Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quarterback please

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Quarterback please

Whatever it takes!
    Pick a damn QB 1st round each & every year now with the change in the CBA.
    Do it until you know you found one. The way Goodell has changed this game you just can't consistantly have a winning team until you get a QB.
    Because it just does not matter if you do not have a top QB.
    The 49ers are the exception to that rule but we'll see what happens when the playoffs start & they get matched up vs a top QB.
    That's why people biatching about trading Revis must be on drugs.
    A Corner in this day & age is NOT going to win you a Superbowl. Just go back to the AFCG in Pittsburgh, what could Revis really do to stop the Steelers from running the ball up our azzes?
    How about the AFCCG in Indy in 2009?
    Any good QB can avoid Revis, Payton just smoked all the other corners/nickels & safeties.
    It's all about the QB if you want to win a Superbowl & isn't that what we all want?
    Brady, Rogers, Manning, Manning, Brees, just look at the last decade of football. I actually like Mark Sanchez, I think he's a nice kid but 1st & foremost you still have to be able to throw a simple swing pass in this league & drop it right into the RBs hands, he can't even do that!
    And Rex still backs him, stated he's still his guy, he's a good QB, no he's not! That is a basic requisite for a QB, being able to make the simple throws.
    I watch Redzone every week & there are 2nd year & Rookie QBs making easy throws look, well, easy.
    Look at Dalton in Cincy, Ponder in Minny, & on & on.
    Tannehill threw for 419 yards on the road to beat the Cards who a week earlier stymied Tom Brady!
    419 yards! to Brian Hartline & Devon Bess! Sanchez will NEVER throw for 419 yards, unless it's accompanied with 4 interceptions & 2 fumbles.
    This is not rocket science, stop lying to the STHs be upfront & say, it's time to rebuild but we will do EVERYTHING IN OUR POWER to get a QB in here to start a new chapter in NY Jet history.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rules of today's game really make the old smashmouth defensive football a relic, and it's almost downright silly to try and win in that fashion these days. Putting points on the board is paramount. Having a great defense is certainly helpful but offense is first.

Think about it, 2 of the most critical methods for defenses to shut down an offense have been eliminated. Hit the QB and punish the WR's. Gone. Add in that CB's can't barely touch the WR's adn voila, suddenly you have a league that rewards the aerial assault. What good is a smashmouth defense when you can't play smashmouth defense?

We need to move on. We need a QB that can lead the team and has the potential to be elite or at least close to it. Look at who wins SB's...Brady, Brees, Rodgers, P Manning, E Manning, Roethlisberger..... As nice a team SF has this year I can almost guarantee they will not win the SB because Alex Smith is their QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the league is turning into a pass happy league and that is why you want to get rid of Revis? Doesn't make much sense to me.

If we could have traded Revis for Aaron Rodgers or a similarly talented QB, we would all be on board. But its not like having Revis is keeping us from getting a stud QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    So the league is turning into a pass happy league and that is why you want to get rid of Revis? Doesn't make much sense to me.

If we could have traded Revis for Aaron Rodgers or a similarly talented QB, we would all be on board. But its not like having Revis is keeping us from getting a stud QB.
    Keeping Revis will be paying him a huge % of the teams salary cap while we are rebuilding which makes absolutety NO SENSE.
    Revis will fetch a #1 & a very good player. Take Dallas for instance, would Jerry Jones trade his #1 & a player like Sean Lee? He just might.
    Your not keeping Revis for 4 more years, he won't even sign a deal like that now.
    He's going to be a 2fer going forward wanted his deals voidable after 2 years.
    Say we traded Revis for a #1 & a very good player
    Who's to say we couldnt trade Sanchez to the Raiders or maybe the Chiefs (Both places he could start over & would not have the same pressure he's been under in NY)

