Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Romney wants to get rid of PBS......

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    The argument is pretty simple: public broadcasting survives without having a bottom line driven goal, meaning you can provide programming that is meaningful and important but would not survive on standard TV (or would not survive in its current form). As a parent, one of the great things about Sesame Street is that it's presented commercial free - kids get educational programming without being bombarded by commercial messages and the short-burst (>2seconds/shot) production values that have been shown in some studies to negatively impact attention spans.

(I chose Sesame Street because without PBS, it would undoubtedly air on one of the networks - so it's not like it would be gone - but with regular commercial breaks. Other worthwhile shows, like the News Hour, would likely disappear entirely).

Now, I think the question of "ok, that's nice - but can we afford it" still has to be asked. But PBS definitely adds value.

Doggin, what sort of parent are you? Your children need to be exposed to Cheerios and other fine cereals and foods. Plus the latest in animated toys.
    Plus vacation commercials for Disney and other fine places. Their view of the world is being shortchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Same exact argument for not wanting charter schools. Exact!.....

Except there are other networks to choose to go to if I want to.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Except there are other networks to choose to go to if I want to.
    Unless you live in a rural area. Before you say get satellite TV, in rural areas, people dont make as much money as they do in more populated areas. Farmers, ranchers etc....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Here's a guy who had the balls to lay out a sacred cow in front of the whole country

-
    No he didn't, he pandered to the base by picking on a miniscule little item that they hate.

YEAH PBS IS THE PROBLEM!!!

Sacred cows are Military, Medicare and Social Security.

If he ever brings up defense I'll say he had some balls.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    No he didn't, he pandered to the base by picking on a miniscule little item that they hate.

You dont believe this, you'd like to believe it...its a nice pair of shoes.

If he ever brings up defense I'll say he had some balls.
    So you didn't watch the part of the debate where he said he would means test Medicare and SS so that the wealthy would receive less benefits? IYO How does means testing benefits fit in with the narrative of Romney looking out only for wealthy people?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    You dont believe this, you'd like to believe it...its a nice pair of shoes.

I dont think you really believe that. (Like most conservatives.)

Petulant.

I dont think you really believe that. (Like most conservatives.)

Petulant.
    Someone asked you a question: "So you didn't watch the part of the debate where he said he would means test Medicare and SS so that the wealthy would receive less benefits?"

I suppose you stopped watching by then. Viewing a trainwreck can be a ghastly affair.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Someone asked you a question: "So you didn't watch the part of the debate where he said he would means test Medicare and SS so that the wealthy would receive less benefits?"

I suppose you stopped watching by then. Viewing a trainwreck can be a ghastly affair.
    So sorry I didn't get to this within your time frame.

Its all one big LOZ..the TRULY wealthy don't give two rats asses about SS and Medicare. They don't need it. Its for us suckers who pay taxes.

You think the 1%ers lie in bed at night worrying about whether they'll get a SS check? They make more in a hour in interest.

Its all one big LOZ..the TRULY wealthy don't give two rats asses about SS and Medicare. They don't need it. Its for us suckers who pay taxes.

You think the 1%ers lie in bed at night worrying about whether they'll get a SS check? They make more in a hour in interest.
    Why then would you support giving them Medicare and Social Security benefits? I didn't hear any proposal from Obama on entitlements. Nothing. He said Social Security is fine it just needs some "tweaks".

In the Romney plan if someone is making a nice living in retirement their benefits are reduced or eliminated. This move alone helps the solvency of both programs. For medicare they add in a voucher option so that consumers can choose to stay with traditional Medicare or use a voucher to purchase a private plan. They said that the consumer would be guaranteed at least 2 plans to choose from that are below or equal to the voucher amount. The concept is that private companies will always offer a better deal then the government because thats how things generally work in the real world. Add in a 1-3 year increase in the benefits age and the problem is effectively solved.

Hall Of Fame
    When they came for Grover...I said nothing.

When they came for Big Bird...I said nothing.

When they came for that annoying prick Oscar...I said nothing.

Now they are coming for me but there is no one left... to speak for me.

-
    Its Kristallnacht. On teh Sesame St. oh noes.

Consider divesting yourself from the "us vs. them" mindset, it's not doing you any good. Unless you're union, of course.

If my livelihood depended on SEIU I'd resort to vandalism and intimidation too. Goodies borne of extortion are well worth fighting for.

Hall Of Fame

Just exposing himself for the walking, talking piece of sh*t he is.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Consider divesting yourself from the "us vs. them" mindset, it's not doing you any good. Unless you're union, of course.

If my livelihood depended on SEIU I'd resort to vandalism and intimidation too. Goodies borne of extortion are well worth fighting for.
    I'm not union, I started and still own my own company.

I'll stop when "they" stop trying to take every penny from "us."

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4632273]

In the Romney plan if someone is making a nice living in retirement their benefits are reduced or eliminated.[/lQUOTE]

Therefore, if I am successful in my life I don't get my benefits after paying in all my life?

why are we penalizing success?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=FF2;4632462]
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post

In the Romney plan if someone is making a nice living in retirement their benefits are reduced or eliminated.[/lQUOTE]

Therefore, if I am successful in my life I don't get my benefits after paying in all my life?

You bust your ass and build a business you should be rewarded not penalized. I guarantee if that ever comes to pass, I won't be telling them what my business makes.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Ha ha......you do realize you said that out loud, right?

You are....A REPUBLICAN!

An a one-ah an a two-ah an a three-uh

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
    O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
    And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
    Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
    Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
    What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
    As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
    Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
    In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
    'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
    That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
    A home and a country should leave us no more!
    Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
    Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
    Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
    Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

-

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowSubmarine View Post
    Obama smoked bin Laden.

Romney wants to smoke Big Bird.

Enough said.....
    Yeah!! He smoked him! All by himself! I imagine it looked a lot like this. Please. Obama is such a *****, its hillarious.

How 'bout giving credit whereits due...160th SOAR and Seal Team 6.

The argument is pretty simple: public broadcasting survives without having a bottom line driven goal, meaning you can provide programming that is meaningful and important but would not survive on standard TV (or would not survive in its current form). As a parent, one of the great things about Sesame Street is that it's presented commercial free - kids get educational programming without being bombarded by commercial messages and the short-burst (>2seconds/shot) production values that have been shown in some studies to negatively impact attention spans.

(I chose Sesame Street because without PBS, it would undoubtedly air on one of the networks - so it's not like it would be gone - but with regular commercial breaks. Other worthwhile shows, like the News Hour, would likely disappear entirely).

Now, I think the question of "ok, that's nice - but can we afford it" still has to be asked. But PBS definitely adds value.
    This off the cuff comment about PBS/Big Bird could potential do Romney in. It once again shows how disconnected the Republican party is from middle class people. Public funded broadcasts in general is an unbiased look at any issue because there is no private funding agendas. You said it yourself in your post Doggin, you chose this for your kids to protect them, and Other worthwhile shows, like the News Hour, would likely disappear entirely. This is what "big business" does when it gets involved in politics presently, takes away choice pushing it own agenda. Factor in the numbers that PBS costs to run and it becomes laughable. It was Nightly News (abc) that stated that to run PBS it is .012 of the budget yearly. Its what the Pentagon spends every 4 hours!
    Last edited by copernicus; 10-06-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    This off the cuff comment about PBS/Big Bird could potential do Romney in.
    Overconfidence from the Jets game may cost the Niners the postseason.

For all I know you could be following up your first sentence with clear cut directions to a pot of gold and the formula to cold fusion - but I ain't gonna read it.