Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Sanchez Lack Emotional and/or Metal Toughness?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Not mentally or physically tough at all. However not all of it is his fault. Year one he ran a few times and got bopped, of course the media expressed concern that a franchise Qb would be taking shots and our coaches in their laughing style said 'He won't be doing that anymore I'll tell ya.'

They preached to him to not run, not be aggressive, not to take a hit but check down. so now he almost never runs even if there is a semi truck sized running lane in front of him and if he gets bopped early he is ruined for the game. In my mind he has a poor pocket presence and reaction to hits as much because he was coddled and told not avoid hits at all cost as much as actually getting smacked.
    Most accurate post in a thread full of accurate descriptions of Sanchez.

He is the depressing combination of a guy with decent football ability undone by a lack of overall toughness and blatant mishandling by an inept coaching staff.

In hindsight, Mark Sanchez's career was over when the brilliant "green/yellow/red" system was implemented. Seemed like a bad idea at the time, and I think you can point to that as a turning point in Sanchez's approach to the game.

If you look at how he played prior to that system - which I think kicked in just before the Carolina game in '09 - you see a completely different QB than what we see today. Now he did have two games where he threw 4 & 5 interceptions respectively, but obviously the way that was handled did nothing for Sanchez's growth as a player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They preached to him to not run, not be aggressive, not to take a hit but check down. so now he almost never runs even if there is a semi truck sized running lane in front of him and if he gets bopped early he is ruined for the game. In my mind he has a poor pocket presence and reaction to hits as much because he was coddled and told not avoid hits at all cost as much as actually getting smacked.
    I don't think they were telling him not to run per se, but to slide at the end of the run.

Let's think about that:The Jets first round quarterback selection had to be taught how to slide properly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    I don't think they were telling him not to run per se, but to slide at the end of the run.

Let's think about that:The Jets first round quarterback selection had to be taught how to slide properly.
    Funny thing is the way the league teachs QB's to slide is exactly the WRONG way to slide if you want to avoid getting killed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Since it apepars someone deleted the "Is Sanchez a *****" thread, assumedly for the "*****" portion or some uncivil exchange within, I am re-starting the topic as the core issue, Sanchez and his mental and emotional toughness, warrants discussion.

So, the question posted (in less profane language) is as follows:

Does mark Sanchez lack mental and/or emotional toughness, and does that lack (if it exists) pose a core component of his inconsistent and often poor play?
    I totally disagree with the OP.

Sanchez was and is fine if the organization knew what the heck they were doing.

It is a disgrace what they did with Sanchez from day 1. The Jets organization is clueless.

Lets get this straight Sanchez looked awful at the end of last year because in no small part as a result of the talent around him; and what do the Jets do?

This year they "help" Sanchez by bringing in a raw rookie in Hill and Tebow ...

The talent level on this team taking Sanchez out of the equation may be the WORST in tthe NFL. The WORST!!!!

And somehow Sanchez is supposed to use magic dust and make that reality simply diappear. Welll if HOF bound Breese can't magically will his team to wins neither can Sanchez!!!!

I said two years ago that if the Jets don't want to invest in quality offensive skill position players around Sanchez before you either ruin him or he has no trade value then get rid of him!! The Jets couldn't even do that properly.

So no Sanchez is pleanty mentally tough enoungh IMO. It is the Jets organization which is at fault!!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 10-04-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post

It is a disgrace what they did with Sanchez from day 1. The Jets organization is clueless.

Lets get this straight Sanchez looked awful at the end of last year because in no small part as a result of the talent around him; and what do the Jets do?

The talent level on this team taking Sanchez out of the equation may be the WORST in tthe NFL. The WORST!!!!

And somehow Sanchez is supposed to use magic dust and make that reality simply diappear. Welll if HOF bound Breese can't magically will his team to wins neither can Sanchez!!!!

I said two years ago that if the Jets don't want to invest in quality offensive skill position players around Sanchez before you either ruin him or he has no trade value then get rid of him!! The Jets couldn't even do that properly.

