Thread: Chris Matthews is still angry about Obama’s debate performance

Chris Matthews is still angry about Obama’s debate performance

By Dylan Stableford,

"Where was Obama tonight?" Minutes after Wednesday's presidential debate ended, MSNBC host Chris Matthews unloaded on President Barack Obama's lackluster performance.

Thursday morning, he was still fired up.

"The way the president handled it was just not up to the task," Matthews, still in Denver where the debate was held, said in a remote interview on the "Today" show. "Romney was able to talk about things like funding for PBS and never had to explain his position supporting bankruptcy for the American auto industry. Obama rescued the American auto industry, our largest industrial industry, [and] it never came up."

Right after the debate Wednesday night Matthews, anchoring the cable network's coverage from Denver, had said, "I don't know what he was doing out there. He had his head down, he was enduring the debate rather than fighting it. I don't know how he let Romney get away with the crap he threw out tonight."

"Where was Obama tonight?" he steamed.

In his assessment on the "Today" show, The "Hardball" host also noted that Obama had many opportunities to hit Romney hard, but failed to do so.

"The 47 percent—he let Romney come out there as a guy who cared about people and social security," Matthews said. "[Romney's] on the record with his fundraisers where you pay $50,000 to hear what he really thinks. He said these people were all moochers and bums.

"On health care, four or five times [Obama] slipped away," an exasperated Matthews continued. "How did the president let him get away with point after point after point?"

Like plenty of other pundits, Matthews also blamed moderator Jim Lehrer for allowing Romney to wrangle control of the debate.

"I think [Obama] had to be both the moderator and the fact-checker," Matthews said. "He could've done it like a gentleman. I thought Romney was excellent with his civility, [his] respect for the office of the presidency. I think the president could have done the same thing and sliced through all the claims by Romney."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/m...-election.html

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowSubmarine View Post

By Dylan Stableford,

"Where was Obama tonight?" Minutes after Wednesday's presidential debate ended, MSNBC host Chris Matthews unloaded on President Barack Obama's lackluster performance.

Thursday morning, he was still fired up.

"The way the president handled it was just not up to the task," Matthews, still in Denver where the debate was held, said in a remote interview on the "Today" show. "Romney was able to talk about things like funding for PBS and never had to explain his position supporting bankruptcy for the American auto industry. Obama rescued the American auto industry, our largest industrial industry, [and] it never came up."

Right after the debate Wednesday night Matthews, anchoring the cable network's coverage from Denver, had said, "I don't know what he was doing out there. He had his head down, he was enduring the debate rather than fighting it. I don't know how he let Romney get away with the crap he threw out tonight."

"Where was Obama tonight?" he steamed.

In his assessment on the "Today" show, The "Hardball" host also noted that Obama had many opportunities to hit Romney hard, but failed to do so.

"The 47 percent—he let Romney come out there as a guy who cared about people and social security," Matthews said. "[Romney's] on the record with his fundraisers where you pay $50,000 to hear what he really thinks. He said these people were all moochers and bums.

"On health care, four or five times [Obama] slipped away," an exasperated Matthews continued. "How did the president let him get away with point after point after point?"

Like plenty of other pundits, Matthews also blamed moderator Jim Lehrer for allowing Romney to wrangle control of the debate.

"I think [Obama] had to be both the moderator and the fact-checker," Matthews said. "He could've done it like a gentleman. I thought Romney was excellent with his civility, [his] respect for the office of the presidency. I think the president could have done the same thing and sliced through all the claims by Romney."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/m...-election.html
    Very simple explanations.

1. The auto industry is still in shambles. They took the money and continue to develop inferior products. They did "save" the industry, but they did not fix it. All they did was buy time.

2. The 47% is the TRUTH. Romney said nothing wrong. No matter what the media tries to make it out to be. He also didn't bring it up b.c he would have been subject to a rebuttal from Romney. Obama has had his fair share of "gaffes". Despite what the media makes them out to be this would have been a wash.

3. Obamacare is unpopular. Obama did not want to discuss it or defend it. Romneycare actually worked in Massachusetts. There was not much to be gained by dragging the audience through the minutia.

