Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trade deadline and rule changes

trade deadline and rule changes

does anyone think tanny is going pull something off to improve this team.

NEW YORK (AP) -- The players' union has approved a rule change that will allow one designated player to return from injured reserve and play this season.

The NFL Players Association also agreed to move the league's trading deadline back two weeks to after games in Week 8.

NFL owners voted for both changes in May. But the union had to sign off on them and did so Thursday, six days before the regular season kicks off.

One "marquee" player placed on injured reserve will be able to return to practice after the sixth week of the schedule and to the lineup after the eighth week. That player must be on the 53-man roster after the final preseason cut, which comes Friday.

Moving the trade deadline could create more action than in the past, when teams rarely moved players at the deadline.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz28S1AusmX

I do think Tanny will try to make a move before the trade deadline.

Originally, I thought it would be a running back. I actually still feel that will be the most likely position they trade for.

I do not think it is out of the realm of possibility that MJD will be a Jet this season. It is a doable trade given both team's salary cap situations.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post

NEW YORK (AP) -- The players' union has approved a rule change that will allow one designated player to return from injured reserve and play this season.

The NFL Players Association also agreed to move the league's trading deadline back two weeks to after games in Week 8.

NFL owners voted for both changes in May. But the union had to sign off on them and did so Thursday, six days before the regular season kicks off.

One "marquee" player placed on injured reserve will be able to return to practice after the sixth week of the schedule and to the lineup after the eighth week. That player must be on the 53-man roster after the final preseason cut, which comes Friday.

Moving the trade deadline could create more action than in the past, when teams rarely moved players at the deadline.

I can not recall a team that had no chance of winning that season pull off a trade in-season. If we were contending maybe. If we are the team dumping a player to a contender, maybe.

But the idea we are going to trade in-season for a top notch player that will cost money and draft picks when this team needs to be rebuilt and Revis resigned is not happening in mho.
    Last edited by One Eye; 10-05-2012 at 02:44 PM.

I wish we could get a player like Pierre Thomas.

Just a good running back who is beyond underutilized.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

lol. dont you think we have enough good, underutilized RBs?

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    I can not recall a team that had no chance of winning this season pull off a trade in-season. If we were contending maybe. If we are the team dumping a player to a contender, maybe.

But the idea we are going to trade in-season for a top notch player that will cost money and draft picks when this team needs to be rebuilt and Revis resigned is not happening in mho.
    I agree that it shouldn't happen.

But, given this owner's desire to grab a headline, and the fact that his GM is a lap dog, I wouldn't put it past them.

I could see MJD here within 3 weeks, for a couple of 2nd round picks...and, of course, a big contract extension.

Foolish football move, but just the type of thing Woody loves...a headline grabber.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Greener Pastures View Post
    I agree that it shouldn't happen.

But, given this owner's desire to grab a headline, and the fact that his GM is a lap dog, I wouldn't put it past them.

I could see MJD here within 3 weeks, for a couple of 2nd round picks...and, of course, a big contract extension.

Foolish football move, but just the type of thing Woody loves...a headline grabber.
    Not to mention he is 28 with a ton of tread. Sounds like the perfect move for this organization actually.

Jets Insider VIP
    We will make 0 moves. Woody knows we must stay the course. Winning games is not the goal anymore. 2-14 and Geno Smith is.

All Pro
    Not to mention he is 28 with a ton of tread. Sounds like the perfect move for this organization actually.
    There was a thread on this(trade for MJD) . It didnt go well.

Id be down for a trade anytime, as long as its not a rent a player for this season. This season is done. Longer term would be good.

Hall Of Fame
    Tanny should have all of his trading privileges revoked immediately. Unless it is a trade that nets us picks and I do not mean 3 7th rounders in exchange for our first.

Financially, it makes a lot of sense for the Jaguars. They have enough cap space to eat the rest of MJD's guaranteed money. And, I don't think they have any interest in extending him.

And, unfortunatley, the Jets have enough unused cap space where they could afford to pay his salary for the rest of this season.

It's all shaping up.

And, it would provide Woody with what he wants, a couple of days of back page headlines on the Post and the Daily News.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

I love Thomas; I was shocked to see the niners bottle him up in the playoffs. Thomas gets good yardage; but how much of that is based on an elite passing attack? I'm asking; not criticizing. He can make guys miss in that crazy spread NO runs.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Tanny should have all of his trading privileges revoked immediately. Unless it is a trade that nets us picks and I do not mean 3 7th rounders in exchange for our first.

By the way I am not saying this just to say this. I think Tannenbaum has to be aware that the voices calling for him to be fired are getting louder. His only motivation at this point would be to bring in a short term fix because that is the only thing that has any hope of saving his job. This is a perfect recipe for more shortsighted sort term relief but at the expense of the long term health of the franchise. Very dangerous IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We will make 0 moves. Woody knows we must stay the course. Winning games is not the goal anymore. 2-14 and Geno Smith is.
    +1 except the Geno Smith part

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post

Trading Tanny would be the best move!

Jets Insider VIP
    +1 except the Geno Smith part
    OK, what qb at #1 then?

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Pastures View Post
    I do think Tanny will try to make a move before the trade deadline.

Originally, I thought it would be a running back. I actually still feel that will be the most likely position they trade for.

I do not think it is out of the realm of possibility that MJD will be a Jet this season. It is a doable trade given both team's salary cap situations.
    Why would the jags trade MJD and why would the jets trade for a guy that makes 6mill when they don't have that much cap space. The jets may finish under 500 this year. Do you really want to give up that pick for a 28YO back.

All League
    We'll probably trade for like two or three more CBs.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I love Thomas; I was shocked to see the niners bottle him up in the playoffs. Thomas gets good yardage; but how much of that is based on an elite passing attack? I'm asking; not criticizing. He can make guys miss in that crazy spread NO runs.
    The good thing about Pierre Thomas is that he is a complete back. He can run, catch, and block. He also has a physical and elusive style of running that this offense clearly doesn't have in our faux g&p

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    OK, what qb at #1 then?
    This still remains a mystery