Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Rex's Pride Will Be His Downfall (Somewhat long read)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex's Pride Will Be His Downfall (Somewhat long read)

I still have hope that Rex can turn into a great HC. He took over a team with a defense ranked near dead last and turned it into a number 1 overnight.

Yes, he has made many mistakes, but what new HC hasn't? I also believe that he genuinely puts in effort to correct the mistakes he has made in the past (not too much blustering this year, sending players to leadership camp, etc.)

With that being said, if he doesn't turn things around it will be due to ONE thing, his pride.

Rex genuinely believes that his Defense will be the best defense in the NFL regardless of if it is true or not. This leads to two things:

1) He becomes too attached to his defensive players and is blinded to, or tries to cover up, their weaknesses instead of looking for better alternatives.
    2) He commits egregious errors in evaluating offensive personnel.

The first point is easy to understand and has been discussed multiple times so I will leave that be. What is really important is point 2 regarding the offense. Here are 3 major moves he has been a part of since becoming HC:

1) Santonio Holmes - When we first acquired Holmes, Rex was giddy with excitement. Why? Because, as Rex mentioned multiple times to the media, Holmes was a "Raven Killer". In other words, he routinely bested Ryan's defense. How he performed against the rest of the league or how he acted in the locker room was of no concern. All that mattered was that Santonio could score on his precious defense.

2) Tony Sparano - The Jets are 2-4 against Miami since Rex has become HC. Again, it doesn't matter what Sparano did against the rest of the league. It doesn't matter that Miami is a division rival game and therefore almost always guaranteed to be close no matter what the talent level is on either side. It didn't even matter that Sparano had little to no experience calling plays. All that matters is Tony and the Dolphins could score on his vaunted D.

3) Tim Tebow - Need I say more? Tim Tebow beat the New York Jets because he found an edge and outran our cement-shoed safety, Eric Smith. The pick 6 by Sanchez also played a pretty big role in that loss. But why let facts get in the way? It is obvious that it was no fault of Rex's elite defense but rather Tim Tebow's superhuman ability which led to the Jets demise. Just think, if Tebow could do what he did to the Jets, imagine what he could do to the rest of the NFL with their piss poor non-Ryan defenses?

I would like to see Rex back next year with a new GM in tow. Yes GM's like to hand pick their coaches but I don't think it will be hard to find someone who would be willing to give him a final proving year to see what he can get done with a new opinion making personnel decisions. We are talking about a man who in his first 2 years took the Jets to within a few points of the Super Bowl TWICE. In two years he changed the expectations of the franchise from league laughingstock to an 8-8 season being a major disappointment.

However, if he does not fix his issue of pride regarding his defense, he surely will not remain a head coach for very long.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well see how he does after a 3-13 season.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent post. I, like many fans, am frustrated by what we are seeing in our team. We are 2-2 with losses to the Steelers and 49ers. We got manhandled in those losses, but at this point, on this day, we are still 2-2. We have a lot to improve upon and I am hopeful that we can still have a successful year based on what we are now. A team without its two best players. If we win 7-8 games, it sucks, no playoffs, mid round 1 pick whatever. We do need to get better at evaluating our talent and bringing in true leaders.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    I still have hope that Rex can turn into a great HC. He took over a team with a defense ranked near dead last and turned it into a number 1 overnight.

Yes, he has made many mistakes, but what new HC hasn't? I also believe that he genuinely puts in effort to correct the mistakes he has made in the past (not too much blustering this year, sending players to leadership camp, etc.)

With that being said, if he doesn't turn things around it will be due to ONE thing, his pride.

Rex genuinely believes that his Defense will be the best defense in the NFL regardless of if it is true or not. This leads to two things:

1) He becomes too attached to his defensive players and is blinded to, or tries to cover up, their weaknesses instead of looking for better alternatives.

The first point is easy to understand and has been discussed multiple times so I will leave that be. What is really important is point 2 regarding the offense. Here are 3 major moves he has been a part of since becoming HC:

1) Santonio Holmes - When we first acquired Holmes, Rex was giddy with excitement. Why? Because, as Rex mentioned multiple times to the media, Holmes was a "Raven Killer". In other words, he routinely bested Ryan's defense. How he performed against the rest of the league or how he acted in the locker room was of no concern. All that mattered was that Santonio could score on his precious defense.

2) Tony Sparano - The Jets are 2-4 against Miami since Rex has become HC. Again, it doesn't matter what Sparano did against the rest of the league. It doesn't matter that Miami is a division rival game and therefore almost always guaranteed to be close no matter what the talent level is on either side. It didn't even matter that Sparano had little to no experience calling plays. All that matters is Tony and the Dolphins could score on his vaunted D.

3) Tim Tebow - Need I say more? Tim Tebow beat the New York Jets because he found an edge and outran our cement-shoed safety, Eric Smith. The pick 6 by Sanchez also played a pretty big role in that loss. But why let facts get in the way? It is obvious that it was no fault of Rex's elite defense but rather Tim Tebow's superhuman ability which led to the Jets demise. Just think, if Tebow could do what he did to the Jets, imagine what he could do to the rest of the NFL with their piss poor non-Ryan defenses?