4. Despite how the media tries to spin it, Bain Capital is a POSITIVE for Romney. He saved companies. And the companies that did go overseas would have either gone out of business or gone overseas anyway. That is not Romney's fault. Obama knows it. Bain is just a weak talking point that was created by the media.

5. Obama didn't bring up the tax returns b.c Obama has refused to divulge some information as well. It would have been a wash.

6. Anybody who knocks Jim Lehrer is a sore loser. Obama was +4. He did nothing with it. Romney did more with less time. Lehrer let them go at it. He did not protect either candidate. Obama is used to being protected.

Bottom line is the media has actually prepared Romney for these debates by grilling him for the past year. Obama has been in a cocoon and it shows.

What Matthews fails to mention is his networks liberal advocacy takes place in a cocoon as well. They don't bring in pundits to argue counterpoints. Obama was called out on the lies he has been spewing regarding Romney's plans and he had no answers. Take the claim that Romney wants to reduce taxes for millionaires and raise them for middle class workers. That is something that the Obama campaign simply made up. They use a target number put out by the Romney campaign for revenue neutral tax code reform and make up wild assumptions. Then they repeat it over and over again until they actually appeared to believe their own garbage. In the debate even after Romney corrected the false narrative Obama went right back to the talking point. It was wild.

There were a few incredible moments. One of my favorites was when discussing which tax loopholes to close. Obama tried to hit Romney on oil industry tax breaks. Romney dismisses it saying the 3 billion in tax breaks for oil exploration would likely be gone once corporate tax reform is instituted. Then he turned it on Obama calling him out on the 90 Billion in green energy incentives Obama approves more then half of which went to companies that are now bankrupt. It was a crushing moment and Obama had no answer for it.

Jets Insider VIP
    "Watching MSNBC discuss the debate is like watching the Titanic discuss the iceberg."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Very simple explanations.

1. The auto industry is still in shambles. They took the money and continue to develop inferior products. They did "save" the industry, but they did not fix it. All they did was buy time.

2. The 47% is the TRUTH. Romney said nothing wrong. No matter what the media tries to make it out to be. He also didn't bring it up b.c he would have been subject to a rebuttal from Romney. Obama has had his fair share of "gaffes". Despite what the media makes them out to be this would have been a wash.

3. Obamacare is unpopular. Obama did not want to discuss it or defend it. Romneycare actually worked in Massachusetts. There was not much to be gained by dragging the audience through the minutia.

4. Despite how the media tries to spin it, Bain Capital is a POSITIVE for Romney. He saved companies. And the companies that did go overseas would have either gone out of business or gone overseas anyway. That is not Romney's fault. Obama knows it. Bain is just a weak talking point that was created by the media.

5. Obama didn't bring up the tax returns b.c Obama has refused to divulge some information as well. It would have been a wash.

6. Anybody who knocks Jim Lehrer is a sore loser. Obama was +4. He did nothing with it. Romney did more with less time. Lehrer let them go at it. He did not protect either candidate. Obama is used to being protected.

Bottom line is the media has actually prepared Romney for these debates by grilling him for the past year. Obama has been in a cocoon and it shows
    Perfect.

You gotta love the whining by Matthews as a member of the liberal media that are attack dogs for Obama...the irony is laughable.

-

Wall Street Journal this morning article showed the swing state D+8 polls were already narrowing. Even before the debate.

Jets Insider VIP
    Mitt Romney won the debate because he turned himself back into the moderate politician he actually is...not the Republican Republican's are stupid enough to think he is.

I still stand by my vote. I will be voting for Mitt Romney. Because a Romney presidency will spell the end of the social-conservative idiocy that has dominated the GOP for the past 20+ years.

In fact...EVERYONE should encourage people to vote for Mitt. Mitt is Obama Lite.

LOLing at people that are nailing their own coffins shut. A decade ago you voted for a man who claimed to be fiscally conservative and proved to be the EXACT opposite.

Vote for Mitt.

Do it.

...a Massachusetts moderate who supports some regulations and doesn’t want to cut taxes for the rich...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x0MbVYVE2A

Reeeeeal men of genius.