Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: GM dept. : " ....8-10 GM's could be on shaky ground " ~ ~ ~

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    13,740

    Arrow GM dept. : " ....8-10 GM's could be on shaky ground " ~ ~ ~


  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    13,740
    Maybe Tannenbaum IS Setting Mark Sanchez Up for Failure

    > http://thejetpress.com/2012/10/04/ma...p-for-failure/

  3. #3
    "overall, hes done a very good job. " - are you f'ing kidding me?

    Tanny should have been fired 4 years ago. That said, barring 4-12 or worse, he isn't going anywhere. It will take an epically bad record to generate the fan/media pressure on Woody that might push him into taking action. Otherwise, this is an owner who has held no one accountable in 12 years. The only people who get "fired" simply get reassigned in the organization (Bradway, for one). We are stuck with Tanny for at least another year and probably many more. It is as depressing a time to be a Jet fan as the Walton era.

  4. #4
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    "overall, hes done a very good job. " - are you f'ing kidding me?

    Tanny should have been fired 4 years ago. That said, barring 4-12 or worse, he isn't going anywhere. It will take an epically bad record to generate the fan/media pressure on Woody that might push him into taking action. Otherwise, this is an owner who has held no one accountable in 12 years. The only people who get "fired" simply get reassigned in the organization (Bradway, for one). We are stuck with Tanny for at least another year and probably many more. It is as depressing a time to be a Jet fan as the Walton era.
    Well, you're off-base - Tanny is a solid GM. Rex influences Tanny, as Rex is football royalty in a sense. But Tanny took over a huge mess in 2005 and they were in the hunt for the SB, repeating the effort again. That says "great planning" and only one losing season? Why dump Tanny?

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ
    Posts
    2,438
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Well, you're off-base - Tanny is a solid GM. Rex influences Tanny, as Rex is football royalty in a sense. But Tanny took over a huge mess in 2005 and they were in the hunt for the SB, repeating the effort again. That says "great planning" and only one losing season? Why dump Tanny?
    I think they should pull a Bradway. Reassign Tanny as a cap specialist and bring in a football guy responsible for finding talent.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Well, you're off-base - Tanny is a solid GM. Rex influences Tanny, as Rex is football royalty in a sense. But Tanny took over a huge mess in 2005 and they were in the hunt for the SB, repeating the effort again. That says "great planning" and only one losing season? Why dump Tanny?
    Well the reality is we have gotten closer to the SB with Rex coaching Mangini's players and the more Rex & Tanny control the personnel on the roster the worst we have gotten.

  7. #7
    Tanny should just be a cap specialist, like the old days. The Jets promoted him to GM because there were other teams interested in making him GM years ago, and the Jets did want to lose him in their FO. Woody loves him, 1) Because he's a yes-man and 2) He knows how to work the "books" and saves Woody $

    The ideal situation, get a real GM who knows how to make personnel decisions & let that GM make ALL personnel decisions like a real NFL team is supposed to do! Move Tanny back to his old title...if he leaves or another team steals him as a GM (highly doubtful), so be it.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Well, you're off-base - Tanny is a solid GM. Rex influences Tanny, as Rex is football royalty in a sense. But Tanny took over a huge mess in 2005 and they were in the hunt for the SB, repeating the effort again. That says "great planning" and only one losing season? Why dump Tanny?

    Really? The Jets were a playoff team in 2002 and 2004, and only missed the playoffs in 2003 and 2005 because Pennington was injured. Wow, what a mess indeed. Please. Tanny started off with a few great draft picks - Mangold, Brick, Revis - and that's where it ends. Seven offseasons to find a pass rusher (just one!) since John Abraham left town: failure. The entire 2007 season wasted because of his mishandling of Pete Kendall. A headline grab in 2008 with Favre that ended in embarrassment as Pennington won the division with Miami. I'll give Rex most of the credit for the back to back title games, since we clearly didn't have that type of talent (lucky to even make the playofs in 2009 - thank you Curtis Painter). And then in 2011 Mike T let Damian Woody walk with no clear backup (shades of Pete Kendall again in 2007) once again destroying a season. Tanny is the only GM who drafts a QB in the top 5 and instead of building the talent around him, dismantles it piece by piece so the QB is a shell of himself after 4 years. I haven't even mentioned Tebow, or Santonio Holmes (gee, I wonder why a perenially winning organization like Pittsburgh would dump the guy for a 5th rounder? They're still laughing at us), or the countless draft picks traded (we had a 4 year stretch where we selected 17 players, while NE picked 40 over the same period - gee, I wonder why we suddenly have no playmakers or depth anywhere on the roster). Oh yeah, and we still don't have a pass rush - again, SEVEN offseasons later.

