story of the 1986 Jets please?

Practice Squad
    1986 started 10-1, then were decimated by injuries. Lost their last 5, but still made the playoffs. Had a 10pt lead late in the divisional playoff. Game was wrapped up, but ole # '99 committed a personal foul on a 4th down. Cleveland tied it up. Went to OT. Pat Leahy missed a chip shot in OT. Jets wind up losing.

I DO think we win in Denver if we got past Cleveland. However, the Giants would of destroyed us. It is best we lost in Cleveland.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I'm a younger fan here so would anyone mind telling me the story of the 1986 Jets please?
    It basically went like this :

After losing to the Patriots in week 2, the Jets went on a hot streak, and were 10-1 by week eleven. The best record in the NFL. However, key players were getting injured along the way. On defense in particular.

It all fell apart in spectacular style in week 12. They lost 45-3 to the Dolphins !!!! They went on to lose heavily in the remainder of the games on the schedule, finishing 10-6, and getting a wildcard. The Patriots won the division.

In the wildcard game they beat the Kansas City Chiefs. Starting QB Ken O'Brien got pulled for this game, and replacement Pat Ryan played instead.

They lost in the Divisional Playoff in double overtime to the Cleveland Browns. The worst Jets defeat ever, IMO.

If I have left anything out, feel free to add.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The 2012 season will be painful enough. No need to bring the misery of 1986 up again.

Best Jets season I ever experienced. O'brien to Toon was as good as Montana to Rice. That loss to the Browns was devastating (thank you Gastineau) because the Jets outplayed them that day, only to throw the game away. Due to the injuries on defense, I doubt the Jets would've been much of a match against Elway and that high powered offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jmat321 View Post
    1986 started 10-1, then were decimated by injuries. Lost their last 5, but still made the playoffs. Had a 10pt lead late in the divisional playoff. Game was wrapped up, but ole # '99 committed a personal foul on a 4th down. Cleveland tied it up. Went to OT. Pat Leahy missed a chip shot in OT. Jets wind up losing.

I DO think we win in Denver if we got past Cleveland. However, the Giants would of destroyed us. It is best we lost in Cleveland.
    The Giants D was great however as good as Simms played in the Bowl his regular season stats were 21 TDs 22 picks completing 55% of his passes with 9 fumbles..

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    The Giants D was great however as good as Simms played in the Bowl his regular season stats were 21 TDs 22 picks completing 55% of his passes with 9 fumbles..
    If I recall correctly, the Giants had quite a few ugly wins during that season. They were the real deal by the time it came to the playoffs though!

No they would not have. The defense had been decimated. Kenny O'Brien's play in the 9 game winning streak was the best QB play the Jets have ever had. But it did not last...