Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Romney wants to get rid of PBS......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Not in depth while campaigning, but if there is no harm to our security I would imagine so.
    He won't make cuts to the military... The fact that he just said so in front of the biggest national audience he's had or will have before the election, I have to believe it...

Once the wars are ended, I'm not exactly opposed to it either...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowSubmarine View Post
    Obama smoked bin Laden.

Romney wants to smoke Big Bird.

Enough said.....
    No, it really isn't. The sad thing is, you're a typical Obama voter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    The argument is pretty simple: public broadcasting survives without having a bottom line driven goal, meaning you can provide programming that is meaningful and important but would not survive on standard TV (or would not survive in its current form). As a parent, one of the great things about Sesame Street is that it's presented commercial free - kids get educational programming without being bombarded by commercial messages and the short-burst (>2seconds/shot) production values that have been shown in some studies to negatively impact attention spans.

(I chose Sesame Street because without PBS, it would undoubtedly air on one of the networks - so it's not like it would be gone - but with regular commercial breaks. Other worthwhile shows, like the News Hour, would likely disappear entirely).

Now, I think the question of "ok, that's nice - but can we afford it" still has to be asked. But PBS definitely adds value.
    Same exact argument for not wanting charter schools. Exact!.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    FB wall last night and today was unreadable...

I'm close to deleting most of these folks but some I see every week... Thank God these eejits don't talk politics while we're out...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Odd since my kids watch NickJr and they also play the shows without commercials. Sesame Street is a multibillion dollar industry by the way. Regardless I believe the federal government gives PBS around 500 Million a year which is just a fraction of their operating budget. If the public wants it they can choose to donate to them. Personally I choose to contribute my charity dollar to charities involving children's issues, Make a wish, St Jude, etc but if people want to donate to tv stations then by all means they should.
    Nick Jr is a little different because it is not a separate entity from the other Nick networks (Nick, TeenNick, Nicktoons) all which bring in revenue. Also, Nick Jr is now airing commercials in the evening hours (10pm-2am).

Point being, it isn't the same thing.

My son is in love with Sesame Street. He gets 20 minutes a day, maybe 30 if it's raining.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post

now you know that isn't true

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    FB wall last night and today was unreadable...

I'm close to deleting most of these folks but some I see every week... Thank God these eejits don't talk politics while we're out...
    I felt the same way, about all of them, from the Big Bird pictures to the Romeny debating a chair pictures. This was a horrible FB day

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Interestingly, I stopped putting Sesame street on when I heard the Fugees singing "R" is for riot on one of the Elmo type specials.

I knew then, that lib panderism had infected the show.

-
    Liberal commie ideas, like saying please and thank you....asking questions....learning words...

and you just know Mr Noodle is pushing the Gay Agenda!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post

Liberal commie ideas, like saying please and thank you....asking questions....learning words...

and you just know Mr Noodle is pushing the Gay Agenda!
    Are you a parent? Is R...for Riot...on a childrens show?

Its not like I made it up.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you a parent? Is R...for Riot...on a childrens show?

Its not like I made it up.

-
    apparently I'm a parent....I was mostly joking around...

but there is more than one definition for "riot", and I mean, the Fugees? When was this? 1997?

I find it funny to see liberal indoctrination in Sesame Street....sue me

/don't really sue me

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    The argument is pretty simple: public broadcasting survives without having a bottom line driven goal, meaning you can provide programming that is meaningful and important but would not survive on standard TV (or would not survive in its current form). As a parent, one of the great things about Sesame Street is that it's presented commercial free - kids get educational programming without being bombarded by commercial messages and the short-burst (>2seconds/shot) production values that have been shown in some studies to negatively impact attention spans.

(I chose Sesame Street because without PBS, it would undoubtedly air on one of the networks - so it's not like it would be gone - but with regular commercial breaks. Other worthwhile shows, like the News Hour, would likely disappear entirely).

Now, I think the question of "ok, that's nice - but can we afford it" still has to be asked. But PBS definitely adds value.
    That is a wonderful thing to want.

But taxpayers do not owe it to you.

Sesame Street and other PBS Products could, and would, thrive on normal Television, broadcast or cable.

This argument reminds me of GM, and the "if GM goes bankrupt, we'll have no more Cars in America".

Nope. If PBS goes away, Sesame Street will be just fine. Same way GM would have been just fine as it went trhough bankruptcy and reorganization.

As for pBS stuff apart from Sesame Street (can anyone name a single other PBS program), we already have most of that stuff covered via State PBS (which would live on) and the various Science/Discovery/History type channels on cable/satellite.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I find it funny to see liberal indoctrination in Sesame Street....sue me

You find it funny, your head is in the sand. Slippery slope...bla bla bla.