    That's why.

  9. #9
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,514
    Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    Well the reality is we have gotten closer to the SB with Rex coaching Mangini's players and the more Rex & Tanny control the personnel on the roster the worst we have gotten.
    It seems that this is the unavoidable "writing on the wall".

    I've been waiting for the hue and cry.

  10. #10
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Really? The Jets were a playoff team in 2002 and 2004, and only missed the playoffs in 2003 and 2005 because Pennington was injured. Wow, what a mess indeed. Please. Tanny started off with a few great draft picks - Mangold, Brick, Revis - and that's where it ends. Seven offseasons to find a pass rusher (just one!) since John Abraham left town: failure. The entire 2007 season wasted because of his mishandling of Pete Kendall. A headline grab in 2008 with Favre that ended in embarrassment as Pennington won the division with Miami. I'll give Rex most of the credit for the back to back title games, since we clearly didn't have that type of talent (lucky to even make the playofs in 2009 - thank you Curtis Painter). And then in 2011 Mike T let Damian Woody walk with no clear backup (shades of Pete Kendall again in 2007) once again destroying a season. Tanny is the only GM who drafts a QB in the top 5 and instead of building the talent around him, dismantles it piece by piece so the QB is a shell of himself after 4 years. I haven't even mentioned Tebow, or Santonio Holmes (gee, I wonder why a perenially winning organization like Pittsburgh would dump the guy for a 5th rounder? They're still laughing at us), or the countless draft picks traded (we had a 4 year stretch where we selected 17 players, while NE picked 40 over the same period - gee, I wonder why we suddenly have no playmakers or depth anywhere on the roster). Oh yeah, and we still don't have a pass rush - again, SEVEN offseasons later.

    That's why.
    The contracts were a mess; the cap was a serious problem. Curtis Martin and Chad contract; Abe was still with us in 2005 - his contract meant he had to be traded; he was franchised...

    You make some good points but you have a superficial understanding of others.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    The contracts were a mess; the cap was a serious problem.

    I'm sorry, who was in charge of the cap all those years?

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    7,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Really? The Jets were a playoff team in 2002 and 2004, and only missed the playoffs in 2003 and 2005 because Pennington was injured. Wow, what a mess indeed. Please. Tanny started off with a few great draft picks - Mangold, Brick, Revis - and that's where it ends. Seven offseasons to find a pass rusher (just one!) since John Abraham left town: failure. The entire 2007 season wasted because of his mishandling of Pete Kendall. A headline grab in 2008 with Favre that ended in embarrassment as Pennington won the division with Miami. I'll give Rex most of the credit for the back to back title games, since we clearly didn't have that type of talent (lucky to even make the playofs in 2009 - thank you Curtis Painter). And then in 2011 Mike T let Damian Woody walk with no clear backup (shades of Pete Kendall again in 2007) once again destroying a season. Tanny is the only GM who drafts a QB in the top 5 and instead of building the talent around him, dismantles it piece by piece so the QB is a shell of himself after 4 years. I haven't even mentioned Tebow, or Santonio Holmes (gee, I wonder why a perenially winning organization like Pittsburgh would dump the guy for a 5th rounder? They're still laughing at us), or the countless draft picks traded (we had a 4 year stretch where we selected 17 players, while NE picked 40 over the same period - gee, I wonder why we suddenly have no playmakers or depth anywhere on the roster). Oh yeah, and we still don't have a pass rush - again, SEVEN offseasons later.

    That's why.
    This is a great summary of Tannenbaum's career - it should be on his resume.
    He is the ultimate example of the Peter Principle at work.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Well, you're off-base - Tanny is a solid GM. Rex influences Tanny, as Rex is football royalty in a sense. But Tanny took over a huge mess in 2005 and they were in the hunt for the SB, repeating the effort again. That says "great planning" and only one losing season? Why dump Tanny?
    Why dump Tanny? Tanny is skilled at cap manipulation and that is it.