I would like to see Rex back next year with a new GM in tow. Yes GM's like to hand pick their coaches but I don't think it will be hard to find someone who would be willing to give him a final proving year to see what he can get done with a new opinion making personnel decisions. We are talking about a man who in his first 2 years took the Jets to within a few points of the Super Bowl TWICE. In two years he changed the expectations of the franchise from league laughingstock to an 8-8 season being a major disappointment.

However, if he does not fix his issue of pride regarding his defense, he surely will not remain a head coach for very long.
    Very solid post. Not much to disagree with here, even for the most avid of Rex fans or haters.

BTW I still believe in Rex. Give him a no-nonsense GM who does whats best for the team, and have Rex focus only on coaching what he's given. He seems to excel at that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up..appreciate the work. So I read this as REX saw who beat him.... and hired him. VERY POOR BY REX.

The Ravens had REX as a DC for many years and wouldn't hire him.

They go to a DB coach in Philly who is so superior to REX. make no mistake, the Ravens management said.."THAT BUFFOON is not representing this organization! Good DC but not HC material.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree 100% that his overconfidence and over-loyalty to players could be his ultimate downfall. However when you look at the 3 bolded points you made, the question has to be asked....why is Rex responsible for any of them?

Our problem lies with the overall leadership and direction of the NYJ Football Operations, and the fact that THERE IS NONE.

Yea Rex said the quote about HOlmes, but he shouldnt have this much clout when it comes to personel, he isnt the GM. Rex can tell his GM to get someone, but its the GMs job to say, "wait, why is an organizatino like the steelers giving him away for $.40 on the dollar.

Same thing with Tebow - Rex should not and does not have final say on trades. That was a mistake from our idiot owner and again Tanny not having any way to stand up to Woody, or have a person in between he and Woody to offer Woody guidance.

As for sparano, he has not been the problem. This team needed dicipline and accountability, so Rex found an OC that gave the team that. If you look at some of the evaluations of our games, the plays are there, its the execution that isnt.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's called HUBRIS:

Hubris ( /ˈhjuːbrɪs/), also hybris, from ancient Greek ὕβρις, means extreme pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power.

The adjectival form of hubris is "hubristic

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post.

I think many here have forgotten that Rex is a rookie coach and will be expected to make mistakes. My hope was that the guy would grow in his job and get better. Unfortunately, however, I haven't seen much of that.

The rhetoric has been toned down a little over the years but but Rex still runs his mouth way too much. Also his Achilles heel of ignoring the offense (as you nicely chronicle) hasn't changed at all. So I haven't seen all that much growth. Which is too bad since I like Rex and think he has a lot of good qualities that could help his success. But he has to stop making the same mistakes over and over.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please, no more rookie head coaches.

Let these guys cut their teeth elsewhere. Let another franchise bear the brunt of their inexperience. Let another franchise provide their on the job training.

I'd rather have a head coach who has failed with another NFL team than a head coach who has never coached another NFL team.

Please let our next head coach be someone with NFL coaching experience.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex believes football is ALL coaching. If you are a great coach, you will win, no matter what players you have.

Rex believes he is a great coach. And if someone is to beat him, that means they are a great coach or player.

That is why Tebow and Sparano are Jets. Along with the Tebow publicity of course.

Coaching is more important in the NFL than any other sport. But this team has overrated coaching and underrated talent and character.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex inherited the teams that went to the AFCCG. Now that it's time to build his own team, he is FAILING miserably. He has no idea what it takes, and the old bean counter certainly ain't helping. On top of that you have the ring leader in Good Wood, what a doofus he is.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This actually sums up Rex perfectly, and to be clear I am hoping we can keep him and clear out the FO to establish a better power structure. But his biggest flaw is that he thinks someone beating him means they are good. Tony Pauline mentioned that in league circles they were ridiculing Rex when he was bringing in all the Dolphin rejects. But as another poster mentioned, Tanny SHOULD be the guy making the decisions. Rex should not have this much control over the system.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Your points are well taken, but actually, it goes worse with Sparano because they never even really scored much on the Jets since Rex has been here. Two kickoff returns for a touchdown and a Shonn Greene fumble returned for a touchdown beat the Jets at home in 2009, the Jets lost 10-6 at home in 2010, they beat them in Miami in 2010, and they lost in Miami in 2011 when the Jets offense went completely dead. So the funny part is, Sparano's offenses really didn't do much of anything when they played the Jets since 2009.

Edit:- At that time nobody was complaining about the Holmes trade, in fact basically every Jets fan felt that they had heisted him away from Pittsburgh for a 5th round pick. The rationale, like you point out, as to why they got him at the time was probably flawed (i.e. because he had beaten Baltimore), but nobody at the time could argue that a 5th round pick for a guy that talented who was entering the prime of his career was a bad move.
    Last edited by Jetfan16; 10-05-2012 at 11:55 AM.