Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Major major problem - why there will be no improvement

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

The Major major problem - why there will be no improvement

You keep hearing during the week how good of a practice this team is having, or how a player is developing.

Many have accused Rex of overhyping players, myself included. But maybe, just maybe, there is a different issue.

Since we have one of the least talented rosters in the game, void of real talent and playmakers on both sides of the ball (esp with Revis and Holmes IRed), maybe Rex is telling the truth.

Maybe during the week, these guys look like world beaters when playing against each other. However, when Sunday comes, and there is real competition with NFL level talent, the passing windows get tighter, the game speed is quicker, and they are simply not used to seeing it or able to adjust.

Think about it. You go from having to try to tackle Shonne Greene, or rush against Austin Howard, to chasing CJ Spiller, and getting manhandled by a Jake Long.
    Just a thought.
    Last edited by One Eye; 10-05-2012 at 01:50 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think people are starting to complicate things and look in the wrong directions as to why this team is struggling...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    They practice against each other... it's no wonder they look good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I think people are starting to complicate things and look in the wrong directions as to why this team is struggling...
    Is there a simple answer to this atrocity?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    They practice against each other... it's no wonder they look good.
    So then you're saying that when Rex says the Wilkerson is going to have a huge year, Maybin has been unblockable, and Shonne Greene will have a big year, he is just blowing steam?

Or do you think something in practice gives him these intuitions?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    You keep hearing during the week how good of a practice this team is having, or how a player is developing.

Many have accused Rex of overhyping players, myself included. But maybe, just maybe, there is a different issue.

Since we have one of the least talented rosters in the game, void of real talent and playmakers on both sides of the ball (esp with Revis and Holmes IRed), maybe Rex is telling the truth.

Maybe during the week, these guys look like world beaters when playing against each other. However, when Sunday comes, and there is real competition with NFL level talent, the passing windows get tighter, the game speed is quicker, and they are simply not used to seeing it or able to adjust.

Think about it. You go from having to try to tackle Shonne Greene, or rush against Austin Howard, to chasing CJ Spiller, and getting manhandled by a Jake Long.
    Just a thought.
    I find it funny that you would show up here on October 5th and start a thread about something that knowledgeable Jets fans have been talking about for a year and a half.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    And those directions would be.............?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greener Pastures View Post
    I find it funny that you would show up here on October 5th and start a thread about something that knowledgeable Jets fans have been talking about for a year and a half.
    Show up here? YOu have 24 posts. Newbies.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Show up here? YOu have 24 posts. Newbies.
    OK, Football Einstein.

Go back to coaching you kids flag team.

You're adding no value here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, Football Einstein.

My kids are not old enough to play flag football, but Im old enough to know before you take an insult, check the source.

Last i checked, i started the thread. No need for you to be here enlightening little uneducated folk like myself with your infinite wisdom.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, Football Einstein.

btw...congrats. You made it to the Practice squad.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    btw...congrats. You made it to the Practice squad.
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

I guess if I started enough assinine threads, I'd have a higher post count. Like you.

But, back to your original premise. Are you suggesting that the Jets don't have talented players?

Wow, I've never heard that before.

Keep ingratiating us with your football insights.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

I guess if I started enough assinine threads, I'd have a higher post count. Like you.

But, back to your original premise. Are you suggesting that the Jets don't have talented players?

Wow, I've never heard that before.

Keep ingratiating us with your football insights.
    No, you'd have a higher post count if you kept your original name, before you probably got kicked off.

Welcome back. Im sure it wont be for long.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought.
    i definitely think the defense believes its better than it is b/c they practice against the jets d. as for the offense, they can't score against most defenses.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i definitely think the defense believes its better than it is b/c they practice against the jets d. as for the offense, they can't score against most defenses.
    Im just at a loss as to what the coaches see that Greene and Sanchez are not even in danger of losing their job. It's the only logical explanation besides calling the staff outright liars.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is not true. With everyone writing off the season, we are where we thought we'd be at this point minus the injuries. I mean, everyone looking at the schedule in the pre-season knew this was the hardest part of the schedule and expected we'd be at 2-3 after the Texans game after facing some of the best defenses in the league.

Now is the time for the young guys on the back of the roster to step up. We all know the roster will be blown up after the season and it's time to seize the opportunity to be a starter. I'm looking at Powell, McKnight, Grimes, Hill, Schilens, Gates, Jason Hill, Hilliard, Ducasse, Schladerauf, Reuland, Cumby, Wilson, Berry, Lankster, Bush, Davis, Mauga, Maybin, Sapp, McIntyre, Ellis, Harrison, Coples. I think you will see a lot of new faces as the season progresses. I think we all can agree we don't want Holmes in the locker room and it's time to find some leaders. Hopefully some will emerge.

I'm confident we will get the running game back on track as we start facing lesser defenses and get Keller and Hill back. I think you are already starting to see some young guys getting more playing time on D as the coaches try to get more speed on defense -- Mauga, Davis, Coples, Maybin (hopefully).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    I think this is not true. With everyone writing off the season, we are where we thought we'd be at this point minus the injuries. I mean, everyone looking at the schedule in the pre-season knew this was the hardest part of the schedule and expected we'd be at 2-3 after the Texans game after facing some of the best defenses in the league.

Now is the time for the young guys on the back of the roster to step up. We all know the roster will be blown up after the season and it's time to seize the opportunity to be a starter. I'm looking at Powell, McKnight, Grimes, Hill, Schilens, Gates, Jason Hill, Hilliard, Ducasse, Schladerauf, Reuland, Cumby, Wilson, Berry, Lankster, Bush, Davis, Mauga, Maybin, Sapp, McIntyre, Ellis, Harrison, Coples. I think you will see a lot of new faces as the season progresses. I think we all can agree we don't want Holmes in the locker room and it's time to find some leaders. Hopefully some will emerge.

I'm confident we will get the running game back on track as we start facing lesser defenses and get Keller and Hill back. I think you are already starting to see some young guys getting more playing time on D as the coaches try to get more speed on defense -- Mauga, Davis, Coples, Maybin (hopefully).
    I hope we see a bunch of new faces as well. While I TOTALLY agree with the fact we have played some great defenses, there is a difference b/t getting beat, and getting annihilated. I mean, we looked like we did not even belong on the field. That's the scary part.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this has been a long week and if the Jets beat the Texans, it's been a lot of wasted emotions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The players that do well in practice are guys that give max effort all the time. It's the same reason why some guys look awesome in Preseason. Come gameday, almost everyone is giving 100%, so you're not going to win a battle just by outworking the other guy.

Coaches like guys that practice hard, but there are many players that don't like practice and just decide that they'll save it for Sunday. You saw this on Hard Knocks this year with John Jerry, a guy on the Dolphins offensive line. The coaches were all over him in practice for being lazy, but he was consistently outperforming everyone else in the actual games. He got the starting job because ultimately it's the games, not practices, that matter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought.
    You do realize that your entry into the KOOL AID club is severley diminished by this accurate post.