Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you take Pioli?

All Pro
    Matt Cassell was his boy....need you say more about talent evaluation?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Forget Polian - he's too old. Basically he quit working once Manning was drafted.

I don't like Pioli either. His draft / personnel record in KC has been fairly suspect.

I'd much rather have a young guy on the staff from an organization with some long term success - Green Bay, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Giants.
    +1
    What Woody should do is hire a guy like Packers Ted Thompson to be President, and give him Full control of Football operations.

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/te...4-98064f608dbb

I thought that as well so I looked up his draft & FA record.

DRAFT

Pioli has had 4 drafts with KC. Here are his #1 choices:

2009 Tyson Jackson
    2010 Eric Berry
    2011 Jonathan Baldwin
    2012 Dontari Poe

Only Berry could be considered an impact player. Jackson is a JAG and the other guys are backups. Not very good at all.
    Not to mention Jackson was the #3 pick overall (albeit in that terrible 2009 draft). Not good.

really good point. the successful teams ave great owners and gms and then it filters down to the coaches and players. woody really hasn't a really football oriented gm. tanny is a good numbers guy but not a good talent evaluator.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post
    My philosophy is that it takes a team to build a team.... meaning that its not the head coach alone, its not a GM alone - you need both. College is quite different - hence the success of Saban as a recruiter/coach.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    terrible 2009 draft
    Seriously. Look at picks 2-12 from 2009. Except for Raji, what a bunch of spuds:

LT Jason Smith
    DE Tyson Jackson
    LB Aaron Curry
    QB Mark Sanchez
    LT Andre Smith
    WR Darrius Heyward-Bey
    LT Eugene Monroe
    NT B. J. Raji
    WR Michael Crabtree
    DE Aaron Maybin
    RB Knowshon Moreno

Sadly the Jets own three of them.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 10-06-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Practice Squad
    If Cleveland ends up cleaning house because of a new owner, why not get their GM? He's given them some young talent.

Seriously. Look at picks 2-12 from 2009. Except for Raji, what a bunch of spuds:

LT Jason Smith
    DE Tyson Jackson
    LB Aaron Curry
    QB Mark Sanchez
    LT Andre Smith
    WR Darrius Heyward-Bey
    LT Eugene Monroe
    NT B. J. Raji
    WR Michael Crabtree
    DE Aaron Maybin
    RB Knowshon Moreno

Monroe has been beasting at LT for Jax from last season into the early parts of this one. But yea the rest have been pretty garbage.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post
    then why did Parcells and Belly bring him everywhere?
    Parcels tried to take Tanny from us, and make him a GM before he was our's. I don't think Tanny's making the decisions around here anyway. He probably should start.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Parcels tried to take Tanny from us, and make him a GM before he was our's. I don't think Tanny's making the decisions around here anyway. He probably should start.
    Thats probably because Pioli was with Belly already.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Monroe has been beasting at LT for Jax from last season into the early parts of this one. But yea the rest have been pretty garbage.

I remember Monroe's inconsistent start to his career. But PFF ranked him at a decent level last year.

2009 Wikipedia

Monroe started his first regular season game at left tackle in week one of the 2009 NFL season against the Indianapolis Colts. As of midseason, Monroe's play was inconsistent by most accounts.[9] He missed week four with an illness, and was also benched in week five. Monroe played in 15 games with 13 starts during his rookie season.

2010 Rotoworld

In 2010, Pro Football Focus ranked him just 61st among offensive tackles in terms of pass pro. He also sagged as a run blocker, and no player at the position gave up more QB hits.

2011 PFF

Monroe has graded out as the 12th best left tackle this season by Pro Football Focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    +1
    What Woody should do is hire a guy like Packers Ted Thompson to be President, and give him Full control of Football operations.

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/te...4-98064f608dbb
    Sadly Woody Johnson's track record doesnt give us hope that he will ever take a back seat. I think it is the biggest issue for the JETS to overcome

LT Jason Smith
    DE Tyson Jackson
    LB Aaron Curry
    QB Mark Sanchez
    LT Andre Smith
    WR Darrius Heyward-Bey
    LT Eugene Monroe
    NT B. J. Raji
    WR Michael Crabtree
    DE Aaron Maybin
    RB Knowshon Moreno

Just terrible. The rest of the round is better, but still not great. Highlights include Percy Harvin, Clay Matthews' pharmacist, Hakeem Nicks, Alex Mack, Brian Orakpo, and Brian Cushing's pharmacist. Three of the best players in the draft (Wallace, Webb and McCoy) were taken outside Round 1.