Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tinstar GM Philosophy

All Pro

The Tinstar GM Philosophy

Premium positions: Money players :
    QB : RB : LT : OC :

QB : Overall team Leader and backbone of the team: The only person in the Franchise more Important should be the owner. We don't have that.

RB : Must be elusive more than speedy with the ability to catch the ball and block to some degree : We have a candidate

LT : Must be able to run block and pass block equally effective: We don't have that

OC : Must be stout at the POA and able to control the OL : We have that

43 Defense: Money players:
    DE : NT : CB : We have candidates:

34 defense : Money Players :
    OLBer : NT : MLB: CB : We have Issues :

The Pass rush is of utmost importance on any defense.If u can rush the Passer, Kyle Wilson can be an all pro CB.This comes from the ends in the 43 and the OLBers in the 34.
    You must be able to stop the run and push the middle of the pocket which makes it imperative to have a quality NT in either defense.In both schemes, you need atleast 1 inside/middle LBer who can run and hit. These are the players where you spend your money and the rest you make sure can support around these core players.

Here is the problem with the Jets. When your 2 best players are a CB the other team can avoid and a WR who need someone else to get him the ball or the other team can take away,you are doomed.

The Jets no longer have these 2 players so now, they have to play football . The so-called 2 best Players on the Jets are not even the most important players any football team need to succeed.

This team is now better off. It's in bad shape, but it's better off.

We don't have 4-3 edge rushers... Wilk and coples would ideally play inside in a 4-3

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    We don't have 4-3 edge rushers... Wilk and coples would ideally play inside in a 4-3
    Yes we do :

Coples should be an edge rusher and the guy on the other side should be Mcintyre: That Kid can get to the QB and over power most OT and RBs.His Problem is, he can't play in space as a LBer. This Jet Coaching staff is dumb as a box of rocks.

And Wilkerson would be a solid 3T DT

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Yes we do :

Coples should be an edge rusher and the guy on the other side should be Mcintyre: That Kid can get to the QB and over power most OT and RBs.His Problem is, he can't play in space as a LBer. This Jet Coaching staff is dumb as a box of rocks.

cant wait is right. Coples and Wilk would both be DTs in the 4-3. Coples is too slow to be an outside rusher. They are both "tweeners" IMO. I would like to see us get a legit edge rusher and have them bulk up and move inside.

Thanks for posting. Good read and I agree with just about everything.

I think defensively we have the tools to compete in both the 3-4 and 4-3.

I think we're underestimating Ellis's ability to crash the pocket (he may end up being our best player on defense once Revis is gone)

I also think Maybin can be a quality 3-4 OLB - if the pocket is being collapsed. Speed rushes work if the QB can't step up into the pocket.

Offensively we're a mess, one thing I would disagree with you, D'brick is a quality LT (maybe not the best run blocker but he's a sold player, we're fine there)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yes we do :

Wrong! Coples is not an edge rusher, not even close. He's not fast enough.

Coples best year at UNC was at DT where he had double digit sacks. If he came out that year he was a legit top 5 pick. He went back to school, moved to DE and he really struggled. His stocked dropped and the rest is history.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    cant wait is right. Coples and Wilk would both be DTs in the 4-3. Coples is too slow to be an outside rusher. They are both "tweeners" IMO. I would like to see us get a legit edge rusher and have them bulk up and move inside.

Go tell that to Chris Long and Justin Tuck . One of the Fastest players on the Jets is Aaron Maybin and he don't play because he doesn't have what Coples has. He can't beat anyone at the POA. Maybin Needs Revis and Cromartie to make a sack. Speed in the DL or at OLBer is over-rated.You need power and a variation of moves to throw at the OT. Maybin has neither and that's why he doesn't play. His sacks comes on QB who hold onto the ball forever.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post

Coples best year at UNC was at DT where he had double digit sacks. If he came out that year he was a legit top 5 pick. He went back to school, moved to DE and he really struggled. His stocked dropped and the rest is history.
    Yada yada yada . Watch the Player.

Coples? Sorry. Too slow from outside rush. Not big enough for true DT. A blunder. Plus he had an attitude problem at NC.
    Relative to NC. The level of line play in the ACC is eh. Plenty of weak sisters in the league.

He is best suited as a DT, but Rex refuses to play him against bigger O lineman? Which is just abiut the entire league. So why was he drafted?