How about Holmes?
    There are always teams that are a player away from trying to get to a Superbowl.
    Next year we can dump Scott/Pace/Thomas/ Smith/Slausen/ even Moore
    We could have something that looks like this:
    2- #1s
    2- #2s
    2- #3s
    Then you do what Belichick always does, you just wait to trade with someone that just has to get that guy & gives you more picks in 2014.
    That's how you build a team!
    You could go with McElroy in 2013 & hopefully with the 1st #1 pick you got another QB prospect to groom behind one of the SMARTEST guys on the team.
    Bandaids just don't work & the problem you have is guys sacrificing whats best for the team to save their damn jobs!
    Bold moves need to be made while we have the chance.
    Find a QB & build a team thru the draft while Brady ages & gets close to retiring.
    The Bills are strapped with Fitzy & the Fins are going no where as long as Jeff Ireland & that ownership is there.
    Woody will be nothing more than Leon Hess II if he doesn't get smart RIGHT NOW and blow this thing up & get a new ballsy GM in here to start the process.
    Other than Mangold there is NO veteran not expendable on this roster including Revis.
    Last edited by jetster; 10-04-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

No, but the amount of cap money invested in Revis (amongst other defensive players who barely, or don't carry their weight), is preventing us from signing or keeping strong offensive talent. Even the best QBs need decent receiving targets/linemen to help them get the job done. There's a reason you don't see us pursuing the Vincent Jacksons or Eric Winstons in free agency, we can't afford to have lots of premier defensive talent AND premier offensive talent, the cap just won't allow it. Furthermore, let's say we do land an awesome QB (wishful thinking). Eventually, he's going to get expensive. I'd rather have an awesome QB than an awesome CB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

What good is having a stud CB when the rest of the team stinks? Look, next year this is the reality in needs:

QB-Obvious

RB-Obvious

3 starting LB's-Pace, Scott, and Thomas will all be gone. Davis can't replace them all (can he replace any?).

both Safety's-Landry and Bell are both on 1 year contract.

]WR-we need to upgrade here. Do we even retain Holmes, not sure of the logistics financially? But we definitely need some talent.

OL-Howard has been decnt at best, Slauson and Ducasse leave alot to be desired, and Moore isn't getting younger. This unit could use an upgrade.

When you look at all that AND consider we have a huge nut that we're going to need to pay to Revis, how do you not at least consider it? I hate the idea, I admit it. But when a team has so many needs you don't begin rebuilding with the highest paid CB in the league. A 1st round pick for him could net us a franchise QB and RB in one draft if handled competently (and by competently I mean NOT Tannenbaum). I'm not saying unequivocally we trade Revis, I'm just saying it's not a terribly bad idea.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, change is right around the corner. 2-14 is right in front of us and so is the #1 pick in the draft to get the qb we need. If there ever was a year to tank, its this one. Its the perfect opportunity. We have 0 talent on the offensive side of the ball. i dont want 4 or 5 wins and the 10th pick in the draft. Thats why the dolphins suffered for so long. thats no mans land.

Tank the season now and tank it the right way. Lose and and our dreams of a franchise qb could come true. The #1 pick is all it takes. Lose lose lose.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannehill threw for 419 yards on the road to beat the Cards who a week earlier stymied Tom Brady!
    419 yards! to Brian Hartline & Devon Bess! Sanchez will NEVER throw for 419 yards, unless it's accompanied with 4 interceptions & 2 fumbles.
    This is not rocket science, stop lying to the STHs be upfront & say, it's time to rebuild but we will do EVERYTHING IN OUR POWER to get a QB in here to start a new chapter in NY Jet history.
    The dolphins lost that game. Matt Cassel once threw for 400 yards should we trade for him?

I understand frustration but over estimating other QBs while under estimating our QB won't make anything better.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't matter if you pick a QB in every round of the draft every year. You have to develop players. Aaron Rodgers would be Mark Sanchez if he was drafted by the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron Rodgers would be Mark Sanchez if he was drafted by the Jets.
    Not entirely true. Rex and company, yes you are correct. But if we bring in Jay Gruden to be the head coach, then we have someone who knows how to develop a qb. Jets 2012 season = 2-14 = Jay Gruden + Geno Smith = Hope.

Tell me what you would rather have?

a 5 win season this year and Rex and Sachez back

or

A 2-14 season, the 1st pick in the 2013 draft. Geno Smith as the pick with Head Coach Jay Gruden grooming him like he did andy dalton.

