Thread: Moe Harkless

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Moe Harkless

St John's guy...anyone here see him play? just looking for some intel as a Magic fan.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Die hard St. John's fan here, season ticket holder. Moe is a guy who can be a pretty good player down the line, but has a ways to go. I heard he bulked up, which is great because for his height, he was a stick and would get eaten alive in the NBA. This can be viewed as good and bad though; as the centerpiece on a team that had no depth last year and had a 6-7 man rotation for most of the season he was the top player despite being so passive. However, there as a bunch of opportunities he left on the table. When he drives to the hoop and plays aggressive, its a sight to see. The problem is, he just didn't do it enough (hence the passiveness). When he was passive, his decision-making was off, and he stayed outside the paint and did not shoot well. I doubt his NBA ceiling is a perennial All-Star, but if he takes advantage of the talent he has and plays aggressive ball consistently he'll be a very good player to have.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by unchartedm0nkey View Post
    Die hard St. John's fan here, season ticket holder. Moe is a guy who can be a pretty good player down the line, but has a ways to go. I heard he bulked up, which is great because for his height, he was a stick and would get eaten alive in the NBA. This can be viewed as good and bad though; as the centerpiece on a team that had no depth last year and had a 6-7 man rotation for most of the season he was the top player despite being so passive. However, there as a bunch of opportunities he left on the table. When he drives to the hoop and plays aggressive, its a sight to see. The problem is, he just didn't do it enough (hence the passiveness). When he was passive, his decision-making was off, and he stayed outside the paint and did not shoot well. I doubt his NBA ceiling is a perennial All-Star, but if he takes advantage of the talent he has and plays aggressive ball consistently he'll be a very good player to have.
    thanks...was looking for something like this.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No problem. Let me also add that he had a few MONSTER games during the season, most notably against Duke. Something I forgot to mention in the earlier posting - the kid has heart. Even when he does play passive, you'll never question his desire to get it done. We had a game at DePaul last year where the team was down early, made a furious run right before halftime and missed a shot at the buzzer for the lead at that point. As the team walked to the lockerroom, despite the run they had just went on (and the fact it was only halftime) Moe was PISSED they weren't able to grab the lead, and it was just something that stuck out to Johnnies fans about him. Also, in the Duke game where he carried us until Duke pulled away late, he showed that same type of fire, real pissed off about losing despite that being the game that put him in the national spotlight.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reports out of Orlando have been very positive, he has been compared to Paul George in Indiana...which I'll gladly take. I guess the good thing is that all these young guys in Orlando will get plenty of burn.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    The reports out of Orlando have been very positive, he has been compared to Paul George in Indiana...which I'll gladly take. I guess the good thing is that all these young guys in Orlando will get plenty of burn.
    Yeah they certainly will. Honestly though him being in Orlando is a concern for me, because I'd assume as a first round pick on the team, now that Dwight's gone, he's going to be looked at to be the man right away and he's nowhere close to being that player and probably won't be for awhile, if ever. Loved his situation in Philly because he was really just depth there for now, but IDK I'd assume expectations for him will be higher in Orlando where he probably has the best combination of talent/youth on the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ehh still have hedo, reddick, afflalo, big baby, Ayon, Nelson, and probably some others ahead of him on the depth chart...I would be shocked if he was relied on for anything but depth primarily. I think the guy Orlando drafted from st bonaventure is also more ready...