So no Sanchez is pleanty mentally tough eoungh IMO. It is the Jets organization which is at fault!!!!
    There is no doubt since 2010 that Tannenbaum has systematically and significantly reduced the talent level around Sanchez each year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is the only person in this FO/CS that I would be willing to hold onto after the season is done. Even him I am on the fence about, but I really think there is potential for him if his surrounding cast is improved. Give him another year with better management and see what he can put together. But yea Tanny MUST go.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Does mark Sanchez lack mental and/or emotional toughness, and does that lack pose a core component of his inconsistent and often poor play?
    YES.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like

So no Sanchez is pleanty mentally tough enoungh IMO. It is the Jets organization which is at fault!!!!
    I can buy this. Like I say you must protect the king.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, he lacks the decision making skills under pressure necessary to be a Super Bowl caliber QB in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

No, you are very very wrong. Sanchez is the worst starting Qb in the league and most of it is totally on him. He is just not nearly as good as we thought or hoped. You can take every single excuse for his bad play into account and still pick out 1/2 dozen plays a game where he totally fails.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Overall, the game simply hasn't slowed down for him like it should have by now. At least, if he wants to be a solid starting QB in the NFL for 10+ years. The elite guys have everything going in slow motion - they can see the plays develop, know where guys are and be able to break down what defense is really out there despite the opponents best efforts to disguise it.

Its a tough task. Its the reason why simply having a big arm isn't enough. There are a lot of moving parts that are constantly changing and you need to be able to make snap decisions while very large men are bearing down on you.

I think we all hoped/assumed that it would simply just happen one day, especially with some signs that we've seen. But, to date, it simply isn't there with any consistency. Sanchez is still young enough to develop, but absent some real movement in the near future, I don't know that we can rely on him beyond this year, as our starting QB. He may be forced to be the starter next year because of his contract and the lack of other options, but that doesn't preclude the Jets from beginning to find his replacement starting this off season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not mentally or physically tough at all. However not all of it is his fault. Year one he ran a few times and got bopped, of course the media expressed concern that a franchise Qb would be taking shots and our coaches in their laughing style said 'He won't be doing that anymore I'll tell ya.'

I'm of the camp that there is definitely something wrong with Sanchez, but it's hard to put a finger on. He becomes rigid and mechanical under pressure or engages impulses that result in interceptions or fumbles. He doesn't seem at all in synch with receivers even with time. But he did run the ball in for what... six TD's last year? So he hasn't been avoiding running entirely. I think you're on to something in the point that so many head games have been played with him that it caused damage to his confidence... that appears to be true. I think Sanchez is done as a franchise QB. He will have an occasional good game that belies the truth, but overall he's not developed and he's really mediocre.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Overall, the game simply hasn't slowed down for him like it should have by now. At least, if he wants to be a solid starting QB in the NFL for 10+ years. The elite guys have everything going in slow motion - they can see the plays develop, know where guys are and be able to break down what defense is really out there despite the opponents best efforts to disguise it.

Its a tough task. Its the reason why simply having a big arm isn't enough. There are a lot of moving parts that are constantly changing and you need to be able to make snap decisions while very large men are bearing down on you.

I think we all hoped/assumed that it would simply just happen one day, especially with some signs that we've seen. But, to date, it simply isn't there with any consistency. Sanchez is still young enough to develop, but absent some real movement in the near future, I don't know that we can rely on him beyond this year, as our starting QB. He may be forced to be the starter next year because of his contract and the lack of other options, but that doesn't preclude the Jets from beginning to find his replacement starting this off season.
    This, worst case scenario you have a situation where you trade one of the QBs for draft picks. I would love to be in such a "predicament". Hopefully if Sanchez plays poorly, it's very poorly and we tank. Maybe Geno Smith (assuming he continues to back up his early play but against real defenses) in 2013 with a new GM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is neither accurate enough, smart enough, aware enough,
    He's a career backup at best and maybe not even that! I seriously cannot imagine how he continues to start when he's consistently week in and week out extremely poor or worse....................
    I've given up on him now and forever

jf

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that Sanchez is one of those guys that can't keep up with the pace of the NFL game. I don't think he ever will.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps a lack of testicular fortitude
    Most leader types have that

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy is the biggest ***** in the NFL. Zero heart. Another gret pick.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

This.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's put aside the mental toughness issue for a second and focus on the bigger problem at the moment IMO, and that's completion percent.

I just read on ESPNNY that Sanchez leads the NFL in "off-target incompletions", basically missed throws, at 35.

Sanchez has 128 attempts thus far. If he had a slight drop of off-target incompletions to 20, meaning 15 more on-target throws and completions, guess what his completion percentage would be? 61%

I believe the issue is more mechanical than anything and I still have to wonder what the hell Matt Cavanagh is doing as the QB coach. Those extra 15 completions are doable.

It's not the WRs (who do suck), it's Sanchez. Even with the drops, he could vastly improve his efficiency by making better throws. That must be dealth with before anything else.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    YES!