Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Trent Richardson

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Trent Richardson

I think Coples will be a very good player in this league, and I think Hill has that potential as well.

But in the run-up to the draft I went back and forth on whether I thought the Jets should trade up for Trent Richardson. In the end, I leaned "no", and I was happy that they stayed at 16. Now I'm not so sure. I think I'd trade Coples and Hill for Richardson.

I know running backs are a cheap commodity in the NFL, but if you're going to build an offense around a power running game, and you don't have all-world run blockers on your o-line, you just can't get away with a rotation of Shonn Greene and Bilal Powell. You can't keep drafting guys in the 4th or 7th rounds or signing UDFAs and hope you hit the lottery. You need to invest in a play-making back.

And to me there's really no doubt that if you swapped Coples and Hill on our roster for Richardson and, say, Jordan White, we'd be feeling a lot better about our offense four games in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why stop there, let’s go back in time and get Brady in round 6.

sorry for the sarcasm, but this is a no brainer at this time.

You got 3 guys who aren't productive and 1 guy who looks like he's the next coming of Adrian Peterson.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    I know running backs are a cheap commodity in the NFL, but if you're going to build an offense around a power running game, and you don't have all-world run blockers on your o-line, you just can't get away with a rotation of Shonn Greene and Bilal Powell. You can't keep drafting guys in the 4th or 7th rounds or signing UDFAs and hope you hit the lottery. You need to invest in a play-making back.
    First of all, the run-every 1st and 2nd down portion "ground and pound" experiment will be over with after this season. As will the Wildcat. We're playing dinosaur football and the better teams in the league are light years ahead of us offensively.

Secondly, you are correct to say that RBs running behind a stout O-line are a cheap commodity.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only reason you are considering that is becuase we have complete trash starting at RB.

Assume the Jets get a middle of the pack running back and it's not worth making that move. The failure was identifying Greene as not a starter.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Why stop there, let’s go back in time and get Brady in round 6.

sorry for the sarcasm, but this is a no brainer at this time.

You got 3 guys who aren't productive and 1 guy who looks like he's the next coming of Adrian Peterson.
    The whole point is that while it's obvious Richardson is more productive four games into his rookie season than Hill and Coples, it's not at all obvious he'll end up the better investment over the course of one, three, ten seasons, etc., for some of the reasons I've described. Namely, lots of offenses get away with UDFA and late-round running backs who turn out to be productive. But also because we knew Stephen Hill had to be developed before the Jets would know what they had with him. And so on.

So it's not at all the same as saying we should have drafted Brady in the 6th. Four games in, it's closer to first-guessing than second-guessing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    The only reason you are considering that is becuase we have complete trash starting at RB.

Assume the Jets get a middle of the pack running back and it's not worth making that move. The failure was identifying Greene as not a starter.
    Greene's performance has been shocking and the O line has lacked toughness and integrity as well. They should all be ashamed of themselves. Give Pow and Mck more carries, they've earned it as much as Greene has squandered his opportunities. Rex and Tanny have been too stiff necked by far

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Greene's performance has been shocking and the O line has lacked toughness and integrity as well. They should all be ashamed of themselves. Give Pow and Mck more carries, they've earned it as much as Greene has squandered his opportunities. Rex and Tanny have been too stiff necked by far
    Very little of our running game's issue has to do with the OL. Greene is terrible. He's the worst starting RB in the league IMO. He's slow to get to the hole, even slower to get through the hole, and on the shocking chance he does get through the hole you can bet your ass he'll find the nearest defender to run into.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The jets are in no position to be trading up for anyone. They have so many holes and so little depth that they need to trade down and get more draft picks. Trading up is when you're a few pieces away from putting it all together.

With that said, I'm sure the jets will continue to trade up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples/Ellis/Wilk will grow into a nasty DL. They have shown real promise and have been the only bright spot in the sh*tfest of a season so far. Ellis/Wilk had a rough game against the niners but were playing well before. Let's see if they bounce back, and contrary to people looking for immediate 17 sack performances, Coples has played well in his curiously limited snaps. I wouldn't trade for Richardson even if you gave me that deal right now. The problems on offense run so deep, including mediocre line play, raw/garbage WR-TE, and most importantly very poor QB play.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Browns traded up from the #4 overall pick to take him. They also gave up their 4th, 5th, and 7th rounders in the process. Our 1st and 2nd weren't getting it done.

And everyone would have killed them if they had.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As horrible as Tanny's draft record last few years has been I still think Coples and Hill will both develop into studs in the next couple years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Very little of our running game's issue has to do with the OL. Greene is terrible. He's the worst starting RB in the league IMO. He's slow to get to the hole, even slower to get through the hole, and on the shocking chance he does get through the hole you can bet your ass he'll find the nearest defender to run into.
    The OL play has really deteriorated from previous years and they have to shoulder their fair share of the blame. Greene has been the biggest problem by far and you can bet your own ass on that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    50% of the Top 10 rushers the last 2 years were 1st round picks.
    80% were taken within the first 3 rounds.

At some point the Jets need to invest in at least a 2nd round rated RB....or we can keep aiming for that small percentage of 4th- 7th rounders and keep missing.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Coples will be a very good player in this league, and I think Hill has that potential as well.

But in the run-up to the draft I went back and forth on whether I thought the Jets should trade up for Trent Richardson. In the end, I leaned "no", and I was happy that they stayed at 16. Now I'm not so sure. I think I'd trade Coples and Hill for Richardson.

And to me there's really no doubt that if you swapped Coples and Hill on our roster for Richardson and, say, Jordan White, we'd be feeling a lot better about our offense four games in.
    Felt the exact same way but to have a successful defensive (what Rex wants), a pass rush was desperately needed over RB help. Even though the jury is still out on Coples, I'm fine with staying at 16...for now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I know running backs are a cheap commodity in the NFL,

You answered your own question right there. NO way do you do something like that for a RB. If it's a franchise QB, pass rusher or left tackle, maybe, but even then you better be right. Trading up year after year (and usually being wrong) has decimated this roster.