    - His is not a Football talent evaluator which to me is much more critical.
    - Rex as a coach needs to win now, the GMs job is to keep the team competitive for the future. In this he has failed miserably.
    - The team has no cap room and few players whose contracts can or should be reworked.
    -The team has consistently used draft picks for players in the last year of their contracts- Farve, Holmes, Cro, Braylon (had 2 1/2 years)
    -He then consistently traded up in the draft using more picks.
    -His reworking of Revis contract was a disaster for the jets, He gave up way to much for two additional years.
    -His pursuit of Aso and the reworking of older players contracts to free up the money to do so resulted in the jets overplaying for Cro and now making
    Scott and Pace un cuttable this year.
    - Signing a 29 YO lb to a 8 mill a year contract for years past his effectiveness.
    - His failure to improve the jets talent evaluation staff.
    - His failure to keep the owner out of the day to day matters, specifically, Farve, Tebow, hard knocks and Last years ESPN camp-out.
    - This year the jets go into the off season with both safeties, 3 olineman, 4 LBs, and Devito, Shnon Greene and Keller needing to be replaced.

    I won't mention individual draft picks over the last 4 years, the draft is a crap shoot.
    Last edited by patman; 10-06-2012 at 11:53 AM.

  14. #14
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    I'm sorry, who was in charge of the cap all those years?
    Bradway...your game is weak.

  15. #15
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,514
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why dump Tanny? Tanny is skilled at cap manipulation and that is it.

    - His is not a Football talent evaluator which to me is much more critical.
    - Rex as a coach needs to win now, the GMs job is to keep the team competitive for the future. In this he has failed miserably.
    - The team has no cap room and few players whose contracts can or should be reworked.
    -The team has consistently used draft picks for players in the last year of their contracts- Farve, Holmes, Cro, Braylon (had 2 1/2 years)
    -He then consistently traded up in the draft using more picks.
    -His reworking of Revis contract was a disaster for the jets, He gave up way to much for two additional years.
    -His pursuit of Aso and the reworking of older players contracts to free up the money to do so resulted in the jets overplaying for Cro and now making
    Scott and Pace un cuttable this year.
    - Signing a 29 YO lb to a 8 mill a year contract for years past his effectiveness.
    - His failure to improve the jets talent evaluation staff.
    - His failure to keep the owner out of the day to day matters, specifically, Farve, Tebow, hard knocks and Last years ESPN camp-out.
    - This year the jets go into the off season with both safeties, 3 olineman, 4 LBs, and Devito, Shnon Greene and Keller needing to be replaced.

    I won't mention individual draft picks over the last 4 years, the draft is a crap shoot.
    I'm sick to my stomach that I have to answer you, the troll that knows nothing (don't you have clams to dig up?), but here goes:

    http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/tannenbaumreview.php

    But there is a track record here. You have a front office that took over a mess in 2005 and by 2009 was close to a Super Bowl. Since they overhauled the Bradway roster they have not had a losing season. Maybe this will be the first but I think there has been enough shown to keep things consistent up front and let them go through another QB experiment. Hopefully both the GM and the head coach will have learned from their mistakes in the way they brought Sanchez along and do better the next time around. Its not easy finding a QB and the fact that in this era the Jets have had so much success without one is pretty impressive. I think if they tweak a few more things with how they do business they can right the ship pretty quickly.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Bradway...your game is weak.

    Wait, Bradway was the cap guy? Not Tanny? Do you follow the Jets?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I'm sick to my stomach that I have to answer you, the troll that knows nothing (don't you have clams to dig up?), but here goes:
    What are you talking about? What part of my post was incorrect?

    I understand that it is difficult to find a QB, but why has he not surrounded Mark
    with players that will let him succeed? Mark has shown in 2009 and 2010 that he can be a complimentary QB. Mangini left him with a Running game, and a superior oline and a very good defense.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Tanny should just be a cap specialist, like the old days. The Jets promoted him to GM because there were other teams interested in making him GM years ago, and the Jets did want to lose him in their FO. Woody loves him, 1) Because he's a yes-man and 2) He knows how to work the "books" and saves Woody $

    The ideal situation, get a real GM who knows how to make personnel decisions & let that GM make ALL personnel decisions like a real NFL team is supposed to do! Move Tanny back to his old title...if he leaves or another team steals him as a GM (highly doubtful), so be it.
    I 100% agree with this

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us