Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Romney wants to get rid of PBS......

Romney wants to get rid of PBS......

Obama smoked bin Laden.

Romney wants to smoke Big Bird.

Enough said.....

I thought it was hilarious...

Romney wants to get rid of PBS......
    So do I.

Even more reason to vote for him...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

When they came for Grover...I said nothing.

When they came for Big Bird...I said nothing.

When they came for that annoying prick Oscar...I said nothing.

Now they are coming for me but there is no one left... to speak for me.

-

I have ~1,000 channels.

Why do I need to also pay for "Public" Broadcasting when there is no shartage of free-to-viewers, for-profit, broadcasting?

PBS (and NPR) may have had a place in the 50's. They do not in the 2000's.

I'd be interesting to hear what the specific arguments are for keeping taxpayer funded PBS/NPR today.

Also, many States have a State Version of PBS (like MPT, Maryland Publci Television) that at least addresses and covers local material you may not get via National TV/Radio options. If a State wants that, I support them doing so. I quite like MPT (of course I live in VA, lol).

Another great line in the debate. Romney says he will evaluate every discretionary spending program and ask the question if that program is worth borrowing money from China to support. When pressed for specifics he looks to Jim Leherer and says sorry Jim but the government portion of funding for PBS will likely be a goner.

By the way, to correct the OP, PBS TV does not exist solely on government funding. They have their own revenue sources. Federal Funding is a small portion. Sesame Street is a multibillion dollar industry all by itself. I wonder when the day will come when liberals understand that just because government doesn't pay for something doesn't mean that thing goes away. No one wants to get rid of PBS. It is simply not a wise allocation of taxpayer funds.

Furthermore whats the point of government financing a TV station? There are hundreds of channels to choose from. Plenty of educational children's programming to watch. For liberals their point of view is expressed on TV by NBC News, CBS News, CNN, and MSNBC. Does government really need to pay for another leftwing news operation?

Quote Originally Posted by YellowSubmarine View Post
    Obama smoked bin Laden.

Romney wants to smoke Big Bird.

Enough said.....
    If Big Bird is all you can take out of the debate as a positive for Obama.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Loving the response from the left on this today. Set aside the fact that Romney is 100% correct on this issue, the fact that liberals are harping on this as the one thing from the debate they want to talk about puts on full display their desperation in the face of an all-time debate drubbing. Lots of Big Bird photos today on facebook: appropriate considering the child-like thought process behind this.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Big bird takes it in the assss.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Loving the response from the left on this today. Set aside the fact that Romney is 100% correct on this issue, the fact that liberals are harping on this as the one thing from the debate they want to talk about puts on full display their desperation in the face of an all-time debate drubbing. Lots of Big Bird photos today on facebook: appropriate considering the child-like thought process behind this.
    I really thought it was going to be him saying "poor kids" tbqh...

Jets Insider VIP
    "The War on Muppets"

Can't make this stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I have ~1,000 channels.

Why do I need to also pay for "Public" Broadcasting when there is no shartage of free-to-viewers, for-profit, broadcasting?

PBS (and NPR) may have had a place in the 50's. They do not in the 2000's.

I'd be interesting to hear what the specific arguments are for keeping taxpayer funded PBS/NPR today.

Also, many States have a State Version of PBS (like MPT, Maryland Publci Television) that at least addresses and covers local material you may not get via National TV/Radio options. If a State wants that, I support them doing so. I quite like MPT (of course I live in VA, lol).
    The argument is pretty simple: public broadcasting survives without having a bottom line driven goal, meaning you can provide programming that is meaningful and important but would not survive on standard TV (or would not survive in its current form). As a parent, one of the great things about Sesame Street is that it's presented commercial free - kids get educational programming without being bombarded by commercial messages and the short-burst (>2seconds/shot) production values that have been shown in some studies to negatively impact attention spans.

(I chose Sesame Street because without PBS, it would undoubtedly air on one of the networks - so it's not like it would be gone - but with regular commercial breaks. Other worthwhile shows, like the News Hour, would likely disappear entirely).

Now, I think the question of "ok, that's nice - but can we afford it" still has to be asked. But PBS definitely adds value.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Now, I think the question of "ok, that's nice - but can we afford it" still has to be asked. But PBS definitely adds value.
    Not as much as it used to.

We live in an age where kids watch DVDs on 20 minute drives to grandma's house. Children's movies out the yingyang, pretty much on demand.

I wish kids watched less TV. When we were tykes we had PBS - and that's it. Forget cost - maybe the age of big budget (relatively speaking) public television has passed anyway. I don't know what PBS ratings are, but I'm sure they're atrocious.

The argument is pretty simple: public broadcasting survives without having a bottom line driven goal, meaning you can provide programming that is meaningful and important but would not survive on standard TV (or would not survive in its current form). As a parent, one of the great things about Sesame Street is that it's presented commercial free - kids get educational programming without being bombarded by commercial messages and the short-burst (>2seconds/shot) production values that have been shown in some studies to negatively impact attention spans.

(I chose Sesame Street because without PBS, it would undoubtedly air on one of the networks - so it's not like it would be gone - but with regular commercial breaks. Other worthwhile shows, like the News Hour, would likely disappear entirely).

Odd since my kids watch NickJr and they also play the shows without commercials. Sesame Street is a multibillion dollar industry by the way. Regardless I believe the federal government gives PBS around 500 Million a year which is just a fraction of their operating budget. If the public wants it they can choose to donate to them. Personally I choose to contribute my charity dollar to charities involving children's issues, Make a wish, St Jude, etc but if people want to donate to tv stations then by all means they should.

Big Bird, now the lead story on CNN....written by a Comedian.

Must Read Material, as it's so an example of what how our media operates and crafts certain messages to suit.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/04...ine/?hpt=hp_c1

What a waste of time.

Anyone care to guess the budget for PBS?

0.012% of budget

Can we PLEASE talk about Medicare and Social Security?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    What a waste of time.

Anyone care to guess the budget for PBS?

0.012% of budget

Can we PLEASE talk about Medicare and Social Security?
    That's exactly the point everything is on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    That's exactly the point everything is on the table.
    So we can expect Romney to talk about Military cuts?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    So we can expect Romney to talk about Military cuts?
    Not in depth while campaigning, but if there is no harm to our security I would imagine so.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

As a parent, one of the great things about Sesame Street is that it's presented commercial free - kids get educational programming without being bombarded by commercial messages and the short-burst (>2seconds/shot) production values that have been shown in some studies to negatively impact attention spans.

Interestingly, I stopped putting Sesame street on when I heard the Fugees singing "R" is for riot on one of the Elmo type specials.

I knew then, that lib panderism had infected the show.

-