Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobby V canned!

All League

Bobby V canned!

No surprise, from Day 1. He is a self absorbed jag off!

ESPN.com news services

The Boston Red Sox fired manager Bobby Valentine on Thursday, one day after completing the franchise's worst season in nearly five decades.

"Our 2012 season was disappointing for many reasons," Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said in a written statement. "No single issue is the reason, and no single individual is to blame."

The Red Sox went 69-93 this season under Valentine, finishing last in the American League East.

Boston hired Valentine, 62, last December following the fallout of the 2011 season, when the Red Sox collapsed down in September and missed the postseason. The late-season swoon led to a tumultuous offseason in Boston, as the Red Sox parted ways with then-manager Terry Francona and saw general manager Theo Epstein bolt for the Chicago Cubs.

Known for his fiery personality, Valentine clashed with Red Sox players and the media throughout the season. As early as April, he said fan favorite Kevin Youkilis wasn't "as physically or emotionally into the game as he has been in the past for some reason."

And as recently as Wednesday, Valentine accused some on his coaching staff of undermining him.

Despite entering with a star-studded roster and a payroll of over $146 million, the Red Sox were beset by injuries all season. David Ortiz, Jacoby Ellsbury, Carl Crawford and Andrew Bailey all missed significant portions of the season on the disabled list.

The Red Sox used 56 players in 2012, the most in club history.

"This year's won-loss record reflects a season of agony," Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said. "It begs for changes, some of which have already transpired. More will come. We are determined to fix that which is broken and return the Red Sox to the level of success we have experienced over the past decade.

"Difficult as it is to judge a manager amid a season that had an epidemic of injuries, we feel we need to make changes. Bobby leaves the Red Sox manager's office with our respect, gratitude, and affection. I have no doubt that he will continue to contribute to the game he loves so much and knows so well."

All League
    They should crawl to Francona on their knees

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    A. How is he "mentally"? Some strong rumours he had some personal "issues" towards the end of his last stint with the Sawx.

B. Would he do it again?

ANyway, watching the game last night..was like watching a ghost as Valentine stood mostly alone in that dugout.

Not a fan of his since forever, but that was strange.

-

Good. Another putz who believed his own press. Bobby V. was, is, and will always be a joke of a manager.

The only saving grace that he was hired by Boston, which imploded insanely around, or because of, him. LMFAO. Go Saux. LOL!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    A. How is he "mentally"? Some strong rumours he had some personal "issues" towards the end of his last stint with the Sawx.

B. Would he do it again?

ANyway, watching the game last night..was like watching a ghost as Valentine stood mostly alone in that dugout.

Not a fan of his since forever, but that was strange.

-
    He could rape the sox for as much money as he wanted. They screwed up. You don't fire a manger that won you two World Series after 86 years of crap. Even if he had an epic collapse.

Nobody in that situation is happier today than Bobby V. He is out of the **** show and he is going to get paid for another year. If they wanted to screw him for the lousy job he did and all the headaches he created, they should have made him wait until after the World Series before they fired him.

Jets Insider VIP
    He could rape the sox for as much money as he wanted. They screwed up. You don't fire a manger that won you two World Series after 86 years of crap. Even if he had an epic collapse.
    This, 100 times. Tito shouldve retired a Sawx manager. They deserved this monstrosity. It shows that last year's collapse was way more than Tito losing control.

I will always hate the Sawx, but you have to respect the accomplishments of their players and managers when they do well. Tito was a very good manager for that team.

All League
    There was a point during last night's game where the camera was locked on Pedroia & the analysts were thinking that they would pull Pedroia from the game. Maybe the 7th inning?
    Almost on cue, Valentine went up to Pedroia and told him he was out.
    I watched Pedroia's face, expecting him to roll his eyes or say something smart azzed under his breath as V walked away. Unfortunately, he didn't.

Gotta love a Sux mess!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Who are the Red Sox?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Who are the Red Sox?
    The only team to ever come back from being Down 0-3 in the playoffs of Major League Baseball........ EVER

All League
    The only team to ever come back from being Down 0-3 in the playoffs of Major League Baseball........ EVER
    Crap, forgot it was against the yanks.......