Its a no brainer.

honestly, i have a better plan then anyone in the jets organization.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting rid of an elite player is almost always a bad idea, unless you're getting an unbelievable return in the deal. Talent wins. Don't give it away.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    What good is having a stud CB when the rest of the team stinks? Look, next year this is the reality in needs:

QB-Obvious

RB-Obvious

3 starting LB's-Pace, Scott, and Thomas will all be gone. Davis can't replace them all (can he replace any?).

both Safety's-Landry and Bell are both on 1 year contract.

]WR-we need to upgrade here. Do we even retain Holmes, not sure of the logistics financially? But we definitely need some talent.

OL-Howard has been decnt at best, Slauson and Ducasse leave alot to be desired, and Moore isn't getting younger. This unit could use an upgrade.

When you look at all that AND consider we have a huge nut that we're going to need to pay to Revis, how do you not at least consider it? I hate the idea, I admit it. But when a team has so many needs you don't begin rebuilding with the highest paid CB in the league. A 1st round pick for him could net us a franchise QB and RB in one draft if handled competently (and by competently I mean NOT Tannenbaum). I'm not saying unequivocally we trade Revis, I'm just saying it's not a terribly bad idea.
    Good post
    My feelings exactly.
    Hill will be a better player with another year & Kerley is a keeper in the slot.
    Trading Revis not only will garner the Jets a #1 & a player but it will also free up cap space to shore up the Oline with a free agent or two.
    You would have Harris & Davis & be able to add another via FA
    Really, Revis contract is like 6 players.
    I think Bilal will become a Kevin Faulk type in the right offense, he blocks well, catches the ball well & will only get better as the year progresses. (He played vs some tough Ds in Pitt & the 49ers)
    So, in the draft we obviously need a QB first, groom him behind McElroy, running back & BAP at LB, S, corner.
    I would be so happy if this was the path we take but unfortunately like I said Woody isn't very smart & Rex & Tanny will do whatever they have to do to save their own azzes.
    But, it's always fun to be a dreamer.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post
    The dolphins lost that game. Matt Cassel once threw for 400 yards should we trade for him?

I understand frustration but over estimating other QBs while under estimating our QB won't make anything better.
    You let me know when Mark throws for 419 yards. This is his 4th year you know, that was Tannehills 4th game after being a WR before he became a QB, lol!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Not entirely true. Rex and company, yes you are correct. But if we bring in Jay Gruden to be the head coach, then we have someone who knows how to develop a qb. Jets 2012 season = 2-14 = Jay Gruden + Geno Smith = Hope.

or

A 2-14 season, the 1st pick in the 2013 draft. Geno Smith as the pick with Head Coach Jay Gruden grooming him like he did andy dalton.

Its a no brainer.

How would you feel if Rex came back and Tanny is tossed for a GM that has the gumption to not just be a clone of the HC's mindset? I think Rex with a great GM could really be something, not ready to toss in the towel on him quite yet. Since you and I rarely see eye to eye on anything, if you don't see this as ludicrous... it must not be lol

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
    It doesn't matter if you pick a QB in every round of the draft every year. You have to develop players. Aaron Rodgers would be Mark Sanchez if he was drafted by the Jets.
    Ok lets not get ridiculous here!
    The 1st time Aaron rolled to his right & threw a 40 yard dart on the run you'd be running out to get his jersey. Like they say on Monday Night Countdown C'mon Man!
    Last edited by jetster; 10-04-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

or

Its a no brainer.

I'm sure your Madden franchise went 19-0 but this is the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    How would you feel if Rex came back and Tanny is tossed for a GM that has the gumption to not just be a clone of the HC's mindset? I think Rex with a great GM could really be something, not ready to toss in the towel on him quite yet. Since you and I rarely see eye to eye on anything, if you don't see this as ludicrous... it must not be lol
    Rex is tied to Tanny & Sanchez
    You do not keep anyone!
    That's the problem with the Jets!
    Demote Bradway but KEEP HIM
    Fire Mangini but KEEP SHODDY
    It doesn't work! Strength from the top is how it's done
    Pats
    Steelers
    Ravens
    Packers
    All have strong GMs & personnel departments

