Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you settle for a moral victory Monday night?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This game has BAL 2011 written all over it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    This game has BAL 2011 written all over it.
    OUCH! It really does....I hope for the best but realistically I see no way we pull this one out....

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    OUCH! It really does....I hope for the best but realistically I see no way we pull this one out....
    Disagree - that game was a train-wreck because of the loss of Mangold. I'm expecting a much better performance out of the O-Line.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL @ a moral victory in the NFL at home in week 5

I don't care what we look like as long as we win.......On the other hand, could care less if we get blown out or lose on a hail mary (Would piss me off more losing that way to be honest)

Too much parity in the NFL to play for moral victories......Anyone can beat anyone......a 2-2 team at home against a 4-0 team, Give me a damn win

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    We're playing against a team that will score close to 30 points.

How are we going to keep up on offense without Holmes, Keller and Hill and zero running game?

We wont score more then 10 points. 30-6 Houston!

There are no moral victories in this league as far as fans are concerned.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 10-04-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    LOL @ a moral victory in the NFL at home in week 5

I don't care what we look like as long as we win.......On the other hand, could care less if we get blown out or lose on a hail mary (Would piss me off more losing that way to be honest)

Too much parity in the NFL to play for moral victories......Anyone can beat anyone......a 2-2 team at home against a 4-0 team, Give me a damn win
    Exactly, moral victories in the NFL are non sense. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. No style points awarded.

Now if you are a Wofford fan playing Carolina, then you can root for a moral victory.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Exactly, moral victories in the NFL are non sense. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. No style points awarded.

Now if you are a fan of any college basketball team playing IU, then you can root for a moral victory.
    Fixed.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Disagree - that game was a train-wreck because of the loss of Mangold. I'm expecting a much better performance out of the O-Line.
    OK, this game has SF 2012 written all over it. Better?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surprised that so many people see no possibility of a moral victory.

This team is in turmoil (again) and there are endless questions about the future of this team in many positions, most importantly quarterback.

Are you all really saying that you all be equally pissed if the Jets lose 41-10 or, lose 41-35 with Sanchez throwing for 450 yards and 4 TDs? There's no difference in the two?

It is going to be a long road to get back to playoff contention if the Jets have to start over at QB. If Sanchez steps up big time against the best defense in the league with absolutely no one to throw to, then I'm definitely taking that as a positive from a game that we didn't expect to win coming into the season anyway.

I know Sanchez isn't throwing for 400 against this defense. But I would definitely "settle" for a loss in which he did.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Did the Giants losing 38-35 to the Packers last year help them get to the playoffs?
    No. Losses do not help towards making the playoff.

All their players said it was turning point of their season and last I checked, their season turned out pretty good.
    Talk (especially to the media) is cheap.

Losses are losses.

The real "turning point" is following a loss (any loss) with some win, preferably in chunks.

Any fan acting like my suggestion is crazy: Look at the Texans roster. Look at ours. You're seriously expecting win?
    What "suggestion" are you making exactly?

That a "moral victory", i.e. a close defeat, will.....what? Right the ship? be the cause of us making the playoffs like your Giants example (despite all the variables in play beng different)? That losing by 10 late is better than losing by 10 early or in a blowout? Better for whom, and in what way?

To answer the last line, no, I don't expect to win.
    Last edited by Warfish; 10-04-2012 at 03:12 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post

This team is in turmoil (again) and there are endless questions about the future of this team in many positions, most importantly quarterback.

Are you all really saying that you all be equally pissed if the Jets lose 41-10 or, lose 41-35 with Sanchez throwing for 450 yards and 4 TDs? There's no difference in the two?

It is going to be a long road to get back to playoff contention if the Jets have to start over at QB. If Sanchez steps up big time against the best defense in the league with absolutely no one to throw to, then I'm definitely taking that as a positive from a game that we didn't expect to win coming into the season anyway.

I know Sanchez isn't throwing for 400 against this defense. But I would definitely "settle" for a loss in which he did.
    Agree with this. If we came out of this game with Sanchez throwing for 400 yards and Powell running for 100 yards (slowly replacing Greene) , I could live with a last second loss.

Coming off last weeks peformance, i have readjusted my expectations for this team (for now). Our schedule gets pretty weak after this game and if we can show some signs of life, we may have some hope.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    EDGE: HOU or NYJ?

QB: HOU
    RB: HOU
    WR: HOU
    OL: HOU
    TE: HOU
    dont even wanna finish this....

You know what... is there anywhere where its a tie or NYJ edge?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

What "suggestion" are you making exactly?

That a "moral victory", i.e. a close defeat, will.....what? Right the ship? be the cause of us making the playoffs like your Giants example (despite all the variables in play beng different)? That losing by 10 late is better than losing by 10 early or in a blowout? Better for whom, and in what way?

To answer the last line, no, I don't expect to win.
    Yes, a good competitive game against the best team in football could erase a lot of negative feelings and springboard a playoff run. I don't think it's a crazy suggestion, the craziness only comes from the unlikelihood that this game will be competitive. The team that shares a stadium with us has twice in the past 5 years used a competitive loss against a great team to springboard a playoff run. If that isn't evidence enough of it (right before our eyes), I don't know what is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post

Last year this Texans D was tops over teams like the Steelers.
    We could do absolutely nothing vs the Steelers for 3 quarters, a Steelers team mind you that was missing the HAIR & HARRISON & we had Holmes & Hill.
    That stadium will be emptier than Shannon Sharps head mid 3rd quarter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My question is, would you be OK with a hard fought loss if the team played reasonably well?

I'm defining moral victory as it is a 1 possession game going into the 4th quarter. Even if that meant the Texans pulled away a little late and won by 10 or something.

I'd take it especially if Sanchez played pretty well. I realize that for him to play well, our lesser talented skill players would have to win their matchups against the more talented Texans defenders, which is not very likely. But still, I'd like to see him put up a decent game.
    I'm not driving 2 hrs and 45 mins each way (plus probably an hour or so traffic jam on the Thruway/ Route 17, as well fighting traffic to get out of the stadium) to get home at probably 4 in the morning to hope for a "moral victory." Yes, hopefully the team doesn't lay a total egg like it did last week, but a win is a win, and a loss is still a loss. Simple as that

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, a good competitive game against the best team in football could erase a lot of negative feelings and springboard a playoff run.
    You don't succeed in the NFL on good feelings.

You succeed with talent, coaching and on-field performence.

I don't think it's a crazy suggestion
    I'm sure you don't.

Same as the McElroy fans don't think starting HIM Monday is a "crazy suggestion" either.

And the "Sign TO, Plaxico and Trade for Edwards" fans don't think THAT is a "crazy suggestion" either.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

The team that shares a stadium with us.....
    I don't have time to waste on Fans Inferiority Complex re: the Giants.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I'm not saying necessarily fired but Sanchez could take the fall in the form of a benching. Woody looks to have an itchy trigger finger and if Tannenbaum/Rex think they're starting to get in danger they won't hesitate to go with the guy the owner seems to want (Tebow). JMHO.
    If this were to happen with this set of WRs and RBs then that would be proof positive of the Jets not having a true plan or a clue!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I pegged this game as a loss back in preseason. I didn't get how anyone had this in the win column back then. Now, it'll just be that much worse.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would I be happy, no

But, I can at least have pride in a team that fights hard and goes down in defeat

Getting blown out at home and being accused of quiting, thats not a team that I can be proud of

If they come out, look like a professional football team for gods sake, keep it within a score of two, then I can at least not be ashamed of them

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would you settle for a moral victory Monday night?
    Has it come to this?

Really?