Sorry all

Quote Originally Posted by Al Woodall Rocks! View Post
    There was a point during last night's game where the camera was locked on Pedroia & the analysts were thinking that they would pull Pedroia from the game. Maybe the 7th inning?
    Almost on cue, Valentine went up to Pedroia and told him he was out.
    I watched Pedroia's face, expecting him to roll his eyes or say something smart azzed under his breath as V walked away. Unfortunately, he didn't. :
    Then what happened?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Then what happened?
    Pedroia walked up to Bobby V and punched him in the groin.
    I stopped watching after that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Then what happened?
    Beer and Popeye's in the clubhouse wasn't really a bad thing afterall.

Francona is a nice guy and a very good manager but his time had run its course in Boston. I don't blame the Sux for firing him even if he was really just a scapegoat for not having starting pitching depth.

Blowsox need to get a new manager who isn't a big name. Just some quiet guy who does his job and doesn't hog the limelight. They need to avoid drama and get back to playing ball.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    This, 100 times. Tito shouldve retired a Sawx manager. They deserved this monstrosity. It shows that last year's collapse was way more than Tito losing control.

I will always hate the Sawx, but you have to respect the accomplishments of their players and managers when they do well. Tito was a very good manager for that team.
    Big fan of Tito, despite the pain his team caused me.

His demise, however, if you do any in depth reading on it... seemed like the perfect storm of his own personal issues combined with dooshbag entitled athletes run amuck.

If he's 100%....by all means...put him back.

-

Hall Of Fame
    what's don zimmer doing ?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Big fan of Tito, despite the pain his team caused me.

His demise, however, if you do any in depth reading on it... seemed like the perfect storm of his own personal issues combined with dooshbag entitled athletes run amuck.

If he's 100%....by all means...put him back.

-
    I don't think the players were really the issue in Tito's dismissal. Yeah there were some dooshy personalities in the clubhouse (usually Beckett and Youk get mentioned in that discussion) but what team doesn't have some of that going on? Not too mention the dooshiness of 2011 probably didn't come close to some of the Manny years. I do think it's true that some of the bile from the horrific Epstein signings like Dice K and Crawford finally bubbled up into resentment in the clubhouse. (Epstein showed smarts if not a lot of guts by scramming town before these epic fails could seriously tarnish his boy genius reputation.)

But more significant, like you said, there were rumors of personal issues. There were also issues between him and the ownership/front office. I love the Sox but John Henry is one creepy SOB. FWIW, I go fishing with a guy who is the dad of one of the top five front office guys and he told me the decision to release Francona was made in August of that year, before the collapse began.

I'm a huge fan and was even before he came to the Sox. He's a really nice, smart, funny, charismatic guy. If he gets back into managing I'll root for him.

As far as Valentine getting the ax, while the season is far from all his fault, I never understood why they hired him in the first place. Valentine managing the Sox reminds me of that Three Stooges episode where the boys are at sea in a sinking lifeboat and Curly (Bobby) finds a hand drill in a tool box and starts drilling holes in the bottom of the boat "to let the water out." It's telling that having dismissed him, the arrogant Sox FO ***** make no suggestion that the hiring decision itself was a mistake.

I know you guys are suffering through the Jets disarray this year. I'd say the Sox disarray is as bad or worse. And for both teams it starts with poor leadership and bad decision making at the top of the organization.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 10-05-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Valentine managing the Sox reminds me of that Three Stooges episode where the boys are at sea in a sinking lifeboat and Curly (Bobby) finding a hand drill in a tool box and starts drilling holes in the bottom of the boat "to let the water out.".
    Lmao..perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    And for both teams I think it tarts with poor leadership and bad decision making at the top of the organization.

Btw...and I have to say this...because...you know...

Teh Jets are in first place.....beeeeotch!

-

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    what's don zimmer doing ?

He could hire Pedro as his pitching coach.