How many childrens shows have screechy effeminate male characters nowadays? Alot.

Slippery slope.

I'm not laughing.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tweet from Neil Degrasse Tyson:

Cutting PBS support (0.012% of budget) to help balance the Federal budget is like deleting text files to make room on your 500Gig hard drive

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    Tweet from Neil Degrasse Tyson:

Cutting PBS support (0.012% of budget) to help balance the Federal budget is like deleting text files to make room on your 500Gig hard drive
    So ignore the debt?

Here's a guy who had the balls to lay out a sacred cow in front of the whole country when our leadership seems to be in "spend til we leave, how bad could it be" mode.

Its bad. Perhaps going after PBS put it in real terms for some folks.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on Romneys logic Shut down PBS and add the following to the list
    Shut down the Smithsonian
    Shut down Independence Hall
    Shut Down Ellis Island
    Shut Down the Washington Monument
    Shut Down Mt. Rushmore
    Shut Down Lake Mead National Park
    Shut Down Yellowstone Park, subdivide and sell it
    Shut Down Liberty Island
    Shut Down Camp David and Sell it to developers
    Shut Down Fords Theatre
    shut down the guard of the tomb of the Unknowns
    Extinguish the eternal flame at Kennedy''s grave (Gas is not cheap)
    Shut Down Mount Vernon
    Shut Down Jockey Hollow
    Shut Down Gettysburg National Park
    De-commission the USS Constitution (Its not needed and not equipped for modern military operations)
    Scrap the Intrepid

No more lavish events at the whitehouse If foreign dignitaries visit, its cheaper to order take out.

No More 24 Hour staff to cook meals, clean and do Romneys Laundry (He can cook his own meals, make his own bed and wash his own clothes)

No free food for the President. He gets a paycheck and can buy his own groceries.

If the President wants to use government owned cars for recreational activities, the cost of his gas should be deducted from his salary.
    Last edited by jetman67; 10-05-2012 at 12:41 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You find it funny, your head is in the sand. Slippery slope...bla bla bla.

How many childrens shows have screechy effeminate male characters nowadays? Alot.

Slippery slope.

I'm not laughing.

-

I should have said I find it funny people believe that there is liberal indoctrination in Sesame Street.

Although food has political implications now. So I shouldn't be surprised.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cut all funding for all news organizations MSNBC yes they received millions of dollars from the Obama team, PBS and any other. Make it or break it on your own!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    He won't make cuts to the military... The fact that he just said so in front of the biggest national audience he's had or will have before the election, I have to believe it...

Once the wars are ended, I'm not exactly opposed to it either...
    THAT is everything that is wrong with government. We need 17 bases in Japan?

Difficult to comvince me we cant cut defense by 10 percent at least. The waste ALONE is probably 15 percent.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So ignore the debt?

Here's a guy who had the balls to lay out a sacred cow in front of the whole country when our leadership seems to be in "spend til we leave, how bad could it be" mode.

Its bad. Perhaps going after PBS put it in real terms for some folks.

-
    how did you get "ignore the debt" from that?

NDT said cutting PBS will not do sh*t to cut the debt, so why act like PBS needs to be cut. It's .0012% of the budget... and easily one of the most informative channels on television.

Romney wants to increase military spending when it needs to be cut.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    Based on Romneys logic Shut down PBS and add the following to the list
    Shut down the Smithsonian
    Shut down Independence Hall
    Shut Down Ellis Island
    Shut Down the Washington Monument
    Shut Down Mt. Rushmore
    Shut Down Lake Mead National Park
    Shut Down Yellowstone Park, subdivide and sell it
    Shut Down Liberty Island
    Shut Down Camp David and Sell it to developers
    Shut Down Fords Theatre
    shut down the guard of the tomb of the Unknowns
    Extinguish the eternal flame at Kennedy''s grave (Gas is not cheap)
    Shut Down Mount Vernon
    Shut Down Jockey Hollow
    Shut Down Gettysburg National Park
    De-commission the USS Constitution (Its not needed and not equipped for modern military operations)
    Scrap the Intrepid

No more lavish events at the whitehouse If foreign dignitaries visit, its cheaper to order take out.

No More 24 Hour staff to cook meals, clean and do Romneys Laundry (He can cook his own meals, make his own bed and wash his own clothes)

No free food for the President. He gets a paycheck and can buy his own groceries.

If the President wants to use government owned cars for recreational activities, the cost of his gas should be deducted from his salary.
    If you keep posting Yale is gonna retract your debate scholarship. Just warning ya.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Slippery slope.

-
    And its a proven fact that watching screechy effeminate male characters will make you gay.

Everyones know that.

Paul Lynde on Hollywood Squares did it for me. True story.