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    He is best suited as a DT, but Rex refuses to play him against bigger O lineman? Which is just abiut the entire league. So why was he drafted?
    He is best suited for DT in the ACC. Powerhouses like Duke, Wake Forest, Maryland, NC State, BC, Virginia. Get the picture?
    The draft was a mistake. He's not terrible, just not a difference maker.

Yes we do :

Coples is not a 4-3 DE, he can be a very good 4-3 DT or a IMHO a really nice 5-tech. Think Justin Smith in terms of body type (NOT saying he will be that good, just saying you don't have to be 315-320 to play 5-tech).

RB is not a premium position. You can be a really good team without even an average RB. Pats, Packers, and Giants are proof of this, Saints to some extent as well

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    He is best suited for DT in the ACC. Powerhouses like Duke, Wake Forest, Maryland, NC State, BC, Virginia. Get the picture?
    I realize this, was being really sarcastic on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    I realize this, was being really sarcastic on this one.
    Not looking for a fight. LOL. Just expanding on the concept.
    Like looking for a FB from Kentucky. Or a DB from Boise. Or Maine. Or UMass.
    The Jets ever hear of the SEC? Kentucky doesn't belong there BTW.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post

You mean the conference that is second behind the SEC in first round picks? The one that had the following picks? (Kuechkly, Coples, Branch this year).... so all those teams just don't get it, I guess.

2006 Mario Williams, NCS .......Texans ............. 1st
    2006 D’Brickashaw Ferguson, UVa .....Jets .............4th
    2006 Vernon Davis, Md. ............ 49’ers .............6th
    2006 Ernie Sims, FSU ................. Lions .............9th
    2007 Calvin Johnson, GT ............ Lions ............2nd
    2007 Gaines Adams, Clem. .......... Bucs .............4th
    2008 Chris Long, UVa. ................ Rams ............2nd
    2008 Matt Ryan, BC .................Falcons .............3rd
    2009 Aaron Curry, WF ......... Seahawks .............4th
    2009 Darrius Heyward-Bey, Md .... Raiders .............. 7th
    2009 Eugene Monroe, UVa. ..... Jaguars .............8th
    2009 B.J. Raji, BC ....................Packers .............9th
    2010 C.J. Spiller, Clem. ................Bills .............9th

All Pro
    And then there are all those guys that come from small schools that Palmetto wouldn't deign to bother with... after all, they're not from the SEC...

Tony Romo- Eastern Illinois
    Terrell Owens- Tennessee Chatt.
    Donovan McNabb- Syracuse
    Brian Westbrook- Villanova
    Randy Moss- Marshall
    DeMarcus Ware- Troy
    Osi Umeniyora- Troy
    Jared Allen- Idaho State
    Jason Taylor- Akron
    Chad Johnson- Oregon State
    Steven Jackson- Oregon State
    Brian Urlacher- New Mexico State
    Brett Favre- Southern Miss
    LaDainian Tomlinson- Texas Christian
    Antonio Gates- Kent State

I stopped reading at don't have a LT. Pfffffft.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Seems to always come back to D, comical.

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    You mean the conference that is second behind the SEC in first round picks? The one that had the following picks? (Kuechkly, Coples, Branch this year).... so all those teams just don't get it, I guess.

2006 Mario Williams, NCS .......Texans ............. 1st
    2006 D’Brickashaw Ferguson, UVa .....Jets .............4th
    2006 Vernon Davis, Md. ............ 49’ers .............6th
    2006 Ernie Sims, FSU ................. Lions .............9th
    2007 Calvin Johnson, GT ............ Lions ............2nd
    2007 Gaines Adams, Clem. .......... Bucs .............4th
    2008 Chris Long, UVa. ................ Rams ............2nd
    2008 Matt Ryan, BC .................Falcons .............3rd
    2009 Aaron Curry, WF ......... Seahawks .............4th
    2009 Darrius Heyward-Bey, Md .... Raiders .............. 7th
    2009 Eugene Monroe, UVa. ..... Jaguars .............8th
    2009 B.J. Raji, BC ....................Packers .............9th
    2010 C.J. Spiller, Clem. ................Bills .............9th

I happen to love the ACC. They paid for two of my children's educations. Saved me over $180k. But in all fairness, and forget the above, there are a few decent players, the Pac 10, Big 12 and Big 10 provide a better quality player. THe SEC is off the chart.
    Of the above list, Williams and Johnson are excellent. We'll see about Spiller. The others are ok. Obviously Adams is not.