Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Flynn ?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt Flynn ?

I'm probably going to get dumped for this, but if the opportunity presented itself, would you do a trade of Sanchez for Flynn ?

In my opinion it makes sense, because Sanchez has 2 years left on his Contract and Flynn has 3. Both have, off the top of my head, have 10 mil guaranteed. It gives Pete Carroll his College sweetheart and still a quality backup for cheaper, and it gives us an actual NFL QB.

So if Tanny pulls the trigger would you be for it?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    I'm probably going to get dumped for this, but if the opportunity presented itself, would you do a trade of Sanchez for Flynn ?

In my opinion it makes sense, because Sanchez has 2 years left on his Contract and Flynn has 3. Both have, off the top of my head, have 10 mil guaranteed. It gives Pete Carroll his College sweetheart and still a quality backup for cheaper, and it gives us an actual NFL QB.

So if Tanny pulls the trigger would you be for it?
    I'm pretty sure that your numbers a waaaay off. Sanchez is at about $20 mil guaranteed over the next two years, not $10 mil.
    Last edited by Demosthenes9; 10-04-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just checked it out.

Matt Flynn has 10 mil guaranteed this year and the next 2 years while he can make up to 26 mil

Mark Sanchez has 11 mil guaranteed this year (which we already payed), 8.25 mil guaranteed next year, and nothing guaranteed for 2014-16.

So it still would work out for Seattle.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just checked it out.

Matt Flynn has 10 mil guaranteed this year and the next 2 years while he can make up to 26 mil

Mark Sanchez has 11 mil guaranteed this year "which we already payed", 8.25 mil guaranteed next year, and nothing guaranteed for 2014-16.

So it still would work out for Seattle.
    When would this trade supposedly take place ?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    IF it happened, hopefully sooner rather than later. Idk I was trying to make a topic that was different from all the other "Fire (Insert Name Here)" threads.

The question was would you be for it IF it happened. Which it probably won't -_-

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    IF it happened, hopefully sooner rather than later. Idk I was trying to make a topic that was different from all the other "Fire (Insert Name Here)" threads.

The question was would you be for it IF it happened. Which it probably won't -_-
    Reason I'm asking is that I seriously doubt that the Jets would eat Sanchez's money for the entire year if he was traded. The other team would have to absorb it. That gets back to the $20 mil guaranteed, though it would be prorated to some extent due to 1/4 of the season being gone. Have to factor that in when looking at it.

Additionally, don't trades impact salary cap the same way cutting a player does ? Wouldn't trading Sanchez result in a huge cap hit from dead money ?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Reason I'm asking is that I seriously doubt that the Jets would eat Sanchez's money for the entire year if he was traded. The other team would have to absorb it. That gets back to the $20 mil guaranteed, though it would be prorated to some extent due to 1/4 of the season being gone. Have to factor that in when looking at it.

Additionally, don't trades impact salary cap the same way cutting a player does ? Wouldn't trading Sanchez result in a huge cap hit from dead money ?
    No, a trade would accelerate any prorated money from a signing bonus, not guaranteed salaries. If he was traded and the jets didnt offer to pick up any of the guaranteed salary, the other team would be on the hook for the 2013 salary. In contrast, if the Jets ga e Sanchez a big signing bonus which was prorated over 2012 - 2014, the amounts allocated to 2014 would accelerate and hit the Jets cap next year (along with the 2013 cap hit) as dead money.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flynn's contract is structured in a VERY team friendly way, while we owe $17 million to sanchez next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So everybody else out there is stupid? Hicks in seattle just waiting to get fleeced by the NY geniuses?
    Everybody out there has seen Sanchez. Overpriced. Undertalented. He might have had potential but it got misused.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Flynn's contract is structured in a VERY team friendly way, while we owe $17 million to sanchez next year.
    Yeah, Tanny's a cap guru. My Ass!!!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Word is that Carroll is strongly looking at Flynn if Wilson's production doesn't improve. It might be true since Flynn got banged up in the preseason.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    So everybody else out there is stupid? Hicks in seattle just waiting to get fleeced by the NY geniuses?
    Everybody out there has seen Sanchez. Overpriced. Undertalented. He might have had potential but it got misused.
    I love it when fans say "trade this terrible player" as if other teams in the league have no idea that the player is terrible.

It only worked with Wayne Hunter because the player we got in return was also terrible, so all we can expect in return for Sanchez is a QB that's near the bottom of the league in completion percentage and/or is poorly thought of by his own team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flynn signed a 3 year deal worth a maximum of $26M if he met a number of requirements. He received $10M in guarantees.

The base salaries for the next 3 years are 2M, 5.25M, and 6.25M. His signing bonus is pro-rated at 2M/yr for each of the 3 years, so he's got another $4M in guarantees somewhere in those 3 years.

This wouldn't be a feasible trade. Sanchez makes way more money than Flynn. Sanchez also has $7.1M of pro-rated bonus money that would accelerate onto this year's cap. No way any team wants to carry a backup with a $13M cap charge for a year. Then, even when he's cut after the 2013 season, you're still going to be carrying almost $5M in dead money for 2014. That's going to be OK for us, because it's a lot less than the $13M we'd be paying him otherwise, but Seattle can get out of using any of that cap space by simply not trading for him. There's no reason for them to make such a trade unless we were giving them draft picks.
    Last edited by JB1089; 10-04-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah I think Sanchize is here through 2013.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice idea but it will (unfortunately) never happen

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would Seattle want to back up a rookie with a guy who is in his fourth year and still plays like a rookie? Albeit it Flynn doesn't have extensive starting QB experience, but at least his contract is very team-friendly. Sanchez has nearly $20 million guaranteed between this season and next.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    3 years ago was the time to look for a guy like Flynn. We were already pretty stacked at every position and a veteran QB with potential would have served us well. Now is the time to look to the daft. We stink in so many positions it's not even funny. We don't have a good RB. Our WR's are crap. Our LB's are crap. Our Safeties are both on 1 year contracts. Our OL consists of 2 inconsistent guys (Slauson and Howard) and one old guy (Moore). Our DL is getting mauled and run all over (maybe fixable). We have zero depth anywhere. Matt Flynn does not help at all.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    flynn will have the same results here. without rbs wrs tes and blockers no one can be succesful here. this isnt really all sanchez fault.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you want Flynn if he couldn't even beat out a rookie in preseason and was a big FA signing for the Seattle?

I don't get it. If Flynn was any good he shouldve been the starter day 1.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    +1