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Keeping Revis will be paying him a huge % of the teams salary cap while we are rebuilding which makes absolutety NO SENSE.
    Revis will fetch a #1 & a very good player. Take Dallas for instance, would Jerry Jones trade his #1 & a player like Sean Lee? He just might.
    Your not keeping Revis for 4 more years, he won't even sign a deal like that now.
    He's going to be a 2fer going forward wanted his deals voidable after 2 years.
    Say we traded Revis for a #1 & a very good player
    Who's to say we couldnt trade Sanchez to the Raiders or maybe the Chiefs (Both places he could start over & would not have the same pressure he's been under in NY)

How about Holmes?
    There are always teams that are a player away from trying to get to a Superbowl.
    Next year we can dump Scott/Pace/Thomas/ Smith/Slausen/ even Moore
    We could have something that looks like this:
    2- #1s
    2- #2s
    2- #3s
    Then you do what Belichick always does, you just wait to trade with someone that just has to get that guy & gives you more picks in 2014.
    That's how you build a team!
    You could go with McElroy in 2013 & hopefully with the 1st #1 pick you got another QB prospect to groom behind one of the SMARTEST guys on the team.
    Bandaids just don't work & the problem you have is guys sacrificing whats best for the team to save their damn jobs!
    Bold moves need to be made while we have the chance.
    Find a QB & build a team thru the draft while Brady ages & gets close to retiring.
    The Bills are strapped with Fitzy & the Fins are going no where as long as Jeff Ireland & that ownership is there.
    Woody will be nothing more than Leon Hess II if he doesn't get smart RIGHT NOW and blow this thing up & get a new ballsy GM in here to start the process.
    Other than Mangold there is NO veteran not expendable on this roster including Revis.
    You make some valid points except that Revis will NOT fetch you a good player and a 1st in trade until he proves himself the same player on the field. The jets might have pulled off that trade pre-injury, but never now. And even if he does come back strong from the injury, most teams wouldn't pay that kind of price knowing he'll be a FA at the end of the year. Of course, worst case is he's never the same player again, but even this rival fan hopes that's not the case.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post
    I'm sure your Madden franchise went 19-0 but this is the NFL.
    Stop with the rocket science theories, my god this is football!
    With all the information out there I'm sure there are many Jet fans with BAs that could do what Tannenbaum does.
    My God, hire a contract guy & start building
    This is what cracks me up about football fans
    "Oh yea, think you can do better than Tannenbaum?"
    Maybe!
    Just read these boards & look at the offseason and some of the bright posters & what they had to say about this upcoming season.
    "We need a RT, Hunter is garbage"
    "I can't believe we didn't get rid of Holmes,the guys a cancer"
    "Dbrick can't run block"
    "Greene would not start on most teams in this league"
    " Is Harris worth 9 million dollars? Really?"

All the above are quotes I've seen on this board. All of them completely true.
    We gave Hunter a guaranteed contract! After last years debocle!
    We made Santonio Holmes one of the highest paid receivers in football & made him a team captain!
    We REUPPED with Sanchez even though he lost his last 3 games in spectacularly bad fashion!
    I mean REALLY, it's not rocket science. Fans are not that stupid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    You make some valid points except that Revis will NOT fetch you a good player and a 1st in trade until he proves himself the same player on the field. The jets might have pulled off that trade pre-injury, but never now. And even if he does come back strong from the injury, most teams wouldn't pay that kind of price knowing he'll be a FA at the end of the year. Of course, worst case is he's never the same player again, but even this rival fan hopes that's not the case.
    I think your wrong, he'll come back strong thats his nature & his playing style is a mix of strength & smarts.
    Look around at the trades that have gone down in this league & Revis for a #1 & a player to a team on the verge of winning a Superbowl is a no brainer.

The raiders traded 2 #1s for Carson Palmer!
    I think a #1 & a player for the #1 defensive player at his position & maybe the best all around corner ever would be a move that a Jerry Jones would make anyday of the week to fire up his fan base!
    Last edited by jetster; 10-04-2012 at 05:05 PM.